INDECENT PROPOSAL

Written in response to: Start your story with a character accepting a bribe.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

 Fez gave a bag containing money as bribe to Velcro – the mediator.  Mediator was a high office and Velcro had a lot of power. He had been appointed by the king of Rubi Isle on account of his knowledge of the laws of the land and his ability to amicably settle disputes. Rubi Isle was on planet tellus – earth’s twin about 800 years younger, evolving. Velcro didn’t open the bag or count the money. He left it standing on the table where he sat while Fez sat near him.

Now I come to Fez. He was a hereditarily rich man who owned agricultural farms. Besides he was a pawn broker which business he ran alongside his gold jewellery trade. He would also buy back jewellery. He would be tough with those who did not pay interest or delayed return of borrowed money. To ensure smooth operation he had trained security men who would act against defaulters.

Fez naturally had enemies. One was Taq who was a social worker a sort of good samaritan. People who had grievances would approach him seeking redressal. He would take cases to be resolved to high officials such as the mediator. Decisions would be sought regarding deficiency in service or revision of fines imposed. These actions would irritate Velcro as his rulings would have to be revised at times.

Take sample cases dealt with by Velcro:

TAQ: A fish monger FM had borrowed money from Fez and hadn’t returned the loan. Fez’s security staff had severely coerced and made him return the money. Fez had been unusually harsh in dealing with the debtor. FM had borrowed money for medical treatment of his aged mother and had promised to pay back the borrowed money within another month along with interest thereon. Fez could have waited.

FEZ: FM has taken loans several times and has always delayed repayment. That is because he is a gambler. Unless I take coercive action I won’t get back my money.

VELCRO: Fez do not speculate on the habits of borrowers.

FEZ: In pawn broking I’ve to be alive to the habits of people. If loan defaulters are left without action, I would’ve to stop money lending.

VELCRO: Taq, in this matter you have has no case. The debtor has been habitual in delaying repayment of loans.  Fez seems to have been large hearted to again and again loan money to the defaulter.

In another case of pawned jewellery it was alleged that Fez had returned only part of pledged jewellery.

TAQ: Fez has cheated. 

FEZ: The weight of the jewellery had been entered in our records when the loan was granted. It was again weighed while being returned to customer. It was accepted.

TAQ: Customer says the pawned piece had been tampered with.

FEZ: It’s incorrect.  In fact when the dispute arose it was discovered that customer had pledged a piece of impure jewellery resulting in a larger amount being loaned.

VELCRO:  Customer’s allegation not substantiated.

In another case:

TAQ: It is said Fez uses false weights on the balance and that his estimation of the purity of gold in pledged articles is inaccurate. He needs to be charged under fair practices act.

VELCRO: Fez you’ve to answer.

FEZ: I deny the allegations. Everyone says I’ve been fair and people patronise my shop in consequence. If my reputation was questionable, would people come to my shop? I’ve always adhered to playing fair. My weights may be checked. Such charges are being cited to defame me.

VELCRO: Fez, your answer is convincing. I suppose Taq was only alleging perhaps what your competitors allege. I again say a man opens a shop to make a living. If false charges are levelled against him he could close the business. Fez has run his shop with fair dealings or his business would have collapsed. I get a feeling that someone is trying to pull Fez down from his high standing in the trade. Taq, you must come with proof for sustaining the allegations of citizens who approach you.

The cases would go on in that manner. Velcro would side whoever had more money. He had an itching palm and his decisions were based on money received under the table.

Getting back to Fez and his money bag in Velcro’s office, the mediator simply returned it to him.

Under the apprehension that Velcro doubted the amount, Fez said “I’ve put in an extra 10% in this year’s payment to you.”

Velcro laughed and said “You know I trust you and your payment of bribes to me are always correct. But this year I want a bribe of a different kind.”

Fez was surprised and asked “What is your wish? I’ll try to fulfil it if I can.”

Velcro said “This fellow Taq has increasingly become a nuisance in his so called attempt to help what he calls the common man. It would be best if he is eliminated.”

Fez said “That is something not in my hand.”

Velcro laughed and said “You’re giving up easily! I didn’t mean killing him. He could be made to flee Rubi Isle.”

Fez said “Even that would be difficult as he is quite popular. And why should he run out of RI?”

“I’m coming to it. You’re a big fish in pawn broking. Even Taq is one of your customers.”

“Yes. He presents one face to the public and another to me. When he wants a big sum he comes to me. He is a charioteer and has ordered one. I’ve advanced him the money with severe penalty clauses.”

 Velcro said “I know the amount you have advanced him for the chariot. I also know our neighbouring kingdom of Zygos wants him to move there as he is an expert charioteer always winning races. They want him as a racing coach but he is resisting.” Velcro paused and added “Tell him you’ll write off the loan provided...”

Fez asked “What is the condition?”

“You know he has a beautiful daughter, only 16. Say you want to see her in the altogether say when bathing. That is all and he won’t be required to return the loan.”

Fez was shocked and said “I’m not sure he will agree. His wife could certainly object.”

“Try it and we will see.”

Fez was a bit nervous about approaching Taq with Velcro’s proposal but he had an obligation to do so. Gathering up his courage he met Taq and said “Taq we’ve been friends since long. I’ve lent you money for the new chariot. I’ll waive the loan if only you would allow me to see your daughter while she is in her bath. Just see let us say, a moment.”

Taq didn’t show any emotion nor did he respond instantly. He was in deep thought. He finally said “It’s a very difficult request. Give me time to think. I’ll, may be, reply to you tomorrow.”

No reply came. Fez waited a week. Again no answer. Velcro sent for Fez. When Fez came he said “Taq has migrated to Zygos. He is to set up their charioting team. Since he won’t be repaying the loan taken from you for the chariot, take this money bag. You’ll find in it the money you had advanced for Taq’s chariot.”

“I want your goodwill more. I’ll write off the amount.”

Velcro said “Fez I’m no doubt corrupt but I won’t extract money from sincere clients like you. I’m glad you’ve rid me of that nuisance Taq. Take your money and go.”

Both Velcro and Fez were satisfied with the deal.

END  

August 16, 2022 06:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.