17 comments

Adventure Fantasy Romance



AN ORANGE CAT IN ROME





A week’s just too short.


Especially when that’s all you’ve got left to live. Tightness grips my throat, like someone’s choking me.


Dr. Gottmann places a hand on my shoulder until I feel its warmth penetrating my skin. Doctors don’t usually do that. They’re austere. Scientists. Cold. When they do that, things must be bad. Real bad.


My only symptom is this intermittent tingling behind my ears. Otherwise, I'm perfectly fine, with energy to burn. I still sport my teenage mullet, graying as it may now be. I’m not prepared to die; I still feel my best years are still to come. Which makes it all the more absurd. Even cruel.


I stare into the void while Dr. Gottmann fills out endless papers for more therapy for each day I've got left. What is even the point? All the therapy in the world won't stop the tumor from invading the innermost quarters of my brain. It's already there knocking on the doors of my sancta sanctorum, and by the doctor's estimate within some seven days I'll be meat for the worms. It's incredible how this damn thing got so deep inside of me so quietly and so stealthily. Little did I think of that tingling when I first felt it about a year ago.


I take a long, hard look at my life. Forty wasted years of could’ve-beens. Nothing salvageable. Nothing of worth. And this it. Last station. All change please.


I look at my pocket mirror and try to recognize the man looking back at me. The eyes are welling up, the chin is shaking. All that I ever lived for is going to waste. I might as well not have lived at all. That is when, without warning, she comes back to my mind.


Rosalba. 


If nothing else, there was her. I’ll go find her again! For one last time. Whatever it takes. Fuck therapy. Fuck everything else.


I met Rosalba three decades ago, I was an exchange-student at her college in Rome. It was love at first sight, second sight, hundredth sight; Rosalba was the soul of my semester-long Dolce Vita. We’d meet again, we said, we’d never forget each other. She dreamed of coming over to California. I also dreamed she would.


Then we lost touch. Our correspondence fizzled out. She wasn’t getting my letters. Someone at the college was taking them away before she’d get to see them. I’d get hers asking why I’d stopped writing. But I hadn’t!


Then she stopped writing too. She must have given up.


It ended that way. My most beautiful page, turned. I was seventeen. A downhill spiral followed. The Summer of Love. LSD. A man walked on the moon. More LSD. I walked on moons of planets circling other suns. The lights of Vegas flickered and danced with diethylamide's mellow yellow, red, green and pink. Lucy in the sky with diamonds. Cheap sex. Threesomes, foursomes. Nothing sums.


“Shoo! Shoo!” 


This cat’s been following me since I got off the taxi that brought me from the airport to the city center. Of all the people in Rome, she took a liking to me!


“Already told you – got no food! Do my shoes, by any chances, smell of fish?"


I give up. She’s pleased when I stroke her, purrs, and looks deep into my eyes. Hers are large and grey and lovely. Her orange fur is soft and too clean for a stray. 


I’ve no clue where to start looking. I’ve no address. Rosalba never took me home to her Catholic parents. It would’ve been a scandal back then. Right under the Pope’s nose! That's why, after I left, I used to send her letters to the college address. Hopefully the college keeps trace of its alumni. Maybe Rosalba isn’t even in Rome anymore. My heart races. I’ve no time to waste. She must be married by now. She won’t want to see me! My blood freezes. I really don’t know what I’m doing. Why I even came here.


But the cat knows what she's doing. She walks steadily ahead of me, confidently, from time to time looking behind her tail to check if I'm still there. I simply follow.


Traffic-choked streets give way to that magnificent traffic-island that is the Colosseum. Once, men tore each other's flesh with swords inside this arena, or were fed to starved lions, merely for the crowd's amusement. Today's bloodiest Netflix series was a live show back then. Now, tourists gleefully take selfies upon selfies, all smiles and white teeth, with the backdrop of that ancient blood-tainted arch-laced building behind them.


“So you’re gonna be my tour-guide!” I tell my newly-found feline friend. She seems to agree. Okay. But I haven't come to Rome to see the sights.


Flashing memories of Rosalba’s first showing me the Colosseum juggle for space in my head. She shed a tear when she explained its dark history to me. Now, as fate wants it, I’m here with a cat!


We walk on. I get fleeting temptations to suddenly change course and lose the animal. But they say it's impossible to lose a cat. They'll find their way back to you, if that's what they want. They can choose to abandon you, but you cannot abandon them. Besides, I’m somehow getting to like this cat.


Next on Kitty’s Tour is the Pantheon. She stops at the doorway, as if she knows she can't get in, and sure enough she's still there waiting for me when I get out again. Rosalba and I once gazed at the evening sky through the famous round hole at the top of the dome. 


“Thousands of years ago, lovers like us looked at those same two stars up there, felt the same thing,” she said, face glowing in her usual dreamy glimmer. I loved the dreamer in her most of all.


Who knows, come this evening, when the bright glare of the Roman sun finally surrenders to the night sky, if those very two same stars will kiss again tonight for anyone looking through the hole in the dome?


In Rome, some things truly never change. Thirty years on, the cobbled Piazzas are exactly as I remember them. The same restaurants, same wobbly tables, same inviting smell of pizza. I’m from the land-of-the-movies, of twenty-four-frames-per-second; my mom used to say that she could see that celebrated Hollywood sign from the window of the hospital ward where I was born. There life flickers by rapidly. Not so in the Eternal City. In Rome, things stay the same. Except that now Rosalba’s not by my side.


The cat mingles with the open-air patrons of La Antica Pizzeria, packed as always. Locals and tourists alike abandon their pizzas to stroke her. She leaps onto a table where a father and three kids, two girls and a boy, are eating, nearly toppling the father’s enormous glass of red wine. Eight hands rush to pat her.


It all comes back to me! Rosalba and I at that same spot! Rosalba stood on that very table, where the father and kids were eating, for a ‘magic-photo’ (that's what they called instant photos in Italy, back then) with my Polaroid.


She was stunning, in a coral A-line dress, against a backdrop of purple bougainvilleas clinging jealously to the ancient stone-wall. I expected the waiter to tell us off. Back home, you stand on a restaurant table and you're kicked out quicker than you've come in. Instead he instructed me to also get on the table for a photo with her. He told us to kiss. It was embarrassing. We’d just met in class for the first time earlier that day, I passed her a note, and she accepted to take me around after school; we certainly hadn’t yet kissed.


Solamente per la foto! Just for the photo,” he insisted, catching a hint of our uneasiness.


We kissed. And then again. And again. The waiter kept snapping away until he used up my whole supply of Polaroid paper.


“Your gatta?” the father asks me about the cat.


“No!” I say instinctively. But at once, I repent: “Yes, yes, mine…”


È bellissima!


I feel a strange sense of pride in his compliment about a cat that wasn't even really mine.


The cat jumps off from the table back to me, and we continue with our excursion. I recognize the two-lion fountain I used to pass by everyday, on my way to the college.


Excitement and melancholy hit me hard, both at once, with equal force. The college is my only ticket to somehow, perhaps, reach Rosalba. Maybe she accepts to have a café macchiato with me, while her kids are at school and her husband isn't back home yet. Just that. To look into her eyes one more time like back in the day.


And then I can die.


But my hopes are immediately dashed. The Fascist-era edifice is boarded up, decrepit. There is no signage stating where the educational institution has moved to or if it still exists at all. There is indeed no clue at all that this place was once a thriving college, such is its state of dilapidation. It's an undignified end to a place that hosted so many first kisses, first heartbreaks, so much emotion.


We trudge ahead blindly, cat and I, through winding streets so narrow that they seem dark even though it's still daytime on a very sunny day. Cat leads, man follows. Sadness engulfs me. Just look at me. Such an idiot. I’m ending my short life following a cat!


Old Rome viciously and without warning metamorphoses into a lackluster avenue surfaced in bad asphalt and lined by sun-baked social-housing apartments with flaking amber facades.


Buongiorno,” an elderly lady inside a first-floor apartment greets me dryly from behind a Persian window that must have once been painted bright green. In every ancient street in Italy you’d find a witchy octogenarian prying behind a battered window: the local gossip-gatherer, scandal-police and unofficial neighborhood watch. It’s one other thing that never changes.


Something agitates the cat. Her tail twists and curls, her back humps.


“What’s wrong, kitty?” 


A speeding car breaks the wistful silence, screeching on the cracked asphalt. The cat crosses the street in panic, narrowly missing the car’s front wheels. But not the back ones. I squeal. The driver gets out, cursing, barely sparing the flattened cat a glimpse as he inspects the fenders of his Alfa-Romeo with great concern.


A tuft from the dead cat’s fur gets blown over to me, landing on my cheek. I catch it and press it against my face. It smells nice. The scent takes me down memory lane. ‘Extasi’ by Silvestri. Rosalba’s perfume! I’d bought it for her with my hard-earned student cash stacking boxes at Walmart.


As the Alfa-Romeo tears out of the scene and pulls precariously into the driveway of a nearby apartment block, the old lady behind the Persian window that was once painted in bright green makes her opinion known:


“That man, he squashes what he doesn’t like.”


A uniformed school-girl, nine years old, more or less, emerges out of the same driveway where the Alfa-Romeo has pulled in, and dashes towards me to see what has just happened.


“That’s exactly where mom died,” she tells me.


I’m still trembling.


“Dad ran over her. An accident, he says, the judge said so too,” she continues in fast, successive gulps. She has an Italian accent, but speaks good English. She knows I'm not a local dude.


“Dad made mom’s nose bleed that day. She said she was going to the police-station. He chased her by car, that’s when it happened.” She speaks so fast I can hardly catch what she's saying.


Her tangerine hair reminds me of Rosalba’s. Her flushed cheeks too.


She digs vigorously inside her schoolbag. 


“This is my mom.” She shows me the Polaroid of Rosalba on the wobbly table, fold creases running through it in two directions.


The girl fixes her eyes onto mine. She seems to be thinking profoundly and only speaks again when she's done examining me.


“Are you the man-from-the-moon?” she finally asks. “Mom was once in love with a man from a place as far away from here as the moon. You’re like him, because he had long hair too. Only his was gold not silver.”


“If she was in love with the man-from-the-moon,” I speak through tears, “then why did she marry your father?”


“Because the man went back to the moon! He forgot about her.” With that she chuckles and shrugs one shoulder, and sets off: “Bye now. Dad doesn’t like me talking to strangers.”


I clench the tuft of fur. I now understand everything. The cat. The re-lived love tour. The car accident. It all adds up. Rosalba’s waiting for me! She has been all this time. Somewhere between here and the moon. I’m ready to go now.


Only thing is, I can't wait to be with her again...


A week’s just too long.









February 25, 2023 15:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Martin Ross
16:42 Mar 10, 2023

So stunning and beautifully told, and the climactic revelation truly stabbed me with heartfelt feelings. To tell such a lovely, poignant, tragic, personal story with such relatable, credible emotions is the essence of great writing. And in such an artfully portrayed setting! The older I get, the more I appreciate the fundamental innocence and restorative truth of children and animals. My grandchildren so often strip away the petty, cruel, senseless BS of the adults around them. “That man, he squashes what he doesn’t like.” In modern America...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
14:39 Mar 10, 2023

Ooh. I liked this. Nice change of perspective from how it started to how it ended. Fascinated by the banter between the two kindred Kens. First time reading anything by either. Thanks for liking my 'Blacktop and the Bucket Babies'. Such an honor coming from talent like yours.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gabriela Wels
14:04 Mar 10, 2023

This was so... poignant. I was so consumed by your story I knew I had to comment! Like I said, it was so poignant and bittersweet. I regret the loss of the cat and of Rosalba. How sad to love someone but they think you do not! But I loved the re-lived romantic walking tour and the appearance of the little girl. At least now, he has some closure, sad though it is. Have you been to Rome? I feel like I could see it through your descriptions as you led us on this tour. Your final line reflects your first line, although now he no longer fears d...

Reply

Ken Miles
14:22 Mar 10, 2023

Hi Gabriela, Thanks for reading and commenting. I'm pleased AN ORANGE CAT... hit a chord with you. It's a sad and hopeless affair at first, true, but with hope injected into to it towards the end... hinting at everything being temporary in this world, except for love and life (and Rome!). I specialize in "feel-bad stories" (well, yes, I'm a monster, what can I do! I have my feel-bad anthology coming out in book-form shortly. And, btw, I have come up with some feel-good pieces too), but I particularly like this one, because it's got this bi...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KT George
13:49 Mar 10, 2023

Lovely, heartbreaking story. Rome is a perfect setting for the trip down memory lane (although quite a bit of walking! I'm exhausted just thinking about the number of steps he made that day! lol). For some reason, I heard Hemmingway a bit in this. Maybe it was the first-person narrator.

Reply

Ken Miles
14:42 Mar 10, 2023

Hi KT George, Thanks for your kind comment! You mentioning Hemingway in the same sentence about something written by me is the best thing that happened to me today! I'd (humbly) love to be compared to Big H - I admire both his writings and lifestyle. I'm honored. Sorry for the walking - yeah, I know it's quite a lot for a day. And especially for a man who's supposed to be under medical observation (although, I did say he threw all caution about that to the wind). Talking of walking, it's incidentally the other W-thing I love doing - Wri...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:55 Mar 09, 2023

Hi Ken I really enjoyed your story. I once visited Rome and it was like being back there again. Brimful of life and the interweaving of past and present. Very sad, but this did not detract in any way. Made the story more poignant. Well done.

Reply

Ken Miles
12:39 Mar 10, 2023

Hi Helen, thank you for taking the time to read my story and comment on it, much appreciated. I'm pleased the story resonated with you, and brought you back precious memories of your visit in Rome. As you also noted, I think that this location was necessary for my story to take off the page: the intertwining of past and present, holy and profane, eternal and mundane that Rome presents aplenty mirror the strong emotions that must play out in the mind of someone who's just received the bad news my character has... K.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mustang Patty
15:21 Mar 04, 2023

Oh my! Such a sad story, but with a happy ending. Great job with the prompt, and Good Luck in the contest, ~MP~

Reply

Ken Miles
11:52 Mar 06, 2023

Thanks for reading and commenting, Mustang Patty. Yes, I suppose it's a sad read throughout (and I'm sorry, I had to kill a cat - but it's for a higher purpose, believe me!), but in the end things do look bright, don't they? The first sentence is turned around in the last sentence... Good luck to you (and Simba) too in the contest. Cheers, Ken

Reply

Mustang Patty
15:56 Mar 06, 2023

Hi, Ken, Thank you for your kind words, ~MP~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
07:51 Mar 03, 2023

Hi Ken, It’s a wonderful story, but it needs to be re-arranged, and re-written of course. Now, you and I know, that you’ve written stories that were so good I (I didn’t get in a fist-fight, true, or an outright brawl I'd have to admit, so let’s just say that I was adamant that your words not be changed in any way and) I already thought that they were perfect. We both know that. This story has your talented writing and skillful composition throughout, as such, it’s already a pleasure to read. But I would like you to delete this comment and...

Reply

Ken Miles
16:30 Mar 03, 2023

Hey Ken, I get you on moving things along quicker. And start with Rome. Throwing Dr Gottmann's diagnosis in the past would be a good thing, I suppose, because as important as it may be, it's only part of the backstory. But then there are already many flashbacks from a more distant past... it can get a bit too entangled. I tried to separate the past from the present through the mere use of different verb tenses (and therefore avoid those three-asterisk breaks)... Re-arranging the whole thing in a way that the protagonist already knows wh...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ken Miles
16:44 Mar 03, 2023

...the more I re-read your re-write the more I like it... ... and re-like it... If it's indeed also Rosalba's husband running over the cat, the whole thing would be more solid: I'm going to have to bring in some changes to incorporate at least that element... And the line: 'That man, he squashes what he doesn’t like.' It's got to get in! I'll try to fit it in...somehow.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ken Miles
18:48 Mar 03, 2023

Ok, comrade, your perfect line “That man, he squashes…” is in. I had to add a new character (and tried to make her fit the scenery) to say those words. But with your words in, I feel the story got another Amazon star. And now we know who the driver of the Alfa is.., Thanks, man.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Lesedi Ntuli
19:40 Nov 28, 2023

I loved how this story made me feel sad, nostalgic and hopeful.A really good read

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ken Cartisano
04:21 Mar 15, 2023

Ken, I read the story to my cat, and he didn’t understand why the cat was orange. I thought I’d screw around with him and said, “Because he’s in Rome, Binky.” And he was like, “Really? What, is it a law, or genetic, or some, something in the water? Are you saying all cats in Rome are orange? Or are you saying all orange cats are Roman?” And I was like, “Don’t you know your Roman Cat History? Crikey Binky, where’d you go to school?” And he said, “At your house.” And I realized I hadn’t taught him much about cats. Other than how to purr. ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.