1 comment

Holiday

                  THE BEE

Since I came to this village six years ago, I have keenly observed that my old grandmother spends her new year in a rather unusual way. Not once have I observed her go to the farm to plant vegetables on the first days of January. According to her, farming means plenty of food to her family throughout the year. She also farms to act as a role model to the youth, who, according to her, are generally lazy. Therefore, she prefers farming on the new year celebration day to merry-making.

I once witnessed old granny take her cattle to the dip herself on a first day of January.On that day, she said that she wanted her shepherd to rest and took it upon herself to take the animals to the cattle dip six kilometres away."Why are you straining youself granny?"I had asked, "Can't you go to church and let the youngman do his duty?" With a grin, she had informed me that she finds it pleasurable relieving people from their tough duties during special occasions. Our neighbour, who happened to see granny with the cattle dashed into our house and demanded to know why we were subjecting granny to streinous work. He left with laughter after my little brother informed him that granny was performing the duty voluntarily.

On another occasion, granny decided that we do not drive to town for the new year's celebration. She persuaded us to trek to town. She had said that she wanted to reduce the chance of air pollution by avoiding her car. On that day, she had said, everyone was going to drive to town. In the long run, there would me very much exhaust of petrol fumes into the atmosphere. As a retired paeditrician and environmentalist, she still wanted to lead others by example. At first, I found the task a hard nut to crack. However, when I realized that my younger brother was more enthusiastic about the picnic, I gained courage and took the bull by the horns. What puzzled me was her walking speed. I could occasionally run to keep her pace. On the other hand, Tommy, my brother was sweating heavily but on the same track with granny. I wondered where an old woman like her got the zeal to be that determined. Several motorists had stopped their engines by us and requested to take us to town without success. Grandmother had simply shrugged her shoulders in refusal. My toes were full of unpleasant blisters by the time we reached our distant destination. On the contrary, granny still insisted that we could walk back home in the evening. She could only do me a favour of buying me a new pair of sandals to make my swollen feet comfortable.

Last year, she went to Tumaini Children home during the new year's eve and requested the Manager for a unique thing: to entertain the children by drumming the Isukuti and dancing for them. The children were excited to host her. At first, they had observed her with fear and wondered why such an old person would opt to dance for them. They later joined in the music and dance and shook their young bodies with amazement. By the end of the day, the children had been fully entertained. The following day, granny took out several copies of children's storybooks, distributed them among them and enjoyed reading with them. She could occasionally interrupt their reading and interpret the stories to them. The chidren were extremely amused by the old woman's peculiar behaviour. Some of the children had suggested that when they grow up, they would be as selfless as old granny and reach others whenever need could arise. The manager of the home had greatly expressed his gratitude to her and encouraged her to be paying them a visit often.

Today, being a new year, she has come up with the most unique plan for the day: she is visiting Khaunga Maternity and Nursing Home. Not is she going to check on her former fellow professionals. She is specifically going to help the nurses at the nursery to offer specialized medical care to the innocent kids who entered the world prematurely. As the doctor in-charge ushers her into the nursery in her full medical regalia, one of the nurses of twenty or so looks at her with curiosity, her keen eyes perusing my grandmother's somehow wrinkled face. "Good morning Ana, here comes Nafula, a very specialised peaditrician, she is going to assist you people in nursing the innocent angels till evening," said the doctor. At first, the nurses on duty appear to be doubting granny's competence. She discovers this through the way they curiously search for her ability by monitoring her handle the preterm babies. However, she competently dispenses medicines and performs diagnostic tests and procedures on the babies in a very impressive way. The younger professionals, who have identified her medical expertise, frequently make enquiries to her.

In the afternoon, a woman in severe labour visits the medical facility. unfortunately, the foetus is in a Footling Breech position- a very dangerous medical condition of the day.The nurse at the maternity ward appears troubled. should she recommend the patient for an urgent caesarian section? She quickly seeks the attention of her colleagues at the nursery. My grandmother overhears their talk. "Can I be of help to you?" She confidently enquires. In the shortest time possible, she examines the patient whose labour pain has advanced and quickly performs an external cephalic version medical procedure on the patient. In a short while, the foetus turns in a head-down position and gets delivered successfully. It is such a cute baby-girl. Both the mother and the nurses are happy about the successful turn of events on the first day of the year.

She leaves the hospital in the evening a happy old woman. As she stretches her tired feet on the couch, she encourages us to be spending our time to do good to all, especially when they least expect.


December 31, 2019 15:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mildred Okwako
07:57 Jan 08, 2020

Thanks a bunch for letting my story appear on your website

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.