13 comments

General

 I plan on enjoying myself until I discover his picture on the back table with the label "The Departed." In disbelief, I take hold of his picture frame to get a better view of the image in the photograph. Again my hands become clammy and cold as tears saturate my eyes. I realize the man in the picture is my old friend Renny. I should have told him how much I always appreciated his love and friendship. I am unable to find words to express the mountain of regret that swells in my memories of him. I whisper to myself, " Renny, I'm sorry I never told you what you wanted to hear."


In the fall of 2014, I attend my high school class reunion. It is the evening I learn I lost a dear friend to an unexpected illness. His name was Rene, but I remember him as Renny. He came into my life in junior high school back in the late eighties. 


It is the first day of the seventh grade. Our teacher, Mr. Gregory, articulates each name in alphabetical order with ease as he takes roll. The students answer with either a sweet or husky voice to match their gender. A deep voice answers from the back of the room to the name Miss. Rene. The students burst into uncontrollable laughter. Mr. Gregory's face turns a cherry-red along with his nose. He announces sheeple, "Mr. Rene, I apologize for my mistake. Please forgive me. Class, you need to settle down." 


I turn around in curiosity with the rest of the class, only to behold a hazel-eyed boy glancing back. His jet black hair shines against his sandy dark tan. I am sure I even blush when our eyes meet. My heart stands still. I know I am in love with the boy with a froggy voice.


As time would have it, my puppy love soon fades into friendship. My fickle young heart shortly moves on to other conquests. However, for the next two years, we sometimes have long talks on our three-mile walk back home after school. We live in the same neighborhood. I walk as he rides his bike alongside me. Over our junior high years, we become good pals.


By high school, I move on to other relationships. Then the hand of fate finally steps in, and he falls in love with me. I keep him at a distance in the realm of brotherly friendship, while he engages in a three-year pursuit. He and I appear to miss the mark in taking our relationship to the next level, as they say. 

 

Later in college, he even dates my best girlfriend, Maryanne, but it does not last. During the college years, he manages to make the Dean's List every semester. 

However, he lacks the drive to finish college. Early in his career, he speaks of being a brain surgeon, but he quits college to become the manager of a toy store. As for myself, I graduate in the field of engineering and work for a prestigious firm in town. I take off to pursue a life in a world of money and influence.


Although our paths go in different directions, for the next thirty years, Renny drifts in and out of my life.


Twenty years ago, he and his girlfriend, Prunella, attend my wedding. During my extravagant wedding, she approaches me and comments, "I'm happy for you. Now maybe he will finally get you out of his system." However, Renny and I continue to see each other for an occasional lunch. My husband is aware of our friendship and has no objections.


We last met, about two years ago for my birthday breakfast, he orders buttermilk biscuits with sausage with strawberry jam. "I have never had that before, is it any good?" I respond to his order after he requests two. With his usual boyish charm, he says, "You'll love it! You need to give it a try for me, okay?" I nod in compliance.

To this day, I can not eat a biscuit without thinking about him. "Oh, yes, it must be pile high with sausage and strawberry jam." 


During our meals, we talk about old times and our dreams for the future. I am unable to recall the details of our conversation. I only remember, at the end of that meal, he stops dead still for a moment and takes my hand into his. He gazes into my eyes and says, "This is all I ever wanted. I just wanted to spend time with you and talk." A chill runs down my spine, I flashback to high school and the lunchroom. I am that eighteen-year-old girl who is desperate to escape his advances. Yes, I'm flattered, but I do not feel that way toward him.


I detect a sincere humbleness in his voice and gaze. I pull my hand back, taking a look at my watch. My hands feel cold and clammy, and I know I need to flee before I hurt him with my rejection again. I am married, and my life is moving forward, while he is still that high school boy who loves me. 


"It is almost 10. I need to get going. Thank you so much for the lovely breakfast. I'm meeting my husband at 10:30. I'll call you soon. Goodbye!" I wave goodbye, with a lingering smile. 


"I understand. Happy birthday!" He responds as I rush to go out of the front door. I see his reflection in a mirror as he waves goodbye and throws me a kiss. I find it hard to believe that happened only two years ago. 


That would be our last meal together.


It seems odd that he's been on my mind for the last few months. I even contemplate seeing him at the reunion.


Over the years, I often think of him. It seems that sometimes I do not cherish the people in my life who love me unconditionally despite my faults. Looking back, I should have been braver and spoke my mind.


I find his death makes me see how important living in the moment is. I also realize that I should never hesitate to tell someone I care. Furthermore, his passing brings me to the understanding that love and friendship are the most precious things in life. 


Somehow when my life's focus was on getting ahead, I neglected to cherish the people around me. I married the wrong man. I married my husband, Patrick, for what he could give me and not on how much he loved me.

****

"I noticed you looking at Renny's picture on the table. He was my best friend."

I turn around to look at the man who spoke, I put Renny's picture back on the table.


"I'm guilty, in more than one way."


 "You are Natasha, right?"


I nod my head in response as I say, "Yes, I am. Aren't you, Tommy?" 


He points to his name badge and nods his head, "You have not changed much since high school."


"But, I have. I have changed a good deal."


"He and I were in the band together. We both had a crush on you. I must confess that I still do."


"That is so sweet of you to tell me. Do you know what happened to him?"


"He had been ill for over a year, and then he had a heart attack last December and died in his sleep. Are you okay? Do you need a tissue?"


"He was a good person. I was hoping to see him here tonight." I wipe my tears with the napkin he gave me.


"Let me get you something to drink, while you sit at my table over here with some of my friends. Or are you with someone?"


"No, just me."


He leads me to his friends and pulls a chair for me to sit. 


"Hey, everyone do you remember this cheer-leader gal?"


"Natasha it's Maggie. I'm Tommy's cousin. We had a history class together."


"Hi, Maggie. I do remember you."

He introduces his other friends and walks over to the bar to get us some drinks. The

two other couples move to the dance floor after he leaves.


"Are you here with anyone?"


"No, I'm here alone. My husband, Patrick, died last year in a boating accident." 


"I'm so sorry to hear that."


"We were remarkably different. We were in the middle of a divorce."


 "In that case, Tommy is not married. He still has a major crush on you. He's never been married either, but he came close one time a few years back. The most interesting thing about her is that she looked a lot like you. Also, the main reason he came tonight is he was hoping to run into you again."


Across the dance floor, Tommy stops to look over at the table to wave and smile. Instinctively, I wave and smile back.


"He seems like a nice guy, just like Renny. I remember how he and Renny were always fooling around in band." I wipe my eyes one more time.


"Here's your drink."


"I hear, you still have a crush on me."


Tommy smiles at his cousin and says, "You promised not to tell anyone."


"Well, what are you going to do about it?" I say as I look at him and point to the dance floor.


Tommy put out his hand as he says, "Shall we dance? Come on, let me make up for not asking for dance at our prom."


I take his hand. He leads us into the flashing lights of the dance floor. He puts his arms around me as I say, "You can thank your old friend Renny for this dance."

August 15, 2020 01:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Aristide Mboneye
21:31 Aug 15, 2022

My wife and I will forever remain grateful to Dr Amber for his divine intervention in our lives. My wife and I fled from Burundi to Australia. We got to Australia and life was quite ok but we needed more funds to clear our bills. My wife did some research online to get help in winning the lottery and she got credible recommendations of Dr Amber who gives out lottery winning numbers with his magical spell. We got in touch with Dr Amber and he assured us that he can help us if only we believe in his work. We agreed to proceed with him and we b...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Leah Gerics
21:06 Jun 25, 2022

It’s a privilege to share this to the world. You deserve all the praise that comes to you. DR Amber has been a blessing to me since our encounter on the internet. He alone knows it all. I love him so much for his kindness, care, honesty and his help in the life of everyone that has come in contact with him. If not for DR Amber how would I have been able to survive this hardship. His spell made me a LOTTO MAX winner of 60 Million Dollars making my whole life beautiful and amazing. The numbers he gave me to play the lottery was a life changing...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ramesh Kumar
21:46 Aug 22, 2021

MY Name Hanna Rosin, form, (USA) After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was r...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ramesh Kumar
21:46 Aug 22, 2021

MY Name Hanna Rosin, form, (USA) After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was r...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ramesh Kumar
21:46 Aug 22, 2021

MY Name Hanna Rosin, form, (USA) After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was r...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ramesh Kumar
21:46 Aug 22, 2021

MY Name Hanna Rosin, form, (USA) After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was r...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Febe Anouk
20:56 Sep 23, 2020

I'm so joyful to get my boyfriend back. Breakup is painful, sometimes we pretend to be fine but we are not, fighting to get the one we love back is also fighting to get back our joy and happiness. Lord Zakuza is here to help the broken hearts to get your EX lovers, partners, wife and husband back with he’s powerful love spells. He also specialises on spells to get pregnant, to get cured from any diseases, to win a lottery E.T.C. Get in touch with him through this Email: lordzakuza7@gmail.com or WhatsApp line on: + 1 (740) 573-9483.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Febe Anouk
20:56 Sep 23, 2020

I'm so joyful to get my boyfriend back. Breakup is painful, sometimes we pretend to be fine but we are not, fighting to get the one we love back is also fighting to get back our joy and happiness. Lord Zakuza is here to help the broken hearts to get your EX lovers, partners, wife and husband back with he’s powerful love spells. He also specialises on spells to get pregnant, to get cured from any diseases, to win a lottery E.T.C. Get in touch with him through this Email: lordzakuza7@gmail.com or WhatsApp line on: + 1 (740) 573-9483.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jesna Anna S.
14:59 Aug 21, 2020

Rose, good story! Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Deborah Angevin
12:44 Aug 21, 2020

The strong opening and the warm-hearted, happy ending... I love this, Rose! P.S: would you mind checking out my recent submission, "Yellow Light?" Thank you :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rambling Beth
08:40 Aug 21, 2020

I liked this! The opening and the ending in particular were my favourite parts. I'm glad Natasha and Tommy got to prom dance and know each other even without Renny. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Charles Stucker
10:44 Aug 18, 2020

You have a strong opening and generally good flow to the story. But it slows down as you relate the past. Instead of telling us, give little snippets like the one with Mr. Gregory calling him Miss Rene. Your end is strong in a sweet melancholy sort of way. Good piece overall. A couple of technical points- If they were in junior high in the late eighties, they would graduate in 94, which means 2014 would be the twenty year reunion. Not thirty. However, at 38 they (Natasha and Tommy) have a lot of options which are closed off when y...

Reply

Rose CG
16:22 Aug 18, 2020

Hi, Thank you for all of your specific points of reference. I'll go back and reevaluate all the parts that seem somewhat weak or overdone. I appreciate your time and comments. Stay safe and keep writing!~Rose

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.