The Sandchild

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: End your story with a truth coming to light.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy Fiction


“Constant diligence! We must have constant diligence!” The cry echoed around the long underground hall. A short dragonborn with black scales slammed his hand on the long table before him. “If we don’t find the Sandchild before the imposter king finds it then all will be lost!” He looked around the table, the black scaled dragonborn’s pale blue eyes narrowing as if daring anyone to challenge him.


Another dragonborn at the table stood and spoke up in response to him, “But if we aren’t careful Mentir, we could be thrown in prison.” He glanced around at the others at the table then back at the black scaled male he had called Mentir. “T-Then…All really would be lost.” His green scales rippled with color nervously as he finished and sat down.


There were nods from the others at the table as they agreed. A large male with dark cyan color scales at the head of the table stood slowly. Every pair of eyes turning as he did so.


He had a heavy air of importance surrounding him. He spoke. “I agree with both Mentir and Vert. I do think we should be wary, but now is the time for action, because if not now, then when. We must keep our eyes and ears peeled for any sightings or even the faintest whisper of gossip about the sandchild. For if we don’t…” He paused his pale hazel eyes narrowing. “Then all is lost, and the true king will never reign.” He raised his mug into the air. “For the true king!”


Everyone cried out, the sound reverberating throughout the room. “For the true king!”


****************************************************************************


The library in the capital of Clixpira was a true wonder, or, at least Sablier thought so. He loved the smell of the books and practically breathed in the knowledge held in those walls. Wandering down the granite halls of the Library for the Inquiry of the Mind he smiled to himself, his tail brushing the cool floors.


“Sablier, can you come here?” The calling of his mentor and father figure, Sashithka, dragged him from his reverie.


“Yes Sashi, I’m coming!” Sablier skidded around the corner his pale cream-colored scales catching the sun pouring in from the side hallways windows, sliding to attention right in front of his mentor.


“I’m going out to the market, you look after the library, alright?” Sashithka turned around, his kind older face turning to glance at Sablier through his small golden glasses.


“Awe… can’t I come with you? You know I love the library, but I don’t get to go out very often and the library does practically run itself.” Sablier complained.

The market was the only place he loved more then the library, though the library was home for him, there was a call of the market at the center of Clixpira that he couldn’t explain.

The Clixpira market was the brightest point in the city. The whole city of Clixpira was built in a giant cave. Many skylights in the ceiling of the cave brought the sunlight and the rain to the main parts of the large capital. The largest skylight being just above the cities center and the market.


“Sablier, I need you to take responsibility for the library,” Sashithka’s dark brown eyes narrowed gently “It’s very important for me that you stay here and watch the library. I will only be gone for an hour or so.”


Sablier shuffled his bare clawed feet sheepishly not wanting to make Sashithka disappointed. “Yes, Sashi.”


Sashithka nodded softly, opening the big oak doors of the library his orange-brown tail sweeping some dust out the door as he left.


Sablier growled to himself, now he wasn’t sure what to do. He could obey Sashithka and make him proud, or, he could go to the market by himself. If he left now, he could be back before Sashi even started heading home. He bounced on his toes feeling indecisive. He debated on it for a bit, finally deciding to hurry to the market.

He headed out of the library, a few crescent shaped gold coins in his pocket and a smile on his face. He ran down the long streets narrowly avoiding people as he headed toward the square. His pale scales felt warm in the humid air, the sun was now coming in at an angle casting shadows over half the market center.


He skirted around the markets center keeping an eye out for Sashithka’s orange-brown scales among the others. He felt rather happy as he made his way through the market. The smell of roasting eyoa fruit, wool being sold for rugs, drying cavern dill chips, and all the scents of the market filled his nose. Though tempted by the other smells, he knew exactly what stall he was looking for.


“One eyoa tart, please!” Sablier held out two shining crescent coins to the golden yellow scaled girl around his age at the stall.


“Oh, hello Sablier!” She smiled kindly at him taking the coins. Nudging the short sturdy black scaled male behind her saying. “Brother, one tart for Sablier.”


“Thank you Kogni.” Sablier smiled at her his tail curling around his leg nervously. “So, how’s the business at the stall?” He said trying to start a conversation with her.


“Oh, it’s been well, me and Mentir have been very busy though. Everyone loves eyoa tarts!” Her brown eyes sparkled gently from behind her big black glasses. She then took the tart from her brother handing it to Sablier. “Here you go.”


Sablier grinned taking the tart from her “Mm, thanks!”


He sat down by the stall devouring the tart. It was warm and sweet. The rich syrupy flavor spreading across his tongue. It wasn’t long before he finished the tart and licked his fingers off. Thinking how lucky he was to live here, have the library be his home, have Sashithka, and most of all to have it so easy.


His heart suddenly sped up as he saw Sashithka’s form weaving through the crowd. He panicked slightly and he moved to stand. Then everything went black.


An image appeared before him. He was in the dark, voices muttering strange things around him. On a granite table before him rested an hourglass. Oddly enough the hourglass was filled with blood instead of sand. Though he usually would have found that disturbing it strangely did not bother him then. He felt a calling to it as he moved forward his hand reaching out to seize it. As he touched it, he felt a wrenching in his chest jerking him awake.


Many eyes were staring down at him. His vision blurry as he clutched his head. The shades of the spectator’s scales mingling together in a blur of color.


“Sablier? Are you alright?” Whispered a voice he recognized. Kogni bent over him, her hand over his heart.


“Mm… I’m fine. My head hurts.” Sablier muttered trying to sit up, but her hand forced him back down.


You fell really hard and your heart wasn’t been beating when I reached you.” She said softly keeping her hand over his heart. She then glanced up saying a bit louder to the small crowd gathered around him “He’s fine, just needs a minute to rest.”


As the crowd dispersed Sashithka pushed his way forward. “Sablier! Thank goodness your alright.” As Kogni backed off and Sablier sat up, Sashithka hugged Sablier tight. It was only seconds later that Sashithka’s relief turned into anger. “What happened? I told you to stay at the library Sablier! Yet you directly disobeyed me!”


Sablier shrunk back now. Not wanting to see the disappointment and anger in Sashithka’s eyes. “I’m so sorry Sashi…”


Sashithka shook his head “You could have been seriously hurt. I’m very disappointed” His tail sweeped against the cobbled street and he motioned for Sablier to follow him. “Let us go back to the library. We can discuss this more later.”


Kogni gave a sympathetic look to Sablier as he passed.


When they arrived at the library Sablier chanced a glance at Sashithka’s face, he was surprised to see fear instead of anger or disappointment there.


Sashithka urged Sablier to sit with him. “Sablier… I know you may not think its fair that I don’t allow you to leave very often, but your very special. Its my job to keep you safe.”


Sablier broke in. “But others get to go out. I’m only as special as everyone else.”


Sashithka looked away. “No, you’re more than everyone else. When I found you were like a diamond in the dust.” He then paused glancing up “What happened today in the market?”


Sablier tilted his head. “Uh... Well, everything went black… then, I had a weird dream, vision thing.”

Sashithka perked up slightly “What? Go on.”


“Well it’s been a lot like my weird dreams recently. It’s a little fuzzy now, but it involved a blood-filled hourglass.” Sablier blinked his golden-brown eyes. “Why?”

“Mm. Sablier? You know your little hourglass shaped birthmark over your heart?”


“Yeah...” He glanced down pulling his shirt away a little to reveal the paler scales that where in a shape of two triangles like an hourglass.


“Well, I believe your special. When I found you, that mark was glowing,” Sashithka paused “But, I’ve only read of such things. A magical hourglass that a special dragonborn called the Sandchild guarded.”


“W-what? But I’m not special!? I’m just me, and I don’t guard any hourglass. I…” His voice trailed off. Suddenly all the strange dreams he’s ever had, or times he thought his birthmark ‘caught the light funny’ made sense.


Sashithka looked nervous “I could be wrong, for I never found an hourglass, maybe someone took it and left you. I don’t know.” He sighed. “For the longest time I wanted to deny the fact that you may have a destiny greater than I imagined.” Sashithka adjusted his small golden glasses perched on his nose. “I’ve tried my best to keep you safe, because as you get older, I see it more and more.”


Sablier processed this his head spinning. “I-I’m not even sure what to say.”


Sashithka said “I now just want you to be safe.” He took Sablier’s hand in his. “Please promise me you will stay here and be safe.”


Sablier pondered this for a moment then met his gaze “I promise I will Sashi… I promise”


***************************************************************************

“Lessudo, I believe I’ve found the Sandchild” Said a female voice in hardly a whisper. The tavern the two figures sat in was almost empty.


“Really? What makes you think this person is the Sandchild?” Said another voice, male this time.


“Both me and my brother saw. He collapsed then a birthmark in the shape of an hourglass on his chest glowed.” Her large glasses caught the light of the candle.


“Ah, wonderful work Kogni. The others must know this news. If he really is the Sandchild, this will certainly spell victory for us. The true king will be pleased.” He smiled “Very pleased.”

May 06, 2021 16:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Avid Writer
16:17 May 06, 2021

I wrote this a while ago, I hope yall like it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.