0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Friendship

King Charles is by far the richest and most powerful king of the region, ruling the Easst Region with an iron fist. Queen Albina has been by his side since their arranged marriage when they were both only fifteen.

Wounded in his last battle with the greedy King Mordor of the South Region, his wounds have failed to heal. No medicine seemed to work. No doctor was able to find out why the King's condition keeps getting worse.

One morning after a particularly painful night, the king decides he had better make arrangements for the future of his kingdom. He summons his queen, his son Prince Darian and his most trusted inner circle.

As everyone gathers ther king looks over the faces before him. One face seems to be missing.

"Where is Prince Darian?" he asks weekly.

Queen Albina looks around as well.

"I have no idea where he is, my king."

"He needs to be found."

"Yes, Your Majesty," and everyone sets out to find the rascally prince.

Almost two hours later Prince Darian is located, fishing at a nearby lake with his best friend, Aiden.

"The King has asked for you to be included as he has called the region council together."

"What does he need me for?"

"You will have to ask the King."

"Come on, Aiden. Guess we had better report to his royal majesty."

"Not Aiden. Only you, Prince Darian."

"But Aiden is my best friend. Whatever my father has to say can be said in front of Aiden as well."

"Do not think that would be wise. Just come along. I suppose Aiden can wait outside the castle until the meeting has ended. After all, he is just a pesant boy."

"It is okay, Darian. I can wait outside."

As Prince Darian returns to the castle, the bells ring to signal that he has been found.

Once again the select council gathers around the ailing king.

"As you all know by now, my wounds from our battle with the South Region and King Mordor do not seem to want to heal. So to insure our region remains strong, I have decided to prepare for the worst, should the gods take me from you."

A coughing spell causes the King to pause his speech. The Queen hands him a glass of water. Then he continues.

"I am confident all would be well if Queen Albina were to rule after my death. But I know my kingdom would prefer a king. So today we shall begin preparing Prince Darian. He will need a good queen by his side so let us begin to look for someone suitable."

Prince Darian looks at his mother with a pained look. He had always been told that this day would come. But at fourteen he is not ready. And even less ready to be wed.

In shock at this declaration by his father, Prince Darian turns and rushes out of the room, down the staircase and out the castle door. Aiden is still there waiting.

Prince Darian grabs Aiden by the arm.

"We gotta get out of this place."

"Why? What is wrong?"

"My father thinks he is gonna die soon and wants me ready to follow him as the next king."

"Wow! Did not see this coming. But you would make a great king. Are you not confident in yourself?"

"That is not the problem"

They reach the horses, Jump on and begin to ride away from the castle.

"So what is the problem then?" Aiden asks loudly over the pounding of the horses over the rocky ground.

"He has the council out looking for a suitable queen for me."

They cross the region's main river, ride through the forest to the mountain cave where they have spent many hours playing. They dismount and sit together at the mouth of the cave.

"Would that be so terrible?"

Prince Darian looks Aiden in the eye.

Aiden nervously asks, "What?"

"I think you know."

"What do I know?"

"The is nobody they could find who I would be able to love as my queen."

"I know you are young and do not feel ready. But do you not think you could grow to love whoever they find to be your queen?"

Prince Darian now shifts a bit nervoulsy.

"No. I do not think that would ever be possible."

"Why not? You are a happy-go-lucky fun loving great all around best friend. Any girl would be delighted to be your queen."

"But I do not want a queen!" and Prince Darian sounds almost angry.

"Okay. Something else must be bothering you. Go ahead and tell me what it is."

"I am already in love," the Prince blurts out flatly.

"Great. I am your best friend so you can tell me who."

Without saying a word, the Prince reaches over to his best friend, pulls him closer and leans over to plant a kiss on his cheek.

"What was that for?"

"It is you, Aiden. I am in love with you."

"But..."

"No buts" and Prince Darian leans in to give his best friend a proper kiss.

"Wow! I surely did not see this coming. Does anybody else know?"

"No. I did not know either until my father announced to the council that I needed a queen."

Both boys sit in silence for several minutes.

"I would rather rule with you than any queen they might pick for my or not at all."

At that moment the realization strikes Aiden as well. Deep inside he is in love with Prince Darian. The two then engage in a more passionate kiss.

"So how are we going to remedy this situation?' Aiden asks. "You going to tell your father?"

"If I tell him he will know his bloodline ends with me. The anger that would create could kill him."

"Want me to go with you?"

"No. Do not want him to have a chance to take his anger out on you."

"You know. We would make a great team ruling the East Region."

There is another silent pause before Prince Darian speaks.

"If I tell my father about us, maybe you should stay here for a couple of days, until he gets used to the idea."

Another pause.

"Maybe I should bring you some things and some food to get you through a couple of days here. You got fresh water at the waterfall around the bend."

"You are making me feel like somewhat of an outcast already."

"Better alive than dead."

"So true. Okay but do not tell my mother."

After another passionate kiss and a bear hug Prince Darian leaves Aiden behind and returns to gather some things for his friend.

Wrapping a cloth around his face so he is not recognized he enters the village. In no time he has gathered what he thinks his friend will need and returns to the cave and another bear hug and passionate kiss.

"I think you will be okay. And if my father takes the news well I will return for you immediately."

"You are the one who may not be okay. But however your father reacts rest assured I will be here for you."

Prince Darian then returns to the castle and goes straight to his father's room.

"Come on in, son. Where did you disappear to so quickly?"

"Had some thinking to do and I wanted to be alone."

"Something you can tell me?"

"Not sure but I will tell you anyway. I do not want or need a queen. I have Aiden and the two of us...."

"Aiden! That dirty pesant boy?"

"He is not dirty. And he may be just a pesant boy but I love him."

"Okay, fine. You love him. But all best friends love each other until one of them is wed."

"No, father. It is not just that I love him as a best friend. I am in love with him and he with me. And if I am to rule I want him by my side."

A cold silence follows.

Prince Darian is glad his father is too ill to get out of bed or he would probably be getting a beating.

"I will hear of no such thing. You will have a proper queen by your side."

"And if I refuse?"

"I will denounce you as my son and banish you from my kingdom."

Knowing he could not live without Aiden, even if it meant giving up his chance to become king. Even if it meant giving up his princely life, that is the way it would have to be.

Not giving his father a chance to denounce him and banish him face to face, Prince Darian rushes from the room. He grabs a few things for himself, jumps onto his horse and rides as fast as his horse will go, heading for the cave.

Aiden hears the horse fast approaching and quickly stands. He is not expecting anyone. When he sees it is Prince Darian he is a bit confused.

Prince Darian jumps off his horse, runs to Aiden and grabs him into a bear hug. A passionate kiss follows. He saw that coming.

"You are back so soon. I cannot tell if it went well or badly."

"It is just you and me, kid. I did not give him the chance to say what he wanted to say to my face. Basically if I do not follow the path they have planned for me he will denounce me as his son and banish me."

"Guess you really do love me."

"Aiden. I love you more than I ever dreamed I could love anyone."

"So is it safe to stay here or should we move on."

"Let's go to the cave behind the waterfall. Hopefully nobody else knows it is there. We can ride up to the falls in the river making our trail seem to end...What! Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I love you, Darian."

Twas strange to hear his name without hearing Prince before it.

"I love you too, Aiden."

And they ride for the cave behind the waterfall.

April 07, 2021 04:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.