It took 100 years just so see you again.

Submitted into Contest #1 in response to: Write a story about someone turning 100 years old.... view prompt

0 comments

General


“Captain America was able to live this long” Ella croaked; her voice strained. She wasn’t talking to anyone. The room was empty, the warm orange walls being the only warmth that comforted her. She didn’t understand the reference. What did Captain America have to do with age? Was it because he was a 95-year-old virgin? Or because he cheated and froze for 70 Years?


Captain America didn’t mater not in this moment anyways. Today was the day she would see what she had lost, and Ella was not ready.


Since the world has evolved the government needed a way to control older beings. When someone turn 100, the month, the day, the hour and the exact minute. They bring themselves into the few happy places that they could remember.


“Mommy!” A little girl squealed running from one corner of the room to the other. Ella tried focusing her eyes on the small girl. Her feet bounced after every step she took, and she stopped turning towards Ella. The girl’s friendly smile changed. She stayed silent.


Ella shivered. Almost like a breeze had struck to the room. She closed her eyes trying to calm her breathing. Trying to shake off the visions.


From the moment Ella opened her eyes she could smell the fresh scent of a pie in the bakery near her old home.


She stared. Looking around, nobody could see her. She wondered if there were others like her waiting for their final memory to pass by. To get their happy ending.


She wanted to think of her own happy ending. Would she feel satisfied with the life she had built? Did she provide her family with everything she wanted and needed to?


She felt her head began to swirl before she was brought to another memory.


The young girl from before looked older. Her pigtails had switched for a low bun, the butterfly dress had become a plaid shirt with dark blue jeans. She carried a wooden bucket. The water splashing around as her short legs tried dragging the bucket across the street.


Young Ella stopped for a moment staring through the bakery’s window. She wished she could have one bite of the cherry pie. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “No, mommy doesn’t want me too eat.”


The memory finally faded away, and a new one took its place.


“why can’t I eat mommy?” Ella asked swinging her legs from the chair she was sitting on. Her mother Margaret was currently braiding her hair. Margaret furrowed her eyebrows. “What do you mean sweetheart? We can eat we just don’t have it all” Her mother informed her. Little Ella stared, “oh, so we’re poor?” Margaret stopped. “No little one, the money hasn’t been sent yet.” Her mother replied, moving her fingers along the braid and finishing it. Young Ella seemed to accept that answer. “Thank you, mommy,” She said rushing of her chair to go play with the young neighbour boy Thomas Elton.


20 years later (vision)…


“Where pregnant!” Thomas yelled excitedly. Lifting Ella into the as she giggled at his happiness. “They’re going to be the cutest little boys” Ella said excitedly. Thomas’ eyes widened. “There’s two?!”


Old Ella opened her eyes again, her eyes roaming the room. she got up, her weak legs barely making it to the newfound room. Ella grew anxious, she fiddled with her fingers as she reached the marble Kitchen. As she looked through the door, she saw her sons. Cooking and laughing with her. She saw her son Darrien place cookies onto the baking sheet, and her son Michael throwing flour.


Ella smiled. She tried to enter the room, but like an invisible shield she couldn’t move.


When she was about to close her eyes a younger version of her walked into the kitchen. “Michael! You can’t be doing that silly” She exclaimed and her husband only laughed, hiding behind Michael. He then proceed to grab a big handful of. Ella tried to dodge the uncalled attack but was too slow.


She gasped, acting as if she was shocked. She then stalked her way to her husband hearing the giggles of Michael, Darrien and her husband. When she got to Thomas she just laughed. Leaning in to kiss him, she grabbed a small handful of flour a blew it into his face.


“Hey! That’s not nice” Thomas yelped, and pouted at Ella’s evil grin. Michael cackled and went to grab more flour. Before he could Ella lunged to save her kitchen from any further damage.


Ella smiled at the old memory; She had completed her goal. She wanted to provide for her kids, have all the pie in the world. Without needing to care about the cost.


She then felt a small jab to her head, her old legs began to shake. She fell back on her knees and let out a cry of pain as she felt her head hit the hardwood floor. Seeing nothing but darkness


“It took 100 years just to see you again” Ella heard a voice say. She tried opening her eyes, but they felt as if they were glued shut. “But its okay, I love you Ella” and as she felt a kiss to her forehead, she woke up again.


Back into the old orange room. Except for this time, it had beautiful floor length windows. There were flower decals all over the walls. She looked over and saw a nurse dressed in blinding blue scrubs walking towards her. “Are you alright Mrs. Elton?” She kindly asked moving her dark hands to Ella’s forehead.


“I’m alright it’s just-” Ella’s words faded. For a moment she almost forgot, no longer feeling the comfort of her family. Her Children giggling like fools or her Husbands deep laugh.


Ella looked out of the window. She saw how bright the sun was, how green and vibrant the world had become. “One day, I will be gone” She said, turning her head back to the nurse. The nurse looked at her confused. “What do you mean Mrs. Elton?” Ella just looked out of the window finally smiling. “It won’t be another 100 years, and that’s all I need.”

August 08, 2019 05:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.