0 comments

High School Horror

Graveyards. I hate graveyards they are so spooky, even more at night. Me and my friend Alick were in Mr. Jones's sophmore history class and we were taking a trip to the local cementary. Why not somewhere less creepy like the morge or possibly an underground chamber lined with bones. Most of the graves are pioneer graves. You know traveled by covered wagon, forged raging rivers, foraged for roots and grubs and wore bonnets. We were asked to make grave rubbings. I found a well worn grave, covered with ivy. Legend has it that this is the grave of "The Lady in White" somesay she was a spy during the Civil War for the conferdates, or possibly a double agent. Pretty cool huh. Anyways, he wanted us to spend the night in the cementary.

Anyways, had it that she was even captured and escaped. Alick says that she was making her way to town across the bridge, there was a terrible storm and the bridge was wet. He says that she slipped off the bridge and fell into the canyon below. Legend says that her ghost is still haunting the cementary, and trying to still trying to make her way bridge towards freedom. Most say that it is a lady in white, carrying a lantern walking from the cementary, through the woods and still trying to cross the bridge. And this is where you the reader come in. Yes, that's me, Jordan the one in the plaid shirt, and baseball cap holding a lantern by the Lady in White's grave. Alick and I wanted to spend the night in this spooky grave yard, and try to see if we would get the sighting of the "Lady in White". I didn't want to chicken out, and prove that I was brave.. mostly brave. Yah, perhaps I would see the ghost, and tell Alick and rub it in his face.

We had snuck in through the gap in the fence and here we are right in front of her grave. We had been here over an hour and no sight of the ghost. I was about to turn back, when I thought I saw something, possibly a lantern. I guessed that one of Alick's doopey friends was playing a prank on me. Of course, Alick wanted to follow the lantern. And not wanting to be left behind, I followed him. After what seemed like a long time, we arrived at the infamous bridge. There was no sight of the "Lady in White". I knew it, Alick was pulling my leg, he made it all up to try to scare me. "Real funny, Alick" I said. I expected him to jump out of the bushes and try to scare me half to death. Well, I am not falling for that!

I looked around to see that Alick was gone. Great, alone on a creepy bridge. Then I saw her, "Lady in White", an actual lady in white carrying a lantern. She was right next to me. Should I run? should I hide? I just stood there frozen. "Hello, sir" she said to me. Sir?, I am a girl. Oh, I was wearing boyish clothes and a baseball cap. "Are you passing this way?" she asked me. I could see right through her, a real life ghost. I wanted to run. I nervously nodded. "Good, this bridge is quite treacherous, can you help me across?". No way, no way. What if it was an evil ghost and wanted to eat me.

Possibly if I helped her across, maybe she would leave me alone or stop haunting the bridge. Okay, I could do it, I mean how hard could it be? I looked down, yikes! I was up pretty high. The bridge was also well worn and probabily could collaspe right underneath me.

She took me by the arm, "What a wonderful clear night" the lady in white said. I nervously nodded, trying not to look down. The bridge creaked with every step that I made, and also sagged. I really wanted to get off this bridge.

About halfway she stopped. Why did we stop? the lady looked at my well worn locket, and opened it. I told her how it was a picture of my great-great grandmother. We kind of looked alike, crazy wild chestnut colored hair and freckles. We could of been sisters since we looked so much alike. Grannie Annie would be sixteen in this photo , a year older than me. I had heard that she left home at sixteen, no clear reason and never returned. Great-great uncle was a soilder and heard that a young woman was found dead by the creek, but she didn't resemble Annie.

Phew we had made it across the bridge. She thanked me of course. "Well, I must be on my way" she said. I looked at her, she seemed strangly familar. I looked at my locket, then her. Nah, it couldn't be, could it? "Grannie Annie?" I said, but the ghost had disappeared. The "Lady in White" was my Grannie Annie and I had just helped her across the bridge. Wow, scary but really cool. My ancestor was a famous Civil War spy. What a story I could tell in class the next day. Of course, nobody would belive that I saw the ghost of my grannie.

I went back to the cementary, eager to tell Alick what happened. He of course didn't belive me. I showed him the picture and told him that the ghost was my Grannie Annie. He brushed the ivy off the grave, and I saw the name. It wasen't my Grannie, then who did I help across the bridge? I looked again, it was her twin sister Eleanor. The "Lady in White" the famous Ivy Street murderer, who was caught but swore venegence and I had just helped her cross the bridge. What have I done? I thought, running back to the bridge to hear screaming and the whole town on fire.

October 30, 2020 01:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.