Life’s Consequences

Submitted into Contest #54 in response to: Write a story about someone looking to make amends for a mistake.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Life’s Consequences 

By: Aarathi Guru

Monday, Jan 1st 2000

    “No! I can’t do this anymore sir! I can’t keep doing a job that don’t like! Maybe I am really good at it but I hate this job! I HATE it!” 

“Guru wait-”.

    Those were the words I last remembered from my last job. A software engineer at Charles Schwab. I didn’t know what came over me. I had spoken my heart out which cost me my  job. What I really wanted to do, was drip irrigation farming, back in my homeland, India. 

Saturday, August 19th 1949

    This is when I was born. My parents were Ram (Dad) and Muthu (Mom). We lived on the lower side in Valadi. “Keela Valadi”. My dad was the best Police Officer known in Keela Valadi. But, he was always away, and never had time for me. So, It was just me, my mom, and my sister, Vatsala. My monday through friday looked like this; Get up at 5am, get 4 buckets of water from the well and give to mom, and help get my sister ready for school and myself. When I came back home from school, I would finish my homework, and cut logs for the fire to cook for my mom, get some veggies or fruits from the store, and then go and play with my friends. I was good at all types of sports. I would only come back from playing, at 8, or even 9. I would eat dinner at 6, before I go play outside. I was at the top of my class at school and the best at everything. My life was all good. And before I knew it, I was 21 years old, just finishing my degree for BE (Bachelor of Engineering). 

Tuesday, October 10th 1970

    My mom says that “it is time for you to get married son”. And I go, “I will not marry until my sister gets married”. So there. My sister got married at the age of 19, on October 20th 1970. Her husband’s name was Kumar. He was very disciplined and kind and very, very generous. As soon as my mom and I reached home, my mom blurted out, “I have chosen a girl for you. We are going to their house tomorrow”. I was calm and I said, “Ok Amma. If you say so.”. But inside,I was thinking, WHAT! 

Saturday, October 21st 1970

    We go to their house and I learn, well before, that the girl’s name is Vaseegara. What a beautiful name, I think to myself. When we arrive there, my mom tells me that she needs to use the restroom. Vaseegara says that she will take her. I don’t know exactly what happened in there but my mom comes out and she says, happily,“I accept Vaseegara as my son’s bride.”. I noticed that she had a huge, real smile on her face. I was astonished and on the ride home, I kept thinking, what made my mom agree? Did Vaseegara put some kind of magic spell on my mom?! All these thoughts kept bombarding me all night, even though I was kind of happy that my mom liked her. Our marriage is going to be on November 27th, 1970. 

November 27th, 1970

    Right now, if you’re wondering, I’m 21 years old. Vaseegara is 20 years old and very shy. Only, she is almost as tall as me. I am 5’8” and she is 5’5”. She really is so beautiful and such a kind heart she has. *sigh*. Soon, the procession happens, and I don’t want to get too in detail, but basically, we get married and Vaseegara comes with me to our house. She helps my mom get out of the car, and walks with my mom, to make sure that she is protected. I think I understand now, why my mom liked her so much. I hear my mom say to Vaseegara, “My son always says that he will always help me out with everything, but look what he is doing right now, he is standing at the car and looking at the sky!” I hear a small laugh from Vaseegara. I finally walk into the house and go to the bed. Vaseegara says, “Hi.”. That’s literally all she says before she sleeps. At that point, I just sleep too. 

February 2nd, 1971

    I got a job offer in the U.S. at options xpress! But Vaseegara is pregnant, 2 months and I don’t feel like I want to leave her. At this point, we are happy together with my mom and she really understands me. But I accepted the job offer anyway because all the other businesses I’ve tried to do have failed. I say bye to Vaseegara and my mom and tell her I will call her every day. 

August 10th, 1971

    I am currently on the flight, coming back to India and actually on the car, on my way to my mom’s house. When I reach there, Vaseegara is waiting for me, smiling on the front porch with my new daughter, Lakshmi. She was very cute and smiling. I say, “She really is a Lakshmi, sent to us, from heaven. I lost all meaning of life that I had dreamed of and devoted my life only to her. 

August 8th, 1972

    “Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy birthday dear Lakshmi, Happy Birthday to you!”. Today was Lakshmi’s birthday and Vaseegara was so happy because Lakshmi was. Lakshmi had such a huge smile on her face. Unfortunately, I have to get back to the U.S. for my job, and I didn’t feel like leaving Lakshmi, or Vaseegara, but I had to go. So, I said my goodbyes and left for the airport. What I did not know is that Vaseegara was following me. She said goodbye to me. She also said, “Guru, be safe, and never give up no matter what.”. I had only walked ten steps away and as Lakshmi opened her present that Vaseegara gave, there was a loud boom. “NO!”.

END OF BOOK ONE

August 14, 2020 15:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.