124 comments

Contemporary Fiction Black

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

I was wide awake in bed, heavy with exhaustion but unable to slip away. The wailing kept me awake. A sound so broken and hollow, like a woman in excruciating pain, like someone seeking an end, like someone ravaged and tired. It was the sound of my Dad dying.

Every day, he died a little more. The cancer ate him away from the inside and all his children had to watch him wither away on the outside.

I would get out of bed and linger in the corridor, listening to my mum trying to comfort him with words, knowing fully well that my older siblings had not slept either, staying by his side through it all.

I remember one night, it was dark and the only light in the corridor was the lamp. I was a child standing in this long hallway, looking yonder into the darkness within the Master bedroom and hearing the horrid wailing of a broken man, it was a memory that could not depart.

A week ago we rejoiced when he started Chemotherapy. They called it a miracle for Cancer. They said it was a cure. A miracle that kills off the bad cells and kills a little bit of the patient too.

With every session he took, he came home different, changing by the day, until his nights were dragged and excruciating, and all his children would lie awake, waiting for the end.

The end came. It felt like a film trick. It just brushed right over our heads and left us stunned. We expected it, but deep down, I doubt we thought death was real; that death could happen to us. That death could snatch the joy from our lives and leave emptiness.

When a loved one is ill, the sadness echoes through everyone around them. It dampens the little joys that would have made that house home. It changes the agenda of every individual in that household– dreams are put on hold, pleasures are incomplete, life becomes measured and shallow. And so, everyone else drones through life until that loved one is made whole or maybe, they pass.

When Dad died, we were stunned. A silence that gradually broke the family apart, a dispersion of personalities unable to cope with the memories in that house, seeking to process what the past few months had been or to salvage whatever life had left in store.

We all woke up to the reality that the breadwinner was gone. My mother was distraught and without income for seven children.

And there was me, the one befuddled beyond the rest. I was ashamed because I had run away from home a week to my father's death. I went to the dormitory at school and refused to go home at school break-- because I couldn't bear to listen to him cry through the night. Or listen to the unfamiliar wailing of a man that had been so vibrant and strong in my mind. A man that had been my hero. I didn't know who that was anymore and I ran.

News of his passing reached me in school. I did not cry. It was film trick. I had to see for myself.

I went home to the silence left by shock. I'm not sure any of us could really grieve. Only three of us were adults at that time and the rest of us were confused.

First was fear, and then after the Chemotherapy, the inescapable sadness that a loved one would eventually pass away.

The silence at home was soon echoed by the gaping hole left by a breadwinner.

I looked from my mother to my brothers and then my sisters. Not one of them was fit to earn a livable wage. My mother did not have a job. Amongst the older siblings, I was in school, my brother had just graduated and my sister was in her final year.

We could not grieve, there was too much that looked us in the eye: bills, school fees, funeral costs.

Family members I had never known showed up the following few weeks and everything about the funeral was a fast blur or maybe it usually is for those shocked by death.

I didn't go to see him before he was put in the ground. I couldn't but I resolved in my mind to fill the gap he was leaving behind. The first problem after the funeral were my sister's school fees.

I had no certificate to show or no skill I had learnt but I remembered one thing Dad always said, "What is in your hands now? Use it. Develop it."

The only thing I had was writing. I had been an avid reader since I was 13 years old. I remember

long visits to the book shop with Dad, and he would buy me books, fiction and nonfiction. I devoured them and I loved to write short stories. Dad was the first one to catch my passion and steered me in that direction. He was always watchful, with deep brown eyes.

"Have you read a book this month?" He would ask as He offered me one.

I couldn't let my sister drop out of school because no one could put the money together. My brothers were off finding work. My sister was busy applying to jobs. Slowly, frustration was creeping in. We were no longer sharing happy meals and warm laughs, none of my younger siblings played out in the sun or even with toys, they withdrew.

What could I do? What to do? These questions took focus in my mind. I could think of nothing else. I could feel nothing else.

I ended up online. I ended up scratching at websites for ideas. Coming up with menial tasks that paid little and would probably not bear enough money in time to pay her school fees.

What is in your hands? Dad would ask.

The only thing I knew how to do was write. I had been writing stories. I have been writing essays. I enjoyed writing. Could there be opportunities in writing? I asked myself that night, blinded by my own tears.

I took one last go and stumbled upon information on writing careers. I researched some more and found freelance websites. One particular website stood out. I created a profile and began to put everything about that profile in place. The greatest hurdle came thereafter, the Bio. I went blank. What was there to say about myself? I had not won any awards. I had no certificates. But here I was, needing to start something out in professional writing. I poured my heart out. I attached some samples although I knew they were rough.

The next day, I woke to my mail of acceptance. I began applying for smaller writing tasks. Within a week, I had landed one. It was the first time I got paid for anything in my life. At the time, it was well below industry rates but I was overjoyed. I danced around the house. I screamed. I ran to my mother and showed her the cheque and for the first time in seven months, joy filled that house.

September 01, 2022 08:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

124 comments

15:31 Sep 07, 2022

Awesome write up. I had to patiently go through this I actually love the suspense in the story and your manner of writting,couple with the fact that your choice of words where superb.

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:07 Sep 07, 2022

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeremiah Anietie
15:01 Sep 07, 2022

It's said that 'art mirrors life'; the everyday experience of many a 'hustling youngster' in major cities captured beautifully in words! As a silversmith dutifully pursues perfection so as a wordsmith, Rachael combines aesthetic in writing undergirded by human experience to create this piece of writing offering hope in the process.

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:37 Sep 07, 2022

Lovely keep it up 🤗

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:07 Sep 07, 2022

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Etiuduot Frank
14:20 Sep 07, 2022

Oh Reachel!!!... I've always believed and trusted on your writing skills well done.... this Got me so emotional.... Well done!!

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:08 Sep 07, 2022

Thank you for believing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Talbort Precious
14:19 Sep 07, 2022

This was really good ma, from the start to finish. Reading through this piece, I could literally feel the pains the character went through, the story was so real that I could picture every scenario. Well done ma, I loved that I could pick a lesson or two from this piece, thank you ma.

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:12 Sep 07, 2022

Every story has a message embedded in it. I'm glad you found it. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Onyebuchi Oguaka
14:10 Sep 07, 2022

How do you do it? Reading this piece, I feel like I'm the character, like I feel every bit of pain she was passing through, I got to put myself in her shoes and... The story ended with good events, I feel so excited especially about how a hero she became for family, just with the check she made herself. This proves that writing indeed is a Power over emotions. The power to make the the unhappy happy and vice versa too o. Kudos Richy.

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:13 Sep 07, 2022

They do say the Pen is mightier than the sword. I'm glad I was able to prove it true to you. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amindi Essien
14:02 Sep 07, 2022

I love the way you make the reader feel the emotions while reading 😊 You're a great writer Rachael, this is good

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:13 Sep 07, 2022

Thank you for reading. I aim to be better with each day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ezinne Njoku
13:41 Sep 07, 2022

What a sad story. So beautifully written, but of course, I expected nothing less. You are such an amazing writer!

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:14 Sep 07, 2022

Thank you, Ezinne! Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Feyikemi Lois
12:42 Sep 07, 2022

This is something that got me glued to my screen for minutes, it was as though I was seeing a movie, of a true life story and when I got to the end where the lady got a job, I smile and in my mind, I said thank God. This story is emotional and inspiring too. Emotional in the sense that the breadwinner died and the family was stranded. Inspiring because the lady used that incident as an anchor to find her career path in writing. Thank you, Rachael, I love this piece

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:19 Sep 07, 2022

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:14 Sep 07, 2022

Breathtaking! The light at the end of the tunnel in the story climaxed it for me. Nice read Rachael.

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:17 Sep 07, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cmap Cmap604
12:13 Sep 07, 2022

At first reading this, I could feel the deep sadness of the narrator. It felt like I was part of the scenes somehow, seeing the siblings, mother, the story teller and myself tearfully and agonizingly lose hope as we watch our beloved slip away from us. A second emotion I felt reading this was guilt and shame . I felt I was the one who ran away from a sick family member because of how difficult it was to watch the person waste away from the debilitating disease. I was unprepared for the sharp transition from sorrow to hope as the lead char...

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:18 Sep 07, 2022

Thank you. Your words honour me. It took a lot of thought and emotion (I dare say).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emem Rankin
12:05 Sep 07, 2022

Such as interesting read, i felt every emotion.

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:18 Sep 07, 2022

Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ottobong Ekanem
11:54 Sep 07, 2022

Exceptional writing! I was glued to it from the first line. I love the way you worked with the words, creating very graphic scenes. To me, it felt like a real memory. Also I love that the story was very relatable and how it potrayed real life struggles. A lady who faced life's blows, compelled to face her fears, overcome self-doubt and eventually applying herself, which resulted in breakthrough at the end. Amazing story Rachael 👏🏽

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:17 Sep 07, 2022

Yes, all put together, a message to anyone needing a hand. I hope it inspires others as well. Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Ifiok
11:14 Sep 07, 2022

This is such a great read here, from the very beginning I was able to get a mental picture of every scene and I think others will agree. In addition to this the emotions at every point was felt. I really enjoyed reading this.

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:16 Sep 07, 2022

Thank you! I'm glad I was able to paint a picture ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Inimfon Ebong
11:09 Sep 07, 2022

Wow Truly I felt like I was experiencing the emotions myself. The pain, the struggle and that final light at the end. A truly gripping read. Well-done Rachael

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:14 Sep 07, 2022

I'm growing and hopefully getting better. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Abigail Essiet
10:41 Sep 07, 2022

Reading this piece showed me emotions It wasn’t in fancy words but it was there and that’s what makes it stand out to me

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:12 Sep 07, 2022

Coming from another writer, this tells me I at least did something right! Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:32 Sep 07, 2022

This is amazing, Rachael! I can relate with this on so many levels. I wanted to skim through at first, but I got hooked — what an amazing read! I must say, I look forward to your next story.

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
22:11 Sep 07, 2022

I'm glad I was able to changw your mind. And in all, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Uka Nwagbara
09:39 Sep 07, 2022

It was engaging from the first words to the last punctuation mark. I also like the fact that this story ended well, and I like how you graciously took us through it. Rachael, thank you for making my morning and I don't want this to be the last.

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
21:24 Sep 07, 2022

I will do my best to write more, Uka. Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
21:45 Sep 12, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Rachael Asikpo
06:09 Oct 12, 2022

I'm glad I was able to do that. Thank you for reading

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rosemary Inyang
12:52 Sep 10, 2022

I enjoyed reading your story and may be able to relate even though differently. It's how you were able to evoke the emotions. A bit teary, it felt as though I was in the centre watching all that had transpired. It's how you were able to show how the girl held on to her father's words. How she struggled to become, for herself and her family despite the seeming obstacles. Well done, Rachael!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.