124 comments

Contemporary Fiction Black

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

I was wide awake in bed, heavy with exhaustion but unable to slip away. The wailing kept me awake. A sound so broken and hollow, like a woman in excruciating pain, like someone seeking an end, like someone ravaged and tired. It was the sound of my Dad dying.

Every day, he died a little more. The cancer ate him away from the inside and all his children had to watch him wither away on the outside.

I would get out of bed and linger in the corridor, listening to my mum trying to comfort him with words, knowing fully well that my older siblings had not slept either, staying by his side through it all.

I remember one night, it was dark and the only light in the corridor was the lamp. I was a child standing in this long hallway, looking yonder into the darkness within the Master bedroom and hearing the horrid wailing of a broken man, it was a memory that could not depart.

A week ago we rejoiced when he started Chemotherapy. They called it a miracle for Cancer. They said it was a cure. A miracle that kills off the bad cells and kills a little bit of the patient too.

With every session he took, he came home different, changing by the day, until his nights were dragged and excruciating, and all his children would lie awake, waiting for the end.

The end came. It felt like a film trick. It just brushed right over our heads and left us stunned. We expected it, but deep down, I doubt we thought death was real; that death could happen to us. That death could snatch the joy from our lives and leave emptiness.

When a loved one is ill, the sadness echoes through everyone around them. It dampens the little joys that would have made that house home. It changes the agenda of every individual in that household– dreams are put on hold, pleasures are incomplete, life becomes measured and shallow. And so, everyone else drones through life until that loved one is made whole or maybe, they pass.

When Dad died, we were stunned. A silence that gradually broke the family apart, a dispersion of personalities unable to cope with the memories in that house, seeking to process what the past few months had been or to salvage whatever life had left in store.

We all woke up to the reality that the breadwinner was gone. My mother was distraught and without income for seven children.

And there was me, the one befuddled beyond the rest. I was ashamed because I had run away from home a week to my father's death. I went to the dormitory at school and refused to go home at school break-- because I couldn't bear to listen to him cry through the night. Or listen to the unfamiliar wailing of a man that had been so vibrant and strong in my mind. A man that had been my hero. I didn't know who that was anymore and I ran.

News of his passing reached me in school. I did not cry. It was film trick. I had to see for myself.

I went home to the silence left by shock. I'm not sure any of us could really grieve. Only three of us were adults at that time and the rest of us were confused.

First was fear, and then after the Chemotherapy, the inescapable sadness that a loved one would eventually pass away.

The silence at home was soon echoed by the gaping hole left by a breadwinner.

I looked from my mother to my brothers and then my sisters. Not one of them was fit to earn a livable wage. My mother did not have a job. Amongst the older siblings, I was in school, my brother had just graduated and my sister was in her final year.

We could not grieve, there was too much that looked us in the eye: bills, school fees, funeral costs.

Family members I had never known showed up the following few weeks and everything about the funeral was a fast blur or maybe it usually is for those shocked by death.

I didn't go to see him before he was put in the ground. I couldn't but I resolved in my mind to fill the gap he was leaving behind. The first problem after the funeral were my sister's school fees.

I had no certificate to show or no skill I had learnt but I remembered one thing Dad always said, "What is in your hands now? Use it. Develop it."

The only thing I had was writing. I had been an avid reader since I was 13 years old. I remember

long visits to the book shop with Dad, and he would buy me books, fiction and nonfiction. I devoured them and I loved to write short stories. Dad was the first one to catch my passion and steered me in that direction. He was always watchful, with deep brown eyes.

"Have you read a book this month?" He would ask as He offered me one.

I couldn't let my sister drop out of school because no one could put the money together. My brothers were off finding work. My sister was busy applying to jobs. Slowly, frustration was creeping in. We were no longer sharing happy meals and warm laughs, none of my younger siblings played out in the sun or even with toys, they withdrew.

What could I do? What to do? These questions took focus in my mind. I could think of nothing else. I could feel nothing else.

I ended up online. I ended up scratching at websites for ideas. Coming up with menial tasks that paid little and would probably not bear enough money in time to pay her school fees.

What is in your hands? Dad would ask.

The only thing I knew how to do was write. I had been writing stories. I have been writing essays. I enjoyed writing. Could there be opportunities in writing? I asked myself that night, blinded by my own tears.

I took one last go and stumbled upon information on writing careers. I researched some more and found freelance websites. One particular website stood out. I created a profile and began to put everything about that profile in place. The greatest hurdle came thereafter, the Bio. I went blank. What was there to say about myself? I had not won any awards. I had no certificates. But here I was, needing to start something out in professional writing. I poured my heart out. I attached some samples although I knew they were rough.

The next day, I woke to my mail of acceptance. I began applying for smaller writing tasks. Within a week, I had landed one. It was the first time I got paid for anything in my life. At the time, it was well below industry rates but I was overjoyed. I danced around the house. I screamed. I ran to my mother and showed her the cheque and for the first time in seven months, joy filled that house.

September 01, 2022 08:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

124 comments

UBONG UMOH
22:00 Sep 09, 2022

Your dexterity in writing kept me glued to my screen, thank you for this beautiful piece! The story for me is a subtle reminder that we have all got something on our inside, all it might just take it's focusing the search light on the inside. Maybe, just maybe, though times has a way of bringing out the best out of people....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akeem Yakubu
15:01 Sep 09, 2022

Amazing, amazing read! I like that the story pushes one to be resilient in life. Life knocks you down, but you just have to get back up. No one remembers the former but the latter. Very Inspirational!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chloe C
20:23 Sep 08, 2022

Wow, the ending was so sweet. You're really talented!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mobolaku Esther
17:55 Sep 08, 2022

This is captivating, and much more beyond just a story it did captured reality and it felt like I was listening to a friend narrate his life story. The hope and happy ending was such a relief and a reminder that tough times would only last as long as you are not taking actions against it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
OKAFOR ADA
15:47 Sep 08, 2022

Weldon Rachel. This is a good piece. It created a lot of suspense that helped me read till the end. And it has a happy ending. Good job 👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kufi Designs
14:22 Sep 08, 2022

The Story truly captivated the emotions of the Character. It felt truly dear😭😭😭

Reply

Show 0 replies
Pearl Joshua
13:53 Sep 08, 2022

This right here is a complete representation of the assignment given. I love how you developed your character, and how you used your hook. I literally wore the shoes of the character while reading too. Welldone

Reply

Show 0 replies
Grace Emmanuel
12:56 Sep 08, 2022

A beautiful story. Reminds me of the woman in the Bible who only had a jar of oil, but needed to clear certain debts. I learnt there'll always be a way out if we seek, and there's always something in our hands.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Parker
12:54 Sep 08, 2022

Beautiful story. It kinda reminded me of my grandfather who passed a few months ago. I love it. Great work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lawrence Mike
09:54 Sep 08, 2022

Rachael, you've got a great work of creativity here. Kudos!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Henry Dan
09:44 Sep 08, 2022

This is such a great read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:09 Sep 08, 2022

I read through every single line It was so real Nice one dear

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:02 Sep 08, 2022

A beautiful piece, Thank you, Rachel. Your story Brings to bare the challenges faced by many, in a thought-provoking sequence of writing❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Omolara Oke
05:42 Sep 08, 2022

Wow! This is really inspiring. I really love this. 😍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akan Justus
05:40 Sep 08, 2022

I am not easily captivated by fictional stories but this got me hooked on every line till the end. Maybe because I could perfectly relate to the lines and what could have been going through the writer's head as I share quite a similar story. Word usage, and sequence in event flow the embedded suspense that I had to patiently read to the end to unravel. A few shocks for me as well, because I had conceived some sequence in my head after the objective and first few lines. Running away from home was an action I never saw coming and then the ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sifon Thomas
05:13 Sep 08, 2022

Aside from the fact that I could relate to the story due to the similar experiences I've had, the story is in such a way that it kept me glued from start to finish. I got emotional too. I literally had a mental picture of every scene while reading. The story is so well put together. Such a lovely read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jonathan Massive
03:56 Sep 08, 2022

Wow, such an amazing piece, beautifully scripted 😍 I resonated with the first part of the story, felt like your writing about me Thank you Ray 😍

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:28 Sep 08, 2022

''...blinded by my own tears.'' This made tears well up in my own eyes. I caught the emotion and I could not hold it when I got to that phrase. The tough times were excruciating and very lucid in this piece. Only a seasoned writer can bring this to life and help readers relive the experience. You got me on this one. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nsikak Udo
23:21 Sep 07, 2022

This is a great piece, this should be out there for everyone to read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Richard Jackson
22:44 Sep 07, 2022

Reading through this piece it felt so real. You were able to make it so relatable that one can imagine the different scenes as we read through it. Well done Rachael, it's a great read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.