0 comments

Science Fiction Fiction Happy

The android spun in a slow circle, a slight frown on his metal lips. “Well, how do I look?”

“Gadget, I hate to tell you, but you still look like a heap of metal with clothes thrown over it.” James shrugged his shoulders as his eyes roamed up and down the AI in front of him.

Gadgets' hurt was evident even though James was sure he had no emotions. It bothered him though, to think he was the cause of hurting someone's feelings. He was bullied as a teenager and swore he would never treat anyone like that.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.”

The android lifted his head and tilted it to the right as his bushy glue on eyebrows drew together. “I’m incapable of feeling hurt in the same way you do.”

“I know, but it just seemed like what I said bothered you.”

Gadget pursed his lips together and took several minutes to answer. “I think maybe I’m disappointed. I want to be human, or as human as I can get, and yet no matter what I try, I still look like a hunk of metal.”

James cringed at his own words coming from the android's mouth. ”Well, it’s not so great to be human anyway.”

“Why not?”

“You get hurt all the time, emotionally, physically, even mentally. Sometimes I wish I was an android.”

Gadget shook his head as if he understood. “Whether it’s great or not, I’m going to keep trying to blend in.”

James couldn’t help but smile. Gadget was a six-foot-tall silver piece of meta, the chances of him ever blending in were slim. Then an idea popped into his head. “You know, not all humans look the same.”

“There are three thousand two hundred and six different combinations of hair, eye, and skin that make a person unique.”

“Right. So, maybe you should stop trying to look human and just try to act human instead.”

The androids eyebrows raised, and he cocked his head to the side. “That is a good suggestion. Where should I start?”

“Let's get you a pet. People love animals.” James grabbed his jacket and headed for the door. The clipping of metal shoes on the hardwood floor let him know Gadget was following.

There was a pet store two blocks down. It was a bright sunny day, so they decided to walk.

A little bell over the door Jingled as they walked in, and a short man pocked his head out from around a shelf of dog food. “Can I help you?”

“We are looking for a pet,” James said.

“I have two kittens left, and I just got in a litter of puppies.”

James smiled. “Let’s look at the puppies!”

The android nodded his head, and they made their way to a pen filled with little fuzzy puppies. Gadget reached down and picked one up. It immediately started licking his face and hand. “James, I’m afraid this one puts off too much water.” He set the puppy back down and moved to look at the kittens.

James picked one up and stroked his furry head, but when he tried to hand it to Gadget, the hairs on its back stood up, and it hissed. It jumped into its caged and huddled in the corner, still hissing.

“Umm… Maybe you would like to try a fish.” The store clerk directed them to a large fish tank filled with colorful fish.

“No! I don’t want anything that needs water.” Gadget backed away and instead turned his attention to a small green bird sitting on a perch in its cage. “How about this thing?”

James walked over and inspected the animal. “It looks perfect for you, Gadget.”

The clerk stuck his hand in the cage, and the bird jumped on his finger. “Here, see if he likes you.” He extended his hand with the bird to Gadget.

After a brief hesitation, Gadget stuck out a thick silver finger. The bird hopped on and tweeted its approval. With a smile, the android shook his head.

Several minutes later, they were headed back to their apartment with the bird and everything they needed to take care of it.

“Now what do I need to do to act more human?”

“I’m going out to eat with some friends. You should come along.”

The android frowned but nodded his head. “I guess that would be… fun.”

James smiled. “It will be fun.”

They got the bird all set up in his new home then went to change for dinner. James wore jean pants and a simple tee shirt. Gadget came out wearing a suit.

“To formal, Gadget. Try again.”

Moments later, he appeared with a white button-down shirt and a pair of slacks.

“This is just a few friends hanging out. Think more relaxed.”

The android nodded his head and changed again. This time he copied James and wore a pair of jeans with a black tee-shirt.

“Much better! Let’s go.”

Having an apartment in town was great. It meant you could walk almost everywhere. They walked to the restaurant and met James’s friends outside. “Hi everyone. This is Gadget. I invited him, I hope that’s okay?”

“Of course. This is Sara, Mitch, and I’m Mike.” He held out his hand to Gadget.

The android looked confused and glanced at James for help. James leaned closer to him. “You shake his hand.”

Smiling, Gadget took the man's hand and pumped it up and down vigorously. Then quickly released it when he noticed the grimace on his face.

“Let’s go eat.” James patted Gadget on the back, trying to let him know it was all going to be okay.

Unfortunately, It was not all okay. It turns out androids don’t eat regular food and have no table manners. Gadget talked all through dinner, and no one else could say anything. The android told jokes that weren’t funny, and his metal parts clanked and squeaked.

James was glad when dinner ended. He could tell from the look on his friend's faces that it would be a long time before he got invited for a night out again. He shrugged it off and turned to Gadget. “Let’s go home.”

The android nodded and fell into step beside him. “James, I don’t think your friends like me.”

“I think it might be because you talked too much.”

“I thought it was customary to engage in small talk at dinner.”

“Yes, but you are supposed to let others talk too.”

“Oh. I will do better next time. Blending in as a human is hard work. There are a lot of rules.”

James stopped to look at the android. “Why don’t you stop trying to be something you're not, and just embrace who you are? Being different isn’t a bad thing.”

Gadget tilted his head to the side. “You are right. I should just be me and be happy with what I am.”

February 23, 2021 02:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.