Little Mountain

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: Start your story with someone accepting a dare.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Friendship

“Are you kidding me, Tom!?” Jess whispered angrily, her glare so hot it could start a fire. I shifted uncomfortably, dewy wood chips digging into my hands and knees. My arms were starting to hurt from crouching in this painful position. The air was growing cooler as the night was getting darker, however I felt so warm my forehead started to sweat. I glanced over at Jack, a small smirk coming to my lips.  “Yeah, why not?” I say.  Jack chuckled, shaking off the sticky wood chips as he reached out his hand. I shake it.

“Five seconds.”  He said with a smile.  

Jess shook her head angrily. 

The three of us sat under a bush in the middle of the forest.  It took a lot of coaxing Jess to come out this late, but Jack and I had an agenda of finding the magic white fox that all the other orphans had claimed to see.  Who would have known we would come across something much worse. 

It’s eyes were bloodshot red.  Nose as hairy as a spider's back, oily substances pouring out of its large pores. Moss covered nearly all of it’s rock-like body.  It’s size seemed to be as big as an elephant, though my fear of the beast probably caused it to seem larger. 

I didn’t need to look at it’s teeth.  Every child in our village knew that aspect all too well thanks to Crazy Nane’s vivid horror stories. Of course, even without Crazy Nane, children wouldn’t need a horror story to know to stay away from a troll. Most children anyway. 

I felt a chill run down my spine.  Jack and I would have walked right into the creature if not for Jess.  Thankfully her cat-like eyes caught the sight of it before we had stepped right into its mouth.  Though, the stench would have alerted us soon anyway.  

I gulped, realizing what I had just signed up for.  I looked over at Jess, her glare still boring into my soul.  I give her an apologetic shrug, looking back over at Jack, whose attention was fixed on the beast.  

It hadn’t sensed us yet, happily munching on some mushrooms… or maybe it was a dead carcass.  It was hard to tell from here. 

“It’s arms are too short, so it won't be able to grab you.”  Jack nods, as though calculating my chance of survival. 

“You are really going to do this?”  Jess growls.  “You are going to jump on that thing’s back?”  

I look back at her, grimacing.  “He dared me to! Besides, it’s only for five seconds.” 

Her hands clenched and she bit her lip.  I could swear steam was coming out of her ears. 

“Boys.” Was all she could mutter. 

Jack ignored Jess, grabbing my shoulder.  “Alright Tom.  You have to be fast, because once he smells you he’ll try to eat you.”  

I nod in agreement, though my heart started to race.  This might be stupid. 

“Getting on it’s back will be the easy part.  Getting off, well, not so much.” Jack continued. “I think your best course of action will be to distract it somehow.  Maybe throw your shoe-”

“His shoe.” Jess interrupted. 

“Yes.” He said dryly. “The horrible stench from Tom’s shoes would distract any creature, especially a troll.”  

I shoved him.  

He chuckled quietly, “Okay, okay.  But I might be onto something.”  

“Thanks.” I said.  “But I think I have an idea of what I’m going to do.”  I push myself up from the ground slowly, being sure not to rustle any leaves as I stand.  

“Tom!”  Jess cries softly, her eyes begging me to come back.  

I give her a thumbs up.  

Jack’s smile broadens, returning my thumbs up. Jess has tears in her eyes.  

Sorry Jess, I have to see if I can do it. 

I take in a deep breath, staring up at the large beast.  It’s attention was still focused on the strange snack that I couldn't see. 

“Here goes nothing.” I whisper. 

My legs took off, each foot slapping the ground so hard I felt as though I was shaking the earth.  With each step the troll grew closer, and with each step I realized how large my stupidity was. But I couldn’t stop my legs, not when the creature was starting to turn. 

It heard me!

I willed my legs to go faster, as though fire chased after them.  Just as the giant started to turn I lunged onto it’s back.  Greasy hair slapped me in the face, the sour smell causing my eyes to water. I clung on tight, waiting for the ride of a lifetime.  

But it didn’t come. 

The beast was completely still, maybe shocked by my bravery.  

I waited, holding my breath so that the stench would not get in my mouth.  Still nothing happened.  

Did it not sense me even still?

Suddenly a low rumble could be heard.  What sounded like thunder slowly turned into a quaking roar.  

“Are you ill, child?”  A loud voice trembled throughout the forest. I gulped loudly, knowing where the voice had come from.  

“Get into the mushrooms perhaps?”  The voice continued.  

“I did not!” I cried.  The thunder started again, and I realized that it was laughter.  

I slowly released my grip on its dank fur, allowing myself to slide off the troll’s back.  

Loud rustling was heard behind me and I glanced back to see Jack and Jess standing, staring at me in horror.  “What are you doing!?” Jack mouthed, clearly alarmed. Maybe I should have gone with his stinky shoe idea. 

I turn back to the troll, taking a step around to face it. 

The scene I came across was nothing I could have imagined.  

The beast wasn’t eating a dead carcass.  In fact, it wasn’t even eating.  What lay before it was a tiny pile of rocks. 

The pile was neatly organized, with the larger stones at the bottom and the smaller stones carefully balanced at the top. It seemed as simple as a bunch of playing blocks in the nursery.  I look up at the troll, it’s eyes staring back at me.  They weren't as red as I thought they were. 

“Are you building a house?” I ask.

The laughter returned.  “No.”  It said, it’s smile was more bouldery than sharp.   

I look back at the pile.    

“Are you trying to see how tall you can get them?” 

The troll shook its head.  “Wrong again, little human child.”  

I stare hard at it, then shrug my shoulders. “A little mountain then.”  I say.  

The troll’s smile grows.  “Yes.  Yes, it’s a little mountain.  It will grow tall like me one day, and watch the forest as I have done.”

I peered back up at the troll.  “It’s your child?”  

The troll nodded.  “I suppose that’s what you humans would call it.”

Jack and Jess slowly came to stand next to me, watching the troll carefully.  

The troll reached down and grabbed another stone.  “You children had best leave now. Your guardians will be worried.”  

Jess grabs my hand, pulling me back. Jack leads the way, still staring back at the troll every once and a while. Not me though, my eyes couldn’t leave the beast that molded it’s family. 

May 19, 2021 04:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.