0 comments

Fantasy

Phoenix stared into the empty closet, with feelings of trepidation as she closed the sliding doors shut for the very last time. The whole house echoed with old memories, some good, some not so good. Phoenix was going to miss the life she had made for herself in this temporary home. But move on she must! As tomorrow promised a new and exciting adventure, in her "forever home" along with her two cats, Mr Sparkles and HissyKat.

Morgan sat quietly fiddling with the fringed edges of the tablecloth, laid neatly upon the antique oak dining room table. Their favourite tea that had been brewing, gone cold, along with the tasty warm rolls and extra cheesy jaffles(crusts cut off). Phoenix was supposed to be home over an hour ago and it was not like her to let good food go to waste!

Phoenix was close to tears as she scrambled to get out of her stuffy little cubicle. Mr Mangle had decided to hit everyone with extra training, right when it was getting close to knocking off for the day! Those with a plausible enough excuse were allowed to leave as long as they made arrangements at a later date for a catch up session. Phoenix knew that an afternoon tea date would not earn her the right to skip training, so had resigned herself to the fact that she would have to stick it out to the very end.

Just as the shadows grew longer, and the clock struck the hour of 6 pm, a whole 3 hours after work was supposed to finish, Phoenix nervously poked her house key into the front door. Of course Mr Sparkles and HissyKat were only too happy to see their human companion! But what of Morgan? Would he still be awaiting her return? Or would he have given up all hope, returning to the Spirit realm feeling abandoned and unloved?

Morgan’s presence still felt strong in the dining room area. The candles had burnt right down to their stubs. All that remained of them was a pool of wax, glistening under the low light of the crystal chandelier. The once magnificent feast, looked cold and uninviting. Phoenix felt the tears she had been suppressing for most of the day, spring forth as she cried out Morgan’s name with such utter despair and sorrow.

HissyKat and Mr Sparkles, sensing her pain, tried to comfort her. But alas, nothing could take away her sorrow over losing Morgan yet again! Vivid memories came racing into her mind, taking her back to that fateful night. The night Morgan had died in a horrific car accident through no fault of his own. He had been excited about their lunch date, although they had many more before. This one particular day was special. Morgan had planned to propose to Phoenix over a candlelight lunch. Knowing she would not suspect a thing because it wasn’t obvious like a candlelit dinner would have been.

Of course, even death could not get in the way of true love. Only moments after his tragic passing, Morgan found himself standing in the dining room of their two bedroom cottage. Phoenix had been bustling around in the kitchen, preparing their feast as she had always done. A cold rush of air hit her like someone had thrown a bucket of iced water in her face! Causing her to drop the oven tray of freshly baked rolls, scattering them all over the linoleum floor.

The shrill sound of the phone chirping loudly, snapped her back into the present moment. But she could not shake the feeling that something was terribly wrong!

Morgan saw his love’s face turning ashen and all contorted, as she let the words spoken to her through the phone sink in. Morgan’s mother Mary, tried so desperately to keep it together as she relayed to Phoenix the conversation that had occurred between to her by Constable Nigel Simmonds only moments before. “Morgan has been in a car accident, and…umm oh God! He died on impact Phoenix!”

What happened after that was a blur as Phoenix crumpled to the floor in pain and disbelief, that her Morgan, Her sweet, sweet Morgan, was dead!

Then something rather incredible and strange happened. Phoenix heard Morgan calling out to her! Thinking her grief was causing her to be delusional, she ignored it at first. Morgan’s voice got louder and louder, as though he was standing right beside her. She peered up in the direction she could hear him calling, and to her surprise and shock! Morgan was actually there!

Fast forward to three years later. Morgan and Phoenix had continued their lunch date, once a week without fail until today that is. And of course in secret (I mean who would believe her anyway?)

Morgan stepped forward out of the shadows, calling out to Phoenix “I am here my love”

Phoenix wiped away her tears and at the sight of her Morgan, her heart felt instantly lighter. The joy at seeing her beloved was still very much around, overtook her previous emotions in an instant.

“Oh Morgan! I am so-so sorry! Mr Mangles made us stay back for training and...”

Before she could finish her sentence Morgan reassured her that all was well and she really didn’t need to explain herself. The fact that she was there was all that he cared about. They spent the rest of what was left of their evening, snuggled together on the sofa watching Supernatural, their all-time favourite Sci-fi series.

They both knew that this special time they spent together, would not last forever. Morgan wanted Phoenix to fall in love with somebody new. To experience the joys of being a mother and someone’s wife. Phoenix would have given up all of that if Morgan had asked her to. He knew that without a doubt. But life must go on, and Phoenix needed to live her life because she was entitled to. Morgan would always hold a special place in her heart. That goes without saying. And of course they could still meet up from time to time….

 

March 11, 2020 04:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.