0 comments

Bedtime Christmas Fantasy

On Christmas Eve morning Jenny mouse woke to the sounds of great excitement from her children. 

Dressing as quickly as she could she rushed downstairs to see what was happening. 

Every pane of glass in the kitchen window was covered by a head looking out at the big white things falling down from the sky.

When the children saw Jenny, they rushed toward her, all talking all at the same time. 

“One at a time,” she smiled, as she looked down at little Pip, who was jumping up and down in her usual excited way. 

"The big white things falling out of the sky are all over the garden", Pip squealed. 

Jenny was in the middle of explaining that it was called snow, when she heard the familiar voice of Mr Quiggle rat outside the kitchen door. 

The girls ran so fast to let him in they almost knocked her over. 

After the excitement had quietened down a bit, Quiggle told them he had come to take them to the pond. 

All the garden friends were meeting there to arrange the Christmas Day party. 

The children quickly wrapped up in their warmest clothing, and they all set off for the garden pond. 

When they arrived everyone was looking very sad. 

Wetty, the rain beetle, was looking more miserable than any of the others and explained to Jenny mouse that they couldn't have their Christmas Day party because Capstick cat’s human had put him out into the garden shed to sleep, and so it wouldn't be safe for them. 

“We usually decorate a Christmas tree and give presents to everyone”, said Wetty. “It just won't be the same this year”, but they all agreed that it was better to be safe and so they all went off home.

That evening Jenny tried to make it extra special for her children's first Christmas. 

They each hung their stocking above the fireplace with a small note to old Santa mouse pinned onto each one.  

Little Pip, the youngest, wanted a baby doll. 

Johnathan, the eldest, wanted some new boots. 

Klara, born after Johnathan, which she hated, asked for a vanity set. 

Lena was next, she wanted a new apron so she could keep herself clean when she helped Jenny in the kitchen. 

Then, lastly, came Ropey. He loved to hunt so he had asked for a bow and arrow. 

Christmas morning arrived and the children were up very early to see if Santa mouse had been.

They each lifted their own stocking down from the mantle, and peered inside. 

Pip gave a squeal of delight as she lifted a little pink mouse doll out of her stocking. 

“Oh thank you so much, Santa” she shouted up the chimney.

Lena was trying on her beautiful new blue frilly apron and Johnathan was marching up and down admiring his new boots. 

Klara was unusually quiet, brushing her hair with her new hairbrush whilst admiring her reflection in her new mirror. 

However, Ropey's stocking was EMPTY.  

Everyone gasped.

Jenny noticed a note, from Santa, pinned to the bottom of the stocking. 

Ropey read it aloud... 

Your bow and arrows

Are not here, but

I always try to please

You will find one

In the garden

Near the large fir trees…

Love Santa x

Ropey dressed himself quickly in his warmest coat and mitts and off he went into the garden to find his bow and arrows. 

Jenny shouted after him to be careful and watch out for Capstick cat.

It was snowing again, but they had presents to deliver, so they dressed warmly, and off they all went toward Clinger frogs house at the other side of the pond. 

Jenny had just given Wetty rain beetle and Quiggle rat their gifts, when Clinger frog came hopping over to them out of breath and croaking that Capstick was on his way through the garden and would be there at any moment. 

No one knew which way to run. 

Clinger frog told them it was best to cross the frozen pond to his house as it was the nearest.

Jenny was so afraid and desperately tried to hide her fear from her children. 

She had never walked on a frozen pond before, in fact, she had never stood on any ice. 

Gathering her courage, she stepped with her children onto the icy pond. She could feel the cold penetrating through her shoes to her feet. It was very slippery and she knew she had to be very careful not to fall for the sake of the children.

They were almost across the pond, when they heard Capstick meowing and hissing behind them. 

Suddenly, Capstick gave a loud Meow and stopped in the middle of the pond. 

When they turned to see what was happening they saw him jumping up and down in pain.

They looked beyond Capstick, and there at the other side of the pond was Ropey with his bow and arrows. He was firing large pine needles at Capstick’s feet which made him jump around. 

Suddenly there was a loud crack and the pond ice opened...right where Capstick was standing. 

Down into the cold pond he sank, meowing even louder than before. 

Quiggle rat rushed over to Ropey and lifted him high onto his shoulders. 

"You're our little hero”, he said. 

Ropey didn’t feel like a hero, he was actually worried about Capstick. He had wanted him to run away home, not to fall into the pond.

Ropey was busy trying to think of how he could help Capstick out of the pond, when a small human arrived.  

He pulled him out of the water by his collar, shook him very hard, and told him there would be no more prowling for him for a day or two.  

When the garden friends heard that, they gave a tremendous cheer. 

They would now be able to have their Christmas Day party.

The grownups chatted happily as they decorated one of the small fir trees.

The children built several snowmen, whilst, Quiggle frog’s children hopped around them throwing snowballs. 

Mrs earwigs children were having a great time, sledging down the snow piled up at the side of the rain barrel.

Jenny mouse smiled, then she stepped once again onto the frozen pond, this time with no fear. 

This time she was going to learn how to skate with her children.

They all knew that this was going to be a truly wonderful Christmas, that Capstick couldn't spoil. 

All Capstick could do was watch them from inside his cottage, his nose pressed hard against the window pane. 

January 16, 2021 09:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.