1 comment

Friendship Contemporary Funny

            If it was on Okeysha’s to-do list, it had to be done. On August 4th, that list read: 1. water mint plant 2. reply to Fred's email 3. vacuum living room rug 4. return library books. She was a quarter way through tending the mint when a painful cramp overtook her. The blue watering can slipped from her fingers, shattering against the cement. Although the contractions racked her body, Okeysha could only think 5. buy new watering can.

           Since her return to the United States, Okeysha found herself more organized than ever before. The tour in Iraq had taught her to prioritize just about everything, from when she used the restroom to when she chow down on a pop tart. Her life was completely mapped out. But South Carolina was nothing like Kirkuk. Here, she could walk outside with nothing more than a bikini top and shorts on. Sean told her, “the world is still beautiful. You just have to breathe and enjoy it.” So at her husband's suggestion Okeysha had added breathe to her list. And that's exactly what she did as she doubled over in her garden.

           After approximately six shallow breaths, Okeysha squared her shoulders, gathered her long braids into a top bun, and marched over to her computer. It was impossible for her to sit, so she bent over the desk and typed: "Good morning, Fred. I'm currently in labor and will most likely be unable to attend your lecture this afternoon. However, should I give birth before 6:30 p.m. tonight I will do my best to attend. Have a great day, Okeysha.” With a whoosh, the email disappeared from her screen and Okeysha mentally crossed number two off of her list.

           Grunting with effort, Okeysha made her way to the hall closet. She strained against the vacuum, tensely reminded of the packs that she and her unit would carry over enemy-infested regions. Her drill sergeant’s voice pounded against her head, urging her to “put some effort into it.” Okeysha plugged in the machine and started creating her trademark light-dark pattern on the rug. Not two minutes into her housekeeping task, her phone rang. “Hello?” She expected a telemarketer or maybe an old friend who wanted to catch up. Instead, her coworker Fred frantically answered, “hi, Okeysha. I just saw your email and I wanted to make sure that you're alright. I know Sean is out of town, and your due date isn't for another month so I wanted to see if I could help.” Smiling, Okeysha resumed her vacuuming. “That's really very kind.” She said over the noise, “but I'm okay. After I finish up my to-do list, I'll head over to the hospital.”

           There was silence on the other end of the call. Okeysha checked the screen, confirming that she still had a signal. “Fred, you there?” “Why?” “I'm sorry, why what?” she had never heard her typically boisterous colleague so quiet. “Why aren't you going to the emergency room now?!” Fred exclaimed. “I was scheduled to keep.” She shook her head, hearing how ridiculous her chores would seem.  Another beat passed and a decidedly more composed Fred said, “I'm on my way. Be there in fifteen.” Okeysha opened her mouth to protest, but Fred interrupted, “and stop vacuuming,” before abruptly ending the call.

           It wasn't that Okeysha didn’t like her coworker, it was that he was always trying to help, and help was not something that Okeysha needed. She needed a plan and she had a plan. So, after the carpet was spotless and up to her usual standards, Okeysha shuffled into her bedroom and started rifling through her husband's crowded nightstand. Finding three Tom Clancy novels and a parenting guide Okeysha tucked the library books into her beige canvas bag. She was on her hands and knees, checking under the bed when Fred knocked on the front door. His face pale, the middle aged university professors sputtered, “Where's your go-bag?” Never one to dawdle with pleasantries, Okeysha nodded towards the master bedroom. “It's in there, but I'll just be a moment.” Fred eyed the freshly cleaned living room but didn't say anything. He shouldered the bag Okeysha had pointed out and started heading toward the front door.

           Meanwhile, Okeysha once again bent to search the floor for forgotten books. When Fred noticed that she wasn't behind him, he turned around stormed into the room, shouting, “if you don't get in my car in ten seconds, I'm calling 911 and having the EMTs strap you to a gurney.” Surprised by his threat, Okeysha silently followed him to his car. The bright white BMW was the latest model and easily more expensive than Okeysha’s hatchback. She looked between the two vehicles, saying, “I think we should take my car in case my water breaks.” Running a hand over his dark hair, Fred groaned, “we are getting in my car because it’s closer, it's unlocked, and it can get us the hospital faster.” Okeysha simply couldn't argue with that sort of logic.

           Sliding the book bag onto the floor, she sent her husband a short message: “Baby came early. We'll go to the hospital soon. Call me when you can.” Fred backed down to the driveway carefully and turned towards the main road. “What are you doing?” Okeysha asked. Her colleague pinch the bridge of his nose, wincing as if in pain, “We. Are. Going. To. The. Hospital.” He emphasized, as if dealing with a stubborn child. Okeysha, thirty-three and just as stubborn as the day she was eleven, shook her head. “No. Take the back way so we can stop at the library.” Eyes widening, Fred threw the car into park. “The library? The library?!” His sound suggested that he'd never heard of such place. “You want to go to the public library to return a few books while you're in labor?” His voice was incredibly clipped, his grip on the steering wheel vise-like. “Yes,” Okeysha was firm. Slowly taking his foot off the brake, Fred breathed. “Do you want to stop for some coffee as well? Maybe go get some ice cream?” Laughing, Okeysha replied, “I can't have caffeine because of the baby.”

           “Oh,” Fred continued, dripping with sarcasm. “Silly me. Perhaps we should order a cappuccino after the baby is born.” “Right.” Okeysha agreed, all playfulness gone from her voice. Fred noticed the change, “What is it?” “Nothing, nothing.” Another contraction tore at her, causing a small yelp to escape from her lips. “That’s it,” the professor announced. Okeysha knew then that Fred would insist they double back. Instead, Fred glanced at her with newfound resoluteness, “we’re going to the library.”

           The car lurched down the road, nearly clipping the stop sign at a four-way intersection. Horns honked, pedestrians cursed, and Okeysha smiled. “Nothing more exciting than speeding down a dirt road at 10:00 a.m. on a Tuesday,” she laughed, throwing her head back. Fred stifled a chuckle. “Have you done this before?” Barren landscapes and morning gunfire swam before Okeysha’s eyes, she said, “yes, I have. When I was in the military, we used to drive over 100 miles per hour depending on the terrain.” “That must’ve been terrifying.” She shrugged in response, her contractions slipping to the back of her mind, “it was nothing compared to this.” Raising an eyebrow, Fred glanced out the window. “Nothing compared to going twenty over on a practically deserted high way?” Okeysha realized his confusion. “No,” she clarified, sighing heavily, “nothing compared to becoming a mother.”

           Gently placing a hand on her knee, Fred’s eyes softened, “when my wife was about to give birth, she started crying and screaming “I can’t do this, I can’t do this.” But she did it. And then she did it three more times after. You can do this, Okeysha.” “I didn’t know you had any children,” Okeysha’s voice was thick with emotion and pain. “Huh,” Fred mused. “I guess we were never that close before. But, then again, I’m not really one to make friends.” “Me neither,” Okeysha admitted, wiping her eyes on the back of her hand. Silently handing her a tissue from between the seats, Fred smiled briefly, his gaze shifting to the red and blue lights in the rearview mirror.        

           Okeysha composed herself as Fred pulled the car over to the side of the road. “Hello, Officer,” he glanced at the name tag, “Martin. I apologize for speeding, but she’s in labor and…” He shrugged helplessly. Officer Martin bent to get a look at Okeysha. “Ma’am, do you need an ambulance?” She shook her head, holding her stomach. “We’ll be fine,” Fred interjected. “but I’m sure you see the urgency.” “Absolutely,” the cop nodded, surveying the road. “However, the fastest way to the hospital would be south and, you see, you’re going north.” Okeysha suppressed a small smile and explained, “that was my mistake. I thought I knew the way, but I guess I was wrong. If you could give us a warning, we’ll be on our way.” The officer suspiciously withdrew his radio, put it to his lips, and jumped as Okeysha exclaimed, “my water broke! Fred, I’m so sorry.”

           It was clear that Martin wasn’t expecting such a development. Shoving his notebook and walkie-talkie into his pockets, the officer jogged back toward his car, saying, “don’t worry about it. Just get yourself some help ASAP.” The black and white vehicle zoomed away before Fred had even started the engine again. Fortunately, Officer Martin wasn’t there to witness the BMW race in the general direction of the public library.

           Five hours after having dropped the checked out items to an extremely bewildered librarian, Okeysha cradled her newborn daughter. Fred leaned against the hospital bed. “She’s got your hair,” he commented. The baby gurgled in reply. Chuckling, Fred added, “I think she’s already starting to make a check list. Number one on the agenda: be compared to her mother.” “Nope,” Okeysha smiled. “No lists for her. She gets to do just like her daddy and-” “Breathe,” finished the visitor in the doorway. Okeysha’s smiled widened as her husband rushed into the room. “She’s amazing,” he whispered, kissing his wife and daughter. “And so are you.” Sean turned to greet Fred. “I appreciate you calling the airline and getting me on the next flight back.” “It was nothing,” Fred’s face flushed. “Just helping out a friend.”

           The three adults stood quietly for a bit, staring at the sleeping bundle in Okeysha’s arms. Eventually, Sean broke the silence. “Brought you something.” He told his wife. From behind his back, he pulled out a blue watering can. Beaming, Okeysha said, “how did you know?” Fred leaned towards Sean conspiratorially, “I told you it was on the to-do list.” “And if it’s on the to-do list,” Sean added. “it’s got to be done.”

April 27, 2021 18:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jay Howard
20:47 May 07, 2021

The audible 'oh my goodness' I let out when Okeysha crossed number two off her list after going into labor! I knew this was going to be interesting. Thank you for this simple, heartfelt and humorous piece. The moment in the car when Okeysha realizes Fred has children and Fred realizing that they aren't close really struck me. It reminded me of how sometimes we don't know people we care about like we should because life and to-do lists get in the way. Even failing to know the important things! But after its all over a friend is still a friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.