1 comment

Adventure Drama Mystery

David sat at his desk, staring at the pile of bills in front of him. He had been out of work for months and his savings were running low. He wasn't sure how he was going to make ends meet. As he sorted through the stack, he noticed a plain envelope that stood out among the others. It was addressed to him, but there was no return address.

Curious, David tore open the envelope to find a check for $100,000. He couldn't believe it. Was this some kind of joke? He searched the envelope for any kind of explanation, but there was nothing. No note, no signature, nothing to indicate who the mysterious donor might be.

David's mind raced with questions. Who would do something like this? Why him? Was this some kind of mistake? He called his bank to verify the check, and after a few minutes on hold, the representative confirmed that it was legitimate.

David sat back in his chair, his mind spinning. He had never been the recipient of such a large sum of money before, especially from an anonymous donor. He couldn't help but feel grateful, but at the same time, he was also uneasy. Who would be so generous without wanting anything in return?

Over the next few days, David's mind was consumed with thoughts of the anonymous donation. He couldn't focus on anything else. He wondered if he should try to track down the donor and thank them, but how could he? There was no way to know who they were or where the money had come from.

Despite his reservations, David knew that the money would be life-changing. He could finally pay off his debts and start fresh. He could even start his own business, something he had always dreamed of but had never had the funds to pursue.

A few weeks went by, and David had all but forgotten about the anonymous donation. He was busy getting his finances in order and planning for the future. That's when he received another envelope. This one was also addressed to him, but this time it was thicker.

David tore it open to find a handwritten letter inside. The letter was from the anonymous donor. It explained that the donor had come into some money unexpectedly and wanted to help someone who was in need. They had seen David's story online and felt compelled to help him.

The letter went on to say that the donor didn't want any recognition or repayment. They simply wanted to help someone who needed it. The donor wished David all the best and signed off, "Your anonymous friend."

David was stunned. He read the letter over and over again, trying to make sense of it all. Someone had seen his story online and felt compelled to help him? He had never been more grateful in his life.

David knew that he would never be able to repay the anonymous donor, but he promised to pay it forward by helping others in need whenever he could. He also decided to start his own business, something he had always dreamed of but never had the funds to pursue.

Thanks to the anonymous donation, David was able to start his business and turn it into a success. He made a promise to himself that he would never forget the kindness that had been shown to him and would do everything in his power to help others in need.

Years went by, and David's business grew larger than he ever could have imagined. He had become a respected member of his community and had helped countless others in need. But despite all his success, he never forgot the anonymous donor who had helped him get started.

One day, David was walking through town when he spotted an elderly woman sitting on a bench near a coffee shop. She was wearing a red hood and a light red dress. The elderly woman looked sad, looking at the concrete beneath her. So, David decided to walk up to the lady and ask if she needed help. When she looked up at him, she gasped. She pulled a photo of David out of her pocket and put it back in. She got up from the bench and pulled David into the coffee shop. David thought her face was peeling, but he didn’t really mind it. The woman got a table for two and bought each of them a coffee.  

When they sat down, she peeled her mask off! David almost screamed and ran away, but he decided to cooperate. This lady had black hair with blue eyes, and she looked about 30-40 years old. 

She smiled at David and said, “Are you the one that received that $100,000?” 

                                          David nodded his head. 

“I was the one that gave you the money, honey! Congratulations, bud!”

And David’s jaw dropped and his eyes bulged open. “Actually, ma’am?” He whispered.

“Of course, honey! And, you spent it very well, starting a business. Good job, man.” 

Then the lady left the coffee shop, smiling. David was smiling, too. 

David had $2,500 left, so he wanted to contact the kind lady by giving her his leftover money. But, it was going to be hard, since she just left and probably gone somewhere far, so he needed to search for her immediately.

He searched and searched, but couldn’t find the lady anywhere. He looked for miles. After looking for 45 minutes straight, he FINALLY found her. He stood in front of her and waved at her.

“Hello, kind ma’am. Since you gave me $100,000 dollars, I just wanted to give you my leftover money. I know it isn’t much, but I hope you appreciate it!” And he handed her his wallet filled with the $2,500.

The kind lady tried to deny it, but he insisted, and after a while, she just took it and said thank you. They exchanged numbers and kept in contact. They were both happy at the end.

April 28, 2023 01:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ella James
02:41 Apr 28, 2023

I hope you like this story!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.