0 comments

Adventure


Allan Thomas had grown up in middle-class East London. From and an early age Africa had fascinated him. Scouring libraries looking for all he could find on the dark continent. Fact or fiction, didn’t matter to a young boy, it all held an intrigue that he soaked up like a sponge. 

After completing University with a degree in geography, he set about planning his lifelong dream of exploring. At age 24, with the assistance of a small inheritance from his grandfather, he set sail, for Africa.


June 27th 1848 – Day 1

After an horrendous sea journey of 3 months, we finally docked in the Kenyan port of Mombasa. Nothing could have prepared me for what met my eyes, or assailed my nostrils. Standing on the deck in the blazing sun I watched. The port appeared to be in sheer pandemonium. Black people shouting in strange languages ran from one end to the other, carrying boxes and barrels of goods.

White men, sitting in large shaded chairs, 2 feet off the ground, barking orders. The putrid smell, of what, I didn’t know, caused me to feel queasy. Heat, humidity and flies overwhelmed me. What had had I done.

June 28th – Day 2

Met with British consular officials to discuss matters pertaining to previous correspondence sent two months prior as to anticipated requirements. I met with several local traders who gave me valuable insight into Kenya. As a result, have hired an English-speaking guide and 2 assistants, who have some knowledge of the area North and West of Mombasa, which is my destination.

June 30th – Day 4

Have secured 8 bearers, one if whom will be designated as cook. A heavy wagon, 4 oxen, and a two horses are purchased. Provisions for four weeks, including, salt, flower, tea and sugar, tents and other equipment to support the exhibition, are loaded. As we prepare to leave, I’m filled with dread. I have no idea what lays ahead. I have taken as many precautions as possible. The outcome will depend on my resilience. My guide and God.


June 31st – Day 5   

Depart Mombasa. The expedition journey, planned at 300 miles, is estimated to take 25-30 days. The guide says water and game should be plentiful. Beyond 20 miles north from Mombasa nothing is known of the land. There are no maps and there has been little contact with the indigenous population. At this point I will begin mapping. Noting everything of interest, for those that follow, God willing.

July 2nd – Day7

Heat and humidity are unbearable, overnight rain providing no relief. Even on horseback, my clothes are constantly wet, either by sweat or humidity. My God, how do people live here? Progress over the past two days has been good, perhaps 20 plus miles. I see no sign of civilisation. The guide assures me we are not alone, but no threat. The flat land makes for easier going. Bullocks are slow beasts, yet, they are powerful, and pull the heavily laden wagons with apparent ease. When we make camp, whilst still light, I ride for a mile or so around the campsite noting points of interest. Hills, running water, rock formations and the like. I will continue to do this to ensure my maps are inclusive of landmarks, which will add to, the credibility of the document. All this information will be added to the map later by lamp light, in the cool of the evening.    

July 4thg – Day 9

Four days in, the terrain begins to change. The flat land gives way to treed and hilly country. Soon, we will need to abandon the wagons and continue on foot. The insects are maddening. Long sleeves shirts and trousers are a necessity for protection. Departure was delayed this morning as the guide rode off looking for game, he bagged two deer like animals. They will provide fresh meat for 4-5 days. Water barrels are topped up from the creeks we cross, as river water is considered too dangerous to drink. Although I see nothing of other humans, I sense we are being watched. I take to carrying my rifle and pistol when riding. 

July 5th – Day 10

Progress is getting harder. We need to zig zag to find terrain the wagons can cross. This action is adding days to the projection.

Had to put down an oxen this morning after being bitten by a snake. Further delays as the beast is dressed and salted. Carcases cannot be left undressed in these extreme conditions. Heat is almost unbearable.

July 6th – Day 11

The terrain has changed to subtropical. It was decided to abandon the wagon. The oxen will be minded by one of the guide’s trusted men and two bearers. The other 6 will carry rations of staples, salted meat and water. We continue on foot, and horseback. I mark the map. Two of the taller trees are lopped to provide future identification point from a distance. 

July 8th – Day 13

Early evening, prior to camping, we see smoke in the distance. The guide says it will be a native village or similar. I’m not sure. I will Keep a loaded pistol close tonight. We eat the oxen, although tough, it has good flavour. As the terrane changes to more densely grown trees and shrubs, guinea fowl become plentiful. They will be a source of future food, both flesh and eggs.  

July 9th – Day 14

Mid-morning, we come upon a fast-flowing river. Chance to rest, bathe and wash clothes. Once settled, I decided to explore the river bank to the north. Rounding a bend, I was frozen, 20 yards in front of me were two large poles driven into the muddy river bank with a rope suspended between them. I can make no sense of this. As I approached, I noticed two wooden barrels placed on top of one another, marked – Simpson & Sons London England, I was amazed. To my right, a carefully maintained narrow track sliced into the thick dark jungle like a tunnel. Intrigued, I decided to explore further. After five minutes walking, the track opened into a large purposely cleared space. I saw fruit trees. To my left, a large white painted timber house, complete with picket fence and flowering garden. Reminding me of country cottages I saw as a child growing up in England. It was amazing. How is this possible, we’re in the middle of Africa.

As I gaze in amazement at the sight in front of me, I fail to hear the noise behind me, voices, English voices.



April 25, 2024 02:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.