14 comments

Creative Nonfiction

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

"Music is the language of the spirit. It opens the secret of life bringing peace, abolishing strife."

– Kahlil Gibran


Someone told me, "Maybe you don't want to know." This might be true, but what could be more traumatic than I imagined? No one in the family will tell me why, but my parents left me with relatives for my first four years.

Dad wouldn't talk about it, and Mom said they left me with my paternal grandparents because she and Dad were building a house and couldn't find a place to rent that allowed children. I never believed her, so I'd read a book or sneak into the living room to watch my soaps to escape the 'Why'?


Books and the two soaps Grandma and I'd shared, first on the radio and then on blurry black and white television. The theme songs for Guiding Light and As The World Turns still play in my head when I think about her.


When I was four years old, without warning, Mom and Dad came to Pittsburgh, packed my things, and escorted me to their car. Gramps reached in and handed me a tiny, wooden, handmade cage with my pet Canary named Dickie Bird inside; Grandma gave me my dear tattered teddy bear that had gone missing soon after my parents arrived. Keeping up appearances was their first priority, and Teddy wasn't acceptable. He disappeared when we reached Michigan and never returned. I had no idea that was the last time I'd see my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and neighbor friends.


Daddy seemed to like me, and we did all sorts of things together; fishing, picking up rocks along rural roads to build a Bar-b-Cue pit, deadheading his beautiful Tea Roses, Cosmos and spicy-scented Nasturtiums and feeding the goldfish in the pond he'd made. He'd try to read bedtime stories to me, and Peter Pan is the only one I remember. Mom called him away, "Rich? I need your help!" He'd close the book, turn off the light and leave the room. Finally, he just stopped.


I don't remember Mom much unless she was chastising me for something. "Stand up straight!", "Rewash your hands; they're still not clean." "Why is there mud on your play shoes?" or for an order, "Elizabeth, make me a cup of coffee?" "Have you washed the dishes? What always takes you so long to do such a simple chore!" I'd stand on the little step stool and get lost in the back roads of my imagination in the bubbles. I'd put off scrubbing the toilet until last when cleaning the bathroom. I feared a monster with octopus tentacles or spider legs might grab me and pull me into the water and down the drain. I'd pretend the scrubbing powder was a magic dust that kept the toilet monsters away. I still remember the fake chemical 'clean' smell and the gritty feel of it under my fingers.


I never thought of her as my mother but as a nicely dressed woman with pink fingernails and blondish-red hair. I couldn't love her because she was such a stranger. Sometimes I'd amuse her with my peculiar questions, "Mom, I like this toothpaste, but why is it pink? It doesn't taste pink, and it tastes green." And she'd laugh.


Unfortunately for both of us, most of my questions made her stiff with anger, "Mom, when will I go back home? I miss Grandma and Gramps, and Aunt Ruth and Uncle Henry, and . . ."

"That's enough, Elizabeth! You live here with us, your Mother and Father, and that is how it will stay. We might visit in the summer, but it's just a visit! I knew a slap or paddling with her hair brush might follow, so I quit asking about it.


My baby brother entered our lives when I was eleven years old. My father was overjoyed in every sense of the word. He even ordered birth announcements with tiny black-and-white photos of Matthew Richard on the front. They took the picture in the hospital, which must have cost the earth back in the 1950s. I never saw it until one of my aunts gave me one many years later.


Back then, mothers and babies were hospitalized for a week, sometimes even more. Children weren't allowed to visit. Mom and Matthew came home when he was seven days old. His bassinet sat just inside my parent's bedroom door. I'd spent that week with a neighbor who had five kids. I didn't know them very well, and I remember watching them playing and feeling a little thrill knowing I'd also have a brother to play with.


Mom, Matthew, and Dad came home late on a Sunday afternoon, but I stayed with the neighbor until after dinner. I remember we ate spaghetti and rolls with butter. Foods I'd never eaten at home and tasted delicious, but I longed to see my new brother. The neighbor walked me home, and Dad answered the door; happiness filled his face and voice; I'd never known him like this; My chest swelled with unfamiliar joy I'd forgotten about.


We walked into the kitchen. Dad told me to go to bed, then went into their bedroom and closed the door. That left me feeling sad and confused. I left the bathroom door open, just across the hall from their room, while I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I kept hoping their door would open and they'd invite me in. But it didn't happen.


The next morning, I asked if I may see the baby, but Dad said, "Not now. Your mother is sleeping, and she needs her rest. You can see him after school."


"I'll be very quiet, I promise. I just want to see him."


"No, not now."


Dad went into the bathroom, and I heard the shower water run. Now was my chance. I opened their door, Mom was asleep, and there he was, so small, perfect, and awake! He had blue eyes like Mom. I touched his tiny hand. To my delighted surprise, he grabbed my finger and held on. I swear he smiled at me with recognition, but that might be what I want to remember. It was one of those perfect moments a person never forgets. I heard the shower turn off and hurried out of the room, softly closed the door, and went to school.


I ran all the way home that day, leaving my friends behind, wanting to get home and see Matthew. I turned the corner onto our block, five houses before ours, and saw my Grandmother standing at the end of our driveway. How could life be any more perfect than this day?


I ran even faster and threw my arms around her, smelling Dial soap and face powder. She hugged me, but she didn't laugh or speak. I let go and took a step back. Tears cut little paths through the powder on her cheeks. She removed her glasses and wiped her eyes with a hanky, already wet and crumpled.


"Lizzy (her name for me, not Elizabeth), your brother is in the hospital. He died a few hours ago, and your Mom and Dad are there with him., So I came to stay with you for a few days."


After that, our lives grew even darker and more confusing.


Mom didn't come out of their bedroom for a long time. Dad turned from being kind and funny into an angry, mean, abusive stranger. "Look at you! You're fat!" "Why are you so lazy?" "Your grades are terrible. C's and a D! Why are you so stupid?" Slap!"


No more fishing trips, rock finding, or garden buddy. I was the one who lived and shouldn't have. And I worried that my disobeying my father and touching Matthew had something to do with his death.


I became a wild child in my teens, at least as wild as anyone in the 1960s was. I smoked, lost my virginity at fourteen, skipped school, and did crazy dangerous things that never broke the law but might have gotten me expelled or killed. I had a breakdown when I was thirteen, and the doctor put me on phenobarbital. The pharmacist told me I was too young to take it, but I took it, and it kept me in a sort of walking coma. I still smoked, had sex, and skipped school, but was able to sleep at night and toned my wildness a little.


Mom and I began sharing an uneasy truce and a new, closer relationship. My own babies were in preschool. Then Mom called to say they were moving to Oklahoma to be with Mom's family. She said she never really liked Detroit anyway, so, Mom, Dad, and Joanne, age twelve at that time, were gone within a month.


That triggered my second breakdown. My doctor wanted to hospitalize me, but I had two small children, and my husband worked six days a week, ten hours a day. There was no one to take care of my babies. Instead, came more meds and inpatient therapy three days a week. My poor kids were confused, but the secretary entertained them while I was in treatment. I slowly came out of the searing emotional pain and sadness enough to pick up my life and did the best I could as a wife and a mother.


Over time, and after a lot of therapy, I realized how heartbroken and angry my parents were when Matthew died. And I knew they didn't want to take their pain, rage, and loss out on each other, so I became the target. It wasn't intentional or purposefully mean, but their anguish spewed over me like intense emotional vomit.


Mom and I wrote letters. Dad visited us a few times and always wanted to go to the cemetery and take flowers to Matthew.


One day, many years later, my sister called to tell me Mom had brain cancer and was dying. I'm ashamed to say that I felt nothing, nothing at all, which was more frightening than anything I'd experienced. I was a zombie.

Mom was home, lying, so small, in a hospital bed next to a window. It was a shock to see her white hair, and no makeup or nail polish. This made her even more of a stranger.


Several bird feeders hung outside, and sparrows, finches, and a bluebird fluttered around it. Mom turned her head, looked at me, and said, "What are You doing here?" in an accusatory, unhappy tone. It felt like another slap.


"I came to visit you, Mom," I said, trying to be upbeat.


She turned her head and watched the birds. I sat there for a while. My sister hoped I'd stay the night, so she and Dad could have a break, but I couldn't. The thought terrified me. What if I touched her, and she died right then? Panic rose in me that a triple dose of Xanax couldn't dent, and I raced back to the hotel, feeling like a horrible daughter, sister, and person.


I cried so long and hard that I had no voice when the phone rang. My husband called from back home and asked, "Are you okay?" He knew me, knew what I was feeling, so he talked to me in his gentle, sweet way, telling me about how the kids were and about the antics of our two rescue pups, how the garden had perked up after a rain storm. Finally, my breath and voice returned. I said, "I love you," and went to bed.


Dread squeezing my heart, my throat ached, and my head throbbed with a migraine, but I went back to see Mom the following day.


This time I walked into her room and said, in the softest, kindest tone I could, "Hi, Mom."


She didn't turn her head and seemed to sleep. I began to softly sing, "You are my sunshine," and was happy and surprised when she joined in with, "My only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You'll never know, dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away."


April 02, 2023 21:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Jeannette Miller
14:53 Apr 10, 2023

Patricia, There's a lot going on here and it's definitely a sorrowful story. The ending is fitting as she realizes she's in control of how she ends the relationship with her mom as her mom dies. Stories like these are the most difficult to write sometimes because of the level of vulnerability you show sharing it with the world. I applaud you for doing it. Good job :) It's good to get the gist of your life out on paper (or computer) so that later, when you're ready, you get really flesh it out. One thing here, in the paragraph which starts...

Reply

18:00 Apr 10, 2023

Thank you so much. That's a good idea, about starting it. I wrote in 'as it happened' and afterwards, thought I should write if differently - a lot of 'stuff' to put into 3,000 words or less! This is part of a novel that I'm writing in 'scenes' - like Shirly Jackson did in her two novels about a sort of fictionalized reality of her life raising kids and writing. "Life Among The Savages" is so interesting, entertaining and funny. I did write one 'chapter' title in an earlier story here, "Dad's New Plan" - but it's humor and I wonder if so...

Reply

Jeannette Miller
15:13 Apr 15, 2023

Definitely a great way to write a novel. The more emotions the merrier I think :) Take your readers on a roller coaster! It gives so much more to connect to. :)

Reply

15:56 Apr 15, 2023

Thank you SO much! I'm reading a collection of short stories by Eudora Welty - she's a master of sensory inspiration! xo

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
18:06 Apr 04, 2023

Patricia…despite the sweet ending, this is one helluva sad story. But what struck me about 2/3 of the way through is that this would make a great novel. There is SO much here…almost too much for a “short” story. I can see you fleshing out the characters…all of them…giving them greater life through dialogue while expanding on the settings and exploring the several themes…loss of a child; neglect of another child; the importance of grandparents in a youngster’s life plus a child’s natural curiosity about a newly-born sibling. Oh what a great n...

Reply

19:50 Apr 04, 2023

Thank you so much, I've started the novel many times, and have various 'stories' that are really chapters - it's just so painful to work on - it's a diamond in the rough for sure and there are lighter bits that would add balance - so thank you for the encouragement Sadl this is 90% true - another chapter is about how close my daughter and I were and she has 4 kids - I was so in love with all of them - unfortunately (long story) her husband chaeses after money and they moved from MI to TN in 2004 and I still haven't recovered from that (w...

Reply

Viga Boland
20:49 Apr 04, 2023

OMG… I didn’t know your story but the depth you went into in this piece told me there was a lot of truth behind it and that it was more memoir than fiction by miles. And now you have verified that. So here’s the skinny on this from a woman who wrote her own horrible memoir of incest at 65 years of age after keeping it bottled since I was 11. Even my husband of over 40 years was shocked when the truth came out: that’s how painful it was to tell my story. And now for the skinny, just for you Patricia: it was the best thing I could ever do....

Reply

23:24 Apr 04, 2023

Oh wow - I think there are a lot more of 'us' out there - writing is a blessing. Is your book available to read? This is the first time I've actually gotten that part and that much of it 'down' - it usually swings away into true fiction. I've kept a journal my whole life. I have a large old Samsonite suitcase full of them! Once when my granddaughter was giving my daughter grief over clothes (age 6) I pulled out my journal and read that she had been the exact same way - lol. Thank you so much!

Reply

Viga Boland
00:02 Apr 05, 2023

Any time Patricia. Happy to help and encourage others. My book is very raw. I don’t mince words or spare sensibilities. Stand warned if you dare to read it. But I can’t tell you how many letters of thanks I’ve received from other victims of sexual abuse. It’s been very rewarding. I self-published in 2013 and still earn nice little commissions from Amazon, iBooks, B&N etc. It’s not much but it supplements my old age pension. I have a YouTube channel with lots of videos, interviews re the book. Think one of them might be on my Amazon page. I a...

Reply

00:32 Apr 05, 2023

Thank you - I listen to a lot of audiobooks - this might be a good idea for you. Recently I've been listening to 23 HOURS worth of Eudora Welty's stories - amazing. There is a bit of sexual abuse in my past - but I don't remember it - however, I got into trouble sort of reenacting it with a friend - weird. Some memories are so blurry. !Thanks for the link!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
14:04 Apr 04, 2023

Damn! This rends the heart on so many levels, Patricia. The death of a child is hard to read about, let alone experience IRL. Still, the tale is written well, with heart and kindness and a warmth that belies the darkness of the story. In the end, we have the growth and maturity of both daughter and mother. In the end, hope lives. Nicely done, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

18:06 Apr 04, 2023

Thank you, Delbert - It was very difficult to write - xo

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.