The return of Clown Demon

Submitted into Contest #263 in response to: Start or end your story with a hero losing their powers.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Western

"What did you say about what happened?"

"Ok, you can laugh as much as you want, hold your stomach until you can't stand up straight!"

In an ordinary looking office building, a man in a clown suit was holding a white collar man in a suit to the ground, grabbing him by the collar and roaring.

"You're saying your powers are gone? This joke isn't funny at all!"

The man in the clown suit was actually a demonic magician, who had been regularly messing with the earth since ancient times, creating chaos with "mischievous" behaviors that were difficult for people to understand, and taking pleasure in watching people's fearful images.

The white collar is a former superhero known as "Captain Miracle", who has led other heroes in stopping the Clown Demon's horrific "pranks" dozens of times since his debut. Captain Miracle has been described by the latter as "the best adversary he's had in 2,000 years". This changed his goals - he began to disdain bullying and scaring ordinary people, and began to think about how to make the heroes feel that the justice they carried was as flashy as a balloon.

It was about a year ago that Captain Miracle sealed the Clown Demon in a block of ice at the North Pole. And recently, the Clown Demon miraculously awakened, and the first thing he did when he woke up was to come and seek revenge on Captain Miracle - and then found out that the latter had gone from being a superhero capable of lifting tons of weight and reaching the heavens to being an ordinary man, doing an ordinary job in an ordinary company, living a life no different from that of the ordinary people the Clown Demon usually terrorizedThere was no difference.

"What, in the world, is going on?"

Clown Demon said through gritted teeth.

"Look outside."

Captain Miracle pointed out the window to a bizarre disk-shaped object attached to the top of a towering spire.

"It's aliens," Captain Miracle explained "About six months ago, I think, they came to Earth out of nowhere, and their technology was so advanced - it dismantled our defenses with lightning speed. It was only two weeks before they ruled our planet - my powers were overstretched in the battle with them, turning me into an ordinary human."

"And what of your friends? Sparkle Boy, Flame Girl, Abyss Giant-"

"All dead."

Captain Miracle closed his eyes, as if he didn't want the Joker Demon to see his despair.

"I'm the last one alive."

The Clown Demon let go of Captain Miracle's collar with a look of incredulous surprise.

"The fact is, these aliens are pretty good as leaders," Captain Miracle stood up and patted the dust off his body "Their technology has benefited our society as well, so no one has tried to rebel so far - and no one has the ability to do so."

"So that's it? Slogging through a boring life in a birdcage the aliens made for you?"The clown Demon got up and walked towards the window, twisting his head to fling a look of contempt at Captain Miracle "I overestimated you, Captain Miracle."

The clown Demon flew out the window and plunged into the city that was so foreign to him.

They're all dead?

Your powers are gone?

Now how can I prove to you the fragility of your justice!

The Clown Demon flew and looked at the buildings that held his memories, now receiving alterations from alien technology and becoming very different from what they used to be.

At this moment, on the big screen in the square next to the company, a group of monsters with heads as big as buckets, covered in silver-gray, with big black eyes were making speeches, and the voices they made had obviously been translated by the instrument, and sounded incredibly harsh.

The clown demon continued to fly.

The National Bank, now covered in alien metal, was solid gold.

The Clown Demon had once used a magic bomb to destroy the outer wall of the bank's vault, and then used a magic electric fan to blow the banknotes inside all over the place. Then Captain Miracle and his sidekick Sparkle Boy retrieved all the blown bills and repaired the bank.

Now the place shouldn't be able to be blown up with a bomb.

The harbor, too, was now filled with high-performance fishing boats loaded with alien tech, and the fishermen were happy to drive their boats over the sea in huge waves, the white ones glistening in the sun.

The Clown Demon once caused a commotion in the harbor when he magically brought back to life fossilized undersea creatures from the Museum of Paleontology. It was Captain Miracle and his friend the Abyss Giant who stopped it.

The Zoo, where once the Clown Demon used freezing magic to turn the place into an ice age, turning elephants and giraffes into ice. It was Captain Miracle who led his teammate and love interest, Flame Girl, to free all the animals. And now, the place is filled with advanced alien air conditioners to keep all the animals safe and sound.

What else is there to do?

The clown demon sat down on a park bench and began to think about his life which seemed to have become meaningless.

Now even if he were to wreak havoc on the streets, the mechanical cleaners made by the aliens would be able to clean it up in a matter of minutes.

And this boredom was something he would have to live with for thousands or even tens of thousands of years more.

Then the demonic clown found a group of children.

They were from a nearby orphanage.

The corner of Clown Demon's mouth hung up with a smile he hadn't seen in a long time.

"Balloons! Selling balloons!"

Soon, he used his magic to create a cart for selling balloons, which quickly attracted the children's attention.

"Uncle, I want a balloon!"

"I want one too!"

"Me too!"

The demonic clown handed out a balloon to each of the children, but the children's smiles didn't last more than a few seconds before the balloons all ruptured with a ringing finger.

"Haha, hahaha, hahahahahaha ......"

The demonic clown laughed up to the sky.

But he was miserable inside.

I was once the unrivaled great devil.

And now I'm here bullying orphanage kids for fun!

It's too pathetic.

However, to his surprise, the children didn't get angry or cry, but looked at him with a concerned look.

"Uncle, do you have no friends?"

"Your laughter sounds lonely."

The children's reaction was unexpected from the clown demon.

"Is it also because of those damnable aliens?"

One of the children suddenly asked.

The Clown Demon's interest was piqued, and he used his magic to conjure up a bunch of snacks to keep those kids talking.

"I hate those aliens."

One of the kids said.

"Why?"The clown demon asked as he handed out magic popcorn.

"They destroyed all the space bases," the kid replied "and also built a barrier to stop people from touching space."

"My mom and dad worked on the space station and they can't come back."

"I never met my parents, I was raised by my grandfather, who was taken away by them that day and never came back."

"My mom and dad got divorced and neither wanted me. My uncle is an astronaut and his spaceship was blocked by an alien barrier and now he can't go home ......"

The children talked about what had happened to them and began to cry as they talked.

The clown demon conjured up more snacks, but at the same time, a thought began to germinate in his mind.

Damn, I must have known Captain Miracle's gang for too long!

The next day, Captain Miracle found a letter on his desk, accompanied by a Joker poker card.

To my dearest, dearest Mr. Frenemy.

Sorry, it's Mr. Ex Frenemy.

You seem to be enjoying your life right now.

But I just can't repress the urge to ruin your life.

Look out the window.

Kisses.

Handsome Clown Demon to you.

Captain Miracle dropped the letter and rushed to the office window.

What caught his eye was a rocket conjured by magic by the Clown Demon, who was now dressed in a fancy plaid pilot's uniform, giving Captain Miracle a rude hand gesture from inside the porthole.

Captain Miracle instantly realized that he was planning to crash the rocket into the alien's base.

"Stop it! That'll set off an explosion that will kill you yourself!"

Captain Miracle shouted.

Ugh, that's just how you are.

The Clown Demon pulled the lever and the rocket immediately took off, crashing into the alien's air base.

Every time I try to show you a little respect-

A light flashed.

And you open your mouth to talk crap!

With a loud bang, accompanied by flying shards of metal, the energy barrier in far outer space lifts at the same time.

We can finally go home!

This was the first thought in the minds of the astronauts who were blocked by the barrier in outer space.

Some time later.

The astronauts who were still alive returned to Earth and picked up their children from the orphanage.

The rest of the aliens left Earth, it seemed that the destruction of the base was a very big blow to them, and no one knew if they would ever come back.

And the equipment they left behind was continued to be left behind and used by the Earthlings, after all, the performance was really superior.

The truth of the Clown Demon's act of self-sacrifice was covered up, and it was only assumed that the aliens' own operational errors had triggered the explosion.

Only Captain Miracle knows the truth, and he intends to keep the secret alone.

However, Captain Miracle would periodically patronize the former team's headquarters once in a while.

Even though no one would come back anymore, Captain Miracle would still come regularly to clean it up, as well as to visit the remains of his teammates.

In their honor, Captain Miracle keeps their relics on a table in the conference room, protected from dust by a glass cover.

Sparkle Boy's sports bracelet.

Abyss Giant's pearl necklace.

A photograph documenting Captain Miracle's first date with Flame Girl.

Since that day, there has been an additional glass cover on the table.

Inside is a Joker's poker card.

August 15, 2024 15:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.