2 comments

Funny Holiday Happy

"Hey Mark, you want some coffee?" Angela, one of Mark's coworker, asked as she walked by Mark's cubicle.

"Hm? Oh, coffee? Thanks, but no thanks. I brought my own." Mark replied, giving a smile to Angele as he showed her his coffee mug.

"I see. Well, enjoy your coffee." Angela stated before leaving to get herself a coffee.

"Oh I will enjoy my coffee. My coffee without any added flavors." Mark mutters to himself as he goes back to work, typing in tje documents he was tasked to type. "Psh, 'Want some coffee Mark?' Yeah right, you were just planning on pranking me by adding weird things into it." Mark mumbles to himself as he continues to type away the documents.

It is currently April 2nd and April 1st just ended yesterday but Mark us unaware of the dates and he thinks that today is April 1st.

"Hey Mark? Have you tried these brownies that Katie brought? They taste divine!" Arthur, his other coworker stated as he handed Mark some brownies. "You have to try them! They will make your taste buds explode!"

"Oh, brownies, don't mind if I do!" Mark answered as he took a handful of brownies and throws them on the ground before stepping on them. "Ooh, they taste delicious!"

Arthur is in complete shock as he watched Mark throw the perfectly good brownies that Katie brought. "Dude!? What is wrong with you!?"

"Not today Arthur! You will not make me eat chilli injected brownies!" Mark yelled out as he stated walking away, walking towards the break room of their office. "Not today!!!"

"What!?" Arthur is left confused and in shock as he looks at Mark walking away. A couple of his coworkers ask what was going on with Mark to where he answered he has no clue.

In the break room, Mark just entered and started making his own coffee, there, Angela spotted him.

"Mark, what are you doing here? I thought you brought your own coffee to work?"

"Hmm? Oh, yeah, I just finished it all and I need some more." Mark answered as he searches the break room for an extra mug.

"Oh! Perfect timing, I accidentally made two coffee." Angela stated as he handed Mark a cup of coffee.

"You accidentally made two cups of coffee?" Mark asked, concerned that the coffee may contain some weird flavorings to it. "How did that happen?"

"Oh you know, this forgetful mind of mine. I couldn't find the first coffee I made and I thought that I still haven't made it yet so, I made a new one only to see that the first coffee I made was sitting on the desk behind me. So, yeah, two coffees." Angela answered as she takes a sip from her coffee. "I would drink it but, I'm afraid that having two coffee might not sit right in my stomach."

"Hmm, coffee might not sit right in your stomach? I wonder what could be the reason behind that." Mark asked as he starts smelling the coffee for some unnecessary aroma, having suspicions that Angela added some liquid that would make his stomach go bad.

"I don't know, maybe because too much caffeine?"

"Caffeine?"

"Yeah, caffeine. Too much caffeine makes my stomach go crazy."

"Yeah, I noticed." Mark stated as he started pouring the coffee in the sink.

Angela is in shock as she watches Mark throw away a perfectly made cup of coffee. "W-what are you doing? Why are you wasting coffee?"

"I don't know, maybe I don't want to make my stomach go crazy." Mark answered before leaving the break room, heading back towards his cubicle.

Angela is still confused and in shock after seeing perfect coffee go to waste.

"Psh, people these days, thinking that they can prank me. I know every pranks there is and how they start, this guy will be impossible to prank." Mark says to himself as he walks back to his cubicle.

Before he could reach it, he was called over by his boss, Mr. McKinsey. "Mark! Come here for a second."

"Sup Mr. M?"

"Oh nothing much, just wanted to call you over because I wanted to give you this. Take it as my appreciation for working very hard for this company." Mr. McKinsey stated as he handed Mark an apple pie which was wrapped in cellophane wrap. "The Mrs baked it herself."

"Ahh! Apple pie wrapped in cellophane! Oldest trick in the book!"

Mr. McKinsey looks at Mark confused, unable to understand what he meant by 'oldest trick in the book'. "What are you talking about?"

"Hm? Oh you know, as soon as I take this and walk towards my cubicle you will make me trip and my face will fall right into this here pie."

"What? I'm still not following it."

"Well, Mr. McKinsey. I have been monitoring everyone in this building and from their actions, it's safe to say that everyone here is planning on pranking me." Mark answered as he looks at the pie. "I am terribly sorry Mr. McKinsey, but I am not going to get pranked today." Mark added as he threw the apple pie towards his boss, making the sauce of the apple pie get splattered all over Mr. McKinsey's face. "April Fool's Mr. McKinsey!" Mark yelled out as he laughs. His coworkers in shock as they stop what they were doing and stare at the scene Mark has caused.

"Mark! What are you doing!?" Arthur asked, concerned on Mark's behavior.

"What? It's April Fool's! You thought I didn't see through your actions this morning? Come on, what do you take me for?" Mark answered, laughing as he pats Mr. McKinsey's back.

"Mark! Are you out of your mind!? Today's the 2nd of April!!! April Fool's was yesterday!!!" Angela yells out, panicking about what to do about the apple pie sauce on Mr. McKinsey's face.

Mark is silent, trying to understand what his coworkers are saying. "I-I'm sorry, what?"

"April Fool's was yesterday!" His coworkers say in unison.

"Oh..." Mark lets out, realizing what was happening. "Huh, well that explains why the coffee Angela made me yesterday tasted funny and the brownies Katie gave me were so spicy."

"You didn't know April 1st was yesterday?" Arthur asked.

"No, I had zero to no idea that it was April 1st yesterday." Mark answered.

Mr. McKinsey took off the pie sticking on his face, wiping off some of the sauce from his eyebrows.

"I'm not fired for this, right?" Mark asked, trying to help Me. McKinsey clean off the sauce.

"You'll be lucky if you receive your salary this month."

"Understandable."

End

March 31, 2021 02:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Unknown User
01:07 Apr 01, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Dashiii Vargas
05:34 Apr 01, 2021

Thank you so much! 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.