2 comments

Adventure Romance

She stood in front of the mirror. Rehearsing. again.

Today's meeting is really important. I mean really important. She's been waiting for this opportunity for a very long time and everything needs to be perfect!

She does this way too often, falling into the same trap over and over again, she reminds herself, things need to be right, not perfect.

She checked her bag, her laptop and her outfit before finally leaving the house and heading to work.

She took the stairs, sixth floor or not, she would like to postpone using an elevator for another two decades at least.

Plus, physical activity before the meeting would do her good, something to overcome the intensity of racing thoughts in her head.

She arrived at her company's floor, said hello to Marina at the front desk and headed right into the meeting room to set up her presentation.

She really wants this account. She's worked hard for years in PR & Advertising. She is ready for her first big account. A home maintenance franchise.

She was the only woman in the room.

Just breathe.

But she could do this, she told herself again. She deserved this.

And guess what? The meeting went great! Why was she so nervous about this?

In the back of the room, sat Brandon. A small-town boy who found himself in the big city all of the sudden. He had seen Charlotte casually in the office a few times, but they never really worked together. He listened to her every word.. And found himself unknowingly smiling a couple of times. Charlotte wasn't beautiful with today's standards and she looked misplaced in this room full of white middle-aged men. She had small but piercing black eyes. An odd-looking mouth and small stature. He loved how her features looked out of sync with each other yet looked so good together!

A couple of months went by. Charlotte was doing great with her new promotion. She went out with the new team once; it was quite unpleasant! She missed going out with her friends m but as she has been working more late nights, it’s become more difficult to find time for herself, not to mention that she still has to run errands for her grandmother.

Well the week’s over now. She’ll just go home tonight and relax. She has to go apartment hunting this weekend. She wants to move closer to her grandmother but still be on the bus route to work.

Charlotte packed her things and headed to the stairwell, but the door was closed.

That’s strange.

She tried one more time.

Okay, I’ll just take the lift.

She walked to the other side of the office and pressed the button. As she was waiting for the elevator to reach her floor, a man stood beside her.

The elevator door opened and they both got in.

Six, five, four, three, BANG!

She felt her breath being taken away all of the sudden and she was dizzy.

It took her a few seconds to realize what was happening.

The man next to her had already pressed the emergency button. No use.. It seems like there's a power cut.

She looked down at her phone. No signal either.

Just breathe. This whole thing will be over in a few minutes. Power cuts don't last more than 10 minutes around here.

The man turned to her and asked "Are you okay?"

"Yes". She answered. She must have looked as bad as she felt.

Another five minutes passed by in silence.

The terror within her had risen.

"I will never take another elevator in my life."

"That sounds a bit extreme don't you think?"

She didn't realize she had said that out loud!

"Oh, yeah, I don't usually take lifts. I prefer walking"

"Aha, that's why I haven't caught you in here before."

He sounded silly. His smile was silly, she thought. But also sweet.

This must be the first conversation between her and Brandon. He's not much of a talker.

Ten minutes had passed. Not promising.

Brandon took off his jacket, folded it and sat over it.

"It seems like we'll be here for a while, might as well get comfortable."

Again with the silly smile. She followed his lead. And once she was on the floor she questioned herself. Why did she copy him?

Before she could answer herself, he asked her about how the job was going and she started telling him about how excited she is to be running this account.

She had met Alfred's wife, the company's owner last month. She is such a lovely lady. They spent the afternoon discussing Mitch Alboms' books with tea and biscuits.

They laughed simultaneously and their eyes locked.

It wasn't being stuck in an elevator with this guy, there was more to it. They liked most of the same music, they both had no clue how to use snapchat and they actually liked watching those 5 minutes crafts videos that never work. Or maybe they're just not that crafty?

Suddenly the elevator started moving again! Power's back!

She looked down at her phone and realized it's been forty minutes. Did time fly by as quickly for him?

Brandon's heart was racing, was this actually happening? Did Charlotte ever notice how he looked at her?

They got up and stepped out of the elevator on the ground floor. Brandon turned to her and offered her a ride home.

She said yes, she didn't even try to negotiate.

She got into his Camri and he turned the radio on.

They drove together and talked some more, she told him about her grandmother and he said he'd like to meet her one day.

She blushed.

After a few blocks, strangers in the night blasted from the radio, they exchanged a glace and half giggled.

He dropped her off and walked her to the door.

They stood silently for a moment, then Brandon said, do you wanna go to the beach?

I thought you'd never ask!

September 08, 2020 18:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ariadne .
21:29 Sep 14, 2020

This story was amazing. I just think there are some point-of-view (POV) mistakes. In the beginning, you wrote, "I mean really important." However, the entire story seems to be in 3rd person POV (she, he, it, they). I'm not sure if you meant it to be like this to show her thoughts or not; I apologize if this was your intention. Other than that, your story is excellent! Great work! Please review my story if you can. It would be much appreciated!

Reply

Ala Arafat
12:04 Sep 16, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback! I kinda did mean to express her thoughts, but could have narrated that in a better way :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.