73 comments

Sad Teens & Young Adult

"Honey, please don't make me tell you this. You don't understand what you're asking" Mom said, a desperate plea sounding in her voice. I almost let it go, thought that Mom wouldn't be able to get through it, but then I remembered the secret's importance. She might not have wanted to find my Dad, but I did, and I was going to.

"Come on, Mom. Tell me." I implored. She was not going to lie again. I loved her, but I needed to know. It was time.

"Fine. He... Left us two weeks after I had you. He took off, and I couldn't find him. I searched everywhere, and then... he... h-he sent me a text. Said it was over... A couple of weeks later, my f-friend saw him. Here's the address." Then she left the room. I hated to put her through this, but I had to. It was the only way to see him. The only way to see my dad. I wish that it wasn't the only way. That she didn't have to feel this pain. The sad truth was, though, that there wasn't another way. I had to find my dad. I had to tell him about the pregnancy.

_______________________________________________

"Last stop: Windrixville." The conductor's booming voice roared over the hissing of the train. I stood up, my legs aching from hours of sitting in anticipation. I thought I would never be off of this train, but there I was. I was walking down the steps into the dark, dank city that my Dad lived in.

As I stepped off into the streets, the smell of urine hit me immediately, but I had expected that. I pushed through, forcing myself to breathe no matter what the air smelled like. A mother in the streets held up a sign that read "Please give money, food, or clothes. I have children to provide for." I pitied her. I really did. My mother had gone through the same thing for 3 years until she got a job. If I didn't get to work immediately, I wouldn't be able to provide for my baby.

I walked past the mother despite her desperate stare. I needed to save all the money that I had. It hurt to admit, but my baby meant more to me than hers.

"Sweetie, you want to buy a bike for the day? I promise it's worth your while!" A grifter said, looking at my chest. I pushed past him, disgusted at how my Dad could ever think of living here. I wondered what he would look like. He might've been a friendly, middle-aged man, with big eyes and a big heart. He might've remarried. He might've not even decided to stay at that house. That was a risk I would have to take, though.

"Taxi!" I yelled, waving down a cab. As I got in, I could see I wasn't alone. There was a young girl in the cab, sobbing. "Honey, are you okay? You seem lost." I asked, trying to act like a mother.

"No! I... I can't leave the city. I'm trapped here, and I can't get out." She said, much to my alarm. Of all the things that the girl could say at that moment, that was the one that surprised me the most.

"It's okay, honey. I trust in you. You'll make it out of here someday. Someday, you can leave this place behind you and travel the world. You can do whatever you want. You look like you're only ten! You have plenty of years left to do what you want with life." I said. I didn't truly understand her pain, but I knew what it felt like, trapped as if you can't escape no matter what you do. That, for me, was my addiction to cocaine.

I never wanted to try it. I never even wanted to get near it. But one night, I did, and it hooked me. It took me years before I could get clean, and that was with the help of family and friends. There were tons of addicts out there that needed help, and I couldn't help them.

That was the problem these days. Everyone was so wrapped up in their own problems that they don't stop to try and help someone else. As I got out of the cab, I was solemn and stone-faced, remembering my painful days:

"Honey, please. Put it away!" Mom screamed, trying to pry the cocaine out of my hands.

"STOP IT! I DON'T NEED YOU TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO! I CAN HANDLE MY..." I had started to say, then dropped off into oblivion.

Four hours later, I was in the hospital, unable to move or speak. I only wanted more. More cocaine. It was at that moment that I knew I needed to stop.

I shook the memory out of my head, refusing to relive it. I changed, and I was never going to be like that again. I walked up the street, wary of the houses that loomed over like gargoyles. As I knocked on the door of my father's house, the truth of the situation hit me. I hadn't seen my father in all my twenty-five years. He might've not even been there! Just then, the door opened, and for the first time, I got to look upon my father.

"Dad? I mean, are you James Morrison?" I asked, all my confidence fading away. I couldn't believe my eyes. In front of me was a stout, young man with black hair and cold eyes. He couldn't be my Dad. Could he?

______________________________________________

I always knew this day would come. I would always have to meet my daughter sometime. Her mother wouldn't be able to keep quiet. Still, I was grateful that it took twenty-five years. That gave me enough time to get my life together. I had a new family now, and I wasn't about to let Maria drag me back into my old one. She had expected me to be faithful to her during her various addictions, her abusive periods, and even her cheating. I was not going to. I wasn't going to let that devil woman shove her daughter on me, not after what she did to me. No matter how sorry she was. I looked up at the beautiful young woman, holding back tears, and told her "No."

November 16, 2020 16:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

73 comments

Wow...I am amazed by the quality of your writing! I really enjoyed it! Great job! :)

Reply

. .
18:22 Nov 16, 2020

Thanks so much!!!!!!!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
23:34 Nov 16, 2020

Hey, Luke! I reread your bio. Thank you so much for mentioning me! You're so nice!!!!! Also, with the part about downvoting.... well, let's just say that's been going on for a while now. Like since August. Someone has been taking from me and a bunch of other people- I lost about 700 points in total. It's mean-spirited and no one likes it, but there's nothing you can do. Don't get your hopes up on someone telling you they're doing it.... it's really sad, honestly, especially for new authors on here (such as yourself) who don't really know...

Reply

. .
00:35 Nov 17, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Megan Sutherland
01:22 Nov 17, 2020

Yeah! Thought you'd wanna know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
19:53 Nov 16, 2020

Hey Luke!! I made it over here! And I am so glad I did! Your writing is so good! The story you have written is so bittersweet and beautiful! The title is intriguing and it fits your story absolutely perfectly! I would definitely suggest this story to teens and young adults, so nice job hitting your intended target! This prompt seemed really difficult to do, but you made it look super easy!!! 'I looked up at the beautiful young woman, holding back tears, and told her "No."' What an ending! Beautiful!! As far as grammar corrections ...

Reply

. .
19:55 Nov 16, 2020

That means so much coming from you! Thank you so much!

Reply

Felicity Anne
00:38 Nov 17, 2020

No problem! You are truly an amazing writer! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
17:58 Nov 16, 2020

Wow...just wow. Luke, you have outdone yourself this time. (They Didn't Break Me is my favorite, though.)

Reply

. .
18:22 Nov 16, 2020

Lol that was the only one that I didn't do a second round of editing on. Thanks so much!

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:34 Nov 16, 2020

Np! (But seriously, it was amazing)

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:55 Nov 18, 2020

Hi! Me, again. I am seeking guidance on Part 3. The plot, specifically.

Reply

. .
18:20 Nov 18, 2020

What exactly do you want to accomplish with this part of the story? Do you want them to get into the arena, or what?

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:27 Nov 18, 2020

Not yet. I know that, at some time in the story, they have to dress up and have breakfast with the royals. (That's where we meet a new character, Princess Danelle Valerie Loire. (she's Darius's aunt) and...uh...she helps Eiriene with her plan, and she, Karila, and Eriene become fast friends. (Or so they think...) and she notices one of the noble's sons kinda staring at her. They might fight during training that day, not sure yet. He lets her beat him or something, instantly making her a target for the other contestants? I have no idea. I lit...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
18:26 Nov 18, 2020

I would try and get into the contest in this story or the next.

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:29 Nov 18, 2020

Definitely the next. This is going to end the night before the fight, I think.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
13:52 Nov 19, 2020

You are officially at 507!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

. .
13:52 Nov 19, 2020

Lol. Go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co2-KdoI2bs And it'll show you that moonbyul's better than jennie.

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:58 Nov 19, 2020

Oh, FINE

Reply

. .
13:59 Nov 19, 2020

Did you watch it? Are you emboldened with truth?

Reply

Mira Caplan
14:03 Nov 19, 2020

Ok....for SOME, Moonbyul's better, but for other, Jennie is! For Du-Duu-Du and Playing With Fire and Solo and Kill This Love she's better, but....I guess so

Reply

. .
14:04 Nov 19, 2020

In terms of versatility, Moonbyul is also flexible, because she can do soft, sad, happy, crazy, angry, and Jenny just does angry girl crush.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
13:59 Nov 19, 2020

I DISAGREE

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
23:36 Nov 16, 2020

Ok, now on the story! hehe It was so good!!! Loved it! Super sad though. Great job!

Reply

. .
00:36 Nov 17, 2020

ThAnK YoU So MuCh!!!

Reply

Megan Sutherland
01:22 Nov 17, 2020

oF cOuRsE!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
15:18 Dec 09, 2020

Hi, Luke! Question: do you want my honest critique? I saw you want to win awards in the future, so it may be helpful. :)

Reply

. .
15:19 Dec 09, 2020

Yes please!

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
15:26 Dec 09, 2020

Okay! So I'm going to do my best here and remember, this isn't a personal attack, I'm just saying what I see that could be changed and what needs to change in order to make a good story. :) Remember I believe in all young writers as long as they listen and are willing to learn! - Someone said your grammar is really awesome. It is, but it can still be improved. Run this through a grammar check like Grammarly or Hemingway before submitting. It'll also help with passive voice. - For the amount of emotion that you were trying to impart for t...

Reply

. .
15:29 Dec 09, 2020

Thanks, I was trying to make that a part of her personality, the impersonal attitude towards what we think of as mean and immoral. Also, i did use Hemingway and Grammarly at the same time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
August Jett
21:14 Nov 16, 2020

Wow, wow, wow. This was absolutely incredible and heart wrenching from start to finish! Perfect way to the complete the pompt, and just an amazing, amazing job!! I can't wait to read more of your work!

Reply

. .
21:15 Nov 16, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
01:08 Dec 29, 2020

**gasp** Suspense overload. I am in awe with your writing abilities, it honestly leaves me desperate to read your other stories. My feedback for this story is a simple grammatical error, ["Honey, please don't make me tell you this. You don't understand what you're asking"] You need to add a full stop there, but other than that, amazing job! :D

Reply

. .
12:40 Dec 29, 2020

Thanks so much!! Yeah, I wasn't very experienced when I write this *sarcastically says experienced in a french accent cuz why not*. XD Thanks!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.