The Day the World Ended is the Day it Began

Submitted into Contest #39 in response to: Two people who thought they were the last people left on Earth end up meeting by chance.... view prompt

0 comments

Science Fiction

Charlie

           It was the end of the world all things destroyed including human life, all but me and I had one question "Why me?!" It had all started as a beautiful sunny day, I was in the backyard with my mom, little sister Lacy, and our dog Jackie. Next thing I knew the sky went dark and rain started pouring down. Oh, how it burned! My family and I quickly ran inside for shelter. We sat huddled inside while outside it rained awful, awful rain.


Sasha

           It was cold, that was the first thing I realized when I woke up. After I was up and started looking around, I realized I could not spot a single human or animal. It seemed like I was the only one. The last thing I noticed was how unnervingly quiet it was I could not hear a thing, not even my own footsteps. I made more noises as I went along, I tried talking to myself, clapping even screaming but nothing. Then it hit me, I must be deaf! I slowly started freaking out how could this have happened and why could not I remember anything. What is wrong with me?!?! After walking around for hours, I was exhausted, and I found a place to sleep and slept the night away.


Charlie

           Oh, how my eyes burned I could barely see, and I could hear my family moaning behind me. I could not reach them the pain was too much. I yelled at them but there was no response, were they dead?! I walked towards where they last were feeling the walls as I went by. I felt a small body it was my little sister, I felt for a pulse but there was none. I held back my anguish holding her small frame. I walked farther running into my mom. I hear a sob as a hand weakly touched my face "Oh sweetie your eyes, they’re burned."


Sasha

           I woke up with a pounding headache, guess that is what I get for sleeping on the concrete, or at least I thought it was from the concrete. Then I saw the blood a puddle next to me. I felt around my face for the source when I reached my ear it came back bloody. I touched the other ear it was the same. I sat up fast screaming, what was going on, was I going to die? No, I had to calm down. I had to figure this out, and not lose my mind. I stood up and looked around luckily, I had slept near a clothing store. I ran in and grabbed a shirt and some scissors I found behind the store counter. I rushed out sat down and cut strips wrapping them around my ears. Hopefully, the bleeding would stop soon.


Charlie

           "Mama, I can’t see! " I cried out. As I lost consciousness, I could hear my mother say, "I love you". When I came to, I found myself in the now cold embrace of my dead mother. I got up holding back my tears once again and headed out the front door to see if there were any survivors. But there were not any, I cried for all the people that had been lost, friends, family, everyone dead except for me. I went on the best I could, considering I kept running into bodies and cars. Accidentally, I ran into a stick, I decided to use it for navigation as I went along until I found a place to sleep.


Sasha

           The bleeding had finally stopped thankfully. Looking around I thought I saw something, it looked like a small animal.  I thought everything was dead, I walked closer. When I caught sight of it, I was shocked, it was another person. I walked towards them not wanting to disturb. I took a closer look and realized it was a boy. He looked to be around my age, but his eyes were severely burned so I would guess he was blind. But how was he alive? I poked him with my finger hoping to wake him. He started to wake up, bringing a stick in his hand around whacking me in the face. "What the hell was that for?” He stood up quickly reaching for my face. He touched it and said something but since I am deaf, I did not understand. So, I said to him, " I'm deaf I can't hear you, do you know sign language?” 


Charlie

           I signed "Yes. How are you alive? I thought I was the only one left.” She said “I don't know, I can't remember anything only my name and basics like that. What happened to your eyes it looks painful" she asked? I told her that it was excruciating and then launched into what had happened until this moment. Her voice was sad and shaky when she said, "I'm so sorry". I signed "It's ok, what happened to your ears?" She responded, “I don't remember, I just woke up and couldn't hear, then I went to sleep and when I woke up I found my ears bleeding, I think they've stopped now." I heard her reach over and undo something around her head, she dropped it to the ground and said, "I'm starting to get tired how about we find a place to sleep? Soon enough we found a place to sleep and we laid down for the night.


Sasha

           When I woke up, I felt awful. My head hurt, my stomach hurt, and I could barely stay conscious. I shook Charlie and said "I don't feel too good" before passing out.


Charlie

           I tried shaking her as soon as she passed out, but she did not stir. I tried everything nothing happened though. I had to find medicine, but how? I grabbed her and drug her to the building we were next to that I had felt last night. I went inside, feeling around I felt some cardboard and some rope. Once I made my makeshift sled, I put her on and went to find a hospital to find medicine. I started walking, I did not know how I was going to find it, but I needed a hospital.


Sasha

.......


Charlie

           I finally reached something in what felt like about ten miles. After I reached the hospital, I left Sasha at the entrance. I ran in feeling around the counters and felt some bottles I grabbed them and ran outside where Sasha was. Kneeling, I shook Sasha awake. I signed "Quickly, what do these say?" She read them to me. I grabbed the first two and signed, "Take these" she sat up and took them, laid back down, and passed out. 


Sasha

           I woke up feeling slightly better, I shook Charlie awake "Thank you,” I said, "For everything." I leaned down and softly planted a kiss on his head. I sat up and with help from Charlie and unsteadily stood. I took Charlie's hand and asked, “where to next?" He softly planted a kiss on my hand and signed “I don’t know, but we are staying here for now, until you fully recover.”

May 01, 2020 01:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.