49 comments

Drama Romance Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

CW: Abuse, swearing


“Oh my God! It’s happening,” Melissa Alton sputtered out in a breathless whisper, her well-modulated television journalist voice drowning in a wine-dark sea of nerves inside her. As she sat on the stool of the cedar dresser set, painted her favourite lavender, she bought from a rummage sale seven years ago, she felt her entire body tremble like a purple maple leaf in an autumn breeze.


She stared at the mirror and broke into a slight, polite grin, her facial muscles tightening as it settled into the familiar quiet little smile it had to memorise years ago, as if it were a choreographed dance. She studied her reflection and realised she, as her girlfriends put it, still had it. Her auburn, almost pansy-coloured waves cascaded on her shoulders; never mind the fact that some white streaks showed at the front. Her sapphire eyes were starting to gain back the sparkle that, once upon a time, made onlookers on the streets of Islington gawk. Her frothy lilac gossamer dress gave her an air of a tulip attempting to reach a cerulean sky.


However, there was once a time when Melissa….


“No, stop,” the normally poised newsreader yelled at the empty room. “Now’s not the time to think about…”


Buzz!


As soon as single name flashed across the screen of her phone, Melissa’s blue eyes lit up like the klieg lights of the studio she worked in.


“Brandon,” she whispered. The sliver of a smile that formed moments ago fully transformed into a beam.


Brandon Ryan --- Melissa’s best friend from the network, the editor who had immediately welcomed her on her first day on the job a decade ago by showing her the best places to get coffee, the shoulder she cried on when a partner she loved a lifetime ago snuck into the arms of another woman, the bearer of the hazel eyes she often stole a little glance at whilst reading her scripts for the past year --- had asked her out to dinner. Inside her, a million purple emperor butterflies fluttered in her stomach as she replayed how she’d imagined the night would unfurl like a rich sangria rug for a millionth time. She let her skinny fingers scroll through the photos in her mobile and select a photo of her date, zooming in on his soulful amber orbs.


She glanced at the mauve clock on her wall and winced. 5:30 p.m. Technically, she still had 30 minutes to spare but didn’t want to be late for her rendez-vous with the man she fancied. She dug through her make-up drawer for the tube of Lancôme’s L’Absolu Rouge lipstick she had been saving for “the unlikely scenario that Brandon…” She carefully removed the shiny black plastic cap and swiped on the creamy, raspberry-coloured wax onto her bow lips.


“Not bad,” she surmised as she regarded the image of herself on the glass. The luscious formulation on her mouth gleamed in the amber light of the violet pendant light on her ceiling, and she couldn’t help breaking into an expression of pure content.


“I quite like it. I look….”


Like a streetwalker!


It was only three words, buried in the indigo midnight of her consciousness, but as it crawled out like a monster hungry for jam-coloured blood, Melissa felt the little amethyst spark of joy in her extinguish in a moment. In her Islington flat, she was kilometres away from sea, yet in her mind, a wine-coloured tidal wave crashed upon her.


Once upon a time, the rich purples Melissa considered her favourite were the very thing that swallowed her whole.


The day she met Walter five years ago at The Aubergine Lounge, her favourite bar, his shirt was purple. Melissa had just finished a rousing rendition of Billie Holiday’s “Violets for Your Furs” when she felt a large hand slipping a piece of paper into her pocket. When she got to her table, she unfolded the small note to read “Walter Froome. 79606 66321” in mulberry ink. Before she could even ponder how that sheet ended up in her tiny hands, he swaggered his way to her table and introduced himself, his periwinkle eyes glimmering under the bar’s lights. As Walter broke into a wide, toothy smile, intensely stared into her sapphire eyes, and coyly talked about his love for Deep Purple, Melissa felt the hope of a possible love bloom in her like a wild iris. They would go out to dinner and drinks the week after, the lavender scent of affection flooding her senses the entire time.


The day she moved in with Walter six months later, the presents overflowing in the living room were wrapped in purple. Just the day before, Melissa and Walter had just had an argument over her beloved lavender dresser set, --- her asking to bring it over as the only piece of furniture she wanted, him forcefully insisting it would clash with his black furniture --- so when she noticed the display of plum-clad boxes, she couldn’t help raising an eyebrow. He explained it away as wanting to treat her as if she were born to the purple. As she tried to respond to say she just wanted an apology, Walter deeply smooched her mulberry-coloured lips. She would shrug and convince herself that perhaps, Walter just wasn’t good with words, the magenta warning signs in her head flooding her eyes the entire time.


The day Walter first screamed at her a further four months after, her lipstick was purple. By this time, Melissa’s lilac-coloured planner had been stripped of entries, apart from work meetings and interviews; every time she wanted to have dinner or drinks with friends, an issue with a client or a family member seemed to always pop up like a thistle weed on a patch of grass for Walter. It was her job to stay and listen to his tearful moaning, of course. One day, after coming home from an interview with a band called Orchid, she first heard it: a guttural yell paired with sharp pointing towards her berry-painted lips.


“Don’t cry, you slut! People would hear you. Are you fucking stupid or something,” he spat at her. “This is your fault for looking like a streetwalker, you know.”


She would tell herself that she was to blame for the outburst, the lilac handkerchief in her pocket flooding with tears the entire time.


The day he pushed her to her favourite dresser after an explosive argument over wedding colours, her bruises were purple. The day she packed her bags and snuck out the door whilst he was meeting with a client a week later, her suitcases were purple. She would move to the other side of the city, her ultramarine Mini flooded with the pieces of her entire life.


“Maybe, this is a bad idea,” stated Melissa as she quaked in her make-up chair. She grabbed a piece of cotton and doused it with micellar water. “I mean what would Brandon….”


Ding dong!


She gasped as jelly-like legs propped her up and walked her to the mauve-painted door of her flat. She took a sharp intake of breath as she unlocked the entrance.


“Hi, Brandon. Look, I know the lipstick….”


“Are you okay, Melissa,” he asked, concern scintillating in his hazel eyes.


“I’m okay. I mean I’m going out with you and….”


Without a word, Brandon took Melissa’s jittery hand in his and stroked it gently, starting from her glittery amethyst nails all the way to her blanched knuckles.


“We can just stay here, you know. I can make you coffee. I’ll grab the purple mug you like. How does that sound?”


“I…uh….I….”


“That is, if you want to."


Melissa took in the bright smile on her aubergine-shirted date and felt the wine-coloured waves swallowing her roll back.


“Yes, I’d like that, Brandon. If that’s okay.”


“Perfect,” he replied. “I’ll get your espresso machine running. Oh, and by the way…”


“By the way… what?”


“By the way, you look beautiful in your berry lipstick.”

May 31, 2024 13:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

49 comments

Fern Everton
00:17 Jun 10, 2024

I love how you used the color purple throughout the story in different contexts! It’s interesting to see how the meaning changes depending on the situation. Also love the wholesome ending as Melissa realizes she’s not in the situation she was before and now she knows someone who truly cares about her. Another lovely story, Alexis!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:38 Jun 10, 2024

Hi, Fern ! Like I said in previous comments, I...wish the choice of purple as my central imagery theme wasn't all too easy to select. But yes, Melissa indeed found someone who truly loves and cares for her, someone who truly feels like home. I had to give it to my protagonist. Thank you, as usual, for being so kind and supportive of my writing ! Glad you liked the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
14:56 Jun 09, 2024

Great story, Alexis! I love your details and imagery and the flow of your writing. You are very talented!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:23 Jun 09, 2024

Oh wow ! That means a lot, McKade ! Thank you ! You are also extremely talented, just so you know !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:17 Jun 07, 2024

Thanks for reading my story "Today" Alexis :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
09:38 Jun 07, 2024

But of course, Laura ! That was such a stunning, poignant tale. You are a brilliant writer ! I realise my comment on your piece didn't go through because of some internet issues I've been facing. Oh well, let me type it again !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Giovanna Ramirez
01:46 Jun 07, 2024

Alexis, fantastic work! Just like your previous story, you manage to craft such wonderful storytelling with one peculiar detail. The use and symbolism of the color purple in all its glory and shades is an extremely creative thing to do in a prose format since use of such technique is usually reserved for poetry. Despite the darkness she faced with Walter, I'm glad this story had Melissa find a better ending with Brandon.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:23 Jun 07, 2024

Giovanna, I'm so chuffed you liked this ! I suppose my style of picking a theme for my imagery is indeed something I picked up from poetry -- how I got started with creative writing. I just can't do (as someone put it) meat and potatoes writing; for me, language can paint pictures, so I always want to play with it. I know it's not for everyone, but oh well. Indeed, sometimes, a wonderful light of a person is what helps you heal. Melissa certainly has that in Brandon. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Giovanna Ramirez
03:48 Jun 07, 2024

I absolutely agree, Alexis! Language does paint pictures and for you to truly apply that to your craft is admirable. How I use imagery in my work is also mainly inspired by poetry, which is why I could recognize that in yours. Keep it up, I'm psyched to read your next pieces!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
20:02 Jun 06, 2024

Amazing vivid imagery and descriptions make this high impact and the storyline is so cleverly woven through it! The concept of the purple makes this stand out with uniqueness and it is so expressive. Great writing!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:15 Jun 07, 2024

Thank you so much, Kristi ! Like I said in some comments, the choice of purple as the central imagery theme was easy...too easy and personal...for me. I'm glad it worked, though. As usual, thanks for the support !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aidan Romo
11:08 Jun 06, 2024

I LOVE your use of purple in both imagery and as an emotional symbol for our protagonist's journey! It's so well handled and beautiful to read! You encapsulate so well how people like Walter can dent people in the worst ways for years to come, for their own selfish gain, but can be overcome with the right outside help. Lovely job!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:42 Jun 06, 2024

Thank you so much, Aidan ! I'm glad you liked the use of purple in the story. Let's just say...I wish that the inspiration for that isn't all too real....But yes, sometimes, someone comes into people in this kind of situation's lives and helps them breathe again. Thanks for the read !

Reply

Aidan Romo
22:15 Jun 06, 2024

Of course! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
17:10 Jun 05, 2024

Alexis, I confess I've never read such a colorful story! Your integration of color to almost every sentence both amused and astounded me. Of course, you use all that variety to take us deep into the landscape of Melissa's mind in such a charming way. This is a rich, fun story that shows the joy of being seen for who you are. A great read!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:47 Jun 05, 2024

Oh my, thank you so much, John ! I'm glad you liked my incorporation of colour. Indeed, it is lovely to be seen and loved for who you are. A love like that is incomparable. Thanks for the read !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:18 Jun 03, 2024

Wow! So so beautifully written, really a work of art!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:30 Jun 03, 2024

Astrid, that means so very much ! Thank you so much. And thank you for taking the time to read and comment. PS: I looove your name. One of my favourite names ever. Hahahaha !

Reply

08:51 Jun 04, 2024

Thank you so much! I have to admit it’s not my real name but it’s inspired by women in the media who have and continue to inspire me!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
08:57 Jun 04, 2024

That's okay. I used to go by a pseudonym too. Hahaha ! Funnily enough, it also meant "star" (Stella) !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jravei W
10:44 Jun 03, 2024

Such a beautiful story, that is easy to connect to, and has left my heart filled with hope and love.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:48 Jun 03, 2024

Thank you so much ! I'm happy you felt the love and hope in the story. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
15:13 Jun 02, 2024

Started reading this a couple of days back and the purple stood out so much I ended up changing my story completely as I was originally going on a purple theme too, haha, mauve wrapped gift, Lilac Time perfume and all! Anyhow... a good piece, Alexis. The juxtaposition of the purple bruises against the purple your MC loved was hard-hitting, and her insecurities after her abusive relationship rang true. Good, positive end.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:44 Jun 02, 2024

Hahahahaha ! Oops ! Sorry about that, Carol ! But yes, it had to be purple because....well, let's just say some stories are difficult to write simply because they hit you harder as a writer because of how visceral the emotions are. I'm happy I was able to convey these emotions and the long process of healing from abuse. Indeed, it's a positive end for Melissa. Brandon is a lovely partner, after all. So happy you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Denney Owen
14:03 Jun 02, 2024

Wow, what a beautifully poignant moment captured in Melissa's story! The way you use colors to reflect her emotions is incredibly powerful. Really moving piece!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:41 Jun 02, 2024

Thank you so much, Denney ! Indeed, sometimes, colours mean a lot. Glad you liked it. Thanks for the read !

Reply

Denney Owen
22:19 Jun 02, 2024

Loved the symbolism and the clever use you gave them, looking forward to reading more from you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
23:49 Jun 01, 2024

Walter was such a horror. Loved the purple--bruises of the body, color of lavender the most soothing of scents, the furniture, solid while strong in color. Brilliant insights into her road to healing and happiness. Can't believe this was a rushed story.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:17 Jun 02, 2024

He truly was. Like I said to Daniel, some bits here, I wish were just fiction..but there's a reason I chose purple, apart from the fact that my favourite colour is amethyst. Indeed, it's a long road to recovery, but Melissa is getting there... especially with a new partner that cares. Glad you liked it, Beverly ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Devon Cano
21:00 Jun 01, 2024

I love this! The contrast between how Walter used to treat her to Brandon's sweet offer at the end was so satisfying, I love that for her. All of the references to purple and purple prose throughout also made it a lot of fun to read.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:21 Jun 02, 2024

Hi, Devon ! Indeed, it's like night and day. I was actually contemplating whether to skip ahead and have Melissa and Brandon marry, but I thought this end would showcase better the fact that she's found real love at last. I'm glad you liked the purple. LOL ! Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:50 Jun 01, 2024

Very clever way of incorporating purple into the main theme of the story. Loved it!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:23 Jun 02, 2024

Heehee ! I'm happy the melding of the elements worked. Thanks for reading. Happy you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danielle LeBlanc
19:06 Jun 01, 2024

I totally loved reading Melissa's story and healing journey. Wow. Great read, Alexis!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:23 Jun 02, 2024

Yay ! Glad you liked it, Danielle ! Melissa is indeed recovering. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:15 Jun 01, 2024

Until the introduction of Walter, I wan't sure who the narcissist was. And she fell for his charms again? A very disturbing tale. Purple prose has a perfect place here.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:31 Jun 01, 2024

Oh no ! I should have made it clear. Brandon is not the narcissist. Walter is. That's the name of the man who made Melissa fall for her charms and then abused her. Brandon is a different man. Hahahaha ! Just to clarify. Anyway, thanks for reading, Kaitlyn !

Reply

04:45 Jun 01, 2024

Just fixed it. I couldn't remember the name so flicked back through to check and my mistake. You didn't confuse me. I confused myself, sorry. Thanks for clarifying.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:59 Jun 01, 2024

No problem ! Actually, I intended for the story to end hopefully with Melissa finding someone who treats her well. Hahahaha ! No worries at all.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
03:21 Jun 01, 2024

"When I am old I will wear purple... and magenta and violet and amethyst and..."

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:45 Jun 01, 2024

So will I ! It's my favourite colour, after all. Hahahaha ! But I will wear other colours too. If it's ludicrously colourful, I will wear it. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
19:59 May 31, 2024

Filled with (literal and figurative) Purple prose, this story resonated because of the emotional depth. A storm, the inner critic voice of Walter, wouldn't let keeping Melissa move on, a wave that kept her thrashing in the 'wine-dark sea'. Brandon came through, a light house in the storm letting her know she was great just as she was- truly purplicious! Thanks!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:27 Jun 01, 2024

Hahahaha ! Well, my style does tend to veer towards purple prose. Then again, I love very descriptive, poetic writing (and speaking in real life! ). Words have the power to paint worlds, so why not take advantage of it ? For me, there's no such thing as overly mellifluous. That's not going to endear me to the meat-and-potatoes writing crowd, but eh. 😂 Sometimes, it's like that, isn't it? Even after a considerable amount of time, remnants of abuse still stay with you. Indeed, Brandon was a beacon to Melissa and gave her the peace she craved....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
19:33 May 31, 2024

Oh. My. Goodness!! Alexis, you have really outdone yourself with this one! This was very raw and emotional and every revelation hit me like a ton of bricks! The abuse that Melissa suffered was painful to read, but I know that it happens a lot in this world. I loved the ending and how Brandon was a light to Melissa! I think he saw her for who she was and not as something he could control. I like the idea of how someone can be saved by a pure light of love and when that is found, a profound peace echoes through their soul! This story w...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:41 Jun 01, 2024

Daniel !! Always look forward to your comments because you're always so encouraging of my writing ! Thank you, first of all. Let's just say... I wish some elements in the story were purely invented by my mind and were completely fictional....but yes, I'm glad the rawness of the emotions came through. It was a tough piece to write (It's part of why I ended up posting this so late), but I'm happy I did it. Brandon is just amazing, isn't he ? A friend of mine once said that the person for you gives you a peace that you've never felt before....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
14:35 May 31, 2024

Alex-Ella! Don't put yourself down. Don't apologize. As always, your story is - what's the word I'm looking for? - oh, yes. Colorful. LOL Maybe not purple prose, but definitely somewhere between magenta and indigo. I hope Brandon turns out to be the right one.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:41 May 31, 2024

Hahahaha ! Thanks, Trudy ! Glad you liked it despite me slapping it together. LOL on the purple prose comment ! As for Brandon, he does seem to be a sweetheart, yes, the type to make Melissa see la vie en...uhm...violet. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:01 May 31, 2024

And lavender and periwinkle and .... LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.