Secrets Beyond The Water

Submitted into Contest #83 in response to: Write a fantasy story about water gods or spirits.... view prompt

6 comments

Fantasy Fiction Kids

Nobody knows what secrets the water holds, but everyone knows when the time is right, the secrets will ripple upon all of us


I stared out to the sea, watching its wave lap one wave over another. As the big waves come I wave back, though I know it's not really waving.

 I have been here all my life, ever since then I knew, something... or someone was watching me. show yourself, It's been long enough, I think trying to communicate with it. The waves come big as I have these thoughts.

I breathe in, deep and long, trying to catch every scent there is. A peculiar smell crawls through my nose. I looked around trying to find where the smell was coming from, but all I saw was empty white sand dunes, and a sea green ocean.

“MARIA”, I hear my mother calling my name. “ MARIA!” she echoes again. “Coming mama,”. I ran to my mother and hugged her tight and strong, mama smiled at me “Come on let's go home, we can come back tomorrow”. I know, I'm not giving up until I find that thing. It's waiting for the right time, it's waiting for me.

I wake up early in the morning and check my clock, 6:00 am it said. Mama should be asleep. I tiptoe softly to my mother’s room. She is still fast asleep, cozy and warm under the sheets. 

I walked downstairs to the kitchen pantry and grabbed 2 little granola bars, and then headed out to the beach.

I stepped out to the beach, but only this time it felt different. My bare feet were vibrating on the warm sand.

It's not the ground silly, it's you, get over your fear and be brave, I have to find the someone… or something, waiting to be found.

I found a shaded spot under a palm tree and sat there, I knew I would have to wait, but I didn't know how long. 

Not too long after, I was lying on the sand… first came

A yawn

then

Fighting to keep my eyes open

And then…

A nap. 

I don't know how long I was asleep, But I woke up to the sound of someone whispering my name. “Maria?”.

I groggily opened my eyes, half expecting to see my mother, but I saw no one else there. I sat up and looked around. I saw other beach houses, trees, the sand and the sea. The sun was now up in the sky, blazing yellow, and the sand was warmer than usual… but wait a minute I looked right next to me and saw a puddle of water, someone must have dropped water. couldn't be the sea, it was farther away from me… but what if it was, I blinked in confusion.

I slowly walked back to our house, which was just about a few steps from where I was. The door creaked open before I got a chance to touch the handle. When I walked inside I found another puddle of water, wow what a coinkydink, another puddle of water! But what I was puzzled about was how the door somehow managed to open by itself.

I peered inside, thinking my mother was pranking me, but I saw nobody. 

I tiptoed upstairs and peered into my mama’s room, she was in her bathroom washing her face. 

“Hi mama!” I say. It startles my mother. She spins around, it took her about 5 seconds to realise it was me, Maria, her only daughter.

“Good morning Maria. Oh! You're already up! Come lets eat!” she says in utter surprise. “Yes mama, actually I’ve been awake for a while, but i’m starving!” I answer.

We walked downstairs, I looked at the spot where the puddle of water was, but it was gone!

 “Umm mama? Did you see a puddle of water here?” I ask my mother.

“what puddle water? I didn’t come downstairs” My mama replied.

We went to the table, and grabbed something to eat. There it was again! A puddle of water. I looked back at the door. Still, there was no water. This is very strange, how is this happening... Better question is why is this happening. 

“ Goodness gracious, where did this water come from?!?” My mother said, eyeing me suspiciously. “No Mama, it wasn't me. I pro-”

All of a sudden I heard something from behind me… The same whisper I heard at the beach. “Maria”.

I swung around and stared blankly at the hallway. 

“ Maria dear, are you ok?” Mama asked with a very perplexed voice.

“Uhh, I thought I just heard someone. But i'm not sure.” I replied, still staring behind me. “Oh! Come on! It's nothing Maria, it's the voice in your head.” My mother said reassuring me.

No, I definitely heard something, and I think I know what it is.

“Mama, can I go out to the beach to get some fresh air please?” I asked 

“Go on Maria. When you are ready to eat some more, come right in” Mama replied.

I walked outside and took a deep breath. As I walked to a tree, I found a floating shape… out of water? 

What the…? What is that

I slowly walked towards the floating water, and stared at it. 

Suddenly it formed into some sort of genie shape before my very eyes. I was absolutely speechless.

“Maria,” it said.

“You are the thing that always whispers my name. You are the puddles of water. But what exactly are you?” I say in shock. I was trembling like a leaf, I was so scared.

“I am the water spirit” he started with kind of an oily voice. It was smooth and easy to understand. I was already in love with the way he talked, but I was still shaken.

“I know you are a special child, Maria. You are so clever, and curious, unlike any other person your age.”

“I am?” I asked in curiosity. I was only 9, and many people were smart too, as far as I'm concerned, but maybe he is right… Just maybe.

“Of course Maria!” he answers “You are special… in a different way too.” he says a little shyly.

“In a different way too? What do you mean?” I ask, I'm scared to know, but I ask anyway. 

“You see, you are the only human that can actually hear us, so that means no other human has ever heard us water spirits before.” 

I was so puzzled. “Does that mean I-” 

“Yes Maria, you are a part of us” said the spirit, interrupting me.

“I'm a water spirit?” I asked, I was so confused, I felt as if my whole world was spinning and I'm standing perfectly still because of gravity.

“Maybe, or it could mean you are part of our community. Like you might be a mermaid, or a daughter of the king of the ocean, ect.” he explained happily.

“Umm ok? But I didn't catch your name” I said, changing the topic.

“Ah yes! My name is Seaweed” he answers.

“Ok, well nice to meet you Seaweed!” I say happily. 

“Nice to meet you too, Maria!” Seaweed answers.

Wait. How does he know my name? Better I don't ask.

I sneak Seaweed into my room. We giggle, laugh, and share jokes. I finally know what it feels like to have a friend!

Except he will be my best friend for decades, or… a lifetime.


March 06, 2021 00:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Irfan Akhtar
12:41 Mar 11, 2021

Its nice story. Well done Zunairah and keep it up.

Reply

Zunairah Irfan
13:01 Mar 11, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nata Irfan
15:08 Mar 06, 2021

What a lovely story❤! Keep up the good work.

Reply

Zunairah Irfan
15:09 Mar 06, 2021

Thank you so much!❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Esther Ojifinni
02:48 Mar 06, 2021

great story. I love how Maria meets seaweed! This is sure to win the prize (I hope)!

Reply

Zunairah Irfan
14:54 Mar 06, 2021

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.