15 comments

Mystery Fiction

‘Matteo Greco vanished into thin air in the international tournament’. Shelly reads this written in large bold letters flashing on the top of the e-paper. In an instant the sleep from her eyes vanishes, the strong tea she had made still untouched.

Renowned magician Matteo Greco known for his famous ‘Give me thorns, I will give you roses’ tricks, vanishes into thin air from his seat from the competitors dais. Incidentally, Leo Favre also known as the Mr. Poof was then performing onstage. Mr. Favre had brought a baby elephant to the show and had explained to the spectators that he had just bought him last weekend after loads of paperwork and would be the essence of his poof magic tricks in the show. He had made the usual sleight of hand and the elephant vanished. A minute later, he was again brought live on-stage but then to everyone’s surprise Mr. Greco vanished at exactly the same instant. The spectators first applauded in excitement, maybe Mr. Poof had planned a sequential show. But when Mr. Favre himself look bewildered and Mr. Greco did not reappear even after a quarter of an hour, howls of dismay and chaos broke out like wildfire. People ran hither and tether scared that they themselves will seize to exist. As many as 158 people were injured in the mayhem. No such event of accidental vanish have been recorded till date in any tournament. It will remain a history. Rumors have it that Matteo Greco who was the strongest rival of Leo Favre had been made away with a master plan.

‘Police will definitely look into the case, but until then we are not allowed to talk about it’ said an agitated judge as he hurried towards his car. Though nothing has been confirmed all evidence points that Leo Favre...

Shelly could read no more. How could anyone accuse Mr. Favre without any solid evidence at hand? It could as well be a conspiracy against Mr. Favre. Shelly took her cup and dumped its contents at the wash basin. What a pleasant way to start your day! Shelly mused to herself. She took her towel from the hanger.

Water dripped from her curl to her chest and made her look like a flower decorated in tear shaped droplets. Shivering, she took some shampoo in her palm. Shelly loved the smell of lavender. It was light and calming, not like some of the fragrances that made you sneeze. She messaged her scalp and breathed in its sweet aroma. Lavender had always been her favorite flower, always. A smile curved on her lips as she reminisced that beautiful sunny day. She was sixteen and jumping up and down, cheering Mr. Favre. He looked like a Greek god with his angular face and curled tendrils that fell on his twinkling eyes. He raised his hand to calm down the crowd and told that they were nearing the end of the show. The crowd protested and a resounding cry of ‘Nooo!’ reverberated.

 Mr. Favre lifted a finger’ I would like to present something to a lady before I go away’. The ladies all giggled a tinge of red on their cheeks.

‘Mm mm... maybe, the lady sitting on the left end of the second row would like to do the honors?’ Shelly floated to the stage, her legs moving of their own accord. She could not believe her luck.

‘Could I know your name ma’am?’ Mr. Favre asked a crooked smile playing along the side of his lips.

What a gentleman, Shelly thought’ I’m Shelly’ she replied in a shaky tone.

‘Shelly ah! What a beautiful name. What is your favorite flower, Shelly?’ he asked in a deep raspy voice making her feel as if her legs had turned to jelly.

‘Lavender’ Shelly replied her voice so faint that she could hardly believe that Mr. Favre had heard her right. But Mr. Favre sat down on one knee and there was suddenly lavender in his hand.

His head bowed, he said’ This is my gift for you, Shelly!’ and the curtains fell on the stage.

**

Mary was playing with her silky hair that shone under the sun to make it look more burgundy than brown. She giggled in a childish manner and went on ‘You seem to be crankier than usual Shelly. I wonder why that is?’

Shelly rolled her eyes ‘Of course, you don’t know, we only just met yesterday!’

They were sitting in the university cafeteria. The usual hustle was mixed with the blabbing of the hot topic of the day ‘Mr. Favre and his many illicit deeds’. One of the boys with thick rimmed glasses near them was telling his friends that Mr. Favre had vanished 24 spectators along with Mr. Greco! Shelly attacked the pastry with her fork as if they were the cause of the scandal.

‘Shelly, just don’t pay much heed to them. Tomorrow if another celebrity fell pregnant they would gossip about it all the same and forget about Mr. Favre.’

‘No I don’t think so. It is too large of a scandal to fade away in a few days. Did you hear what the queen bee of our stats class said? That Mr. Favre vanished all the documents of their palace and named the villa as his instead. No, this case is too dangerous I think, like a fire burning down the entire forest. Mr. Favre’s career will be finished by the time the case closes, even if he is proved innocent. A gem would be lost forever.’

‘Do not fret over this issue, dear. The police are investigating the case thoroughly and Mr. Favre has many international fans like you that would make sure that justice is served. Also, the government of his country will definitely help him; their country’s prestige is at stake! I think that Leo Favre is a strong and influential figure; nothing can go wrong in such circumstances.’ The digital watch on Mary’s wrist blipped at exactly 2:00. They rose to pay their bills.

**                                                                                                                                 

 Favre was pacing around his room, his hair disheveled and some of the tendrils stuck to his forehead. The plan had failed. Matteo Greco was supposed to vanish when the curtains fell on him and Mr. Greco was called on stage as the next competitor. He would by then be seated comfortably on the competitors’ dais. No one would know that Mr. Greco had vanished into thin air. All they would know when the curtains parted is that Matteo Greco was somehow not on stage and there would be no evidence against him at all. But there was no evidence as such even now; after all he was re-materializing his baby elephant when the incident happened, not the other way round. Except... except that, it was only him who knew about the trick of dematerializing objects and beings into thin air. What could he do? He gripped his hair again and let out a howl like an injured animal. Could he re-materialize Mr. Greco after so much time had passed? No, he had not mastered that art yet. The experiment was still under process. There was a tremendous pain in his chest and then quiet suddenly, his hands were tied in shackles and something was constricting him around his neck. He tried to shout for help but only a feeble gurgling sound came out. He was shaking like a leaf and sweating profusely. Maybe, in a minute he would not be able to breathe anymore. Then after a minute and two seconds he would be dead.

Shelly awoke in her bed tangled in sheets. 

August 26, 2021 14:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

15 comments

Keya J.
06:32 Aug 29, 2021

Whoa...the ending was amazing and the starting was just perfect, immediately sucking its readers. I love your style of writing. Great work. Punctuations should be taken care of. Rest is great.

Reply

Fiery Red
10:22 Aug 29, 2021

Thank you for taking time to read and critique. It really means a lot. I am very glad to know that you loved the piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:08 Aug 28, 2021

The ending gave me goosebumps! I love Shelly's character, and the opening bit about the vanishing magician was great. However, if you're doing dialogue, it's best to alternate lines, and I noticed a few places where you missed commas, like "what is your favorite flower Shelly?" should be "what is your favorite flower, Shelly?" Overall, great work!

Reply

Fiery Red
17:44 Aug 28, 2021

Thank you for taking time to read the story and critique.I will try to input your suggestions here. I am really glad that you liked the story. Your feedback is always welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
16:59 Aug 28, 2021

This was a fantastic story! I love a good mystery and this did not disappoint ;) I thought you did a great job writing this and your prose is amazingly beautiful. I was instantly sucked into the narrative and I really enjoyed reading this. Great Job!! :)

Reply

Fiery Red
17:47 Aug 28, 2021

Thank you for your kind words Daniel. I am happy that you were engrossed in the story and found it satisfactory. Your reviews means a lot to me. It inspires me to keep writing:)

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
21:29 Aug 28, 2021

You're welcome :) I look forward to reading more of your wonderful stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jon R. Miller
13:28 Aug 31, 2021

I liked the ending a lot! :> It wasn't what I expected. Yikes! From the beginning the descriptions and Shelly's thoughts and feelings of the character drew me in. Thank you for writing this! Congratulations on a well thought-out and rewarding piece to read.

Reply

Fiery Red
15:42 Aug 31, 2021

Thank you for reading it out. Your appreciation means a lot. I am so happy that you loved it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lins E
14:54 Aug 30, 2021

Great ending! I enjoyed this take on celebrity. I’m curious about what is going on but also wanting to know more about this world. I think this is a great start to a longer piece.

Reply

Fiery Red
17:41 Aug 30, 2021

Thank you for your insight. I was thinking along the same lines! I'm happy that you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
03:46 Aug 30, 2021

Your name is cute as much as the story is cute

Reply

Fiery Red
04:28 Aug 30, 2021

Thanks for reading it out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen `Woods
09:53 Aug 29, 2021

This was an interesting use of a prompt. You certainly did a good job pulling your audience in. Shelly's obviously got some big old feelings for her idol. Though the ending kinda shoves the parasocial nature of that interest right into the forefront. She doesn't seem to have a better understanding of her idol then any other complete stranger, which works well as a throughline. Thanks for Writing!

Reply

Fiery Red
10:33 Aug 29, 2021

Yeah that's what I wanted to bring to light. Audience and reporters do not know the stars personally. So, the reports as well as our interpretation of them may be far from reality. Thanks for taking time to read my story 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.