0 comments

Drama

It was 5:00 a.m. The alarm clock let out the scream, loud enough to wake the entire residents of George street. He freed from the blanket that covered him and shut the alarm. He checked his mobile phone on his nightstand. "It's April 1. The day has come Noah" he said to himself. "It's the day I had waited for so long." He put his jacket on for a walk along the street. It was cold and like every other day Jess joined him.

"Good morning. You seem so happy today" she said.

"Yeah. it's a big day. How about you joining me for breakfast?" He asked.

"Sure! I will be happy to join" she said and the walk continued for an hour.

It was 6 am and Noah reached home. He climbed up to his room and cleansed himself. He pulled open the closet and the vibrant colors of varying suits slapped right in his face. He picked the red suit with white shirt and could no longer wait to see it on him.

"Breakfast at 10.00- Louis Très. P.S Dress up nice (like a d) he sent a message to Jess. Jess on the other side received the message. "Like a D? D as in date?" She couldn't assume anything. Her face portrayed mixed emotions all at the same time.

Jess secretly adorned Noah all the time but she was scared to express her feelings as she thought of ruining their friendship crossed over. She didn't want to have false hope about anything. She dressed in her Louis Blue frock matching her purse. Jess, a blonde, fair skin with freckles over her cheek was a girl everyone dreamed of. Many had eyes on her but she wasn't attracted to anybody except Noah. She couldn't say if she's attracted to him. "It's kind of complicated" in her terms.

Noah reached at 9:55 a.m. he thought about it over and over that was about to happen. Noah and Jess were best friends for as long as they could remember. They went to the same school and spent almost all the time together. When there were other kids at school who used to have a gang of friends, there were these two who believed only in the loyal ones.

Jess joined in for breakfast. She was adorable in her dress which was enough for a jaw drop. She took her seat before him.

"Am I late?" she asked.

"Not at all," he said. "I ordered your regular" "Alright. So what's the matter?" she asked intrigued.

Silence happened between the two of them for a minute. Noah took a deep breath and placed both his elbows on the table. He leaned in and took her hand.

"You're my best friend. You have always been there for me through thick and thin. No one had ever lent me a shoulder like you did and I'm grateful for everything. I wish to be more than just your friend" he said, his eyes sparkling.

Jess was speechless. She was confused if she was day-dreaming. She had always liked him but wasn't sure if that's friendship or more than that. As soon as he uttered those words, the thought of them living happily together in the same home flashed her mind. Reality hit her when the food was delivered at the table.

"I like you Noah. You are my best friend and I didn't expect such a big speech from you all of a sudden."

" That's okay. I understand. Do you mind spending the whole day with me?" he asked. "Yeah I would love to," she said and both started munching on their served breakfast. She had butterflies on her tummy at the thought of his speech given. They quickly finished their breakfast and stepped out of the spot.

"So, where are we heading to?" Jess asked. "Somewhere special" he said and took his car and drove off .

Radio turned on and the car was filled with hip hop music with these two vibing to the song.

"Next song will be my choice" both had a tiny argument and as always the girl wins at the end.

An hour later, the car came to halt. Noah asked her to stay in the car. He stepped out and ran over to the other side and opened the door for her. Is he trying to be romantic? "Why are you acting weird?" she chuckled.

He said nothing but held her arms. Jess looked around her. Lust Green slopes and hills stood before her.

It was so silent that even the tiniest movement of leaves could be heard. The chirping of the birds were so peaceful and relaxing to her mind.

Her mouth involuntary showed all her pearl-like 32 teeth.

"Do you like this place?" Noah asked.

"Are you kidding me? I'm loving it. Where on earth was this place all my life? You have never brought me here" she said.

"It's a special place to go on a special day" he replied.

She blushed, she tried hard to suppress it but she couldn't. She ran all the way down the slope like a little girl. They both rolled over the green grass.

It was 2:00 p.m. He dragged her to the car as she was resilient to leave the place. They rode to the best restaurant nearby and had the most delicious lunch ever.

"This is my best day," Jess exclaimed.

"It had to be," he replied.

On the way back, she chatted nonstop and he had never seen her so happy ever.

It was when deep down his heart he felt guilty. His face saddened.

"Where to next?" she asked.

" I'm tired. Let me go home and freshen up myself" he said, his voice low.

Hours later, he was in his room looking at himself in the mirror. He slapped him hard twice with fierce eyes. "I've made a huge mistake," he said to himself.

He had planned this day months back.Noah was always excited about pranks. They never go out of trend. And it's April 1. The perfect day to execute a prank. He wanted to prank his only friend Jess. But he didn't think of how it hurts her or how it ruins their friendship. Only after seeing her so happy made him realize that he has messed up big time.

He loved seeing her smile that day. He loved everything about her. But should he tell her that this was nothing but a prank? It would surely break her heart. But how long could he hide this from her? He picked this phone and called her.

"I want you to meet me at 6.00 at the park, Jess"

"Oh! Second trip?" she was enthused.

"Please come. Let's talk"

He thought about it over and over as the clock struck six. He dressed up in his casuals and this time she was there before him. Her face brightened in the dawn and she looked like an angel in a human figure.

"I have to talk to you about something," he said.

"What is it, Noah?" she asked.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done this."

"What are you talking about?" Jess seemed to be confused.

"You know how much I enjoy doing pranks. I have been planning this for a while and..." "Planning what?" he sensed the change of tone in her voice.

"Today I wanted to prank you about me having feelings for you so--"

"Wait a minute. So all these that's happened today aren't real?"

Tears started flowing down her cheeks.

"No I am sorry. I never meant to hurt your feelings. But after I saw you being this happy and everything I really wanted to be with you. I planned this thing but it was late for me to understand that I have feelings for you. I'm such a fool to hurt a girl like you. Jess, you're a gem. And I regret my act. Please forgive me" Noah pleaded.

"So is it another prank? she asked.

"Jess, believe me I feel guilty" he took her hand and she refused.

"Did you really think my feelings are just worth of your senseless pranks? This is how you value a girl's feelings? Forget about a girl's. Your best friend's? I was never happy like this before and when I came to know that all my happiness I experienced today wasn't real it's like you stabbed me right in my heart and now you do feel the same about me. Well, I'm sorry. I want someone to value my feelings and not to play with them and thank you. You have ruined our 15 years of friendship in a moment. Hats off. she said and turned away from him wiping her tears.

Noah stood still, heart broken, guilty. He felt like the whole world just crashed before him. But doesn't he deserve it? He's repaying for all that he has done. Pranks are fun unless you break someone's heart.

He witnessed as his happiness drifted away from him, forever.

©Varsha

April 01, 2021 17:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.