8 comments

General

I woke up at 8 am to start my day. I first checked my phone, where a notification had appeared, labeled "Abby Promise." Oh no, I thought to myself. Today was the day, and I'm really starting to regret making that promise to myself. My younger sister knocks on my door.

"Hey, I need a ride to school! Hurry up!" she shouts to me.

"Coming!" I shout back with an equal amount of ferocity. My phone starts to buzz on the bed. I look down at it, and my heart skips a beat. "Abby wants to FaceTime" was what the screen displayed. I answer the call and start to dress to get my sister to school.

"Hey Abby!" I call out to her.

"Hurry up!" my sister yells at me from the other side of the door.

"Oh my god, I'm going as fast as I can!" Abby starts to laugh. My sister barges in my room. She hears Abby laughing.

"Oooooo, is that your girlfriend?" she says in a mocking tone. I throw up my hands in frustration.

"Well, um, I guess-" I start to say.

"We're just friends," Abby says from the other end of the phone.

"Oh yeah, um, just friends," I say with an awkward smile. An unwanted silence consumes all of us.

"Damn," my sister whispers to me as she creeps out the door.

"Don't make me late," she says again. I roll my eyes and grab my phone and put it in my pocket. My wallet comes next, and then my VIP lanyard to Sweet Suits. I duck in my car with my sister and take her to school.


"You have a great day!" I wish her as she's getting out of the car. She smiles and runs up to the school.

"Soooooo," I hear. I jumped and reached for my phone in my pocket, which of course, still had the active call with Abby.

"Oh man, sorry I didn't end it," I tell her.

"No that's alright. What are your plans for the rest of the day?" she asks me.

"Just got a few errands to run and then I'll probably do nothing," I tell her with absolutely no confidence in my voice.

"Well, I'll let you get back to it," Abby says. "You have a fantastic day Caleb!"

"Yeah, you too, see you later," I tell her. She raises her eyebrows in question and I hang up before she can ask any.

"Suit time baby," I mutter to myself. I don't go to this suit place often due to the fact that it's two hours away. I arrive at Sweet Suits around 11:00. I hop out of my car and walk towards the entrance.

Someone opens the door before I get to it.

"Ahhh, I'm glad to see you back here!" the man says.

"Yes, my pleasure," I say as I shake his hand. I walk into the store, a small but expensive place.

"So what are you looking for today?" he asks me.

"Something for a first date?" I ask curiously.

"Yes sir, just over here," he says and walks me over to the Dating section apparently. He leaves me to it, and I start looking around the area.

2 hours later

"You finding everything alright?" he asks me, coming over.

"Actually yes I did. Can we go check out?" I ask him.

"Oh yes we can, that's what I like to hear," he tells me. I follow him to the register and he scans my items.

"And that's going to be $1,687.39," he says. My eyes got a little wide.

"Everything okay?" he says. I smile and nod. I whip out my wallet and start counting out 100 dollar bills. I hand him $1700 dollars in cash.

"Keep the change sir," I tell him. He cashes me out and I start to head out the door, carrying my purchases.

"Wait!" he cries to me. I stop and turn around. He gives me a banquet of flowers to me and another flower to put on my suit.

"Good luck tonight sir," he tells me, his eyes twinkling happily. I take the flowers and tell him to have a great day. I get to my car and carefully lay everything out on my backseat and start to head home. I arrive at home at about 3:30pm. My phone starts to buzz again. I pick it up and answer.

"Where are you?" I hear from the other end. It was my sister.

"You shoulda been here a half-hour ago! But don't worry, mom had to pick me up!" she screams at me. Before I respond, she hangs up. I then take a shower and get ready for this confrontation, as I would call it. I whip my suit on and tie my tie. I slide my dress shoes on. After everything is set, I look in the mirror and smile. The 18k golden lining really made it look gold. I slip my flower into my chest pocket and head out.

I arrive at Abby's house and park in the street. I put on my sunglasses and head up to her front door. I gently knock on her door.

"I'm coming," she says. She opens her door and she's me standing there, all dressed up and holding the flowers I have for her. Her eyes go wide.

"Caleb, what is this?" she says with glee in her voice.

"Hey Abby, do you want to go out with me tonight?" I ask her with my hand extended to hand her the flowers.

"Caleb, I told you we could be friends but-"

"Please Abby, just one time?" I ask her with puppy eyes. Her face goes to a serious expression as she ponders this decision. She smiles at me.

"Okayyy Caleb, we can try it this once, and if it turns into something else, that's alright, right?" she says as she winks. I nod, blushing as she goes up to get ready. She comes down later with a beautiful pink dress. She gratefully takes the flowers and wraps her arm around me. We walk off into the sunset together, a beautiful couple. She looks over, and whispers, "I know about the promise," with a smirk on her face.


April 01, 2020 14:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Amany Sayed
19:30 Apr 05, 2020

I really loved your story! It was an adorable romance.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jubilee Forbess
01:05 Jun 13, 2020

So, I guess you do like romance stories a lot! I think it’s great you’re a Young writer but please take your age off your bio because you never know what creeps could be around. :( that being said, welcome to the club of young Reedsy writers, just keep it on the low down. 🌸

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:04 Jun 15, 2020

Cute story! I loved that their first date was a surprise! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amel Parvez
17:42 Feb 05, 2021

Cute and nice!

Reply

Amel Parvez
08:19 Feb 06, 2021

Na! Anytime:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.