0 comments

Funny Friendship Romance

It's cold outside. Dreadfully cold. That's to be expected in the sleepy town of Wisconsin as December fast approaches. That's why Sam bought his hoodie almost two years ago now. For moments like this.


Unfortunately for Sam, he left the white and puffy Adidas hoodie at the worst possible spot - Avery's house.


The holidays rolling around aren't bringing warm and cozy vibes for the newly minted ex's. In fact, they're experiencing the down side of the season more so, staying inside at alarming rates and feeling the pressures of loneliness.


Sam however, wants to turn a new leaf. He wants to get out of the house and have a good time. So, he said yes to going to the Christmas light show this weekend almost immediately when his friend asked.


But it's too cold for a regular jacket. He needs the furry and warm hoodie previously mentioned. It's his favorite, and a relic of a simpler time.


While sitting at his work desk and contemplating the evening he hopes to have, Sam builds up the courage to simply ask.


"Hey, can I come over later?"


The text was vague, a peculiar for him. He was a detailed guy and wasn't known to beat around the bush. The reason for his blurred lines and unclear texts were simple - Avery really liked that hoodie too. So, if Avery thought he was coming over for just that, she might say no. Especially since they haven't seen each other after the breakup almost a month before. He could see it now.


"So you only want to reach out for your hoodie? Not to ask me how I am or apologize?! Fuck off Sam."


It was easier to keep it plain for now.


But he still had to consider his own feelings. Mustering up the courage to walk back up to that door and throughout that house wasn't going to be easy. He knew he'd feel like a ghost walking through his old life, reminiscing only the good times which would only make it worse.


Still, he needed that hoodie. It was his. Getting it back would be the final nail in the coffin. A chance to move on for good. The frigid air kept him from stress sweating as he approached and knocked.


Avery answered in her pajamas, no bra and hair up. Sam couldn't determine whether it was better or worse that she didn't dress up at all for him to come over. Avery saw it as a chance to show Sam she's not caught up on him (but the no bra touch was a sneaky decision that even Avery tried to avoid questioning).


"Hey," Avery finally said. "How are you?"


"Good. It's cold."


"Oh yes, come in."


Avery let Sam in. Sam noticed a couple things off the bat. No pictures of them together, no semblance of his existence in her life. The apartment was cleaner than usual. Sam didn't know what that meant but the truth is it was very dirty before Avery finally cleaned it the night before out of frustration.


"So. How are you?" Avery asked again.


"You just asked me that."


"Oh. Right. Want something to drink?"


"I'm fine, thanks. How are you?"


"I'm doing alright. Just trying to stay warm."


"You're telling me. Speaking of which - do you have my hoodie?"


It was a pre-mature ask. Sam probably should've worked into it more but his anxiety didn't have the patience.


"What hoodie?" Avery asked back. She was playing dumb.


"My hoodie. It's white with the fur lining. Adidas."


"Oh right."


"So you have it?"


"Is that why you came?"


"Well, it's not the only reason."


"What's the other reason then?"


"I...wanted to see you?"


"You told me you never want to see my face again."


"A spur of the moment type comment-"


"And that you'll never need anything again from me."


"Once again, I wasn't thinking clearly."


Avery knew he would probably ask for the hoodie back eventually. So she was prepared.


"If someone tells me they'll never need anything from me, I take them at their word. So, if you're just here to get something, I suggest to take a hike before things get ugly again."


"That's my hoodie Avery."


"Should've thought about that before you said all those hurtful things."


"I was, fucking, I was dealing with a break up Avery."


"Doesn't give you permission to swear me off."


"It does actually. That's one of the most common moments for swearing someone off."


"Well look where it got you."


Sam starts looking around and rummaging through rooms. If she won't give it up voluntarily, he'll just find it himself.


"What are you doing?" Avery asked.


"Looking for my hoodie."


"You aren't going to find it."


"Why?"


"Because it's not here."


"You sold it?!"


"No, I know where it is. It just isn't here."


"So you prepared for this, you-"


"Sam, so help me God if you call me a bitch again."


"Why the fuck do you hate me?!"


"Me hate you? We broke up because you never wanted to see me."


"Because you, you're, I was not trying to avoid you we just weren't really connecting."


"Well you certainly didn't try."


"I guess I just didn't think it would come to this. I loved you Avery."


"Don't try to butter me up."


"God, you're ruining my life."


Sam sits down and puts his face in his hands, stressed. He may have been an inattentive boyfriend, but he means what he said. Including the part about her ruining his life. Or at least, it feels that way for him, day after day crying into his pillow and wishing he had his backbone to fall back on like he did for the last year and a half.


"That was my favorite hoodie," Sam said sadly.


Avery could tell he meant that. Even if she lost feelings for him, she wasn't soulless. She loved Sam too. But she wanted to use her leverage to her advantage.


"Fine, I'll give you the hoodie back," Avery said. "But you gotta do something for me."


"Okay, anything."


"What are you thinking?"


"You want me to come up with it?"


"Well I just want to see what you have to say," Avery said as she leaned against the kitchen counter with her arms crossed. in a weird way they were comfortable having a conversation again, even if it was hostile.


"I could clear out the snow on your driveway," Sam said hopeful.


"I already have somebody to do that."


"Your cousin doesn't do a good job."


"But it gives him a reason to come see me and I like when family comes over. New thing."


"I could hang Christmas lights."


"Hang? I gotta buy first. Next."


"I don't know. I'm seeing Mason later maybe he has some ideas, but if you want me to do something you're gonna have to come up with it."


Avery's brain visibly lit up when 'Mason' was mentioned.


"Now there's an idea," Avery said.


"What? Asking Mason?"


"Yeah, you could ask something from Mason for me."


"Ask something? like ask him to do something?"


"Yeah."


It only takes a few seconds of silence for Sam to realize-


"Fuck no Avery," Sam said.


"What, why?"


"I'm honestly fucking pissed you'd even ask."


"You know I didn't say anything when we were together."


"but I could see the way you looked at him."


"Well I could see the way you looked at Brittany but you knew better than to say something."


That same lightbulb that hit Avery dawned on Sam.


"Brittany. That's a good person to bring up."


"Oh uh-uh. You don't get two favors."


"I'm not asking my friend to sleep with you without getting to sleep with your friend. Hell no. That's fucked."


"Listen, all I'm asking is that you tell him about me. You don't have to be involved further than that."


"He's not gonna sleep with you, he knows we used to date. There's nothing for me to tell."


"He will if you let him."


"Well I could say the same about Brittany."


"Brittany is not into you okay."


"I see the way she looked at me at the friend's giving."


"Yeah. Like a man about to get broken up with."


"It was mutual!"


They stop battle for a moment, realizing they both get what they want if they compromise.


"Brittany for Mason. Final offer," Sam said.


"I'll say something but I can't make any promises."


"You have to throw in my hoodie too just for offering."


"I didn't agree to that."


"Well I think it's fair. The hoodie erases in my mind the atrocity you just committed."


"Fine."


Avery walks up her stairs and comes back down with the hoodie. Sam grabs it.


"I knew you still had it," Sam said.


"Of course I had it dipshit."


"I can't believe you just asked me that."


"The hoodie Sam. You said-"


"Fine."


Sam throws the hoodie over his shoulder.


"Good luck to you then."


"You too."


Sam leaves and Avery closes the door.


June 20, 2024 23:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.