A New Year's Wish

Submitted into Contest #49 in response to: Write a story that takes place in a waiting room.... view prompt

4 comments

General

I hated this place. It was loud, crowded, and it smelled of death...Well, it smelled more of a combination of cleaning products and antiseptic. Nonetheless, it was a suffocating smell. Like someone was trying to cover up the smell of blood, sweat, tears and vomit by spraying on far too much perfume, but even after layering up on all that artificial scent, you could still smell the things it was trying to cover up. That’s what it smells like in here. In the waiting room of St. Marina’s Hospital.


I glanced up from the book I was reading and scanned the waiting room. Although it was New Year’s Eve, the hospital was packed with people. They were just as unlucky as I was to be spending their holiday stuck in a hospital. I looked down at my dark blue sports watch. I pushed a button on the side and it glowed blue and the time read 10:30 p.m. I smiled at the warm light that radiated from my watch. It lasted 5 seconds before the glow faded and with it, so did my small smile. It had been over 2 hours since my dad left me with my Aunt Evelyn and went to check up on my mom. Immediately after he left, not even an hour passed by before Aunt Evelyn stepped out to “take a call”. It was definitely her boyfriend who must have been pissed that the two of them weren’t spending New Year’s Eve together. I felt kinda bad for them, but then again I never really liked Aunt Evelyn and her latest boyfriend was even worse. 


My butt had gone numb from sitting. I heard my stomach growl for the 100th time and I knew if I didn’t stuff something down my throat in the next 5 minutes, I might just pass out and be moved to the ER. Okay, I was being over dramatic, but I really can’t stand being here for another second. I closed my worn out book and stood up to put the book in my backpack. Then I took a quick look around and headed out of the room. 


There was already a vending machine in the waiting room, but there was a line and I didn’t want to wait. I walked down a hallway. People were jostling up and about.


“Doctors sure have it rough even for a holiday.” I said under my breath as I dogged a guy in a white lab coat running down the hall.

Although it was late in the night, I didn’t feel sleepy. I felt energetic, but emotional wise...I felt really drained. I felt sad and just wandered through the hallways. Up and down staircases, until my legs started to ache. Roaming around in a daze and letting my legs be in control. When I took over though, I realized...I had absolutely no idea where I was... 


I knew I was still inside the hospital, but I didn’t see anyone around. I willed my legs to move forward. It was really quiet and had an eerie feeling to it. It was different from the chaos of the New Year’s rush down below. Some of the hallways were dark or dimly lit. I walked about some more. Popping my head in empty hallways and rooms.


“Hello!” I called down one of the hallways only to hear my voice echo back. Wicked!

Eventually I was tired from all the walking. A bit creeped out too. I’ve watched enough scary movies that a 7 year old can get away with. I wasn’t all that scared of them really...Kind of. Haha. As I continued my exploration of what could possibly be a haunted wing of the hospital, there was a particular hallway that caught my interest. 


For one, it didn’t smell as bad as the rest of the place. In fact, it didn’t smell bad at all. It smelled of something familiar though...I couldn’t figure out though, but I felt calmed and relaxed. It also had a vending machine packed with delights.

“Yes!” I looked into the vending machine and squinted to see what was inside.


The dim lighting didn’t help much, but I could make out a variety of chocolate bars, bags of snacks, and it even had bottled drinks.

“Well this is going to be a challenge.” I said annoyed. There were so many options to choose from and I didn’t know what to pick. Maybe I should choose a chocolate bar and a bottle of water...At this rate my mind was going into a frenzy. Annoyed, I sat down next to the vending machine, which was making it’s buzzing sound, and put my backpack in front of my feet. 


I hated picking from so many options. All of a sudden I realized how utterly alone I was. There was no one on this entire floor which was strange and no one was looking for me. “It’s always been like this Ethan. No one cares about a little orphan boy who's been abandoned by their birth parents.” An abandoned child is never loved. It’s something I know, but still, “I thought they might be different.” I flinched at all the horrible thoughts that were running through my mind. I drew my knees towards me and wrapped my hands around them and buried my head into my lap.


I hated this. Being all alone on New Year’s Eve. They didn’t care. No one did. Not even my parents. They only adopted me because they couldn’t have a baby, but now that they can...I’m going to be thrown away again. All the emotions I held inside started to pour out. Ever since I heard mom was going to have a baby, I’ve been so scared that I was going to be taken back to the orphanage. I did everything to be the perfect and obedient child, but in the end it was useless. “I’m going to be all alone again.” I sobbed and hugged my knees tighter. “I don’t want to...Someone please... Save me…”


Suddenly the temperature dropped. I lifted my head and saw a fog appear out of nowhere. All at once, the lights started to flicker like crazy. “What!?” I cried out. “How dumb can I be?! Hospitals were perfect places where ghosts showed up.” Down the hall I saw the lights go off one by one. Then I heard something tap against the tile floors. It sounded like...footsteps. With each step it was getting closer even though I couldn’t see anything in that distant darkness.


I ripped my gaze away from there and tried to get up, but I couldn’t move a muscle. My legs were numb. I tried to call out for help, but no sound came out.

“Oh my God! Am I going to die at the hands of a monster!?” My thoughts swirled. I buried my head in my lap and clutched my hands to my chest. Maybe he won’t notice me if I stay scrunched up. Maybe I just might have a fighting chance. Maybe...Oh who the hell am I kidding!? I’m going to die! Somebody please save—“Are you okay?” a voice said. 


Oh. My. God. The monster just spoke to me!


“Hey. Is something wrong?”


If I pretend to play dead it might just go away. Don’t you dare look at him Ethan and don’t even breathe a word.


“What is a little kid doing here all alone?”


“I’m not little!” Well there goes my cover. I’m so dead.


“What—”


“Go away you monster!” It was silent for a moment. Did it leave? All of a sudden there was a burst of laughter that came from that voice. Yep. I spoke too soon.


“Haha. I’m not a monster kiddo. I’m a bonafide human. Or at least I think I am.”


“That’s what all monsters say.”


“Really?” I felt a hand on my arm and I flinched.


“Why don’t you check for yourself.” the voice said. He was trying to hold back from laughing. My cheeks flushed. I slowly lifted my head and looked into a pair of blue orbs. All of a sudden he jerked his hand back.


“What...are you doing here?” the figure said in an astonished voice. I gulped. He had blonde hair that went with his blue eyes and wore a white shirt and blue jeans. He also had a white lab coat clutched under his arm. Great. I’m in trouble.


“I—I um...I got lost.” I said in a small voice.


“How are you...how is this possible? I’m not dreaming right?” he mumbled. He turned to his side and looked back at me hesitantly. His eyes swimmed with so much emotion.


“Does he...know me?”


He sighed and ruffled his hair. “Damn.” he sighed and looked at me again. “Sorry about that...but, um, anyway. What are you doing here all alone in the dark?”


“...Like I said I got lost.”


He nodded. “Right. Then, want me to show you the way back to your parents?”


I pulled back and shook my head. I wasn’t ready to go back. Not right now anyway.


“Alright then.” the figure got up and plopped down next to me.


“What?! Why are you sitting here?!” I squeaked out.


“Well if you don’t want to go back downstairs yet, then the least I can do is give you some company and don’t say you don’t want any. Cause I ain’t gonna leave a kid here all alone by himself.”


“...I’m not a kid. I can take care of myself!”


“Sure you can. Just a couple seconds ago, you thought I was a monster.”


“Did not!”


“Did too.” he said playfully.


“No! I was just confused and, and, I’m not scared of anything!” I cried out and punched him in the arm. He smiled and ruffled my hair.


“Haha. It’s alright to be scared of things. Gosh there’s a whole list of things I’m scared of and hate. Like...spiders, dogs, oh and I hate carrots.”


“Me...me too. I don’t like carrots either.” I said in a whisper. I looked up to get a better look at him. He did resemble someone I knew but...who was it?


“Are...are you a doctor?” I asked and he shook his head.


“Nope. I’m 18 and in the last year of highschool, but I’m doing an internship so that’s why I got this with me.” He pointed to the white coat.


“Oh and you’re helping out on New Year’s Eve?”


“What? No today’s—Wait...is it New Year’s Eve today?” I nodded.


“Oh...Then yep. Even interns like us don’t have a holiday.”


“That sucks.”


“It does, doesn’t it? Alright, what about you?”


“Huh?”


“What are you doing here in a hospital on New Year’s Eve?”


“Oh um...my, my mom’s gonna have a baby today. So, that’s why I’m here too.”


“I see...are you not happy that you’re going to have a brother?”

It was like a slap to the face. Was I happy? I should be. I’m gonna be a big brother, but...somewhere deep inside me I was scared.


“I...I don’t know.”


“...Do you want to talk about it? I can lend a ear.” I looked up at him and he smiled down at me with kind, loving eyes.


“It’s the least I can do, for scaring you. Which I’m really sorry for by the way. I didn’t think there’d be someone up here at this time—”


I instinctively gripped the hem of his shirt. “Would you? It’s not...it’s not really that interesting.”


“I think it will be.” He said in a calming voice.


“Okay...um so...I’m adopted.” That’s where I started my story from. I was going to be sent away. I was already abandoned once and the feeling of being abandoned again hurts. After I finished, I could tell I was crying again and he rubbed my face with the back of his shirt sleeve.


“You must have been holding in a lot.” I nodded.


“I’m glad you told me. I know you may not believe me when I say this, but your parents love you a lot. More than you may think. They would never throw you away. I promise you.”


“But—”


“Ethan look at me.” I turned to look at those pair of ocean blue orbs again.


“Trust me. Your parents love you with all their hearts.”


“They don’t hate me.”


“No.”


“I won’t be thrown away.”


“Never.”


“I...I can...still stay in that house.”


“Always.” He said firmly and wrapped his arms around me. “You’ll always be in a loving, caring and understanding family. You, your mom, dad and little brother. Together forever. I promise.” His hug felt warm and the tears continued to flow, but not with sadness anymore.


“Promise?”


“I promise.” The tears fell with hope. 

I don’t know how long we hugged, but I think he cried a bit. I patted his back in hopes of calming him down.


“Um...are you okay?”


“Huh?! Oh. Oh yeah. Sorry.” He said and pulled back quickly. He wiped his face on his sleeve and gave me a sheepish grin. I grinned back. We were both a mess. Suddenly a question dawned on me.


“Wait...how do you know my name?” He blinked back at me.


“Oh...um...well, uh you see… Ah! It’s on your backpack.” He exclaimed. I looked at him dumbfounded and looked down at my backpack and sure enough there was my name, well my first name, stitched onto my backpack. A sister had done the sticking for me back when I was in the orphanage.


“Oh...right.” I said awkwardly. “Wait! You know my name but I don’t know yours.”


He hesitated and then said, “My name’s Aiden Wal—Aiden. Just Aiden.”


“Doctor Aiden.”


“Doctor in training Aiden.” He laughed and flicked my nose.


“Wow. That was a lot to unload and take in it made me hungry. You?”


I shook my head. “No. I’m fin—GROWL.” Oh gosh that was embarrassing. I turned red.


“Pff. Okay well your stomach says otherwise and look there’s a vending machine here.” He said and got up. “My treat.”


“Uh. I have money. It’s okay mister.”


“Aiden.”


“Aiden. Besides you listened to me ranting so I should treat you.”


“Now who’s the older one here?”


“But.”


“Come on kiddo let me treat you. What do you want to get.”


“Oh...okay, um...I don’t really know.”


“There’s a lot to choose from huh? Come here and let me tell you some of my favorites.” He said. I stood up and walked on over to him. After we had secured a bundle of snacks and some drinks we sat back down and chowed down. As we ate, we talked about ourselves. Aiden apparently came from a wealthy family and was the only son. He had an older brother but he apparently passed away a few years back in an accident. The more we talked, the more we had in common. After we had finished eating, he glanced down at his watch which looked old and was blue in color. It kinda looked like mines, but had a crack on the frame. I showed him we had the same watch and he gave me a small smile saying he got it from his brother.


“Do you want to head back to your family now?” It was only a matter of time before I had to go back, but I didn’t think I’d have to face them so soon.


“...They won’t be mad at me that I left the waiting room?”


“No.” he said, shaking his head. “Not at all, but listen. I want you to tell them everything that you told me okay? About all the feelings you’ve bottled up inside.”


“I can’t. It’ll hurt them.”


“No. They’ll be more hurt if you don’t tell them how you feel. They’re going to be understanding. You just have to take the first steps to meet them in the middle.” I do want to tell them everything that’s been eating me up for the past few months. I acted like I was okay, but I really wasn't.


“Okay.”


“Alright.” he said, rubbing my head. We gathered up our stuff and threw away the trash. Then he held my hand and led back down to the chaos. I can’t remember all the turns and paths we took, but somehow we ended up in front of a room. On the door it had my mom’s name. Suddenly I was afraid. It felt as if all the courage I built up was escaping me like the air inside a hot air balloon. My knees were shaking and I gripped Aiden’s hand tighter.


“Ethan.” I turned and saw him crouch down to my height and look me in the eye. “Everything’s going to be just fine. You’ll see. I’m...I’m really glad I got to meet you.”


“Me...me too. Thank you for everything.”


“No.” he said and closed his eyes and put his head against mine, giving me a head bump. “Thank you for being here. Know that you are safe, you are loved, and you are beautiful just the way you are.” I hugged him and he hugged me back. “It’s time.” He got up and opened the door. “Ready?” I nodded my head and walked in and he let go of my hand. “There you are kiddo. Come meet your little brother.” I smiled. “Mom, dad. There’s something I need to tell you guys.” I said and the door closed behind me and in the distance I can hear the countdown for the New Year. 

3...2...1...Happy New Year! A tiny hand gripped my finger and I looked down at a face that had on the brightest smile I’d ever seen “It’s nice to meet Aiden.” I grinned. “I’m your big brother Ethan.” 


July 11, 2020 02:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

E. Jude
08:42 Aug 02, 2020

Loved this story! The ending was superb and unexpected! Your dialogue was great and you chose a good subject/scenario! Good job! I would love it if you could check out my stories too!!! XElsa

Reply

April Summers
20:04 Aug 19, 2020

Thanks for your thoughts & I'd love to give your works a read! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
13:11 Jul 12, 2020

Oh my God. The ending was so unexpected yet, just so perfect! I couldn't have wished for a better ending:) Mind checking out my new story and giving your views on it? Thanks.

Reply

April Summers
13:48 Jul 13, 2020

Thanks so much! N sure, I'll head over and give it a read :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.