3 comments

Drama High School Adventure

My schedule is so busy, that I’m unsure if I’ll be able to make it to my ten-year high school reunion! I get a call from an old buddy that I have kept in touch with over the years and smile, “Hey Jarome! What’s up?” I walk out of the photo shoot, grabbing my jacket, and planner. “Hey Bella! How are you doing beautiful?” I giggle softly, rolling my eyes. “I’m fine, what’s up? It’s been a while.” There is a long pause. “Bella, tell me you're going to the reunion.” I look at my planner, “what day was it again?” I hear him sigh loudly. “Next Saturday, June 1, 2025. Girl, you need to go and show everyone what they missed out on.” I stare at the date, looking at how booked I am. “I’ll do my best, no promises. Hey, let me call you back, I have to get back on set.” Before I let him respond I hang up.

               I go back to the set and throw my stuff down in my chair and start posing for the camera man. I end up losing focus, thinking about all the years of torture I endured in that school. “Why would I want to go back…?” I whisper to myself. I snap out of it quickly when my manager starts yelling at me, “Bella! Pay attention! This is costing us money!” I nod and get back to work.

               The end of the day nears, and I grab my stuff to head out. Exhausted. You would think standing Infront of a camera all day would be easy, but it's not, it’s exhausting. “Bella, the car is pulling around front for you.” My manager says while running up to me. “Oh? Are you not coming with me?” I ask. He shakes his head, “No, the wife called, and I have to pick up my kids. See you in three days?” With that he runs off. “Three days?” I haven’t had a day off in four years, let alone three of them.

               I get in the limo, throw my shoes off, and lean back. “Where are we going to Malady?’ I yawn deeply, letting a few tears slip out. “Just take me home Hughie. I’m too tired to go out gallivanting.” I grab some water from the cooler and scoot closer to him. “Of course, Malady. Anything your heart desires.” He slips a bag through the opening and the smell of orange chicken and chow Mein wafts up my nose. Before I take it from him, I start drooling. “I knew you were going to have a long day, so I thought it would be a nice surprise to pick up your favorite meal.” I opened it. Smiling from ear to ear, “you are the best Hughie… Did you get the shrimp with it?” I ask. He nods while turning around, putting the car in drive. “Of course, couldn’t forget the shrimp!”

               Before I knew it, all the food was gone. Although I work out and have a strict diet, I am a fat kid at heart. That’s the number one reason I don’t want to see everyone again. I was so fat that I had a large desk in every class I had. It wasn’t my fault though; I had a thyroid problem that the doctors didn’t know about. I got so heavy that my heart stopped a year after I graduated. It was the scariest thing in the world. My best friend Jarome was there when it happened and ever since then we’ve kept in contact. I always make time for him whenever I can, but lately my schedule has been so jammed packed that it’s been months!

               We arrive at my apartment building and I start grabbing my belongings. “Thank you, Hughie! Have the night off, alright?” I yell as I get out of the limo, leaving a tip in the console. I get inside, looking for my key, and make my way up to the top floor to the penthouse. “Where is it?” I struggle through my purse and look up at the person who’s standing in my doorway. “Jarome? What are you doing-?” Before he would let me finish, he pulled me close, making me drop everything, and kisses me. I melt in his arms.

               I wake up Friday morning and look around the room not knowing what day it was. I reach over, grabbing my phone, and see all my notifications. 32 missed calls, 45 messages, 16 insta messages, and 130 emails. “Geez!” Did something happen last night?” I grab my phone and go into the bathroom to draw myself a bath. “Whenever he comes over, I always lose track of time.” I mutter. I throw my hair up, get in the hot water, and start looking through all the notifications.

               Most of my missed calls were from my mother and a few from my manager. My messages are all from my manager with information about my schedule changing to go over the photos from the shoot. My insta is just my following, asking me when my new stuff will be released. And all those emails are documents to sign, bills to pay, and my favorite store coupons. “Wasn’t so bad I guess.” I reach over to flip a switch when I hear someone banging on my front door.

               I jump out, grabbing my silk robe, and answer the door. “Hello?” I answer while looking through the peep hole. “Ms. Champagne! I have your mail!” My owner of the building stands there with mountains of boxes around him. I open the door smiling, “Thank you Mr. Turro! I appreciate all your hard work!” He rolls his eyes and starts to head back. “Wait!” I grab my wallet and hand him some money. “Just a little something!” I start bringing everything into my apartment when my phone starts ringing. I answer it while picking what’s left up, “Bella speaking.” Jim, my manager, starts talking a mile a minute. “Whoa! Slow down! What’s going on?” I stop to focus. “Your photos will be released tonight; I need you tomorrow to go over them with me.” I look over at my calendar, realizing what day it was. “Come over now, I am busy tomorrow.” I heard him pause, not used to me telling him no or I can’t do something. “Okay, I’ll be by in an hour or so.” He responds as he hangs up.

               I quickly get dressed and clean up the place. Time seems to fly why someone is coming over and you must get your place looking like someone decent lives in it. I let Jim in, and we sat on the couch, looking over all the photos the editor sent over. “These are magnificent! Vogue is going to LOVE this!” I start bouncing on the couch excited. It’s been my dream to be the cover of Vogue and now it’s coming true! “You really think so?” I try to contain my excitement, but it’s too late. “Yes, I’ll send these over right now and should have an answer by this evening.” I wrap my arms around him, hugging him tight. “YOU ARE THE BEST!” I scream.

               The entire rest of the day I find myself dancing, singing, and giggling to myself. Getting your picture on the cover of Vogue puts you at the top. It’s been my dream since I was a kid. But all that excitement seems to disappear when my phone chirps. I look down, terrified to open the message from Jim. I feel like time has stopped, my hearts tense with my heart in my throat. “This is it.” I open it quickly, hands beginning to shake. The words on the screen stare back at me as tears flood my eyes. I GOT IN! I scream loudly with joy. “Now I’m ready, ready to show everyone who bullied me what they missed out on!”

My high school reunion is finally here. Thankfully it doesn’t start until around noon because I plan on being the most glamorous, I’ve ever been. I put my long sparkly gold dress on that hugs my curves and accentuates my breasts. I grab my most expensive bag and head down to see Hughie. “Good morning Malady! Wow! Don’t you look stunning.” He says as he opens the door for me. “Thank you! I have a busy schedule today, first the hair dress, then makeup, got to get my nails done, and then to my high school for the reunion.” He nods quickly and takes me to get pampered.

As the Limo pulls up to the school, I see everyone is standing outside of the school, talking, hugging, and catching up with each other. They haven’t noticed the Limo yet and I look around to see if Jarome has made it yet or not. Just as I spot him, he’s already running up to me. All eyes follow up and the place gets silent. Hughie opens the door for me and clears his throat, “Announcing Lady Bella Champagne.” A blush crosses my face, he’s never announced my name like that before. He must know how important this is for me.

The crow begins to snicker, probably thinking about the old me, wondering what I look like or have become now. I step out slowly and the sun hits my dress just at the right moment. Sparkles go everywhere, almost blinding me in fact. I step away from Hughie, grabbing Jarome’s hand smiling. “You are really going to shine tonight, beautiful.” I can’t help but be proud of myself. I look at everyone, the guys have the jaws on the ground, while the ladies roll their eyes and look away ashamed.

I am glad I didn’t change my mind. I am glad that I am here at my high school reunion. I am rekindling with people, making new friends I never had, accepting all the apologies, telling my story about everything that has happened, and spending time with Jarome. I don’t think this could get any better. “It seems almost perfect.” I whisper. Jarome looks at me, “what does?” I giggle to myself, not answering him. “I know how it could become perfect. Come on!” He grabs my hand and pulls me up on the stage while grabbing the mic. “Hey everyone! How are we doing tonight?” The crowd yells wildly. “So, we all know I’m a football start which isn’t a big deal. But what is a big deal is Bella!” Everyone whistles loudly, making my blush. “I heard that she’s going to be the new face on the front cover of VOGUE!” The people scream loudly, cheering. This is definitely what fame feels like, I know it! “As we all know we weren’t our best in high school, but moving forward I want the best for myself and for my best friend. So!” Jarome hands me the mic and smiles big. “What do you want me to do with this?” I ask softly, trying not to speak into it. He doesn’t answer me, but he does go into his pocket and pull out a small box. No. He’s not. This can’t be. “Isabella Victoria Champagne, you have been my best friend for 10+ years, we have done everything together.” He lowers his body down to one knee, “I know we never officially started dating but I don’t want to wait anymore, I’m in love with you and I want to know, Will you marry me?” My heart feels like it skipped a beat and the world goes silent.

October 01, 2020 14:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Harlow Jones
02:43 Oct 09, 2020

Hi Jessica, Great story! It was fun to read and easy to imagine. I loved the ending. I'm a sucker for a classic cliffhanger! I just have one more thought. While reading, I wanted a more intense conflict. I wanted the stakes to be higher. Great job again! Keep it up!

Reply

Jessica Young
15:54 Oct 09, 2020

Thank you! I really appreciate your impute! I'll keep that in mind going forward!

Reply

Harlow Jones
16:59 Oct 09, 2020

Of course! Anytime

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.