165 comments

American Coming of Age Teens & Young Adult

Author’s Note: I wrote this story with the fantastic help of my Reedsy friend, Maya Emerson. She will be submitting the same story, in her own style and in Cynthia’s point of view. Please go read it, follow her, up-vote her, and like her stories. She deserves it. Also, there will be three headlines in one part of this story, and I found those on the CNN website. I didn’t make them up. Plus, this is my first story of 2021! Yay! Enjoy! :D


“Wooh! Happy new year to us!” Cynthia hollered. I laughed and clinked our beer glasses together before taking a sip. We continued to sit on the couch and watch the excited-for-2021 people on TV. I broke the calm.

“You know what, we don’t have a New Year’s resolution. We should do one together,” I suggested. Cynthia nodded and her face contorted into the “I’m thinking; do not disturb” look. So, I stayed quiet until Cyn snapped her fingers.

“Got it. Let’s try to be less judgemental of other people. Especially since the people here are so… different. We’ll take different approaches, and compare results. I’ll go out tomorrow and start meeting people. What about you?” She stared at me expectantly.

“I guess I’ll research the people in this town and everywhere else on my computer. See what I’ll find out,” I decided. Cynthia nodded and yawned.

“I’m tired. See you in the morning. Well, later this morning,” she laughed. I gave her a small grin as she walked down the hall and into her bedroom.


---


The next day, Cyn went out to meet people while I sat in the recliner and opened my laptop.

Google… There we go. Now. What should I search first? Probably Northsin, Oklahoma. See what comes up, I thought. And I did just that. Lots of things came up, like the bake sale happening the upcoming Friday, the sale at the flower shop down the road, all of the usual small-town stuff. Nothing interesting. That meant that maybe they weren’t so bad… Maybe. But what if I searched something that applied to the entire U.S….?

So, I searched “recent new in us”. (Yes, I know. I have bad grammar. It was just a Google search, though, so get off my back, man!)

“Proud Boys leader arrested for allegedly burning Black Lives Matter banner at DC Church”.

“A sword taken from a Revolutionary War statue as a prank 40 years ago is finally returned”.

“Los Angeles County ambulance crews are told not to transport patients with little chance of survival.”

Those were the first three headlines that I saw. These people are awful! How could people do that? It disgusted me; I slammed my laptop shut.


---


A week later, Cynthia is standing in the kitchen and I’m sitting at the dining table. Fire burns in both of our eyes, our jaws set.

“You’re so stupid! Why would you choose to research?! The Internet is only going to tell you the bad stuff about our country! You have to talk to people. You have to meet them, idiot,” Cynthia fumed. I shook my head and resisted the urge to jump up from my chair and scream.

“If anyone is an idiot, it’s you. Going out there and meeting all of those weird, crazy people. They’re probably already filling your head with all of their wrong ways! You’re going to be just as bad as them soon enough!” I shouted back. Tears rolled down her face; normally I would stop and comfort her, but not this time.

“Oh, shut up! Looking at that screen all day has made you go whack. You’re not thinking correctly. Go into town with me, just once. Meet people. Please, Aislado. They’re nice and normal in their way.”

“That’s what they want you to think.” And I stormed out of the room.


---


One day later, Cynthia and I are continuing our “experiments”. She always came back home cheerful, especially on Sundays after she went to church with those brainwashers. And Cyn stayed in that good mood as long as she didn’t talk to me.

I became grumpier by the minute. Everything I read about the people of the U.S. was atrocious. The world I was living in was horrible. I got barely any sleep anymore--I stayed up, messaging every organization about the things they were doing wrong. I messaged news networks, magazines, and everywhere else. I told them what was wrong with the world, and how they were making it worse.

This happened day after day. Every morning when we woke up, every night when we went to bed. My days got drabber, Cyn’s were getting brighter.

Until that one day.

Cynthia and I were sitting at the peninsula in our kitchen, crunching on Frosted Flakes. Our Amazon Alexa played country music from the other side of the room. The refrigerator made its usual hum.

“What’s happened?” I murmured. Cynthia peered at me from the corner of her eye.

“If you’re gonna talk when I’m sitting right here, at least talk so I can hear you,” Cyn growled.

What’s happened? What has happened between the two of us? We used to be so close, Cynthia. There was nothing that could separate us before...” I trailed off, unsure of how to continue. Cynthia was silent for a moment, then began her sure-to-be snarky reply.

“That was then, this is now. Now we have two completely different ideas of this world and the only reason we go anywhere near each other is that our parents won’t let us live in different houses. Now, can we go back to not talking? I’m begging you, please let us stop talking,” she snapped. I shook my head and pushed my bowl of cereal away from me.

“No! Even though I see the world differently than you do doesn’t mean that the two of us should hate each other for the rest of our lives! For Pete’s sake, Cyn, you’re still my sister! Twin! Sibling! Whatever! We’re still… together. So, we should set aside our differences and be civilized adults,” I declared. Cynthia looked at me. And she looked. And she looked.

Something clicked.

“Well, if we’re going to be ‘civilized adults’, you better start paying more attention to your grades.”

January 06, 2021 20:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

165 comments

An amazing story Brooke!! :)

Reply

13:36 Jan 09, 2021

Thanks so much, Laila! (I love your name!)

Reply

Aww, thank you! I too love your name!

Reply

15:30 Jan 09, 2021

My pleasure! Aw, thanks!

Reply

Your welcome Brooke!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I really like this story. The world is REALLY terrible these days.

Reply

23:20 Jan 06, 2021

Thanks! I know. It's awful. If you read Maya's part when she comes out with it, you'll be able to read about the good parts. :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey Brooke! I just wanted to thank you so much for liking all my stories!! Means the world to me! :) I wish I could do the same...but I already have, since the first day I joined here. I already knew that you were an amazing person. =)

Reply

21:43 Jan 10, 2021

Hi, Laila! (I love that pen name!) You are welcome! You deserve it! :) OMG Seriously? That makes me so emotional and happy to hear! Thank you so much! :D

Reply

Wow, thank you so much! I actually chose that name for fun, but glad you like it! Yes, I am not kidding! Honestly, the first day I joined, I liked your story first. Seriously, I read your story first on here...so, yeah. 🙃

Reply

21:48 Jan 10, 2021

No problem! Lol WAIT WHAT I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS I AM SO STINKING HAPPY THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU btw, I have always loved reading your stories as well, and just talking to you. You're really nice. Like, EXTREMELY nice.

Reply

Haha, it's really true! I am so glad that I made you HAPPY!!!! :) Aww, really? Thank you so much! You are too!!!!!

Reply

21:56 Jan 10, 2021

*squeals really loud* Yes, really! It's my pleasure--you deserve it! Aw, not really, but thanks!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
13:54 Jan 08, 2021

I love this, Brooke! And I love the collaboration with Maya. It really gives us such a 360 view as to what is unfolding here and such clear and strong writing. Congrats to both of you!

Reply

21:55 Jan 08, 2021

Thank you so much, Kristin! It means a lot to me. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I love the story Brooke! And 🍕

Reply

23:55 Jan 07, 2021

Thanks! Yay thank you again

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

🍕🍕🍕🍕 (Lol...)

Reply

21:48 Jan 10, 2021

Yay! Lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
18:35 Jan 09, 2021

Wow, great story, Brooke! I love how you incorporated real world news and whatnot into the story!

Reply

23:00 Jan 09, 2021

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
14:33 Jan 07, 2021

NEW STORYYYYY

Reply

23:56 Jan 07, 2021

I'LL READ IT ASAHP

Reply

. .
00:00 Jan 08, 2021

YASH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
02:58 Jan 12, 2021

I love the concept here and the execution sealed the deal. It’s a perfect way to look at how media influences people. You two were geniuses to take this prompt and make it your own. I am looking forward to reading the other perspective. I’m curious it if it will be like I think. If you have a moment I’d also love to hear your opinion on my new story “The One”. Be brutally honest. I can take it.

Reply

20:20 Jan 12, 2021

Thank you so much, Thom! From a stunning author like you, this means so insanely much to me. Of course. I don't think there's any reason for me to be "brutally honest". I'm sure it will be magnificent.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hi Brooke! I read Maya's part so I wanted to read yours! WoW, great work on this, It was a very interesting story to read:)

Reply

13:28 Jan 09, 2021

Hi, Varsha! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
21:01 Jan 07, 2021

Heyyy, Brooke! 🍕(I read your bio hehe) We haven't talked in forever. I am so sad that you think Among Us is overrated, but to each his or her own. :): Great story, I don't have much critique because this was awesome. Keep it up, bestie :D -Meg

Reply

23:53 Jan 07, 2021

Hiii, Meg! Lol yay thanks I know... :): Aw, thanks! I will! You should, too :D -Crazy Girl

Reply

Megan Sutherland
02:46 Jan 08, 2021

I miss u!!! How's it been recently? Taken any trips? ;) I have a new story, if you'd have five minutes to check it out.... :D

Reply

21:55 Jan 08, 2021

I miss u 2! We haven't talked in so long... It's been good! Nope, I've been staying close to home and happy with it I always have time! Just not right now... lol I'll read it soon

Reply

Megan Sutherland
22:06 Jan 08, 2021

Thank you!! I was just making a point at the... um. location fact thingy. hehe. if that makes any sense :/

Reply

00:40 Jan 09, 2021

No problem! Yeah, I know what you mean... XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Fav color? Choose oooone

Reply

12:25 Jan 07, 2021

Hm... Light/baby blue What's yours? :)

Reply

Purple! Great! Now I can start my new series! Including youuuuiu

Reply

23:55 Jan 07, 2021

Oh, I like purple a lot, too. But light/baby blue is my all-time favorite. OMG Yay! Thank you! (People have been insanely nice to me lately and I cannot get over it and now I feel like I need to be a way better person and up-vote every single one of you...)

Reply

:D No prob! I have been downvoted lately and need to make ppl feel better to make myself feel better!

Reply

21:56 Jan 08, 2021

I GONNA UPVOTE YOU ASAHP

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
02:26 Jan 15, 2021

Bio check plz

Reply

02:43 Jan 15, 2021

1.) It's awesome, as always. Thanks for putting me as one of your friends, bestie. 2.) Does this mean you're staying?!

Reply

Megan Sutherland
13:02 Jan 15, 2021

shhhhhhhhh

Reply

14:02 Jan 15, 2021

*happy dance that goes on forever* Squeeeeeeeeeee! I won't tell, though. :)

Reply

Megan Sutherland
14:05 Jan 15, 2021

Well i was a little afraid that if I didn't agree you'd show up at my house and attack me hehe

Reply

14:08 Jan 15, 2021

I wouldn't put it past me... XD I'm kidding! :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
23:02 Jan 13, 2021

🍕

Reply

01:37 Jan 15, 2021

Yay! Thanks, Lit! (hehe)

Reply

. .
01:39 Jan 15, 2021

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
16:53 Jan 12, 2021

WOOP WOOP WOOP NEW STORY ALERT

Reply

20:17 Jan 12, 2021

BEEP BEEP BEEP YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Megan Sutherland
21:19 Jan 12, 2021

hehehhheheheheeheheheheh

Reply

23:38 Jan 12, 2021

heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✨Abby ✨
03:43 Jan 11, 2021

🍕

Reply

21:17 Jan 11, 2021

Yay! Thanks, Abby! I like your name, and the pizza to go with it.

Reply

✨Abby ✨
21:28 Jan 11, 2021

thank you!

Reply

22:38 Jan 11, 2021

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Can I based my part on yours?

Reply

21:44 Jan 10, 2021

What do you mean?

Reply

Like you write it first, then i follow.

Reply

21:17 Jan 11, 2021

Sure, if I finish it first. I'm almost finished with my rough draft now.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 0 replies
Megan Sutherland
04:09 Jan 09, 2021

Hey, Brooke!! Maya Emerson and Luke (Litlover) did one of those stories where you have your Reedsy friends as characters, and I am going to do one too. Where I'm going with this is: would you mind being in it? If yes, could you answer these questions about your character? Favorite Color: Power: Hair and Eye Color: Pet/Spirit Animal: Weakness: Thank you, bestie!! and if no, that's completely fine toooooooo -Meg

Reply

13:28 Jan 09, 2021

Hi, Meg! I saw those! I want to do one, too, at some point. I would LOVE to be in your story! It already means the world to me that you just ASKED. Favorite color: Baby blue Power: Water (I'm able to control any type of water) Hair and eye color: brown hair with blue tips and gray eyes Pet/spirit animal: My pet is a dog and my spirit animal is an otter. Weakness: Books, the chance to write, and chocolate My pleasure, but thank YOU! I'm so excited *happy dance* -Crazy Girl

Reply

Megan Sutherland
14:21 Jan 09, 2021

Yes ofccccccc

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Brooke, can you tell me your character’s: Hair: Eyes; Clothes they wear all the time: Personality: Fav color:

Reply

21:54 Jan 08, 2021

Sure! Hair: Brown with green tips Eyes: Gray Clothes they wear all the time: A sweater paired with jeans and boots Personality: caring, a bit of a know-it-all (she is actually smart, though), and has a sweet soul Fav color: Baby blue

Reply

00:36 Jan 09, 2021

My pleasure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.