1 comment

Fantasy Fiction Friendship

Sultan’s Wedding

It rained very heavily early that morning, but not wanting to give up our usual Saturday trekking up Gasing Hill, we persisted. The earthy smell after the rains and the constant twittering of birds flitting between the trees and the sound of the gushing frothy water from the river down below was invigorating. Raindrops on the leaves glistened whenever the sun’s rays penetrated through. Shoba and I were alone surrounded by lush tropical rain forest.

However, our harmony with nature was shattered when a group of young boisterous hikers appeared from nowhere and overtook us. The narrow slippery uphill trek soon proved too daunting for me and halfway up, I was exhausted. I told Shoba to go ahead and she reluctantly agreed. I sat on a small boulder absorbed in the verdant greenery around me. I took a deep breath. It was so tranquil and peaceful, away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

The gruff cackling call of a hornbill echoing through the trees jolted me. The respondent was high above the canopy. I read about its mating call and craned my neck to catch a glimpse of this protected species.  

“Psst! Psst!” came a voice from below.

I kept my eyes peeled, but could see no one.

“Psst! Psst!” said the same voice again. I looked around. Still nothing.

“Psst! Over here.”

The sound came from a colourful bird perched on a cluster of bananas. I recognised the black-napped oriole with its distinguished pink bill and brilliant yellow and black plume from a previous encounter, except now it was communicating.

“Well, what are you gawking at? Can’t you see I need assistance?”

Dazed, I blinked and rubbed my eyes. The request was repeated, I got off the boulder and approached the oriole expecting it to fly off. It did not. Instead, it repeated its strange request. I stared at it dumbfounded.

“Magnus Oriole. That’s my name.”

“I’m..”

“Your name is of no significance. I need you to help me deliver these bananas for Sultan’s wedding party. Hurry!”

“I do not have any tools to cut the cluster,” I said.

“Lame! Lame! Shame! Shame! Pluck the ripe ones and carry them in your backpack. Do we need to teach you, humans, everything?”

“I think it will be too heavy, “I said.

“Sultan will be enraged if you do not do as I ask. You will face the consequences. Don’t tell me I did not warn you.”

“What consequences?”

Just then I felt a pebble hit my head, then another and another. I looked up and saw an army of monkeys all armed with pebbles ready for a bigger onslaught. I hastily stuffed the ripe bananas into my backpack and made my way down as instructed. I reached three divergent paths. I opted for the centre one but Mr Oriole screeched and flapped his wings.

“Wrong path?”

“Yes. We do not want uninvited guests. Just follow my lead, “he said and perched on my shoulder to show me the way.

A family of wild boars led by Papa, Mama and five piglets swaggered along the path, snorting and laughing. Braided mango leaves intertwined with white wild orchids hung around their plump torsos.

“Give way! give way!” said Mr Oriole and they stepped aside immediately.

“Where are they going?”

“Where else? To the wedding, of course. They are the choir for the Sultan’s wedding.”

“They can sing?”

“Of course. Don’t underestimate us, jungle creatures. We know how to have fun at weddings too. In fact, we have a long tradition of song and dance.”

Large water droplets from the canopy above landed on my arms. I shuddered, missed a step and reached for a low branch to break my fall.

 “Excussssss me,” said a soft velvety voice. I froze for I was staring right into the eyes of a hooded cobra. It was wearing a wreathe of leaves on its head. “Good day, “ it said and slithered away.

“That was Slippery Senorita,“ said Mr Oriole. Nothing to worry about. She will not display her fangs today. No animal will hurt you today. It is Sultan’s wedding day and everyone is a guest. They will abide by the Code of the Jungle.”

A dray of squirrels, wearing tiny red Ixora garlands around their necks scurried down the path, furry tails trailing behind, I was amazed by their camaraderie for they were known to be solitary creatures. Some field mice carrying nuts and berries on pieces of banana leaves rushed past us. When Mr Oriole tried to stop them, they squeaked profanities that would put a sailor to shame!

Soon, we arrived at a jungle clearing. The overcast of the morning was replaced by brilliant sunshine. A small elevated platform made of twigs and branches was erected in the lower canopy. Variegated leaves formed a tiny dais against the backdrop of a bamboo grove. Streamers made of wildflowers and ferns swayed gently with the breeze.

Mr Sun Bear, the master of ceremony wore a coat made of reeds and dried leaves. He directed all the animals to take their respective places.

When Mr Oriole flew off to make some last-minute arrangements, I was left standing next to the Tapir family. They looked resplendent in their two-tone coats all cleaned and brushed for the occasion.

“I have never spoken to a human before,” said Madam Tapir. I smiled and told her I had never spoken to animals before either. She chuckled and introduced me to a congress of Orang Utan. They took turns to clasp my hands tightly and hugged and welcomed me. A clan of badgers standing nearby were shy to speak at first but soon warmed up.

When Mr Sun Bear gave the cue, the wild boar choir started to strut and grunt in unison accompanied by the melodious sound from a group of oriental magpie robins perched on the lower tree branches of the canopy. Soon other species of singing birds joined in. Twitters, whistles and chirps reverberated and resonated in harmony. I was spellbound.

“Look, over there, “said Madam Tapir. I followed her gaze and saw a pair of exotic Sultan tit birds with sharply upswept yellow crest, jet-black upper plumage which contrasted against bright yellow belly taking centre stage. The female with its distinct greenish-black upperparts held a bouquet of Baby’s Breath. The couple flew close together in circles and landed gently on the specially prepared dais.

 Vows were exchanged and after Mr Sun Bear solemnised their union, all the guests raised a cone-shaped leaf full of nectar to toast the newly-weds. A prickle of hedgehogs performed a jig, shaking their squills that were pierced with bright yellow daisy petals. The guests cheered them on.

The bridal couple swerved from a liana to liana specially decorated with ferns and berries. After the first dance, a flock of geese flew in V-shaped formation and dropped coloured rose petals onto the guests. All the animals cheered.

Refreshments were served. Wild berries, ripe papayas, mangoes and figs were placed on huge leaf platters together with platters of nuts, seeds, insects and worms. There was a free flow of honey. I munched on some fruits and nuts and soon it was time to say goodbye.  

I congratulated the newly-weds and thanked all the animals present before departing. I felt truly blessed to have been able to communicate with animals and witness a jungle wedding. Accompanied by Mr Oriole, I made my way to the boulder to await Shoba’s return.

“I’m sorry I took so long. It was quite a climb today.”

“It’s ok. I had a wonderful time. I attended Sultan’s wedding.

“What? I think the heat has gotten into you,” said Shoba.

March 26, 2021 14:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Nina Chyll
21:03 Mar 29, 2021

The premise, for children, would be exhilarating. As an adult, I found the parade of different animals repetitive, but I think a younger audience wouldn't be able to get enough of it! I noticed some mistakes here and there, and it could be of benefit to simplify the language at times. For example, right at the start, there is a paragraph about the surroundings with a very long, drawn out sentence only reaching its conclusions at the very end.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.