Sumptuous Apples

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write about two characters going apple picking.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Fantasy

Idunn smiled, humming a tune as she picked her apples. Being in nature always made her happy after a row with Bragi. He had stormed off, just because she had asked him to clear the kitchen table of all his scrolls. It wasn’t so unreasonable, was it? She tore the next apple off the tree a little more violently than she meant to, almost snapping the leaves.

She wished things could be different. But they never would be. She tried to concentrate, taking deep breaths in and out. She stared at the tree, taking in its leaves and trunk and bark that was as lined with worry as she was. The tree was even more beautiful than ever. Autumn had come, making the tree as golden as the sun. The green coat Summer had worn was long gone, replaced by a shimmering robe of scarlet, crimson, vermillion, saffron, blood orange, amber and yellow. Her garden always looked so beautiful in autumn. The ripe berries glimmered on the bushes of the trees nearby, like bright jewels; ruby redcurrants, sapphire blueberries, obsidian blackberries, amethyst blackcurrants. Even the flowers she had planted shimmered in beauty, the orange dahlias in the border as bright as fire opals. But the greatest treasures of all were her apples, as green as emeralds. The gods had many treasures, made by those horrible dwarves who cared nothing for nature. But she knew her apples was the most precious treasure of them all.

She placed the apples in her eski, the box filling to the brim. It was a good harvest this year. The gods would be pleased. There would be plenty for everyone.

She was so engrossed in her task that she didn’t hear Loki approach, his footsteps as quiet as the moon. Suddenly, he was there, leaning against a tree and beaming, his bright hair as red as flames, those eyes as blue as ice.

“Idunn!” Loki cried. She turned to greet him, He hugged her. It was a little strange. But then Loki was always strange. “It is good to see you!” he exclaimed, releasing her from the embrace. He was smiling. It looked genuine, for once, love and warmth in his eyes. You could never tell with Loki. But Idunn didn’t think he was all bad, like he pretended to be. Sometimes, when they were alone, away from the gods and their cunning games, he could be sweeter than the ripest strawberries.

“You are looking as beautiful as ever, lovely Idunn” he continued, flashing her a smile. Idunn blushed. Loki had always been a charmer. “Is that a new outfit? It looks good on you.” She looked down, at the bright red checked blouse she had chosen today, with the green trousers patterned with leaves. It was a new outfit, not that Bragi had noticed. He had been absorbed in his poetry, as usual, not even bothering to look at her. He had grunted when she tried to make conversation, shovelling porridge into his mouth and spilling it all over the kitchen table. Not that there was much room there now, with his piles of parchment and scrolls of verse spilling across the tablecloth and into her coffee. He hadn’t even wished her a “happy birthday”, shuffling off to his writing shed and locking the door. She had heard the music blasting from the shed soon after, loud and horrible.

She blushed more fiercely, turning as red as the berries nearby. Bragi never said words like that to her. Not since they were married. Perhaps it had been arranged by Odin. Perhaps he didn’t like her. But he could at least try.

“Why yes” she replied, with a smile. “Thank you.”

“It is a pity Bragi does not see it. But I do, beauty of my heart” he whispered, his breath hot on her ear. She blushed even more. She glanced around. But Bragi couldn’t see them here. Not from this section of the garden. Loki had helped her build a tall wall of bushy roses a few years back, when they had first started doing this. They were so tall you couldn’t see anything over the top. They were just thorns and vines now. But in summer they would be wonderful, a sea of yellow and red and pink, their sweet perfume wafting across the garden.

He scooped her long black braid of hair from her neck, and placed a necklace around it. She felt it drop down her body, dangling on a soft cord.

“Happy birthday” he said softly, stealing a kiss on her nape. She blinked, surprised he had remembered. She reached for the charm. It was a small pendant, embossed with Yggdrasil, its branches twisting and roots winding in the small circle of metal. It was lovely.

“Thank you.” She kissed him on the cheek, stretching on tiptoes, wishing the sons of frost giants weren’t so tall. He took out a basket, and began to pick the apples at the top of the tree, the ones she could never reach. She always said she could just use a ladder. But Loki always insisted. She didn’t mind. It was nice having him around to help. Bragi never bothered to do anything. She couldn’t remember the last time he had even cleaned the house, never mind picked apples with her. He had always been the same, stubborn and lazy, ever since they got married. Her mother said to wait it out, that he would change. But so many years had passed now. She wished it could be different. A sigh escaped from her lips, hissing like dragon breath as it sailed on the air.

“When we are done here, I have a surprise for you.” Loki said, breaking the silence. She startled, brought out of her thoughts.

“Really?” she asked, surprised.

“Yes.” He answered with a grin. Those ice blue eyes twinkled, a mischievous glint in his eye. “Another present.” He continued, reaching to grab another apple. “I think you will love it.”

“What about the Asgard delivery?” she asked, looking towards her box.  

“We will get your present first. On the way.” He answered.

“I’ve found this lovely little place, to the east of here. Its this park, full of all wonderful things. It’s got these large fountains and a sea of bright colourful flowers you like. They’ve got a load of lovely trees, saplings from all over the nine realms. There’s even a coffee shop there.” Idunn smiled. Loki was so kind, so sweet. It sounded like he had remembered all her favourite things. She wished Bragi could be more like that.

 “Sounds wonderful. I can’t wait to see it.” She said excitedly. She began to pick the apples faster, excited. Loki laughed, his tenor voice as soft and rich as caramel.

They chatted, as they worked, about this and that. Idunn laughed, for the first time in weeks, as Loki told a story of mischief and giants. Together, they collected the rest of the apples, until the fruits filled the boxes. Loki helped her store the two baskets in her little fruit house nearby, neatly stacking them next to the pears and rhubarb she had harvested yesterday. Only her box remained, but that was to be taken to Asgard. She adjusted the fabric strap, hanging the large rectangular box on her shoulder.

When they were done, Loki took her hand and led her into the forest. The leaves crunched under their feet, as they strolled through oaks and elms and pines. The sea of golden leaves spread out across the forest floor like a carpet, crinkling and crunching like snow in winter. They followed a path, as it wound its way through the trees like a humungous snake. The strong west wind roared, almost bowling her over if it wasn’t for Loki’s firm grip on her hand. She shivered as the cold wind bit in her cheeks, strong and fierce after so many months of imprisonment. The jacket around her was warm, but she still shivered. She wished she had a scarf.  With a flick of his fingers, Loki conjured one, as if he had read her thoughts. Tenderly, he placed it around her neck and they continued on their way.

 With Loki, nothing else seemed to matter for a while. She forgot about Bragi, losing herself in his stories of magic and adventure, of eagles and giants. For a while, she could forget about her loveless marriage and the cold silence between them as vast as an ocean.

Soon, she could smell the scent of fresh coffee. Its pungent aroma wafted on the air, through the trees. It was the proper stuff, not the horrible sludge that Bragi always bought because it was cheaper. The path grew wider, as it led forward past clumps of bright mushrooms as red as blood. A thick wall of hedges blocked the way, ivy curling around a small wooden door decorated with runes as black as Odin’s ravens. Loki pushed it open, letting her go first.

She marvelled in wonder. a wide stony path slithered out from her feet, leading her forward. A sea of bright green bushes lined the path, dotted by small white flowers. She bent down to smell some, revelling in their fragrant smell. Loki reached for one, placing it gently in her hair. She smiled, the sweet gesture making her heart flutter. He tugged her hand, leading her forward with a grin. She couldn’t stop staring, gazing in wonder at the tall trees. They turned a corner, as Loki told her to close her eyes. She gasped as she saw a statue of herself, hidden in a grove of fruit trees; pears, plums, cherries, pomegranate, lemon, oranges. They were all ripe and plump, ready for harvesting.  

At the foot of the statue was a sea of grass, dotted with small bright yellow and blue crocuses that were simple but beautiful with their smiling petals. Next to it, was a tall apple tree, with bright red fruit as red as blood.  She paused, reaching to pick a couple from its branches. She loved apples. But she never had any for herself. The apples in her garden were sacred, and she was only allowed to eat one a year, as was the rule. Loki clicked his fingers, and a basket appeared on his arm. He plucked one from a bough, the branch bending as he reached for it.

“Close your eyes.” He said. She tensed as she heard a knife slide from its sheath, the sound echoing. Loki placed a slice of apple on her tongue. She bit down, eating it. Loki was right. It was good. Juicy. Sumptuous. Delicious. She opened her eyes, lusting with ecstasy. She wanted more. She hungered for more. She never knew apples could taste that good. Loki stood nearby, still holding the rest of the apple. It had a slice carved out of it, like the moon on autumn nights before Samhain.

“Well?” he asked. “What do you think?”.

“Its delicious!.” She exclaimed, excitedly. "They're the best I've ever had!"

“You can have the rest of the apple.” He said, offering it to her. She reached for it, climbing on tiptoes. He waved it out of reach.

“For something in return.” He added, coming closer towards her, with a twinkle in his eye that whispered of mischief. Idunn tensed. She knew deals with Loki were always twisted.  

“A kiss.” He continued softly. She breathed a sigh of relief. She knew she could always trust Loki. Even if everyone else said otherwise.

She hesitated. Should she? She was married to Bragi, wasn’t she? She knew he didn’t love her. He never had, and he never would. She had realised that twenty years ago. She knew the marriage vows were sacred. But what was one kiss? She looked around. But there was no one else there. She glanced around for Odin’s ravens, but they were nowhere in sight. What harm could one kiss do? She really wanted to try the rest of the apple. She wanted its rich sweet taste on her tongue again, and it was the only way to get it.

 She nodded. He leant forward, and kissed her. She gasped. It was a kiss like no other, soft and sensual and sweet. He broke the kiss off, moving away from her as Idunn’s head whirled and spun. It was as if her world had been lit aflame, a dull grey world finally turned into a bright sea of crimson. As Loki handed her the apple, she had to tell herself to remember to breathe. Shaking, she exhaled in and out, trying to come back to the present as she dreamt of hopes beyond her reach. She wanted more. She needed more. She didn’t care about Bragi. To be loved like that, with so much passion, it was more precious to her than even her apples.

Loki sliced the apple into chunks as thick as moon crescents, pressing one into his mouth. She leaned forward, pulling him towards her. She kissed him, forgetting the world as she bit upon the apple. He moaned and tugged her closer. With the apple chunk eaten, he caressed her cheek, whispering sweet words into her ear as they slid to the ground, drowning in ecstasy. In the hidden grove, they became one, robes slipping off like water falling from leaves. The apples fell from the tree, landing in the basket nearby. The thuds barely made a noise, under the sound of their passion.

When they were done, they robed and collected the apples.

“So where is this coffee shop?” Idunn said with a smile. He took her hand, and they left the hidden grove behind. Together, they walked through the park, as if nothing had happened. It was their secret, hidden amongst the trees.

October 16, 2020 23:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.