0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

Note: This story contains mild scenes of a sexual nature. It could be rated PG-13



Rick Pascal © 2022                                                     About 2800 words

38-35 Brookside Avenue

Fair Lawn, NJ 07410

201-791-9526

201-208-7191 (cell)

rickpas@optonline.net





Phoebe’s World


Phoebe coaxed the grungy white stray, offering him a discarded scrap of salmon that she retrieved from the garbage can in the alley behind Alvin’s fish market. “Here kitty, kitty…come to momma, you sweet little pussy cat.”

To say that Phoebe loved cats was an understatement; she adored them. Her life revolved around them. Every room in her home was cluttered with cat paraphernalia: cat posters, cat figurines, cat toys, cat food and of course, litter boxes. The malodorous aroma of cat urine from those litter boxes was pervasive. But Phoebe was indifferent to the stench because it made her feel closer to her pets – sixteen cats who shared her otherwise solitary existence.

The stray approached cautiously lured by the scent of fish and the promise of a meal. Phoebe remained motionless as the cat sniffed, then licked the offering before grabbing it in its mouth and dropping it to the ground, proceeding to devour the delicacy. The stray hissed initially, then purred as Phoebe stroked its head and neck tenderly. Finished with its meal, it rubbed Phoebe’s leg, its purr humming like a finely tuned car engine. She didn’t mind the cat’s fur clinging to the legs of her baggy sweat pants, the ones that she wore every day. She even relished the addition to her outfit. “That’s a nice motor you have there, kitty,” she said as she knelt and raised the cat to her bosom, allowing the cat to shed more fur onto her sweatshirt. She placed her hand gently between the cat’s hind legs and smiled, as she fondled his gender. “You’re a boy; how nice. How would you like to come home with me?”

Caressing the stray lovingly, Phoebe walked home and introduced her latest addition to the family of felines who occupied the sofa, chairs, coffee table, dining room table and most other surfaces in the house. “Hello everyone, I’d like you all to meet … ‘Nomad’. Yes, that’s what I’ll name you, ‘Nomad’.” Eisha, the Persian cat, hissed at him, then scurried beneath the sofa. The other cats remained indifferent to Nomad as he returned Eisha’s hiss. He then jumped onto the sofa making himself comfortable alongside Calico Jane, who relocated herself on the adjacent cushion before settling into her own tranquil position.

Phoebe went upstairs to the bathroom and grabbed the washcloth that hung from the towel rack in the bathtub. She dampened it with warm water and returned to the living room to sit on the sofa next to Nomad. “You look like you could use a cleaning,” she said. “Let’s start with a nice warm, moist rub.” The newest acquisition to the family embraced the warm bath he was being given and purred again as Phoebe slowly and gently stroked his body with the washcloth. As soon as she finished her loving service, Nomad turned his head and began to lick himself. “Here now,” Phoebe continued, “let me give you a complete welcome.” She placed Nomad onto her lap, bent down and began to lick his head, ears and back with her tongue. Nomad closed his eyes, lowered his head and purred loudly.

Phoebe continued to lick Nomad while Boots and Willy, two of her favorites, jumped onto the sofa and watched longingly. “Do you both want some loving also?” Phoebe said, caressing them. Boots and Willy rubbed against Phoebe, their purring engines in full throttle. “Okay,” she said to Nomad, placing him gently at the end of the sofa. “You can rest for a while.” She lifted Boots to her face and touched her nose to his, while he purred. Repeating the same ceremony with Willy, she placed them both on her lap, bent down and licked them, alternating her attention from one to the other. Boots and Willy purred in harmony. Phoebe could almost feel herself purring along with them. I love my cat family so much, Phoebe thought, could I be any closer to them than this?

Having completed her display of affection, Phoebe collected the cat hair from her mouth and twirled it into a ball with her fingers. She placed it back into her mouth, chewing and rolling it around with her tongue as if it were a piece of gum. Then she swallowed it. This is one of the things I love about grooming my cats, she thought.

Phoebe went to the kitchen cabinet and removed a plastic bag containing catnip. Hearing the sound of the cabinet door opening, several cats strut into the kitchen anticipating being fed. Instead, Phoebe returned to the living room and, under the watchful and curious eyes of her cat family, removed her sweatpants, sweatshirt and underwear. She then lay on the floor and sprinkled catnip all over her body. Enticed by the fragrance, the cats flocked to her side, many of them rolling on top of her naked torso intoxicated by the aroma. Phoebe was enthralled by the softness of fur against her skin and the multitude of purring murmurs. After rolling around and playing with the catnip, which often gave them a high, several nestled alongside Phoebe on the floor and slept. Eager not to disturb them and almost exhausted from her own adrenaline rush, she also fell asleep.

****

Phoebe awoke hungry. My goodness, it’s five o’clock already. She brushed off the remaining traces of catnip from her body, donned her sweat outfit and went to the kitchen to prepare dinner for herself and the cats. She filled the cat dishes which were scattered about the kitchen and dining room floors with food and water, then prepared her own dinner: a can of tuna fish, a piece of dry toast and a cup of coffee. She placed her dishes on top of the other dirty ones in the sink and returned to the living room, where she sank onto the sofa and turned on the television to watch her favorite program about wildlife veterinarians. During a commercial break, she warmed a glass of milk, her favorite evening beverage, and returned just in time to watch the vet deliver a baby calf. Aww, isn’t that sweet, she thought.

The hours drifted by, as they did every evening, with Phoebe on the sofa surrounded by several members of her cat family, this time with Nomad occupying the premier spot on her lap. Glancing at the clock on the wall above the television set she remarked, Will you look at that…ten o’clock already. Phoebe yawned, as did many of her feline family, stretched her arms over her head and decided to turn in for the evening.

She undressed, placed her sweats on the chair opposite her bed, and went into the bathroom. She brushed her teeth, moistened her washcloth with warm water and bathed herself while standing in front of the sink. That should do it, she thought. She put on an old nightgown and got under the covers. As usual, Boots, Willy, Eisha and several other cats joined her. Boots and Eisha always slept by her side; Willy always slept on the adjoining pillow. Others slept at her feet, many on the floor alongside the bed. But this night was different. Nomad took Willy’s place on the pillow next to Phoebe. “Welcome to my boudoir, Nomad,” she murmured, stroking his head and caressing his back. “Time to go to sleep.”

Phoebe awoke and stared at the clock on her nightstand. Three am. She had been awakened suddenly by a warm and pleasant sensation that ran from her shoulder to the backs of her thighs. It was different from anything she had experienced before. She rolled over slowly and came face to face with a handsome young man lying naked beside her. “Hello Phoebe,” he said. He touched his nose to hers and planted a kiss on her forehead.

Startled, but remaining motionless, she stared at his stunning features. I must be dreaming, she thought immediately. “Who are you and how did you get into my bed? And why are you naked?”

The man inched closer so that Phoebe could feel his manhood brushing against her stomach. He lifted his arm and placed it around her, moving even closer. She quivered with delight as his body was now in full contact with hers. “You named me ‘Nomad,’ remember? You brought me home, bathed me and then allowed me to lay on the pillow right next to you.” Phoebe continued to stare at him in disbelief. “Let me ask you something,” the man continued. “You have a large family of brothers and sisters here in the house, but you seem lonely, am I right?”

Phoebe began to relax, mystified, but nevertheless comfortable with the stranger’s presence. “I don’t feel as lonely as I did earlier, now that you’re here. But how did this happen?”

Nomad gazed into Phoebe’s eyes. “You wanted me here so badly that your wish was granted.” He placed his hand lovingly on the side of her face. “Take off your nightgown.” Phoebe obeyed Nomad’s demand without hesitating. He then placed his mouth on hers and kissed her passionately. He parted her legs and entered her slowly and gently. She was overcome with ecstasy as waves of pleasure unfurled throughout her body. Their intimacy fulfilled, they rested in each other’s arms and fell asleep.

Phoebe awoke later than she did most mornings. My goodness, she thought, peering at her alarm clock, it’s already past nine. I have to feed the cats. As she turned to see if her new lover was still asleep, she was shocked to see Nomad, the cat, lying on the pillow instead. Nomad became startled and jumped onto the floor. Then he immediately jumped onto the foot of the bed and approached Phoebe, nuzzling up to her shoulder, purring exceptionally loud. Confused about what she thought was a dream, she tossed off the covers and was surprised to see that she was naked. She looked over the side of the bed and saw her nightgown lying crumpled on the floor. Was that a dream or am I losing my mind?

Phoebe spent most of the day drifting through her routine in a fog. She spilled cat food on the carpet, bumped into chairs, even knocked over a lamp – which she caught, fortunately, before it crashed to the floor. I’ve got to get a hold of myself, she thought. I’ve been alone too long. I guess there is a difference between being alone and being lonely. She decided to go for a walk and get some fresh air. Maybe that will clear my head.

The sun was setting as Phoebe returned home. She hadn’t realized that she had been out for more than two hours. The cats complained about her absence, meowing profusely upon her return. They rubbed against her, begging to be fed. All but one, that is. Where is Nomad? she wondered. Her head having cleared, she proceeded to fill their bowls with food and water, and watched as all sixteen cats scurried to their respective feeding spots. Where could Nomad be? All of a sudden, she heard a loud ‘meeeooow’ coming from upstairs. Phoebe darted up the steps, following the sound that appeared to be coming from her bedroom. Her bedroom door was ajar. As she opened it further, she saw Nomad sitting on her bed, lying on her pillow licking his paws. He looked up as Phoebe entered the room. “What are you doing here?”

“Meow,” he responded sitting up.

Phoebe sat on the edge of her bed. She reached toward the cat, beckoning. Nomad advanced slowly and climbed onto her lap, settling in quietly and purring loudly. He raised his head and stared into her eyes. Phoebe returned his gaze; she could have sworn that he was smiling.

When she went to bed that evening, she could not help thinking about the previous night. She put on her nightgown and tied the lace ribbon at the collar into a bow. Several cats joined at the foot of the bed. Boots and Eisha snuggled at her side while Willy occupied the adjoining pillow. As she reached toward the nightstand to turn off the lamp, she heard a growl behind her. Nomad had chased Willy off the pillow and settled onto it himself. “Nomad,” Phoebe scolded, “that wasn’t nice, scaring Willy like that.” Nomad stared back at her with a look of satisfaction. “Meeoww!” He closed his eyes and laid his head on his paws. Phoebe turned off the lamp, pulled the covers up to her chin and wished all her cats a heartfelt, “Good night, everyone.”

At three am, Phoebe was awakened by a series of gentle kisses on her neck and ears. She turned and was face to face with the same handsome man again. He stopped kissing long enough to untie the bow at the top of her nightgown. “Take it off,” he demanded. Without hesitating, she said, “I’d like you to remove it.”

Phoebe and Nomad kissed and hugged, felt each other’s bodies, and indulged in the kind of foreplay that lovers do. The thrill and ecstasy of love-making raged throughout her body to an even greater extent than the night before. “Oh, don’t let this stop,” she moaned. Within moments, Nomad was ready and eager to satisfy her again, and again after that. “Enough,” Phoebe pleaded. He kissed her from head to toe, and proceeded to pleasure her once more, exhausting her before rolling onto his back and going to sleep.

When Phoebe awoke at ten o’clock, the exhaustion she experienced during the night’s escapade was replaced by exhilaration. No one had ever loved her the way Nomad had. Or at all, for that matter. The agony of loneliness was beginning to fade. She turned toward the other side of the bed hoping to see Nomad, but instead found only Willy sitting on the pillow. Eisha and Boots were at her side, Calico Jane sat at the foot of the bed and several others were relaxing on the floor. There was no sign of Nomad.

She washed, dressed and went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for herself and the cats. “Nomad, come get your breakfast,” she called in her sexiest voice. but there was no response. She walked from room to room, each time calling his name, but Nomad did not appear. She continued to search the entire house with no results. Returning to the kitchen, she noticed that the back door was ajar. “Oh no, oh no,” she screamed, “Oh my God, no.” She opened the door and ran out to the yard. “Nomad,” she hollered again. “Nomad, where are you?” She ran into the street to look for him. She looked in her neighbors’ yards. She searched underneath parked cars. But there was no response. Nomad had disappeared.

Phoebe returned home, sadder than she had ever been. Not only had one of her beloved cats left her, but it was the one who had given her a new and different kind of love. He was her lover who made her feel special, desired, and no longer alone. Despite the fact that there were sixteen other cats in the house with her, she suddenly felt more alone than before. Worse, she felt the pangs of loneliness haunting her again. She lay on the sofa in the living room and wept. Exhausted, she fell into a deep sleep.

****

“Phoebe, we’re home,” Julia announced as she walked through the front door. “Where are you, sweetie?” Ryan followed her into the house carrying a bundle in his arms. “Look Jules, she’s asleep on the sofa, dreaming away without a care.”

“Do you ever wonder what cats dream about,” Julia asked.

“Probably something simple, like playing with a toy or chasing a mouse, I suppose. Nothing too deep, I would imagine.”

 Phoebe awoke, her ears perking up as she heard her master’s voice. She hopped off the sofa and trotted to the entrance foyer to greet her owners, purring and rubbing against Ryan’s leg. “Look what we have for you, my sweet pussy cat,” Julia said.

Ryan placed the bundle, a handsome snow-white cat, on the living room floor. “Look here, Phoebe, we brought someone to keep you company. We don’t want you to be alone in the house whenever we’re out.”

The two cats stared at each other without moving. Julia went into the kitchen and placed some cat food into the new double dish and brought it out to the living room where the two cats were still studying each other. Phoebe approached the dish and began to eat, followed by the new cat who ate alongside her. Julia watched Phoebe and her new companion as they ate side by side.

 “She’s wanted a friend for some time now, don’t you think?”

“Yes, I do. Let’s leave them alone for a while and give them a chance to get to know each other.”

“Looks like they’re already getting along,” Julia remarked. “I don’t think Phoebe will be lonely anymore.”

February 25, 2023 00:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.