24 comments

Suspense Fiction Speculative

Every muscle was taut and the sweat that had formed four hours before dripped, like melting icicles. Her shirt soaked through, the sheets soaked through, she began to shake. Knees knocked together, teeth chattered, her heart pulsed in her ears, a hundred horses running on a cobblestone street thundered past her eardrums. Lungs that had been panting moments before gave way to gasps as her heart wretched in her chest. Panic covered her like a cold pillow pushed against her face, she fought for breath under it as her mind reached up. Her thoughts, like a thousand hands stretching for heaven, beseeching angels with fingertips, screeched to God with her very skin. Not him, Not Him, Not HIM!


At her ankles Eva was holding her baby. Eva’s face was red. The infant’s face was blue.


An iron bell hung in an ancient church that heard prayers of people for hundreds of years, tolled twice. Somebody somewhere was baking bread and the smell of yeast twisted with the scent of coal had pulled itself up through the floorboards of the rooming house. Shouts from across the street were heard through tall, arched windows, opened an hour before for the laboring mother as she sweat, as she burned from the inside. Raindrops were tapping against the glass now, like a blue bird pecking for beetles, insistent, hungry, relentless.


Eva was rubbing the back of little boy blue vigorously, her mouth was moving yet no sound pendulated. Silent prayers chattered through thin lips clicked like rosery beads. Heaven held its breath and watch the midwife work. Thin fingers, a pinky twisted with arthritis worked quickly over the still infant. The contrast of aged skin working on new skin would have been striking if one had time to notice. There was no time to notice. Gentle thumps, and flicks on the soles of tiny feet had grown in pressure and in urgency. Lips a moment ago moving in prayer were now pushing quick short breaths into tiny lungs that refused to cry. Terror was staring at her from the other end of the bed, blue irises pleading. Terror that had moaned deeply in labor now arched its back and screamed heaven ward, “Not this one! You took all the others! Please! GOD! One! That’s all I ask, for this one!” She shrieked madly, writhing against God. Thin slices of hair had escaped the braid that lay on side of her head, whisps stuck to her forehead, to her cheeks, glued to skin in fatigue. Six pillows behind her back pressed against the bed to raise her up fell short of heaven. Spittle spewed from her mouth. She screamed her supplications in one moment, they settled into quiet sobs, and pleas and begging’s seconds later. The groan of a grieving heart quivered atop thin strings of the violin and then pulled across in a long, aching, moan. The room trembled in anticipation.


Eternity sets itself in seconds. Eva silently praying heard the wails. She closed her eyes on what was before her, the mother in anguish, trembling under wet clothing, blood dripping down her thighs toward her ankles then falling, scarlet drops crying onto the floor. The limp infant, still blue under Eva’s fingertips, his own eyes covered with lids that had yet to open. Eva drew air deep into her own lungs and held it there while panic, scratching her steel demeanor, gasped under it.


 Voices that walked the cobble stones that morning had left their complaints on the streets and moved indoors to fill themselves with coffee and bread and slices of cheese. Dry from the rain and oblivious to eternity hanging from a thread above their very heads, they lit cigarettes, inhaled, laughed. Someone heard a distant moan, another heard a scream, nobody felt the floorboards tremble.


The wind tugged at the window; its sound opened Eva’s eyes. Curtains with scalloped edges fluttered. A flurry of air leapt off the wind and pulled itself into the room. She felt a breeze on the back of her neck and the fine hair on her forearms stood, she shivered, exhaled, and arose as if commanded by God. Bring him to the window, an obscure and peculiar thought tapped along her spine. The room quivered invisibly. Heaven, holding its breath, waited to see if Eva would respond, when she rose carrying the lifeless infant to the window it exhaled, she lifted the baby and held his face toward the minstrel. The world sighed. And then, it was as if an angel leaned in and kissed the infant awake. The lifeless boy gasped as if stung by a bee and then screamed with the pain of it. Eyelids the shade of purple lifted and fluttered and eyes, unseeing just seconds before rolled forward and stared into Eva’s own. She smiled. One single tear pulled from the corner of her eye furled downward landing on the baby’s forehead, she lifted her thumb to it and pressed it in. Sealed in a single tear. Eva walked to the bed and placed the crying infant on his mother’s chest.


From grief to elation in a single second pulled gratitude from her soul. Joy rose slowly. A rising sun after a winter storm; new and bright and clean and good. She leaned forward and breathed in her son and the seconds of discovery glittered on her spirit, her heart leapt into her throat. She kissed his forehead; she placed her index finger into his wee hand and he hung on as if he knew he’d almost missed the chance. He cried, she laughed and raised her head heavenward whispering, "thank you, thank you, thank you."


Eva left the work that still needed to be done, undone for the moment, and watched the new mother before her rejoice in the life of her son. Tears fell freely now, and she allowed it. Thanksgiving has a way of seeping out when words just cannot be found.


“Well,” Eva sniffled watching the two, her wrinkled hands pulling a fresh blanket over them, “what will you be naming your son?”


“Ah…” she was tracing his skin like a feather from his head to his cheek with her the tip of her finger. His crying had stopped, and his little body trembled under her hand, his lower lip shivered, and big eyes absorbed new surroundings unblinking. He mewed like a kitten and then yawned. She could feel his breaths, short, quick, and strong against her own. She sighed contentedly and whispered, “Alois says if it is a boy, then his name shall be Adolf.”


Klar, I agree,” Eva said, “that is a good strong name for a good strong boy Frau Hitler.”


June 02, 2024 16:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Jeremy Stevens
11:57 Jun 10, 2024

Oh what a wonderful twist. Imagine how changed history would be had the midwife not been as adept. Great juxtaposition with the commoners going about their day, and nice figurative devices. Bravo, Glenda!

Reply

Glenda Toews
12:37 Jun 10, 2024

... It does cause one to ponder not only this situation if the midwife hadn't done her job, but the babies who didn't make it, would they have been good human beings or bad human beings? So much to ponder😬..a history that never existed... Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read it and to comment Jeremy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
20:43 Jun 08, 2024

That ending really took me by surprise, unsettled me. That’s what great stories do though, they get you thinking.

Reply

Glenda Toews
20:48 Jun 08, 2024

Thanks for reading it...and yes the ending really can push your thoughts all over the place!😳

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
14:38 Jun 03, 2024

Glenda !!! You created a very beautiful, very poignant tale...with a twist that made my face contort. OH MY GOODNESS ! Masterful work ! The descriptions and imagery here are amazing ! Great work !

Reply

Glenda Toews
15:10 Jun 03, 2024

Doesn't it though!.. It creates so many thoughts in so many ways doesn't it! Thank you for always popping in and reading my work Alexis I always appreciate how you word your appreciation of writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:41 Jun 02, 2024

For a bit I thought of Henry VIII wife, Anne, who had a stillborn boy, I think. Unexpected twist.

Reply

Glenda Toews
19:35 Jun 02, 2024

I guess I could probably write another one with Anne couldn't I but that would have to have a different twist wouldn't it...😬 Thank you for always taking the time to stop in and read one of my stories Mary I appreciate that.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:25 Jun 02, 2024

It was very good with the subject you picked.

Reply

Glenda Toews
20:38 Jun 02, 2024

💞 thank you Mary, your words are always super kind!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jai Bristow
18:15 Jun 14, 2024

I loved the power in your descriptions. The imagery was built perfectly, as well as the cacophony of sensations. I like the ending as well, mostly because it reminds us that we all start out in similar circumstances, regardless of the life lived from that moment on.

Reply

Glenda Toews
01:51 Jun 15, 2024

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment Jai, I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sharon Walker
17:48 Jun 14, 2024

I love this Glenda. Just the right level of description and anguish. And I didn't see the twist coming.

Reply

Glenda Toews
01:51 Jun 15, 2024

Yaaa, I'm getting all twisty like you Sharon!😬 Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brian Haddad
07:27 Jun 13, 2024

The imagery and sensory details come like rain in this one, broad and all-encompassing. I love the sense of scale and breadth. Well done. :)

Reply

Glenda Toews
13:39 Jun 13, 2024

Thanks for taking the time to read it Brian, and also for commenting, I appreciate that, truly!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
23:46 Jun 12, 2024

Oh my! Roald Dahl did a version of this very story, or at least it was on Tales of the Unexpected but that doesn't take away from yours and I didn't see the twist coming at all. I felt the emotion throughout rooting for the child to survive and was impressed by many of the lines. Eternity sets itself in seconds stood out - and with added poignancy now. The paragraph that followed with the voices walking the cobblestones also impressive.

Reply

Glenda Toews
23:56 Jun 12, 2024

As I was writing it I knew for sure there is no way I was the first person with the idea ... Rooting for a baby to live I think it's a natural inclination for human beings... It's what that life does afterwards that makes one stop to ponder, thank you so very much for reading the story and taking the time to comment I truly appreciate that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:17 Jun 12, 2024

Boom, what a mic drop of an ending. well more like a jaw drop. Brilliant! Didnt see it coming/

Reply

Glenda Toews
12:54 Jun 12, 2024

I loved that ending too! Thanks for reading the story and taking the time to comment Derrick, I truly appreciate it. :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
20:33 Jun 08, 2024

Very strong story. Master work.

Reply

Glenda Toews
20:36 Jun 08, 2024

Thanks for taking the time to read it Darvico AND for taking the time to comment! I absolutely appreciate that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
17:06 Jun 02, 2024

Wow! That was a twist! Didn't see it coming. It reminds us that all life starts innocently enough with a mother who loves us. What happens afterward are a series of circumstances and choices.

Reply

Glenda Toews
17:33 Jun 02, 2024

I loved the ending too, even my husband fist bumped it :D It's also interesting to me that we humans will eat and drink and complain and gossip, obliviace to anguish above our own heads. Thanks for taking the time to read it Detective :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.