0 comments

Science Fiction Thriller Fiction

The Thought Before

 Now I was skateboarding down the street when to my left on the road traffic was getting sticky. People were getting out of their cars and so many horns were honking. I looked up at the warm summer sky to see that the clouds seemed a bit pixelated. I shrugged. My eyesight had been getting worse so I thought it was just my eyes. 

There was now a highway in front of me. It was long and hot in the summer heat. It seemed to appear out of nowhere but that didn’t matter. The bag was getting heavier and heavier with each push. I skated forwards on the sidewalk and the sidewalk disappeared as soon as I touched it. . Now I was skating on the road. 

Then the bus came. I heard the honk as the highway shrunk and I couldn't move. My feet were melting into the cement as the truck slammed into me.

I awoke with a jolt. The dream felt so, so real. I walked down my stairs to see my mom cooking breakfast.

“How'd you sleep honey?”

“Good mom, I had this really weird dream though.”

“About what?”

“I got hit by a truck.”

“Oh. well it's just a dream honey. I made pancakes. Want some?”

“Yes please!” I ran to the table as she threw me a plate of pancakes. The whipped cream was in the shape of a smiley face. I scarfed them down so fast that when I blinked again there was another one in front of me. I was starving.

It was Saturday so no school and my friends had invited me to go skate with them. After breakfast I showered and got dressed. Every Saturday me and my friends would hang out and go get lunch at this vegan restaurant. They had burgers and fries and milkshakes that were the best burgers made from plants. None of us minded vegan food because we all were vegan anyways.

When I walked out the door my mom hugged me really tightly. She would just tell me to be safe and kiss my cheek but she hugged me like i'd never see her again.

“Ok mom, I love you but no need to hug me for an hour.” She chuckled and kissed me on the cheek and told me to be safe. I threw down my board and skated to the park where me and my friends would always go. Albert, Coltan, and Joey were all waiting on me, as usual.

“Late again?”

“Aren't I always? Sorry I can't help saying this but I had this weird dream last night. It was so real, like it was going to happen in the future. Like a premonition.

“I have those all the time dude. Dont worry about it.”

“But I feel like I know it's gonna happen.”

“Whatever Fitz.” Joey said as we rode through the town. We made it to The Vegetable Seed and got our food. Albert ordered a Big Zac while I ordered the texas burger. It was soooo freaking good. With the BBQ sauce and the onion rings, it was a connoisseur of burger dreams.

When we were done we skated down to the skatepark and did tricks and taught some littler kids how to do tricks. We always did. After that We headed back home. But when I knocked on the door I smelt something weird. It was a metallic smell that I knew of right away. O started jerking on the door handle and it didn't open. I busted into the house to see a blob of goo sitting on the ground, covered in blood.

The sunlight started melting it and I shut the door. I saw limbs on the floor and I shuddered. I put the blob in a bag and hopped on my board. I skated for the hospital because I knew it was my mom.

I was skateboarding down the street when to my left on the road traffic was getting sticky. People were getting out of their cars and so many horns were honking. I looked up at the warm summer sky to see that the clouds seemed a bit pixelated. I shrugged. My eyesight had been getting worse so I thought it was just my eyes. 

There was now a highway in front of me. It was long and hot in the summer heat. It seemed to appear out of nowhere but that didn’t matter. The bag was getting heavier and heavier with each push. I skated forwards on the sidewalk and the sidewalk disappeared as soon as I touched it. . Now I was skating on the road. 

Then the bus came. I heard the honk as the highway shrunk and I couldn't move. My feet were melting into the cement as the truck slammed into me.

I drew in a sharp breath and looked around the room. I was in some tech savvy place. I looked at my hands. Much larger than they used to be and more scratched up. I saw a woman in front of me. A huge black afro and a black and white and grey plaid button down. She had a clipboard and she was writing on it. 

“Wh-Who are you?”

“You don’t remember?”

“No….”

“Oh.” Her happy face vanished as she walked over to me. A mirror came down from the ceiling and showed a middle aged man in the reflection. I screamed and backed up.

“I’m only 16!?” I said as I felt the beard on my face.

“You were 16. My name is Alyah, I'm your wife.”

“What?”

“Sierra, come in here!” Alicia said as a little girl ran into the room.

“Daddy!” the little girl said. She ran up to me and hugged me. As she did, a flash of thought went through my mind. It was me getting married to a woman with beautiful dark skin and an afro as big as a disco ball. I shook my head and looked at the woman.

“Alyah?” I said as I jumped up from the bed and hugged her. “Little Sierra! You look so old. Wait a second. How long have I been sleeping?”

“Over three years.” A man said as I saw Albert, my childhood friend, walk towards me. He was covered in tattoos and scars and he had an eyepatch. I gave him a handshake and looked at my arms. I was freaking jacked!

“Hold up. The only memories I have are getting married and having a kid. So what happened in between?”

“Well, we're fighting in a post-apocalyptic world that is covered with aliens and you were the captain of the whole place until you got shot with the newest alien weapon, at least back then, and that's when that happened.” Albert pointed to my head. I felt the side of my head where I felt a metal plate. It was small but noticeable.

“Wh- what happened?”

“They put a chip in your head and controlled you.” Alyah said. “That's why you have the metal plate on your head.” 

“Also, I had to shoot you, sorry.” Albert said as I looked at my leg. A bandage was still covering it after three years.

“You were so badly tested on there that we had to freeze you to make sure you didn't die.”

“At least I'm alive.” 

“True that.”

“One last thing. Did you see any goo before you woke up?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Oh no. Albert take him to Dr. Raz, He’ll know what to do.”

“Got it.” Albert picked me up and ran to this Raz guy. My head was all blurry and I couldn’t see much but I felt this presence with me. It was strange.

We made it to this room where Albert laid me down on this bed. An old man in a wheelchair rolled up to me.

“What's the problem?” He asked Albert

“He’s seen the goo.”

“Oh.” the doctor said and his face frowned like crazy. I Looked at them with a confused look and they looked at me back. Then all of the sudden I couldn’t control myself. I felt this other being within me and I heard it screaming at me.

KILL THEM KILL THEM KILL THEM KILL THEM. I couldn’t resist. As much as I tried nothing happened. I felt myself lose control. I shot up from the bed and slammed Albert into the wall. I grabbed Dr. Raz by the neck and threw him as well. I broke through the facility door and grabbed a gun and started firing. People fought back but they had nothing against my power. 

At the end of an hour I had killed the rest of the human race. Some people fled to where I did not know but I killed everyone in sight. I felt the goo inside me and it emerged for a little bit. I grabbed it with my hand and ripped it out of my head. I shot it and shot it as I cried and cried.

I didn’t know where Aylah or Sierra was but I hoped they were safe. Now that that thing was out of me I had all my regrets. I picked up the body of a friend  and cried over it. Then I heard a familiar voice.

“I’m sorry man, I have to put you down.” It was Albert. He had a gun to me and I turned around as I was balling. I ran away and ran and ran and ran.

Three months passed and I thought the rest of the human race had died. I was running low on food and water and fell over on the ground. I cried because I knew it was the end of me. At least I would see my friends in heaven, If I went there. The human race was dead. 

      Or was it

    The End?

June 15, 2021 20:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.