Roxie's Train Ride

Submitted into Contest #168 in response to: Start your story with someone looking out a train window.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure American Fiction

Roxie's Train Ride

         As Roxie boarded The Scotia at Liverpool, the weather was a cool 50 degrees. She knew that she would miss her home, but she needed to find new challenges. She also knew it would be rough going in the new country of America, but she felt up to the challenge. They dropped anchor in the Hudson River, off Jersey City.

         She found a stenography and typing job in Jersey City. Her apartment rent was $9.50 a month. Even though it was on the fourth floor, she didn't mind because the stairs were good exercise. During her years in New Jersey, she acquired a decent wardrobe. Since she could sew, she made four Day dresses, one cotton wrapper, and two nightgowns.

          She found it hard to get used to the "nor'easters." These legendary cyclonic storms move along the east coast, propelled by hurricane-force winds that can bring massive rain or snow, ocean storm surges, and high winds. After surviving too many blizzards, she decided that It was time to make a change and head for a warmer climate. Despite the many delays and setbacks, the train reached the Alameda Terminal in San Francisco.

         It took 21,000 workers from Irish-American, Civil Wars veterans, freed enslaved people, and Mormon pioneers to Chinese laborers. Economic issues were not the only concern facing railroads: America's Heartland had many angry Native Americans who were unhappy about the White Man's encroachment onto their lands. 

         They routinely destroyed tracks, derailed trains, and disrupted operations whenever possible. It was a severe problem during Union Pacific's construction. The Sioux Nation constantly harassed the railroad crews. The U.S. government provided military support. The violence ended with the Battle at Little Big Horn, where Sioux Nation (led by Crazy Horse). Massacred Colonel George A Custer's Seventh Calvary

         Despite the dangers of the wild west, she had some money set aside. So to avoid another New Jersey winter, she started checking fares.

It would take seven days to reach San Francisco; $136 for the first class in a Pullman sleeping car, $110 for the second class, and $65 for a space on a third- or "emigrant"-class bench. Third-class or "emigrant" passengers had to sit on benches instead of seats and bring food. The comfort of the poorest classes was a great concern as carriages were large and well-ventilated. They also had stoves, Venetian blinds, and sun shades at every window in Summer. 

         As Roxie boarded the train in Jersey City, she looked forward to her trip through the Wild West. She had saved enough to purchase a first-class ticket, allowing her to see all the sites out of a window. She would have a comfortable place to sleep as well as meals. Her destination of, San Francisco, was the worst town of the Wild West.

         Dodge City, Kansas, was her first town of the Wild West, which had its start during the gold rush. It is now a city that plays by its own set of rules. Roxie hoped to see outlaws, gamblers, and gunslingers. Such as Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday, Big Nose Kate, and Clay Allison. She had heard of the burial place, Boot Hill, where the victims of the violence rested. While in Dodge City, Roxie visited the famous Long Branch Saloon. She sat quietly in a corner, enjoying her sarsaparilla.

         The scenery between Dodge City and Denver was beautiful. She saw the wheat fields of the prairies, green forests, and lovely mountains. Her favorite was the great mountains of Denver. She spent hours looking out the window, only to stop to eat. When darkness set in, she enjoyed sleeping in her comfortable bed.

         Another city that Roxie enjoyed was Denver, Colorado. Denver's population consisted of gamblers, prostitutes, and saloonkeepers. Buffalo Bill was the person in whom she was most interested. He was a pony express rider, a scout, and a soldier. He also traveled the world with his Wild West Show. During her short stay, she enjoyed lunch at The Buckhorn Exchange. 

         The other passengers were very friendly, so they played cards and talked. They were all looking forward to arriving at their destination. They all had different plans, and she wished them all well. Roxie was grateful that they did not have any troubles with bandits. There were many train robberies in the wild west. John and Simeon Reno got $10,000.00 and $33 in bank notes. Jesse James and his gang were expecting a $75,000 payday, but instead, they only got $3000. Later they discovered that they had hit the wrong train. Elmer McCurdy was the worst train robber. On their first robbery, they targeted a train carrying $4000. They used explosives and melted the money when they set them off. His second attempt had the same result. His third attempt was his last. They attempted to rob a train carrying $400.000, but again they got the wrong train. Elmer was shot during the endeavor but survived; three days later, he was identified, shot, and killed.

         When they arrived in San Diego, it was a warm sunny afternoon. Roxie accepted a job as a rural teacher. As a rural teacher, she could live with different families during each school term, depending on which rural community needed her the most. Roxie felt she could explore the area and eventually find a permanent home. After her long train trip, she was ready to stay in one place for a while.

          She eventually found the beach and purchased her first bathing dress. These fascinated her as they left everything to the imagination. She was even more fascinated with the "bathing machines," small, fully enclosed room-on-wheels in which women rode to the water-costumed water. The bathing machine was to prevent being seen in swimwear by male bathers.

          Roxie was happy to sit on the beach, take in the sun, and listen to the sound of the waves. Her next step would be a swim in the ocean. She knew her long trip was worth the cost and had been a great adventure.

References

Railroads In The West (the 1870s) - American-Rails.com. https://www.american-rails.com/1870s.html

Railroads In the West (the 1870s) - American-Rails.com. https://www.american-rails.com/1870s.html

October 22, 2022 00:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.