38 comments

Creative Nonfiction

Note: I have retained the historically correct place names, though they have since changed.


I promised myself I would tell this story when I came to America in 1974. And I tried. But then I found out that most people didn’t know Burma was a country in the first place. I couldn’t tell a story about what was happening in a country that didn’t even exist in their mental geography. That’s something people can’t hear.


To be fair, I didn’t hear what I was being told either, even though I was there. Not until a letter travelled halfway round the world to break my heart. Then the story became too painful to tell. But almost fifty years have passed. Burma no longer exists; it’s Myanmar now. And still, lots of people don’t know it’s a country. But that doesn’t change what happened there.


In the winter of 1973, I arrived in Rangoon, Burma where my father was posted, hoping to enjoy Christmas break from an American boarding school in India where I was in my senior year. Besides visiting the temples and pagodas there wasn’t a lot for an American teen to do in the city, so my father had somehow gained for me the privilege of riding the police horses at the racetrack. I had ridden a lot at a stable in Bombay where we had lived before, so I thought I would be able to just saddle up and go. But Burma is different. It turned out I would have to have a ‘guide’ to escort me. 


At the track, I was introduced to a stern-faced old policeman in the soft pre-dawn light. He nodded gravely at me, ignored my outstretched hand, and looked away to the stables. The horses were saddled and ready. We would ride in the early mornings before the Southeast Asian heat soured the day. He followed several lengths behind me, silently. I tried all kinds of conversational ploys to get him to speak. He ignored me totally. 


I asked my mother why he was so reticent. She tried to explain the authoritarian rule and isolationist policies of the self-appointed head of state, U Ne Win. Ne Win had nationalized most industries and businesses, closing his country off to the outside world. Foreigners were restricted to certain areas within the country, supposedly due to the insurgents – the ethnic minorities being systematically oppressed - who we were told would try to kidnap us for ransom. The Burmese locals were discouraged from interacting with us. According to my mother, it was required that all conversations with us be reported to the authorities. Even food consumed in a foreigner’s house needed to be documented. But I was an American citizen; we are raised on extraordinary freedom. I didn’t understand, and so I didn’t hear her.


I was shortly to witness proof of my mother’s claims. I had made friends with the sons of the ambassador’s gardener who were forming a rock band. They came to our house once so that I could teach them “Proud Mary.” I played it on the guitar a few times while they watched me closely. They picked up the words as I went along but didn’t write anything down though I offered them some paper. They even recited the chord progression to each other. They were quick studies. Naturally, we offered them beverages and snacks. These were firmly declined. Music only.


I later met up with them in a little coffee shop. Mentioning that I was applying to college in Colorado earned me swift slicing motions, their hands held just above the tabletop. OK, college was not an interesting topic; I could take a hint. But shortly after that, I cast out a remark about leaving for the states in June and again, I received the rapid hand signals silencing me. The oldest one leaned forward, looking down at the table, and said quietly, “Do not look now, but the man at table behind us, he listens and records everything.”


 “Why?” I infused the question with full-blown incredulity.


He shook his head. “Just do not talk about it.”


I said the tea was good and took a sip, sliding my glance over the rim of my glass to the man at the table next to us. He sat alone with a notepad. My mind almost shorted out at the very idea that the government felt interacting with me was worth monitoring.


My mother later sent me a clipping from the newspaper which reported that U Ne Win himself had stormed a hall the band was playing in and destroyed their equipment. Personally. For the crime of playing foreign music. Their caution hadn’t been far-fetched; it was grounded in real fear. It only looked far-fetched from the outside.


For those who are not under the iron fist, for whom the fear does not exist, the fear seems imaginary, so we don’t believe it. Since I had already witnessed some of this reality, I should have believed my mother when she tried to explain why the stern-faced old policeman remained so aloof.


One morning at the racetrack, while my reticent guide and I trotted in our familiar ritual in the pre-dawn glow, the sun suddenly spilled over the horizon, washing the fading night in crimsons and golds. I began singing one of my favorite songs from the musical, Oliver! “Who will buy this beautiful morning?”


“Nayhtwat,” a voice said. I turned around to that impassive face. Had he just spoken? He jutted his jaw at the horizon. “Nayhtwat.”


The Burmese word for sunrise. I repeated the word aloud. He corrected me. I tried again. There are small differences in intonation and pitch that I cannot hear. We batted the word back and forth, me unsuccessfully trying, he correcting. 


We rode on for a bit when I made a connection. “Ne win, like Ne Win is the sunrise?” I asked, thinking myself politically savvy. To my astonishment, his broad face broke into a grin. He laughed and shook his head. Either I had just butchered the word beyond all recognition or the idea of the dictator of his country being likened to the sunrise was laughable. He thrust his chin in the opposite direction, firing off what I could only assume was the Burmese word for sunset, not sunrise. My grim-faced new friend had made a joke; U Ne Win was the sunset for his country. 


After that, my ‘guide’ was not exactly voluble, but offered occasional remarks. Once, when we rode past a small, whitewashed house, little children peeked and fluttered slim dark hands in greeting. He patted his chest, explaining in English, “My.” I waved back, and they scattered like starlings, shrieking and giggling. Once, I saw a pretty woman hanging laundry from a line. She hid behind the flapping white cloth while we rode by, but I could tell by the proud look on his face that this was his wife.


And then he was gone. 


I was introduced to the police chief’s son who spoke excellent English and was my new ‘escort.’ He was young and pleasant. 


“Where’s my old guide?” I asked. He looked at me, blinked, and looked away.


“Reassigned.” He clipped out the word like it tasted bad. 


We rode the track, chatting much more freely than I had been able to converse with the stern old man. I suspected the new ‘guide’ had been assigned to me because of his English and his connection to a high-ranking police officer. He asked me lots of questions about living in America, but it was a fruitless exercise as I had spent less than half my life in the country of my citizenship. It is possible he was assigned to ply me for information about my father’s work as an American foreign service officer. If he was, he wasn’t very good at it and, like many teens, I hardly knew a thing anyway. Mostly, it was pleasant to have someone to speak to as we circled the track.  


We came upon the whitewashed house. There were no peeking children, no shy wife. “Where have they gone?” I asked.


Shadows passed over the young man’s eyes and he did not answer. I turned back to the house. There was no one there to wave to and yet laundry hung still on the line.


The telltale laundry. It hung there for days, bleaching in the hot sun. Each day I asked where they had gone. Each day my guide answered, “Reassigned.” Finally, I pointed to the laundry. “They were “reassigned” so abruptly they did not take their laundry?” 


The police chief’s son looked out over the empty racetrack and dropped his answer low and fast. “He was sent away to the country to fight the insurgents.” He did not look at me.


“The whole family?” Shutters and shades in his brown eyes were my answer. 


Months after I had returned to the states, I was surprised by a single piece of mail from the young man. It had been smuggled across the border and mailed from neighboring Thailand. He wrote that he had been “reassigned” following my departure, though he didn’t say why. He explained he was “in the country, to fight the insurgents,” but in a more fortuitous “reassignment” than he might have received had he not been the police chief’s son, had he just been, he wrote pointedly, an ordinary policeman. He told me not to write back, for then he wouldn’t be so lucky. In any case, there was no return address on the battered envelope.


I now know what the shutters that closed over his eyes were telling me. “Reassignment” was a euphemism for “sent away,” but it is also a euphemism for “executed.”


I do not know what happened to those giggling children, or to the shy wife, or to my reticent old friend “sent away” so swiftly they did not take down the laundry. If the police chief’s son had been “reassigned” because of his duties to the foreigner, what happened to the stern-faced man who clearly was not supposed to speak to me at all? Surely no one would condemn a man for a few harmless words. So I tell myself, even knowing that not all our words had been harmless. He had made a joke on U Ne Win. Could the old man have repeated that? Even I know that if he had, it would have been an offense punishable by death in the Burma of the 1970s.


Ah, but I was just a kid, a person of no consequence. I am not, after all, important. 


Or am I? Am I a witness for this absent man? Am I his voice? Though he spoke little to me, perhaps it is in his absence that he now speaks. Listen to the voices of the people who are not here among us. If you can’t hear them, then listen to me. 


I have a promise to keep. I have a story to tell.




January 24, 2023 13:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

38 comments

Ken Cartisano
06:56 Nov 01, 2023

Wonderful historical depiction of a foreign dictatorship. Browsing though some of the comments I see that this is a true story. The main character (you?) may have gotten those people killed, but it certainly wasn't your fault. Tyrannical regimes will use any excuse to abuse their power and torment decent people, who may not always be innocent, but they are still decent. This happened because you were an American in a foreign country, and perhaps this could have been avoided had you been firmly and plainly informed by your father. I wouldn...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
20:57 Nov 01, 2023

Much appreciated. Yes, I am the MC. I've been trying my hand at memoir style writing, but it is a very difficult style for me. I come from the time when writing in the first pov was frowned upon. "Never start a sentence with I", the teachers would enthuse. It was a wonderful experience that has left me deeply foreboding about our global turn toward authoritarian leaders. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
21:55 Jan 29, 2023

I imagine that most of the stories for this particular prompt will fall under Fantasy, Science Fiction, or Speculative (which makes sense give this the prompt had "Dystopia" written underneath it), but I think this piece is a great example of a kind of "dystopia" that existed (exists?) in our own world. Basically, what I mean is: The interpretation of the prompt here is spot-on, and it's even more of a gut punch that it's tagged as "Creative Nonfiction." Craft-wise, I really like the storytelling here. It's clean, spare. I find a lot of Cre...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
11:58 Jan 30, 2023

Deeply appreciate the thoughtful analysis here of what was working craft-wise. I agree with your assessment of nonfiction sometimes being a bit daunting to read; I think the exposition necessary to set up a situation can overbalance the actual narrative. I have tried writing memoir form essays before and gotten bogged down that way. I am glad this effort maybe worked to tell a story without excess baggage. And yes, living there was dystopic. I think that's why I like sci fi so much; it's the canary in the coal mine. Cheers

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
14:52 Feb 16, 2023

Utterly chilling! BRAVO, very well written… I particularly liked these 2 sentences - I think they sum your piece up so well: “Their caution hadn’t been far-fetched; it was grounded in real fear. It only looked far-fetched from the outside. For those who are not under the iron fist, for whom the fear does not exist, the fear seems imaginary, so we don’t believe it.“ By the way, did you write from research or personal experience?

Reply

Laurel Hanson
18:31 Feb 16, 2023

First of all, thank-you for reading this rather grim tale and for the response. Secondly, regrettably, this is a true story. Everything. I lived there in 1974 and left after more rioting occurred. My parents got me on one of the last planes out before they closed the borders. It was an experience. I really hope I didn't misrepresent anything out of my own youthful ignorance.

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
16:43 Feb 18, 2023

WOW- What an experience! Whether misrepresented or not, I don’t know, but the story comes over BRILLIANTLY. (From what I do know, I tend to think it’s pretty true to the mark…)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anwesha Mitra
10:08 Jan 31, 2023

So impactful and so wonderfully written!

Reply

Laurel Hanson
12:26 Jan 31, 2023

Thank-you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nathaniel Miller
01:47 Jan 31, 2023

Laurel, this is such a beautifully told story. Really powerful, heartbreaking stuff. You did this story - this story that needs to be told - justice. The story progression is so smooth and logical, and the imagery beautiful and nostalgic. I like how simple this story feels on the surface, but how complex it is underneath. How unnerving it is. Like an iceberg. Anyways, thank you for such a beautiful story. You've done well.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
12:26 Jan 31, 2023

Thank-you so much for reading it and for this kind comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hilary R. Glick
21:44 Jan 30, 2023

We are thankful for your storytelling and witnessing so that we, too, may bear witness and continue to share their stories. Beautifully detailed and captivating.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
12:25 Jan 31, 2023

I deepy appreciate this. Thank-you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
21:09 Jan 30, 2023

Well told Laurel, I'm glad you shared this with us. The second from last paragraph really shows the power of writing; by sharing this with all of us you have passed the voice of that man and his tragic story on, as a symbol for the many oppressed under the regime that you experienced. Thank you

Reply

Laurel Hanson
12:21 Jan 31, 2023

Thank-you so much for this response! It means a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
16:52 Jan 29, 2023

Chilling, horrific, important. And so, so well written. Beautiful, real and tragic. Well done, Laurel.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
18:17 Jan 29, 2023

Thank-you so much! This was my first effort at nonfiction, so I do appreciate the feedback.

Reply

Susan Catucci
19:40 Jan 29, 2023

I thought it was excellent. You can definitely do nonfiction. Don't doubt it for a minute!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
09:41 Jan 29, 2023

Powerful, and well written.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
12:33 Jan 29, 2023

Thank-you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
17:19 Jan 28, 2023

A sense of accountability is something we can't expect of a child, but an older teenager, well- travelled, does have those doubts and niggles as to what part they played, however unwittingly, unknowingly, in what seems innocent and harmless but has repercussions beyond not just their imaginings but their cultural context. You powerfully convey how the narrator struggled to adjust to different lifestyles and different political and cultural assumptions; the horseriding scene showed this well and then it was a good structuring device to return...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
18:48 Jan 28, 2023

Thank-you so much for this commentary and for the feedback! I particularly appreciate your summary of my purpose. Thank-you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
16:08 Jan 28, 2023

A powerful well-written story. The politics of Asia is fascinating. Thanks for writing your story.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
18:45 Jan 28, 2023

I appreciate you reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
15:30 Jan 28, 2023

n 1991, Aung San Suu Kyi was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. The Obama administration lifted sanctions on Myanmar in return for democratic reforms. Unfortunately, in 2021 a military coup during Covid... My biggest takeaway was people not knowing Burma or now Myanmar is a country? That, to me, is the saddest part of the story. Aung San Suu Kyi is a study worth knowing.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
18:53 Jan 28, 2023

Knowing what is going on beyond the perimeters of our own worlds is really important, though I realize it can also be overwhelming. I feel that if we can understand the danger signals, as did Aung San Suu Kyi, then we can recognize them when we find ourselves in the same situation. We may not be able to do anything about what is going on elsewhere, but things are worth knowing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:45 Jan 26, 2023

Powerful and uncomfortable. All the more so, as this appears to be a true story. The sad key is: "Surely no one would condemn a man for a few harmless words." How often that's simply not true. It's hard to believe some of the suffering we inflict on others, and the ludicrous reasons for it. "And then he was gone." A very ominous line. Just as a human connection forms, without explanation or warning, it's gone as though it never happened. And for a whole family to vanish? Horrible. Critique-wise, what I like about this story is how init...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
23:01 Jan 26, 2023

Thank-you. This one was a struggle to write, but I was hoping it might be a good reminder. Not to mention, I needed to fulfill that promise I made to myself.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
12:20 Jan 26, 2023

Oh Laurel, how heartbreaking! The things those people went through, the fear and terror and termination. Soul-destroying on a daily basis. It was a wonderfully-told piece, despite the tragedy. The moment I read "“Reassigned.” He clipped out the word like it tasted bad." my heart absolutely dropped. It sounded so similar to the euphemisms you always hear regimes spouting: changing words/definitions seems to be one of the first indicators that things are liable to get very bad. I sympathized so much with you as a narrator, having been saddl...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
12:41 Jan 26, 2023

Thank-you. Regrettably, it is a true narrative, which is why I felt I needed to write it, given this prompt. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Autumn Dixon
21:31 Jan 25, 2023

Laurel, I didn't know how else to contact you here, so I am commenting on this hoping that you will get it. I am making a sequel basically to the geography watcher! Where Zero has a child and he is now a really bad guy! Well, it has to be posted by tomorrow so I will be working on it all day! Hope you read it and like it.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
21:41 Jan 25, 2023

Good luck with it! I'll check it out.

Reply

Autumn Dixon
23:14 Jan 25, 2023

Alright, thanks! Only have 402 words rn.

Reply

Autumn Dixon
04:09 Jan 26, 2023

I finished!! With 1934 words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Scott Skinner
22:18 Jan 24, 2023

Powerful. I enjoy reading creative nonfiction because often the stories explore the meaning of moments in the past - how to interpret them, how they've affected the narrator, how a wider meaning can be applied to others. You do an excellent job of setting me in Burma at that time and understanding your innocence. The story of the old man in the beginning, and how he's reassigned in the end - and how you are able to understand what that really means later on -was very moving. In a way, I felt like I was riding along on horseback at certai...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
12:31 Jan 25, 2023

Thank-you so much! This story means a lot to me. We are taught about horrible regimes like Hitler's in history class, and then suddenly I was living in one and literally could not believe it, so I ignored what I was seeing. At the risk of being ridiculous, I dismissed the evidence of my senses. Until I couldn't. I think that is the secret dictators understand in advance. People who are alert to the danger appear paranoid. Until it is too late. The Cassandra curse. I have wanted to tell this story for a long time and it means a lot to me tha...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
21:18 Jan 30, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Laurel Hanson
12:25 Jan 31, 2023

Oh my word! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this response! I struggled for years trying to articulate how, in the face of horrifying evidence, we can simply not see it. This experience certainly helped me to understand what happened in WWII era Germany. I can totally imagine living in a home such as yours and not being able to really understand/believe what your parents were saying. You have picked up on the central line to the whole piece and I can tell it comes from experience. Appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.