A Dream Come True

Submitted into Contest #39 in response to: One day, the sun rose in the west and set in the east.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

One day, the sun rose in the west and set in the east. As it performed its usual journey Abselon Geroix observed it intently. Usually he never cared for the big ball of light, he saw it everyday and, to be honest, he hated how it burned his skin and gave him headaches when he was exposed to it for too long. He was sure the sun hated him as much as he hated it. But on that day, it felt different. It felt pleasant, like it was a one-off time where the two of them can be friends and tolerate each other.


As the sky lit up with an intense orange colour that made it look like it was on fire, Abselon could only think of one thing... Immortality. It was his childhood dream, his lifelong goal, his passionate desire and his fantasy. He had achieved almost everything else he wanted in life, he found his other half and they lived together with a roof over his head and food and money, he felt pretty happy and settled, but he knew that as time went by he would age and so would his partner. The world would change and who knows what could happen to them with crazy politicians running a muck and his fellow humans sinking deeper into insanity. The only way out was the fulfillment of his dream, for him to be immortal and his lover as well, and that way they would never age and could get away from society and watch it crumble in on itself from a far away island where they could spend eternity with each other and their closest family and friends.


It was a beautiful dream, but he didn’t have a single clue of how to bring it about. As the final rays of light left the sky and it appeared as a darkening sea he closed his eyes and felt a buzz in his head as if a machine was coming to life, he reached out to the world or even to the universe and projected his will “I want immortality” he whispered, “I don’t care how or what I need to do but I will find a way.” With that thought a chime from his phone pulled him out of his thoughtful state and back to the land of reality, it was his partner calling and it was time to head home for a nice dinner and a relaxing night.


Later that night he couldn’t fall asleep, which was strange as usually he slept like a baby after looking at the sun as it literally sapped him of energy. Not this time. Just as he was about to get up and think of something to do, he felt a strange feeling, as if a ripple through time and space. It gave him shivers, but then it vanished as if nothing happened. He looked at the clock on the wall and noticed the arrows had stopped moving “damn battery has died again” he thought but then he noticed a mosquito completely still in mid-air “what the hell, how’s that possible?” he mumbled to himself as he looked to his partner who was in the process of snoring but had also frozen like the mosquito. He stood up getting more and more alarmed, was this a dream? Was it aliens? And then he noticed a shadowy figure standing at the bedroom door, he gasped as the figure stepped forward and a tall grey skinned creature was illuminated in the moonlight, his eyes gleamed like burning coals and his smile was crooked and malicious.


 “Who the hell are you? Or what are you? And why the hell are you here?” he asked as he felt the blood rushing into his muscles and the fight or flight response beginning to take effect. “Questions, so many questions, is that how you greet your old friend?” the creature spoke slowly with a dark and menacing voice. “After all you invited me here, earlier in your thoughts, do you remember? When you begged the universe for immortality, when you said you would do anything to obtain it.” As he uttered his last words his eyes gleamed red and his vicious smile grew bigger as if he was eyeing his prey. Abselon stared at him in disbelief, “this isn’t real. I’m out of here” he said as he pinched himself hard, but the creature still stood there. It stepped even closer now “here let me help” and grabbed Absleon’s arm and with a satisfied smile he dug his claws in the man’s arm drawing blood. “What the hell?!” the young man screamed “well at least now you know I’m real so perhaps we could finally get down to business” the creature looked at him mockingly.


Abselon finally took a hold of his nerves, it was obvious this was happening so he thought he might as well find out what it was about. “Answer my question then, who the hell are you? And what do you want of me?” he barked with an irritated tone, “ ah yes where are my manners, my name is Azuron, daemon lord of hunger and ambition and I would say I am the god of wishes, and that’s why I’m here my friend. To grant you your wish, if you still want it of course?” “I do, I definitely do” Abselon answered his interest now rising, “excellent!” Azuron purred with satisfaction “then tell me Abselon are you still prepared to pay any price for your wish?” he grinned “I am, my only condition Is that my partner be allowed to be immortal as well and be by my side” “Well of course my boy I am a true patron of eternal love, I can grant your wish but in exchange you and your partner must offer me your souls… Don’t get me wrong I’m not going to eat them, just yet, but it means that during your eternal existence you will be my servants and carry out my will, and should you tire of our arrangement you may cease to exist but your souls will still be mine.”


Azuron growled like a predator eager to feed, Abselon felt stumped, how could he make such a decision with his partner frozen, it would be selfish of him to bargain with their souls without even consulting him, but then again if it meant eternity with the one he loved then it was all worth it. “Very well I accept your offer, I gladly offer you our souls in exchange for everlasting life”. Azuron laughed in the darkness “I knew you wouldn’t disappoint, now take my dagger of chaos and draw blood from you and your beloved and let me drink it and then I shall offer you my gift!” Abselon did as he was bidden and after the daemon devoured their blood greedily everything went dark, he felt the enormity of time and space wash over him, he felt the cold dark void as he heard the daemon speak “you will be my disciples on this earth, you will walk as creatures of darkness, as vampires feasting on the blood of the wretched humans you used to be apart of and you will bring me their souls as your way of worship” Abselon felt strong, powerful, he felt countless abilities roar within him.


When he came back to reality Azuron was gone and his partner was sitting up in bed with the look of utter horror in his eyes, “what have you done??” He asked with a trembling voice, “Why didn’t I have a say in this? It’s my damn soul!”.


It took them awhile but they got used to their new lives and relished their abilities and their eternal youth, they only drank the blood of the most wicked and cruel of humanity and offered up their souls to Azuron, the world changed with every decade sometimes for the worst and sometimes for the better but regardless they faced it together with their unbreakable bond. 

May 01, 2020 15:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.