Future or Dream?

Submitted into Contest #30 in response to: Write a story about a character experiencing déjà vu.... view prompt

0 comments

General

"Don't say a word, just dance with me." he whispered. I froze. Where had I heard that before? I ignored the feeling and took his hand. He pulled me onto the dance floor and took me in his arms. We laughed and danced. But I couldn't shake the feeling that I had seen all of this before. Maybe he's just said that before. No....even this room looked the same. The clothes we were both wearing, the music. Everything was the same. I had seen all of this before. I had been here before. But when? Maybe it was a dream I had had recently. That was the only rational explanation.

******

The next morning, Garrett texted me. Hey, have we been to that dance before? A chill went down my spine. You thought that too? He called me on Facetime. "Have we been there before?" he asked. "No. But I swear I remember being there. Like, same clothes, same music, everything." "I know! Me too!" "Maybe it was just a dream we both had." "But both of us having the same dream?" "Hey, I've heard of it happening." "I don't know. I'll see you at school?" "Okay." I got ready for the day then went downstairs. Mom was making bacon. I walked up and turned the stove fan on. She opened her mouth but I stopped her. "The stove's gonna catch on fire." "What?" I grabbed the flour and stood next to her. Sure enough, the pan bust into flames. I threw a handful of flour at it and shut the stove off. Mom looked at me. "How did you know it would do that?" I put the flour away and thought about it. Then I realized I didn't know how I knew. I just did. "I-I don't know." I grabbed a rag and cleaned up the mess. "I'll see you after school." "Honey, it's only 7:30. You still have 30 minutes until you have to leave." I looked at my watch. "Oh." "How does cereal sound?" "Sounds good." I chuckled. I got bowls and spoons and she got the cereal and milk. We sat at the table and ate pretty much in silence. "When is Dad gonna be home?" "Tonight. I was thinking we could all go out to eat for dinner. What do you think?" "Sure." I helped her clean up and left early.

******

I watched Garrett park across from me and get out. Another chill went down my spine. "GARRETT STOP!" He froze and another student whizzed by just inches in front of Garrett. "Watch it asshole!" I yelled. Garrett jogged over to me. "How did you know that was gonna happen?" I shook my head. "I don't know.....Garrett that's the second time that has happened today." "What do you mean?" "This morning I walked downstairs and I just knew the pan of bacon my mom was making was going to burst into flames. And it did! What is going on? That's three times in the past 24 hours." I started having a panic attack. "Easy, easy girl. Come on." He ushered me to the picnic area behind the school. "Breath Rori." He held me close. Once I calmed down and took a step back. "Let's just go to class. I'm sure I'm freaking out over nothing."

******

The rest of the day went by without anymore freaky deja vu incidents. Actually, the next couple days went by without problems. But then they started back up. I told my dad to leave early so he could avoid a car accident. Garrett even called me one day and told me to be careful not to drop my hair straightener so I wouldn't burn my hand. After this happening on and off for the next few months, we kinda just got use to it. We started to accept it as a cool super power. Then my dad brought me to career day. He's a Marine. We went to his office where they were overseeing a mission over seas. I got to go in and watch. The Marines were asking which direction they should go from. I tugged on my dads shirt. "Tell them to go in that way." I said and pointed to another entrance. He eyeballed me, but nodded to the officer in charge. "East entrance." he spoke into the com. They moved around and went in. Shots were fired, but the situation was quickly handled. "What's in the other entrance Marine?" Dad asked. "An insurgent with a grenade sir." The camera showed the now dead man with an unopened grenade in his hand slumped right next to the door. My blood froze. If they had gone in that way, they would have all been dead. Dad clapped me on the shoulder. But the commanding officer wasn't as trusting. He looked at me. "How did you know?" I looked at him and quickly made up some crap. "I saw a blip on the thermal camera. I'm sorry, should I not have said anything?" "No honey. It's a good thing you did." Dad said. I guess this new superpower was gonna be a lot more handy than we thought.

February 22, 2020 19:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.