0 comments

Holiday

The adventuring group sat around, each enjoying their company, as well as their favorite beverage, while the meal was being prepared. Each had their own story to tell, but as a close-knit group of adventurers, they had a lot more together. 

They were more of a family than friends. Closer to each than most real families. Sure, there was drama and heartache, but each one would quickly come to the defense of each other.

Bastian stood at the head of the table and over a toast to the completion of their latest mission. He had spent the day finalizing receiving the payment for him and his teammates. After working out the details of the contract the previous week, the amount had been increased from the original amount and he was one who would bend over backwards to receive the fair pay for his friends, his family.  The job was not an easy one by any means. However, saving a village from rampaging trolls was a great way to earn money, as well as that celebratory meal. He raised his mug of ale and saluted each one separately as he tossed them a hefty bag of gold pieces.

As each caught their sack of coin, they dreamed of what they could do with it, before realizing Bastian was still standing and waiting with a little smirk on his face. Usually he would already be sitting and drinking away or spending his money frivolously on food for the party and women, but this change gave everyone pause.

He looked at each one and held their stares for several seconds. It was enough to unnerve the mightiest of the group. However, there was no malice to be found. 

“I have been given the notes for a new job,” he started, and quickly held up his hand to make the group pause, “It sounds like a really easy one, but as you know, I do not make the decisions for the entire group. We are a family and I want to hear all of your viewpoints before we decide.”

The friends all looked at each other and waited for the tale to begin.

“I guess there is a small hamlet several days ride from here that has been under some form of attack. Each time someone nears the area, they are never heard from again. There are numerous rumors spouting magics, or monsters, and even one about a mysterious old woman who caused all of this. Like I said, ‘easy.’  

“However, we have no real idea as to what the actual occurrence is. I personally think it is probably an upset lord taxing his villagers to the point of everyone either leaving or them being mad enough that killing him and witnesses would be easier. Any way about it, we would be going in blind,” he paused to take a swig from his vessel.

“Now I know we just finished with the trolls and would love a nice, hard-earned rest, but something simple like this can be considered a vacation for us just as easily. Think it over and tell me your thoughts later. As for right now, it is time to celebrate.”

At hearing their cue, the pair of barmaids standing by walked over and filled the mugs of the traveling companions, then proceeded to bring numerous dishes of meats, breads and desserts. The group tucked in and began enjoying the spoils of their victory.

As the festivities began winding down, Bastian spoke with each member individually, beginning with the group’s rogue Balthazar. Knowing he would be an easy answer and would not need prodding, Bastian quickly received the answer he required. 

Karlissa was soon after. While she had a loving heart, she was also the most timid of the group. Still learning the trade of monster-slayer, she struggled with making a decision that would affect others of her new family. Being with the group the shortest amount of time, they treated her like a young sibling that needed to be taught tricks of the trade or mollycoddled to prevent her from getting injured. She found it embarrassing, that her new family treated her much like her own, but she found it just as comforting. She was still not use to the chance to have her say about a job, but she sat thinking about it most the night, waiting to talk with Bastian about the decision. He looked hard into her eyes as she made her case and after he nodded and gave her a supportive smile, she knew she had finally sounded unhesitating with being a part of the family.

Soon everyone had their provided their answer and Bastian stood once again. “I will let the mayor know of this decision and…” he paused for dramatic effect, “That we will head out at first light. Later can we replenish our supplies and get fresh horses and some rest.” With that he winked at the group and headed upstairs, grabbing a woman with each arm along the way.

The group laughed and snorted at his antics, then turned to each other. The idle chitchat continued until Jasper paused. The dwarf looked sullen and turned to the group. “I’ll have to sit this one out lads and lasses. I needed to take care of some business at home before heading out on the next quest. I’m sure you all had previous plans too, but mine cannot wait unfortunately. Know I would gladly be heading out with you, my friends, my family. But as Bastian stated, it’s a simple task. I’ll meet you when you get back.”

Karlissa gazed at him, as a child would their grandfather, and asked, “Do you need our help?”

The dwarf turned in shock, she hardly spoke, but of all times, this was one he did not expect. “No, no, my dear lass. It’s a simple misunderstanding about my brother. He is one who loves his drink and loves the trouble he gets into with his drink,” he chuckled and held up his coin purse, “Something easily rectified. Couple of missing animals and broken fences that need repair. You know how it is, families stick together and help one another out. Whether it’s your family by genetics or by choice, you must be a support. My support for him is going to beat him with this sack until he is sober, have him mend the enclosures and get off the damned drink.”

Karlissa giggled at the dwarf’s words and jovial smile, which calmed the party from also seeing if he needed support.  

“I will see you all in a few days and you can tell me about what happened. We can discuss whatever happens next then.”  Then with a nod and a yawn, he said his good nights and headed to his own room, soon followed by the rest.

November 30, 2019 00:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.