38 comments

Holiday Crime Thriller

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

I wake up early and make coffee because it’s a big day for me and Lydia – it’s the day her old man finally has a date with a government bullet. Truth be told, I didn’t get much sleep. My gut’s been dizzy all month, thinking the nightmare was actually going to be over soon.

And damn it! Guess I’m not great at making coffee either, as I forgot the carafe again and the machine’s dribbling all over the counter.

“Heya handsome,” I hear from the doorway, just as I begin wiping up the soggy mess.

It’s Lydia, in her nightgown, and she’s as gorgeous as the day she walked into my life. Lord, I can’t believe that was ten years ago. Where’s the time gone?

I pull her in close, give her a long peck on the beak, run my hands down her feathers. “Morning, baby.” Her scent… she smells of home. A place I never thought I’d find.

I give her another peck when I see the fear in her eyes. “Hey, it’s over. It’s finally over.” I say it as much for her benefit as mine.

Lydia McGobble – wife of the most notorious turkey mobster in all of New Farmington – is the best thing that’s ever happened to me. Maybe the only good thing. A life of private investigation mostly just leaves you with scars.

She settles into my arms, nuzzles my wattle. “I know,” she says. “I can’t believe it. It feels like taking a breath after a lifetime of drowning.”

Don’t I know it, babe. Jack McGobble is an animal. Was.

Just then, the patio door slams open and Martin Dinde – my old partner from the force – rushes in. He’s lucky I have years of experience, because my Colt 1911 is already in my hand.

“Christ, Martin! I damn near blew your brains out!”

“Eugene! Lydia! Sorry!” he says, gulping down air. “But you gotta see this.”

He slams the morning’s paper on the counter, and on the front page is none other than Jack McGobble, shaking hands with a human – the President of the United States. They’re both grinning at the camera, and the headline above proudly proclaims, “President Pardons Turkey!”

“Son of a bitch,” I mutter, and I feel Lydia grow tense. I know old Jack has connections, but I never thought he’d swing something like this.

I still remember the day I brought him down, at the old pork processing plant. To the casual eye Jack was an upstanding meat magnate, but Lydia – just an anonymous informant at the time, calling me up in the middle of the night, but I never forgot that voice – told me there was more than just pork being ground up and packaged. Seemed like Jack had a side business of offing turkeys, bundling them up with potatoes and cranberry, freezing the whole thing in a plastic coffin, and selling them to humans.

Yeah, the guy was sick.

But he was everywhere too, with feathers in every pie. I knew the mayor was on his payroll, but it caught me by surprise the chief of police was too. I should have known, of course, since I’d been getting the run around for months, but it all fell into place when I came upon Jack holding the chief of police over an industrial meat grinder. Seemed like the chief wanted a bigger cut, and Jack was all too eager to oblige.

“Jack! Don’t do it!” Much as I didn’t like the chief, he belonged behind bars and not in a frozen dinner. “You’re better than this!”

“No, Eugene,” he said. “I’m really not.” I’ll never forget the look he had in his eye, like he was both horrified and delighted at what was happening, like he knew he was a monster and revelled in it. “I can’t help myself. I’m not better than this – I am this.”

And then he tossed the chief into the grinder, spraying feathers and giblets everywhere.

I went for him. I knew if I didn’t get the upper hand I was done for, as he’d never let me walk out alive – and even back then, I was terrified of what he might do to Lydia. I didn’t think I’d make it, because Jack was built like an ostrich, but he was tired from a night of tying up loose ends, and it looked like the chief of police had managed to shoot him once or twice too.

Ultimately, I landed a lucky right hook, knocked him out, and the rest is history. I called up Martin, who got the arrest and a promotion, and with the top level corruption gone, we knew Jack was going down for good.

Or so we thought.

I hug Lydia more tightly. The poor hen. She had to live with that monstrosity for far too many years.

“Thanks for the news, Martin. It’s terrible, but better to tear the Band-Aid off. Does the chief know yet? I wouldn’t be surprised if Jack wasn’t returning, with a vengeance.”

“That’s just it,” Martin says, ruffling his feathers. “Thing is, I called into the precinct, but nobody’s answering.”

We let that hang in the air for a moment, a silence that washes out the dawn.

I grab my coat just as Martin fishes out his keys.

“I’m coming too,” says Lydia.

“No, babe. It’s too dangerous–”

“–The hell it is!” She’s already slipped on a jacket and her purse – and I know she’s got more than makeup and mints in there, and she’d not hesitate to defend herself. “I’m not leaving you, and that’s final.”

So the three of us pack into Martin’s station wagon and drive into the city. The streets are surprisingly empty, but then again, I’m not used to greeting the sun so maybe this is normal.

Normal. How close we were to normal. Suburbs? Marriage? A poodle?

The legal system worked, justice was served, and then victory was snatched away at the last possible moment. Maybe I’m not cut out for playing house, and maybe a mobster’s wife isn’t either, but retirement was actually starting to grow on me. I’m too old for this dance and I just want to sit down for a while.

I don’t like this.

And my gut’s right. It always is. Downtown New Farmington is a ghost city. Abandoned cars line the streets and errant feathers blow in the wind, and terrified eyes follow us from every alley and window.

Martin pulls into the precinct parking lot. The police station is deserted.

“Oh god oh god oh god,” Martin mutters, and as soon as we see the mess inside – tables knocked over, papers scattered about like a hurricane had passed through the building – we both draw our guns.

“This way,” he says. “We have to see the chief.”

But the chief’s office is empty too, except for a sickly sweet smell, and a thick red goop smeared over the walls and floor. Lydia gasps and Martin gags. I approach the stuff, touch it.

“Cranberries,” I whisper.

The sick bastards have been here all right.

We hear a commotion down the hall. Sounds like a filing cabinet falling over, glass shattering. Inane cackling.

When we rush out we see a couple thugs taking a crowbar to the place. Unfortunately, they spot us.

“Oy!” shouts one. “Isn’t that the coppers Jack put a price on?”

Damn it!

A moment later they open fire. I grab Lydia and leap behind a desk, shielding her from the plaster and wood raining down on us from where the bullets tear up the walls. There’s a hall not too far from us, and we can duck down it as soon as these idiots run out of bullets. I just need to make sure Martin knows the plan–

Martin!?

The brave idiot is just standing there, returning fire. I see red streak the hallway as he takes a bullet, and when he sinks to his knees he fires off a final three shots, before silence suffocates the hallway.

“Martin!”

“Rat bastards,” he wheezes. “Call themselves turkeys.” He coughs, dribbling red.

Oh god, there’s so much red.

“Lie down, we’ll get you bandaged up!”

He grabs my wing. “Eugene. Save it.” Another wet cough. “I’m clocking out.” He lets out a long wet gurgle, then fishes out his car keys and puts them in my hand. “Go to Dairy Hills. My sister. She can help you.”

“Martin.” I’m at a loss for words. My first partner. My oldest friend.

“Go. Hide. Plan.” He wheezes. “And promise me, you’ll get the bastard.”

“We will,” I say.

And then there’s nothing more to be said, ever again. I lay him down and close his eyes. I wish there was time for a more proper send off, but I can hear more of Jack’s goons elsewhere in the building. We hightail it to the parking lot and I hammer the pedal of Martin’s car.

“Oh, Martin,” Lydia says, and her voice breaks my heart. I squeeze her hand as I drive. She’s all I have left now, but I do have her, thanks to Martin. We both owe him so much.

When I took Jack down, we found enough evidence to unravel his entire empire. Half of city council were implicated in shady dealings, as well as numerous prominent businessmen. Seemed like there was good money in the turkey flesh trade, and the humans provided an insatiable market.

And there was evidence on Lydia, too. Enough she’d never see the light of day again. I had a duty to bring her to justice, only I didn’t think she’d get any. A judge wouldn’t care that her tips were what lit the fuse, because there was no proof of it and only the testimony of a washed up old drunk like me.

But I wasn’t thinking straight. I’d grown attached. Was tempted.

It was Martin that pushed me over the edge.

“You always had a good nose for character,” he said. “Why don’t you put your righteousness down, and just this once follow your heart?”

Following that advice was the best mistake I ever made.

“Eugene,” says Lydia, snapping me back to the present. We’ve hit the interstate, still hours away from Dairy Hills. “We’re being followed.”

I glance in the mirror and see it’s true. Two black cars behind us, splitting on either side of us and pulling up. This is it then. I look at Lydia and she looks at me. So much goes unsaid, and all we have time for is a quick peck. Then we both draw our guns.

The goons pull up thinking they have the drop on us, but as soon as the windows roll down we give them a surprise. Lydia splatters the driver to the right of us, and his car goes spiraling into a ditch. The guys on the left are a bit more nimble and we trade lead, and turn our cars into Swiss cheese.

And I don’t like Swiss cheese.

My gun’s out of bullets so I ram the others at an off-ramp. They go tumbling down a hill and slam into a median, and their car lands on its roof with a crunch. I gun it, leaving them in the dust, and as soon as there’s some respectable distance between us I check on Lydia.

She’s wide-eyed, flustered, and breathing heavily – just as I am – but good lord above, she’s fine!

“We made it,” I say.

She grins. “We did!” Then she checks her gun. “Just in time too. I’m all out.”

“Same.”

And unfortunately, Martin’s car has also had enough. Maybe they hit something, or maybe that last ramming was too hard for the old girl, but the dash suddenly lights up red and the engine begins smoking.

We pull over near a side road. We’re still hundreds of miles from Dairy Hills, but there’s a sign here that says “Township of Gladburry.”

“Maybe we can find a mechanic,” I say.

“Maybe.” Lydia grabs my hand and we walk into Gladburry.

Right off we can tell it’s a human town. I don’t have anything against humans per se, but there is a lot of bad blood in our history, and it always makes me a little nervous when they gather in groups. But the handful of homes that make up Gladburry hardly qualifies as gathering.

We pick a likely house and knock on the door. A red cheeked kid opens it, and we hear the sounds of cheery chatter inside, and a waft of gingerbread washes over us.

“Hello?” the kid says.

“Hi there,” I say. “Sorry to bother you, but our car broke down. We were wondering if we could use your phone to call a mechanic.”

The kid thinks it over for a moment, and I’m beginning to wonder if I should have started with “Are your parents home?”, but then she finally smiles and nods.

“Yeah, please come in!”

She shows us into her kitchen, which is probably small by human standards but pretty spacious for us. And it’s nice and warm here. Didn’t even realize how cold it had gotten outside.

She closes the door behind us and says, “I’ll just get my mom.”

“Thanks,” we both say.

It smells lovely in here. Lots of fresh baking, and I can definitely smell corn. My stomach rumbles. Maybe we can catch a meal.

Then Lydia elbows me, and points up at the kitchen table, and my gut’s in freefall. There’s cans upon cans of cranberry sauce.

And then we hear the kid shouting at the top of her shrill voice: “Mom! You’ll never believe it! It’s a Thanksgiving Day miracle!”

November 28, 2023 22:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

38 comments

Jonathan Page
23:18 Nov 29, 2023

Michal - a brilliantly told tale for Thanksgiving. Kudos!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:37 Nov 30, 2023

Thanks, Jonathan! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:20 Nov 29, 2023

Hit all the funny bones and topped it off with a wish bone for Thanksgiving dinner.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Nov 30, 2023

Indeed! I wasn't feeling the sit-around-the-table meal story, but then the turkey idea occurred to me. Thanks for reading, Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
16:33 Nov 29, 2023

If I were a judge, this would be the weekly winner! 🏆 I loved this turkey tale. The suspense, the inner conflict, and then the (dinner) tables were turned at the end! “He was the size of an ostrich” :) “Cranberries” smeared on the walls :) This made me think of the Dragnet tv series from the 50s. (That was cool to watch before all the real crime tv shows that are out now) 😂 Thanks for this brilliantly amusing story!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:47 Nov 29, 2023

Ha, thanks Nina! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :) I had a hard time coming up with an idea for this week, as all I saw was disappointing family dinners and I just wasn't feeling it (and we do Thanksgiving in October in Canada, so the timing was jarring). Then the turkey POV occurred to me, and l've been meaning to dig more into detective/noir, so the rest just followed. Glad it worked out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
06:15 Feb 13, 2024

Ha-ha. Dark Turkey, or Gobbler Noir. Great dialogue and action. A very witty piece.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:44 Feb 14, 2024

Heh, definitely had fun with this one :) Thanks for giving it a read, Ken!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cara Boynton
15:44 Dec 07, 2023

I enjoyed this! I was giggling all the way through! Great job!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:57 Dec 07, 2023

Thanks, Cara! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lyle Closs
08:40 Dec 07, 2023

Oh this is brilliant. Best story I've read on Reedsy for a long time. I loved it.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:02 Dec 07, 2023

Thanks, Lyle! It was definitely fun to write, to stretch my wings with some genres and themes I don't normally do :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Robert Egan
00:20 Dec 05, 2023

I think you just invented a new subgenre of turkey noir. It reminds me of this book Gun, with Occasional Music, which I really enjoyed—same goes for this story! I thought the opening was clear (you had me at "her old man finally has a date with a government bullet"), and expecting the presidential turkey pardon didn't detract from the joy of seeing it delivered. The rest was pure delight with a great balance between action and backstory. Is it wrong to still want cranberry sauce after all this?

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:46 Dec 05, 2023

It is wrong, but it's also right, so it balances out :) Thanks for reading, Robert! I've always been fascinated by the noir feel, but never really dove into it before. Glad this one worked out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
14:03 Dec 04, 2023

Absolutely brilliant! That was my first thought the first time I read this, and it still rings true on my second read. This is imaginative and funny and action-packed, and the way you pull us into the world is so smooth. I am in awe of your creativity and skills. I mean, I always am, but this story really highlights both, friend. Ok, so as soon as I read the "Heya handsome" I thought - *gasp* Michal's doing a love story! And then... I found out they were turkeys and about died laughing, lol! Then I stopped and reveled in how masterfully yo...

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:48 Dec 05, 2023

Thanks so much, AnneMarie! That feedback's made my day :) Especially if the show-don't-tell is coming through. I think that's one we all struggle with, so hearing it's working out is heartening. I actually had a heck of a time coming up with an idea for this one, since the prompts were all Thanksgiving, and we do that in October up here in Canada - so, out of sight out of mind. But then I remembered the turkey-pardoning tradition, which always struck me as interesting, and it kind of grew from there. Anyway, thanks for giving it a read...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
21:27 Dec 03, 2023

hahaha. Love the ending.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:49 Dec 05, 2023

Thanks mate! Dangerous time of year to be a turkey :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
05:17 Dec 03, 2023

This is great. Very clever and funny. I like your unique take on the prompt. The bit about the president pardoning the turkey was really funny and that end was the best.

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:14 Dec 04, 2023

Thanks, Kate! Yeah, the pardoning always struck me as an interesting tradition - glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Kate Winchester
00:52 Dec 04, 2023

Welcome 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
James Lane
21:04 Dec 02, 2023

Great story Michal! I love the turn from the noir/hard-boiled detective to ..wait...what... they are turkeys? You nailed that. The turkey pardoning was such a great idea.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:59 Dec 03, 2023

Thanks, James! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) The turkey pardoning has been on my mind ever since I heard about it years ago, and finally the conditions for a story came about. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
04:13 Dec 02, 2023

This reminded me of another animal tale, Fantastic Mr. Fox- Eugene is just trying to do right for Lydia, with all kinds of characters trying to hold him back. And of course people are always the problem, I feel bad for the family those 'hard boiled' turkeys are going to be tough to chew on ;) Thanks!

Reply

Michał Przywara
20:16 Dec 02, 2023

Ha, that's probably true :) Now I kind of wish I managed to work "hard boiled" in, to a noir poultry story. Glad you enjoyed it, Marty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
16:18 Nov 30, 2023

"I pull her in close, give her a long peck on the beak, run my hands down her feathers." - it was this line that did me in. One minute I am being invited into a story about a ten year old marriage through the point of view of a normal loving albeit a bit clumsy husband and then the next, the lens changes. And I'm a turkey. The last thing I'd want to be on Thanksgiving. Great "slice of life" story. Even if it ends in slices of death. Thanks as always for entertaining us.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:32 Nov 30, 2023

Definitely a bit of a sillier premise this week :) I wonder if the opening is too jarring - if it should be clearer earlier that it's a turkey story. Maybe I'll take another crack at it. This week threw me for a loop. All I saw was dysfunctional family dinners, but I wasn't feeling it. Then I recalled the presidential turkey pardon, and thought, what are they guilty of that they need a pardon for? And then naturally, maybe it was something serious. Thanks for reading, Danie!

Reply

Danie Holland
21:59 Nov 30, 2023

Oh, maybe my message reads weird. It made me laugh. That’s what I meant by “did me in.” Don’t change it. I mean, do what you want. You’re a grown man. But I liked that part. I skipped this week. It was a struggle for me also. I’m a bit too Native American to care about thanksgiving or a bit too familyless? Idk. somethings off. I also burn everything I cook. Not my forte. Later.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
07:38 Nov 30, 2023

I wonder if it's the 92 submissions that make your writing so good. I struggled for a few minutes at the beginning when the coffee was being made, Lydia walked in wearing her nightgown but you kissed her long beak - and then I got it and thought how inventive. Yes it has captured the remanence of 1950/60s detectives about it. A good read.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:33 Nov 30, 2023

Thanks, Stevie! I'm a firm believer in practice, so that's good to hear :) And thanks for pointing out the intro. Yes, it's not expected to be reading a turkey POV - maybe I can find a way to introduce this earlier, to reduce jarring. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Stevie Burges
23:44 Nov 30, 2023

No, don't change a thing. I thought it was a charming intro - and sometimes the reader mustn't 'get it' from the first paragraph - it keeps them reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
23:37 Nov 29, 2023

I've thought about writing a chicken comic book called Fowl Crimes, and this makes me want to return to that idea. Birds are such an under-utilized POV and your inclusion of the noir angle really makes this story shine. "...turn our cars into Swiss cheese. And I don’t like Swiss cheese." -- I imagine Clint Eastwood saying that line and it makes me cackle all the more.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:36 Nov 30, 2023

Heh, I like that line too :) The comic sounds like an interesting idea! And of course, I love the pun title :) If you proceeded with it, would you also do all the illustrations, or is that something you'd collaborate with another artist? Thanks for giving this a read :)

Reply

Kailani B.
23:58 Nov 30, 2023

I'd collaborate with my sister, who has a vibrant and cutesy drawing style. I would like to do humorous detective/noir storylines with barnyard undertones (think fedora-topped, trench coat wearing roosters), and I imagine that when it's combined with adorable drawings of birds and other animals, it would make for an entertaining juxtaposition. That's the hope, anyway :) We've got years of chicken experience for inspiration and it would be a fun project to do; we just need to find the time to do it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Karen Corr
14:10 Nov 29, 2023

They never had a chance!😩 Still, there was hope until the end. 😂😂 Thanks, Michal!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:49 Nov 29, 2023

Yeah, they walked right into that one :) Dangerous time of the year for the poor birds. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Karen :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
11:14 Nov 29, 2023

I enjoyed this turkey tale. The noir vibe you created was believable even though they were turkeys. The ending- chills.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:50 Nov 29, 2023

If this at all sounded noir, then I'm satisfied :) It's a vibe I like, but I find it elusive. I struggled with the prompts this week, but the presidential turkey pardon caught my eye. What exactly is the turkey being pardoned of? And then I thought, maybe it's something serious. Thanks for the feedback, Michelle!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.