48 comments

Mystery

Near and far the world over there is fear. Fear is a seed embedded in everyone. Sometimes it grows, sometimes it’s stagnant. But then some incidents or things expose the fear hidden in us. Why I talk about fear read along you will know it…

It’s a true story that happened a few years back in a modernized village in India.  In this village from every house there was an NRI (Non Resident Indian) working in the Middle East, America or some other parts of the world. There is a saying that Indians are found all over the world even dwells in other planets if truth be told all over the cosmos. In every house there was splendour and sumptuousness except a few houses still living BPL (below poverty line) even in this age of computers and mobiles. Though surrounded by the most sophisticated gadgets corrupting the minds especially the adolescents at a rapid speed still the beauty and innocence of the village was not lost. Most of the houses were double or triple storey looked like five star hotels to flaunt their wealth and in between these mansions there were also small houses and huts. Truth to be told all houses over here were once upon a time small or huts devoid of palatial luxuries and electronic items. In flowing of foreign currencies like the good fairy in the famous fairy-tale Cinderella transformed many huts into palaces with a plethora of pleasures.

There was a lane in this urbanized village known as ‘Nude Lane’ where people feared to tread after sunset. This lane got this name two years back as whoever especially men who took this lane ended up nude. They were robbed of all their clothes, even undergarments, possessions and left stripped at the other end of the narrow road but women and kids were spared. Many men were even feared were compelled to take this lane as it was an important path in the village that connected to the outside world.

A rich arrogant man of this village boasted that he feared none and often quoted the famous Shakespearean line Cowards die many times before their deaths .The valiant never tasted death but once.’  He boldly took the risk of crossing the Nude lane, all he could remember was the next morning he was lying naked at the end of the lane. He was mortified and cried loudly. He jumped over the compound wall of a house seeing some clothes hanging on a line. The people staying in that house thought him to be a thief; he was beaten up and handed over to the police and later he was freed.  

 For a few days about four policemen stood guard and everyone could tread the lane without fear. Then one day all the policemen left except one… Alas! His destiny was the same; he ended up bare. The police investigated the matter but they couldn’t catch any thief.

Once a man was robbed left nude and the next day he found all his stolen things (watch, ID card, mobile, purse containing money and clothes) and a letter outside his house. He took out the letter from the envelope and read it...

Thanks for protecting our country where we are free to do what we want and go to sleep to wake up the next day. We return back all the things we robbed from you as you are the real hero, the soldier saving us sacrificing your life.

WE SALUTE YOU SIR

Thieves of the Nude lane)))

The soldier smiled and looked out with searching eyes but he couldn’t find anyone nearby.

Three tall teenage girls felt content and looking at each other smiling with play hooky eyes were watching the soldier from far without his notice. Two twin sisters nineteen years of age were orphans and lived with their cousin just seventeen. They were thick friends from childhood reminiscent of Alexandre Dumas’s ‘The Three Musketeers’. Mom of the twin sisters died many years ago. Their mom’s youngest sister looked after them. Their aunt’s husband had deserted her when a baby girl was born. He married another lady and has three kids thereafter never returned or gave any economic aid to his first wife and daughter. Then polygamy is not a new thing still thriving with more celebrities welcoming it without any guilt in a populated country like India where still millions of her children live in poverty. Their aunt was fighting cancer in a hospital and the money they robbed they spend for regaining her health and helping other poor people like them. Universally we find bias in education as clever poor children are deprived of their rights to higher learning due to lack of financial assistance. When girls of their age should be studying they were working in a chemical factory as sweepers soon they fell into the trap of some sex racket mafias but they escaped from their brutal claws very cleverly. They dreaded flesh trade where a number of young gullible girls daily became prey in the meat market. Thus to take revenge on some men and for more money they took to theft. They accumulated weapons and chloroform with the help of some relatives. No one knew their whereabouts; they were like the modern 'Robin Hoods' saving the lives of many destitute girls. The so-called Society has a vital part in making such thieves. A revolution will soon break out to alter the current corrupt ways.   

When God created man there was no law but then man created law due to fear. Law was not successful in curbing the crimes and the saddest thing crimes still exist to thrive. When all are sinners in one way or another who is so perfect that he has got the right to punish? As laws of modern times are blind to many crimes in India they (the three girls) too will escape for a while to continue as the thieves of the Nude lane…

 FEAR has two meanings:

Forget Everything And Run or Face Everything And Rise

The Choice is yours!!

July 18, 2020 07:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

48 comments

Charles Stucker
22:39 Jul 18, 2020

Your tale is interesting, but it has serious need of a grammar check. I realize English is a tough second language; many native speakers have poor grammar when they write. If you have access to the computer program "Grammarly," it is reputed to perform better than most. Structurally, this is primarily a "tell" story. You have three separate encounters between thee thieves and "victims"- the rich man, the police officer, and the soldier who has his belongings returned. You could shorten the opening three paragraphs and then expand each e...

Reply

ADHI DAS
04:39 Jul 19, 2020

Much thanks😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gideon Gichohi
19:58 Jul 19, 2020

True Indian spirit. Sincerely speaking, I don't know if I would like to read a long paragraph again but I like your story-telling.

Reply

ADHI DAS
03:58 Jul 20, 2020

Thanks alot for reading😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Heissell Ramirez
16:24 Jul 19, 2020

Your story is very deep and touches on real world problems yet you still manged to end it on an uplifting way with the emowering acronym at the end. Well done!

Reply

ADHI DAS
16:58 Jul 19, 2020

Much Thanks😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:56 Jul 19, 2020

This is an interesting story that has purpose and meaning. To me the acronym FEAR is important to remember: Forget Everything and Run or Face Everything and Rise. This reminds me of the fable of the tales of Robin Hood in the forest that would take from the rich and give to the poor. There is so much we can learn from one another, different countries and cultures. Keep writing!

Reply

ADHI DAS
11:46 Jul 19, 2020

Appreciate your comment.. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
05:00 Jul 19, 2020

Really liked the story, hearing similar stories like this one that take place in India. You kept the readers attention which is always a good thing. Keep up the writing.

Reply

ADHI DAS
11:44 Jul 19, 2020

Thanks😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:31 Jul 19, 2020

The story was good. Narrative could've been better. I could read the plot somewhere in-between. The 'showing' could've come much later. Sentence construction could've been better. Grammar and tense were a bit off at places, especially the commas. Paragraphs could've been grouped better. Using a word processor to write will help. Good luck and cheers ✌️✌️✌️

Reply

ADHI DAS
04:39 Jul 19, 2020

Thanks alot😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vicky S
08:28 Jul 18, 2020

I thought your description was really good

Reply

ADHI DAS
08:40 Jul 18, 2020

THANKS:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
ADHI DAS
03:53 Jul 19, 2020

Thanks😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
06:29 Sep 21, 2020

Hey, Adhi would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time, I would ready your story

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
06:56 Sep 01, 2020

Beautifully written

Reply

ADHI DAS
05:47 Oct 31, 2020

thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
15:23 Aug 14, 2020

Great story. I like the lesson you teach in the end. Very touching. Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

ADHI DAS
16:47 Aug 15, 2020

Thanks for reading ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writers Block
09:06 Aug 10, 2020

Good take on fear and the law.

Reply

ADHI DAS
16:47 Aug 15, 2020

Thanks 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lee
19:11 Jul 31, 2020

For your second submission, I thought it was great. I might suggest a grammar check like Charles said below. I would look into the way you formatted it too. Break up your paragraphs, and condense long sentences. Keep writing!! Hey, would you be willing to check out my story "Big Daddy Comes Back" and give some feedback? (Or any of my stuff!) Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Lee
19:11 Jul 31, 2020

For your second submission, I thought it was great. I might suggest a grammar check like Charles said below. I would look into the way you formatted it too. Break up your paragraphs, and condense long sentences. Keep writing!! Hey, would you be willing to check out my story "Big Daddy Comes Back" and give some feedback? (Or any of my stuff!) Thanks.

Reply

ADHI DAS
08:48 Aug 02, 2020

Thanks 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily B.
08:21 Jul 28, 2020

Your writing style is REALLY good.

Reply

ADHI DAS
09:14 Jul 28, 2020

Thanks 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
PAMELA ABWAO
18:19 Jul 27, 2020

It's a funny story. Ha ha ha What happened to the rich man? I look forward to reading more of your stories

Reply

Show 0 replies
ADHI DAS
04:45 Jul 25, 2020

thanks for the comments :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
D. Jaymz
17:46 Jul 24, 2020

Written with a passion that is felt through your words. An excellent story, that I may even call a fable. Well done. 😊 Some revision is necessary, looking at grammar and punctuation. Also, more white space is needed by breaking paragraphs more often where it is logical. ~~~~~~ Suggestion: I think the title may be more aptly written as 'Thieves of Nude Lane'. The 'l' would be capitalized in a title and 'the' can be left out. ~~~~~~ Keep writing. Have a great writerly day!

Reply

ADHI DAS
04:46 Jul 25, 2020

appreciate your valuable suggestions:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Estelle Westley
08:52 Jul 24, 2020

This was a very interesting read. If you work on your grammar it will be easier to read. Loved that you said it was true - we all have true stories to tell with a wise word to add if we just take time to look back. Thanks - I enjoyed it.

Reply

ADHI DAS
12:33 Jul 24, 2020

Thanks 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zyönnah Isiguzo
15:54 Jul 23, 2020

"FEAR has two meanings: Forget Everything And Run or Face Everything And Rise The Choice is yours!!" 'This is officially my favourite quote. A lot of things happened during this pandemic, and that is one saying that I would really need to keep pushing 💖 Say, do you mind checking out my new story? It is called "Her Dark Brown Eyes". Thanks!

Reply

ADHI DAS
16:50 Jul 23, 2020

I appreciate your comment😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
23:14 Jul 22, 2020

Loved the story (the last few sentences, especially!) Also, would you mind checking my recent story out, "Red, Blue, White"? Thank you!

Reply

ADHI DAS
03:52 Jul 23, 2020

Thanks😊😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.