1 comment

Horror Fantasy Suspense

Inga was a creature of the written word, her soul resonating with each rhythmic patter of the keyboard. The blinking cursor on an otherwise barren screen was like a siren's call, luring her to pour out her deepest yearnings in digital prose. Her fingertips bore hardened callouses from their ceaseless dance across the keys, each letter leaving its mark on her skin like indelible tattoos of every fleeting thought and whimsical fancy. 

She found herself buried in the drudgery of a thankless job at a company that peddled overpriced paperweights to the pompous upper crust. Her boss, Mr. Blanderby, was a rotund man who relished in belittling others as though it were some twisted form of entertainment.

One particularly gloomy Thursday, after enduring a verbal onslaught that left her ears ringing with insults, Inga sank into her threadbare armchair before her antiquated computer. The screen flickered hesitantly before surrendering to her commands. With fingers trembling from suppressed rage, she began to type: "I wish Mr. Blanderby would just drop dead."

The words materialized on the screen like some digital prophecy; she laughed at the absurdity of her own venomous thoughts. Yet when dawn arrived without sleep's embrace and news reached Inga about Mr. Blanderby’s unexpected demise amidst spilled coffee and paperweight catalogues, shock should have gripped her heart—but instead, an unusual sense of empowerment took hold.

It must be coincidence... right? But as this seedling of possibility flourished unchecked within Inga's mind, she gazed once more at her screen late into the night.

Her thoughts wandered to her landlord, Mr. Seppelt—a miserly old man who derived pleasure from doubling rent for an apartment that reeked perpetually of cabbage and shattered dreams.

Without hesitation or remorse—Inga's fingers danced their macabre waltz once again: "Mr. Seppelt will keel over before he can collect this month's rent." As if summoned by her digital decree, a phone call announced Mr. Seppelt’s abrupt departure from this world—found as stiff as his eviction notices on the staircase leading to Inga’s apartment.

Fear and fascination intermingled within her as she stared at her hands—the pale executioners—and questioned whether they wielded a power beyond mere coincidence. The revelation sent a thrilling chill through her spine, equally exhilarating and terrifying.

Then there was George—her boyfriend who once colored her days with love but now only offered shades of neglect and annoyance. His affections were evidently elsewhere; it was clear in every ignored call, every vacant gaze that sailed past her yearning silhouette towards unreachable horizons.

Could such cosmic influence extend even to matters of the heart? Could it wrench away love just as easily as it snatched lives? These questions burned through Inga's conscience like wildfire as she took to the keys once more with reckless abandon: "George will fall out of love with life itself."

His obituary read like cruel poetry; a vibrant young man lost to an inexplicable accident that led him off a bridge one misty evening. Inga's life unraveled around her like pages torn from some perverse fairytale, where the words that flowed from her fingertips brought forth a reality too horrific to comprehend.

Desperation clawed at her soul when she realized the true extent of her unwitting malevolence. The intricate web of others' lives had become unraveled by her whims, and the weight of such power bore down on her heart with an unbearable heaviness.

Nestled amidst the chaos of what was once her cherished sanctuary, surrounded by trinkets whose joy had been dulled by sorrow, Inga sought redemption in the relentless ticking of the clock—a reminder that time still bore witness to her existence, however cursed it may be.

She delved into ancient texts and whispered secrets, searching for a way to reverse the misfortunes she had so carelessly spun. The air around her hummed with the energy of a thousand incantations as she chanted under the soft glow of candlelight that danced upon walls heavy with shadow and regret.

Each word tasted bitter with penance as she implored unseen forces to undo what had been done. Her voice, once vibrant with conviction, now trembled with fear and hope intermingled in a fragile symphony. As dawn approached, its hesitant light creeping through the curtains, a breathless pause enveloped Inga's sanctuary.

The candles flickered one final time before succumbing to silence, leaving behind only the cold whisper of daybreak to confirm their passing. Mr. Seppelt was discovered later that morning by a puzzled postman who found him bewildered but very much alive on his staircase, clutching eviction notices meant for someone else entirely. Mr. Blanderby, was found on the floor of his office disheveled in a pool of coffee.

The peculiar circumstances baffled all but Inga, who concealed an anguished smile behind trembling lips. George was found too—not lifeless beneath cruel waters but seated on a park bench, staring out into the misty horizon. A passerby noticed his vacant expression and called for help; he would later speak of an enveloping darkness that lifted just as swiftly as it had descended.

As Inga walked through streets both familiar and strange—having narrowly avoided a terrible fate not unlike those she had inadvertently influenced—she felt shadows recede from around her heart. While uncertainty still lingered like morning fog yet to be burned away by the sun's embrace, one thing became clear: she dared not tempt fate again with idle words or fleeting desires.

Her journey onwards would be one of cautious steps and whispered apologies to a world she had wronged in ignorance—a world that offered second chances wrapped in the golden light of forgiveness and personal resolve. And perhaps, within this newfound reverence for the delicate balance of life, Inga might find solace from her haunted past and write a future free from curses typed by her own hand.

But such was not to be. The people she had wronged were not so forgiving. They found her—Mr. Blanderby, Mr. Seppelt, George—all resurrected by some unseen force, their eyes filled with a cold fury. 

They cornered her in her apartment, their fingers dancing on her antiquated computer: "Inga will meet the same fate she wished upon us." As they pressed 'enter', a sharp pain pierced through her heart.

She collapsed onto the floor, gasping for breath as darkness encroached upon her vision. Regret and fear flooded her mind—regret for the power she had wielded so carelessly and fear of the unknown that awaited her in death.

Her story ended there—with a final keystroke and a life snuffed out too soon—all because she dared to play master with words typed on an otherwise empty screen.

September 04, 2024 02:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Dana Orr
22:10 Sep 12, 2024

This story is magnificent. It seems a bit short, but is great nonetheless. However, I can’t help but notice that this story is a lot like the manga “Death Note”. I’m not sure if your story was inspired by Death Note or not, but if not, then you should definitely look into it. Either way, I really liked it. Very well written.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.