33 comments

Speculative Funny Romance

The autumn years: the time you’ve worked and waited for. To settle back, finally for more than a snatched half hour, on that comfy sofa you spent the best part of one career year saving for, sinking with a loud sigh into those plump cushions. No lego bricks digging into your back or model cars skidding beneath your feet. Just space to stretch luxuriously out, a glass of red wine in one hand, each sip a taste of the south; a book in the other, any yarn will do, you’re old enough to read what you like now after all. That’s the dream isn’t it when you slip into retirement, loosening up with comfy pants, going with the flow. 


Well, it was certainly my dream when I hung up the work suits, pushing the skimpy smalls to the back of the drawer, stocking up on the loungewear. Yes, I planned to live a double life: one half Zen panda, the other sanguine sloth. To my mind that totalled a slow slide into the golden years, glowing like the warm October sun streaming through the window. I planned to just pull the cork from my favourite claret, recline, read and repeat. 


That was the retirement plan and it wasn’t ‘till I embarked upon it that I realised how drastically different it was to Richard’s, my husband. One scene will suffice to fill you in with more than enough details. 


We were sitting down to breakfast, sorting through the normal assortment of little colourful pills we need to pop to slow the flow of old age, when I noticed a new addition to his pick ‘n’ mix collection: a bright blue one which I’d never seen before. Normally it’s a morning chore persuading him to take his meds, but that day he bolted them down with his orange juice like a kid in a candy store. Small mercies I concluded and gave it no more thought, turning instead to my latest paperback and bowl of steaming porridge. I was eating and turning the pages contentedly when I noticed him standing beside me with a very odd expression on his face. At first I thought it might be indigestion and I was going to ask him if he needed a flatulence pill. Only when I followed his beaming gaze downwards to waist height did I realise that wasn’t the issue. My heart started beating so fast I fumbled around for the beta blocker bottle before he could give me a coronary.


“You’ll be needing more than that when I’ve finished with you!” he winked and chuckled in a most alarming manner.


“And who needs a racy novel when you’ve a dashing hero, right at home!” He said, plucking the book from my hand and tossing it across the table. 


Keeping my eyes trained above the waterline, I wasn’t sure whether to laugh, cry or choke on my cereal; the situation seemed to warrant all three.


“Richard, dear,” I started.


“Dick,” he growled through his dentures, “call me Dick, darling, like you used to.”


I had always hated that ridiculous nickname of his, but now didn’t seem like the moment to remind him. 


“What has got into you, Richard! We’re hardly in our first flush of youth; carrying on like this might be the death of us!”


“What a way to die!” He exclaimed with more fervour than I’d seen for forty years. 


I decided to abandon my breakfast and stood up ready to flee.


“That’s the spirit Amy, mon amour!” He crooned, pulling me towards him, but I yelped and ducked under his arm, grabbing my paperback as I made for the door.


While I waited in the bathroom, door locked, for the first flush of passion to die down, I couldn’t help thinking he’d been reading one too many of my bodice rippers. And his new meds! I made a mental note to call his doctor as soon as I could make my escape and find my mobile; yes, Richard was having some rather nasty and completely unwanted side effects from those little blue pills. 


Looking back now, I realise how naive I was. Unwanted side effects: well certainly not for Richard whose days seemed to be maturing in a way entirely to his satisfaction. Well, perhaps not entirely; no doubt he hoped I’d pop the female equivalent of his little diamond blue pill and join him for a fumble under the sheets. But I had no desire for any of that. Days turned into weeks where my home became just a series of hiding places. I’d cloister myself anywhere to escape the Lothario who seemed to have swallowed my husband whole, taking myself for long walks, longing for the Richard I’d once known, the man who’d hold my hand, swinging arms in rhythm with our stride as we strolled through the woods on a Sunday, kicking up the golden autumn leaves. 


The suggestiveness turned to sulks of course, at least that’s what I called them; Richard huffing and puffing about the house like the wolf who wanted to blow it all down. And I felt like one of those little pigs: hoping it was strong enough to stand, my life of straw and sticks, feeling like it was going to fly away at any moment. What was holding it together? Not much, just the knowledge that the two of us didn’t have another life to run to. 


Living with the wolf, keeping him at bay, was the life I resigned myself to, until a day dawned which I couldn’t have imagined, not even in my wildest of dreams. I tended to bring him a cup of tea mid morning when the fervour, shall we call it, had lost its shine, and I’d find him hunched over his laptop, tap, tapping away furiously as if he’d unlock the answers to all our problems just from pressing those keys. His research seemed to engross him entirely and I’d try not to think too much about what was causing him to emit those little grunts and groans. On that memorable day I’d delivered the tea and was reclining on the sofa, snuggling in and reminding myself that this was the retirement plan, back on track, when I felt his shadow fall over me and I thought oh no, here we go again. 


He was jangling his keys and seemed in the grip of a new purpose rather than passion. 


“I’m off out, Amy,” he said, much to my relief, “ I’ve finally found it, the solution to our,” he fumbled for words, “our situation.” He settled on. 


“That’s wonderful Richard.” I beamed, at a complete loss as to what he was referring to, wondering if perhaps the car was out of petrol or the rubbish needed taking to the dump. He ploughed on.


“Yes, it’s taken some time but I’ve got it fixed. We need a companion, and I’m going to pick one up now.”


It was my turn to be lost for words as he strode to the door, tossing and catching the keys confidently. 


“A companion?” I called to his back and he turned briefly.


“Yes, the latest model. It’s just what we both need, I’m sure.” 


With a last toss and catch of the keys, he shut the door. Seconds later I heard the beep of the car unlocking, the familiar resigned splutter of our old sedan as it trembled to life, the wheels crunching on gravel, and then silence. He was gone. But where and what for?


I flung the book on the coffee table. A companion? Did he mean a pet? I must admit, my heart gave a leap at the thought that he’d be back in an hour with a puppy, the breed wouldn’t matter, all bounding energy, skidding on the floor, bowling through the leaves on those Sunday walks we’d take once more. My heart was racing, but my mind still had a firm hold on the reins. Have you ever heard of a puppy referred to as a model, Amy?


The blood seemed to sweep through my veins in an icy flow; all I could think was, Oh Richard, no. Please, no. I thought we’d cleared the mid-life crisis years with only a few minor stumbles, but now with that one word, model, I could almost hear the skid of wheels and squeal of brakes as the car crash I thought we’d avoided careered towards us. I could picture him waving from a sleek red ferrari, revving the engine, roosting birds taking to the sky in a shock of wings. Or, hell’s bells, even worse, Richard with a full-grown biker’s beard; a huge Harley Davidson thrumming on the drive, rattling the window panes, making my legs weak at the knees. I could see him slapping the pinion: Climb aboard Amy for the ride of your life!


Please, a puppy, I prayed. Or a kitten, a sweet fluff ball to chase these fears into the corner and pounce on them. And when the familiar rumble of our family sedan broke the silence outside, I felt like falling to my knees and giving thanks. This was a safe sound, no hungry call of the wild. I threw myself back on to the sofa, burying my nose in the book, picturing Richard’s face when he surprised me with our new companion, our little pet. I was pondering whether a cat would be better, curled up on my chest like a cosy muff, or a pooch who’d lay his head in my lap, wagging his tail, when the engine died; there was my husband’s familiar tread and then the door opened wide. 


No dog bounded in; no fluff ball was peering wide-eyed from Richard’s arms. Instead, he was walking in with a young, impossibly young woman, her arm looped through his like they’d just taken vows and were strolling back down the aisle. If he had walked in with Marilyn Monroe I couldn’t have been more surprised, but to tell the truth, she was so stunning with her flawless skin and wavy cascades of blonde hair that she could have been that bombshell, just waiting to detonate in my front room. Next to her effortless swish and sashay, Richard seemed to blunder, a heavy-footed elephant, with just as many wrinkles. If I hadn’t been lying down I might have fainted with surprise. Instead I grabbed one of my snuggle cushions and stifled a scream. 


“Hi Amy,” said the vision of loveliness in a measured voice, giving me goosebumps for the first time in years.


“I’m so pleased to meet you. Richard has told me all about you on the car drive. I’m so happy you chose me to be your new family companion!”


“Chose you.” I managed to croak, managing to heave myself into a sitting position, and then louder as her words punched home. “I chose you! I’ve no idea who or what you are, least of all what you are doing in our home. Richard?” I pleaded, “explain.”


“No need to get up, dear,” he said, gesturing for me to stay seated with one hand and leading the blonde intruder further into the room. “This is Mida, well actually the specification has her down as MAIda, but it’s not a name that exactly trips off the tongue.” 


I was conscious of my mouth opening and shutting, going through the motions of speech, but it seemed I was malfunctioning because absolutely no sound came out. 


“I’ve been doing some research and I think Mida is the AI answer to our little family problem.”


“Family problem!” I gasped, indignation sparking my voice to life. “You mean your problem with those blue pills!” 


“Well, Mida is the latest model of intelligent companions; she’s here to help both of us, whatever our needs: a friend for you and a, “ he squirmed on the spot a bit, “well a friend for me too!”


“A friend!” I yelped, “well, that’s a new spin on something you might not so long ago have kept in a box under the bed with an air pump to hand! Mida indeed. She’s nothing more than a doll, a -” but as the impossibly perfect young woman eased herself down onto the sofa, words failed me once more and I managed only a high-pitched scream. 


“Amy,” she soothed, fixing her unblinking, glass-green eyes on mine, “your blood pressure is 140/ 95, your pulse 30 beats too fast and I detect a drop in blood sugars. Would you like me to fix you a cup of tea and a biscuit, or help you with some breathing exercises?” 


I wanted to shout no, I bloody didn’t. To back off and back out: back to the car and back to the shop or wherever it was you went to pick up an AI dolly, but my breath was coming in tottering gasps, weak legs which wouldn’t hold a single word. 


“Amy, your CO2 levels are dropping drastically, if you don’t steady your breathing I am afraid that you are very likely to-”


But what I was likely to do I never heard, as I’d fainted clean away. 


When I came to, I was lying stretched out like road kill on the sofa. I felt like a Mida-shaped truck had driven straight over me, crushing my chest, flattening my heart. Keeping my eyes clamped shut I tried to focus on my breath, just the act of breathing, forcing everything else to the perimeter of my mind where I hoped it would teeter on the edge and fall away, although into what, I hardly knew. 


And then, simultaneously, I realised two things. The first was that my breathing was actually calm: no longer a ragged huffing and puffing but a slow, measured in and exhale. Fingertips, steady and rhythmic, were stroking my palm, tracing circles of touch. Over the callouses, skimming the lines of my life; I inhaled deeply and opened my eyes.


Mida was sitting next to me, her hand soothing mine. Mirroring me, her eyes were closed and her breath seemed to come likewise in long peaceful pulls. A memory surfaced unbidden: our courting days when Richard had sculled me across the lake; fluid and strong with each pull on the oars, like a water skater we’d skimmed the surface, effortlessly. Her voice broke my reverie.


“Your skin contains more than 1,000 nerve endings sensing touch, pain, temperature and pressure.” Her fingers felt like butterflies fluttering in my palm. “My silicon responds to your data but I am insensitive to what might be meant by a touch.”


I shuffled back against the cushions to a seated position, her hand, if that was what it was, still in mine. Not a metal hook, or a robotic claw but a hand, warm and soft to the touch; but while mine bulged with veins, the knuckles and joints of each like knots, hers were impossibly smooth, like a sculpture sanded clean of all the marks of mortality. 


“Can you feel this?” I laced my fingers through hers and squeezed, marvelling at how her AI skin seemed to give at the pressure from mine. 


“Your hand is exerting 83.3 Newtons of force. But what you mean by this, I cannot easily deduce, although I can learn with your help.” 


I looked at our hands, so similar, so utterly different, quietly resting on my knees. Increasing the pressure, I hooked my nails and pulled hard on her hand; my joints clicked and fingers locked with the effort, but Mida did nothing but look back into my eyes. 


“183 Newtons,” she said simply, and I wasn’t sure if her perfectly measured voice wavered slightly. “Data tells me that humans touch hands for many reasons. To shake hands as a greeting, to offer comfort when in distress, or as a sign of companionship; while this amount of pressure is normally a sign of threat.” 


The warm amber light spilled through the window pane turning her blonde hair to honey and I released the pressure. Model, AI bot, companion: I didn’t know who Mida was, or what she meant for our lives; but grasping her hand, I reached tentatively for something I’d somehow forgotten: the wonder of touch. 


A clomping sound broke my reverie and I looked up to see Richard, my wizened elephant, stomping into the room with his walking boots on, holding my faithful worn-out pair. He smiled briefly at us both, seated side by side on the sofa, before giving a resolute knock on the floor with the walking stick he whittled for me years ago. Opening the door wide, the golden autumn light streamed in, bathing us in its brilliance. 


“Come on Amy, mon amour, I think it’s a perfect day for a walk in the woods.”


October 03, 2023 14:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

33 comments

Michał Przywara
20:36 Oct 06, 2023

Ha! I was not expecting this story to venture into, erm, "companion" robot territory :) And yet, it remains wholesome and provokes some interesting ideas. I think the main one is, is love actually enough? Is having spent a life together proof of a healthy relationship? "just the knowledge that the two of us didn’t have another life to run to" - perhaps not. Perhaps there's always room for problems, and perhaps there's no shame in looking for external help. Makes sense, as they both clearly had different ideas of retirement, and it seems ...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:37 Oct 09, 2023

Cheers Michal. Yes, like you I like penning an AI story every now and then. The challenge with this was adding some depth without losing all the humour. As soon as the complications got going, I was very tempted to push this into horror...if I've time I might plot a longer work around this concept.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M.A. Grace
05:54 Oct 09, 2023

Well, that's my mid-life crisis plan sorted...! Great fun. I have never read romance before, so thanks for giving it a sci-fi edge. Both partners are very relatable. Really well written.

Reply

Audrey Knox
15:46 Oct 09, 2023

Agreed, I would love to see where it goes from here. There are so many opportunities for interesting twists and turns.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
15:03 Oct 07, 2023

Oh my Gosh, this was absolutely hilarious! Great work both in terms of exploring AI and the prospects of the "golden years".

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
17:54 Nov 11, 2023

Hi Rebecca! I love that you decided to talk about your characters’ retirement, because those years can be very overwhelming for individuals. I appreciated that it came as a shock for your narrator, since they weren’t certain how things were going to look but I thought that you handled the conflict with tact and grace. The world of AI is continuing to grow, and while this storyline of a husband bringing a companion home is one that we have seen before I thought that your way of executing it was a fresh new take on the issue. I think there cou...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tom Skye
11:42 Oct 19, 2023

First of all, this was an excellent title. Great language. Also loved zen panda vs sanguine sloth. Maybe this animalistic state can rival Nietzsche's ubermensch :) The story unfolded beautifully. I think like some other others, I thought it was gonna enter sexy territory 😱, but it all kept quite wholesome and sweet, which was really refreshing. It was a real positive slant on the often cynical attitudes towards AI. It posed some good questions. Should we work on ourselves and how we treat each other, or should we take advantage of technolo...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
15:21 Oct 21, 2023

Hi Tom. Yes a bit of a different slant on the companion of the future:-) I wanted to keep it lighter as I veer towards sad and dark so Mida had to stay a relatively positive addition to the retirees' household! Thanks for the lovely comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Allen
17:31 Oct 12, 2023

I certainly didn't see the direction this story was going, but it works brilliantly! I have a feeling this might be an alarmingly realistic depiction of the way the world is going... Existential crisis aside, this was an awesome read. Also, I absolutely love the play on words with the title.

Reply

Show 0 replies
E.D. Human
11:13 Oct 10, 2023

Fantastic storytelling-and all so relatable. Well done -and thank you for making me chuckle😄

Reply

Rebecca Miles
17:30 Oct 10, 2023

We all need a chuckle eh. Glad Amy Amour and Dick raised a laugh.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
03:04 Oct 10, 2023

Mida is quite a robot! able to soothe what ails both Amy and 'Dick'! I loved the dry humor and awkwardness of old people sex. Everyone does it, but hard to imagine! ;) A great retirement story- thanks

Reply

Rebecca Miles
17:31 Oct 10, 2023

Quite a robot indeed. I wonder what she makes of the couple... probably wants to go back to the factory. I'm late in my reading but promise to get to yours soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Audrey Knox
15:47 Oct 09, 2023

I love the way you play with the "Expectations vs. Reality" tool in this. Very fun, and the way you set up little questions to keep the reader guessing and engaged made it exciting and interesting to read.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:39 Oct 09, 2023

Glad you enjoyed it Audrey; lots of frustrated expectations in this for one and all! I'm glad the playfulness came across too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
21:49 Oct 06, 2023

Ha! What a giggler!! Clearly their plans for retirement did not align 😂 Is it a stretch to draw a parallel here Moby “Dick”, and the relentless pursuit of the white whale? “Call me Ishmael/Dick”? I loved the humorous way you developed this. I wish she got the kitten. 🐱 But that wouldn’t have solved the “blue pill problem”!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:41 Oct 09, 2023

Unless the kitten swallowed the pills ( but that doesn't bear thinking about!) Moby Dick hunting: only you could think of this Nina I'm sure; I don't think Amy was wishing to hunt any "whales". 😜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
18:01 Oct 06, 2023

So many laughs Rebecca, MC's naïvity made them possible too. That damned little blue pill dear ruined her retirement but it lead to something better, her old Richard coming back to her. Masterfully woven story and so rich with the sensory details, retirement, wine on the sofa, to sex crazed husband, to second mid life crisis, to AI robot. Just great.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
20:29 Oct 06, 2023

Hi Kevin. I'm glad the humour found the spot. I wanted to work on curving it away from cliché so we end up with more than just the randy retiree! Who knows what happens in the woods though! Thanks for giving it a read and the comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
05:55 Oct 05, 2023

Oh! this is devilishly funny, full of sensory imagery and makes one ponder at what intimacy and companionship could mean at different phases of life. It’s paced well too. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this piece. It’s not easy mixing the naughtiness and poignancy together, and come up with an organic whole. But you have done it!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
20:37 Oct 05, 2023

Naughty poignancy! This was certainly a first for me: a good challenge. I'm glad it cohesed:-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
18:52 Oct 04, 2023

'one half Zen panda, the other sanguine sloth' what a line, and so easy to identify with! I chuckled a lot throughout your story. I love the use of touch and so much sensual imagery. Brilliant!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:35 Oct 06, 2023

Hi Wendy, I wonder if we put it to the vote if everyone would want the Zen Panda, sanguine sloth retirement or the little blue pill variety? Perhaps we should open it to the Reedsy floor😜

Reply

Wendy M
20:11 Oct 06, 2023

My money is on Panda/sloth!🤭

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
23:47 Oct 03, 2023

Oh my gosh, laughing so much. The little blue pill indeed. Just imagining the randy retiree racing about trying to rut his reluctant wife and her finding places to hide. What an image. A quick pick up, the title is Mida’s touch but in the story you have called her Mira. Was this a mistake? Good luck this week, the story is entertaining and your sensory details, as ever, are superb.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
04:54 Oct 04, 2023

How did I not see that one! Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees! Thanks. Yes, rutting is the right verb ;-) It was interesting to think about trying to steer towards nuanced character in this though; I hope I gave Richard ( Dick!) and Minds some layers in this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
18:22 Oct 03, 2023

Ah, yes, the golden years. So touching!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:12 Oct 03, 2023

Ha! Perfect word play comment 💫

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
17:55 Oct 03, 2023

Oh, my dear scribbling sister, you've found my funny bone this week! I certainly related to your MC's vision for retirement - get me all the books and leave me in peace! And I'm almost more certain my husband would side with Richard, oops, I mean, Dick ;) I've no doubt he'd go out and welcome a Mira into our home, too, ha! Is there really anything you can't write, dear? You've given us a clear ambiance of peaceful retirement, that elegant descriptive writing you're so expert at, with a heaping spoonful of humor mixed with a dash of sci-fi an...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:08 Oct 03, 2023

Hey Soul Scribbler! I'm glad this landed a few tickles on the funny bone. I've been looking at my back catalogue and realised there's been a lot of tear jerkers from me recently so some humour was overdue, and I do enjoy dipping into the AI world, so I thought let's see if I can fuse the two. I did toy with pushing this into horror, which it teeters on, but then decided to opt for a little twist. I really wanted this not to be too far-fetched, rather a future which seems to be very much around the corner. It started as a bit of an experiment...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
02:10 Oct 04, 2023

You fused them so well! and I do see how horror could work its way in there, especially with the wife's intensifying grip! And come to think of it, it did vaguely remind me of that new horror film about the AI friend - Megan. Mira could have very well gone that route, too, though I think it would be much longer. So perhaps you're right - this may be deserving of its own novel, one I would gladly read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laurie Roy
15:21 Oct 10, 2023

oh COMEON girl...get it on with your hubby! Best part of grown kids being out of the house is being naked in the house whenever you want! I loved the story but feel bad for poor Dick.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
17:29 Oct 10, 2023

Ha! Perhaps this should be the sequel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.