Eline's Story - Swept by the Wind

Submitted into Contest #240 in response to: Begin your story with the sensation of a breeze brushing against a character's skin.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Fantasy Fiction

Submitted into Contest #240. THE WIND 

Begin your story with the sensation of a breeze bushing against a character’s skin.


Eline’s Story – Swept by the Wind.


Eline felt the sensation of a breeze brushing against her skin as she opened the back door to let Snoopy out into the garden. Then, just as she bent down to pick up Snoopy, there was an unexpected crash of thunder. The force of a strong gust of wind swept open the gate, and a terrified Snoopy ran out into the street.


"Snoopy come back!” Eline shouted in vain, as Snoopy disappeared from sight. But, Snoopy kept running as fast as her four legs could carry her.


The sky above looked dark and threatening. Eline felt the first drops of rain falling on her head as dense clouds were swept by the wind towards the craggy mountain peaks behind her home.


The lofty Pine trees growing on the mountainside alongside her house had started swaying as the wind picked up speed. Clumps of dead pine needles spiraled in different directions with the power of the rushing air behind her. The wind ripped the street sign from the pole next to the gate, and sent it flying through the air, leaving the pole creaking and swinging like an old rocking chair.


Eline raced after Snoopy. But Snoopy was nowhere to be found. Tears rolled down her cheeks. Eline posted the details and photo of Snoopy online.


“Missing Pet – with white eyebrows, white beard, short black coat. Answers to the name Snoopy.” She’d also posted flyers at the local veterinary clinics.


Two days later, Eline received an intercom call from a visitor at the gate.

“Pete here from down the road. I’ve found your missing pet”.

It was a beautiful day, with not a breath of wind. Wisps of silver clouds floated above the majestic Pine Trees that provided shade from the burning heat of the mid-summer sun.


Eline felt overwhelmed with relief, as she opened the gate. Pete was holding a bedraggled Snoopy in his arms. He was wearing blue jeans and a matching tee shirt. He looked quite handsome with the wind blowing through his grey hair.


“Do come in” she said, as Pete handed over her beloved pet.

“I should never have let Snoopy out into the garden. I have only got myself to blame.” Eline explained. “Everyone knows how notoriously unpredictable the South- Easter is when it starts blowing. It usually brings good weather, with clear skies. But today it was a ‘black South-Easter and I never expected the thunder.”


Pete gave a reassuring smile, then pointed to Snoopy. “She’s had a drink of water but I’m sure she’s pretty hungry.”

Eline nodded. “Where did you find her?”

“She arrived at my front door” he answered, as Eline led him through the entrance hall into the kitchen.


“Have a seat,” Eline said as she topped up Snoopy’s bowl with pellets.

“Sugar?” Eline had just filled Pete’s cup with boiling water.

“No thanks. I’m diabetic”.

“My husband was also diabetic,” Eline said quietly. “He died 6 months ago.”

Pete was silent for a moment. “I’m sorry to hear that. My wife died a year ago. I was devastated. I’m growing accustomed to the loneliness.”


Then he abruptly changed the subject. “Do you enjoy playing Scrabble?” he asked, pointing at the worn cardboard Scrabble box on the kitchen table.


The table was cluttered with the Daily newspaper, a cookery book, playing cards, and the Scrabble box.


“Yes, I regularly played with my son, Craig, before he left to study in the UK. He generally beat me. Would you like to play a game?”


“I haven’t played for years. But I’ll be happy to let you beat me at a game.” Pete said with a grin, as they started unpacking the lettered Scrabble tiles.


“The South-Easter was so strong it forced open the gate and Snoopy got out,” Eline said, as she laid the lettered tiles face down on the table.


“Did you know that the South-Easter can reach 120 km/h?”


Pete nodded. “Yes. The early settlers to the Western Cape believed that the South-Easter blew away illnesses. They called the wind ‘The Cape Doctor’. The countless shipwrecks along the Cape Peninsula coastline are a testimony to the notorious and unpredictable winds in this part of the Western Cape.”


Pete started picking up tiles from the pool of tiles on the table. “That’s why it’s called the Cape of Storms” he added wryly. “Your turn to start playing .”


4 months later.


“Who’s the guy with the silver Porche that’s been taking you out? He’s not bad looking” Eline was chatting to Magda over the fence.


A hot, dry Berg wind was blowing, and the weather was unusually warm, for the time of year.


“Oh! Do you mean Pete? He lives down the road.”


“Are you dating?”


“I wish!!” Eline shook her head. “No, we’re just friends. His wife died suddenly a year ago, and I think he’s quite lonely. He’s got a great sense of humor. Beat me at Scrabble again last week. He’s invited me to go kite-sailing this afternoon if the wind allows.” Eline smiled shyly as she felt the sensation of the warm Bergwind brushing against her skin.


Over the next six months, what had started out as a casual friendship with Pete, started to blossom into a deeper, more meaningful relationship.


Then Eline’s son, Craig returned home on holiday, from studying abroad.

“He’s refused to have anything to do with Pete.” Eline confided to Magda.

“Told me he understands that I need to live my own life, but he doesn’t want to hear about Pete”.


“After losing Dad, feels like I’ve now lost both parents. I don’t want to be involved. I don’t want to meet him!” Craig told her coldly, as he shut his bedroom door, leaving his shattered mother in tears, standing alone in the passage. He’d put up a defensive wall. This could have a crushing impact on her relationship with Pete.


She waited nervously for Pete to arrive. “How am I going to handle this?” she asked herself at he greeted her.


“There’s something I need to tell you,” Pete told Eline the following week, as he unpacked the Scrabble tiles and laid them on the kitchen table.

 “Please don’t take offense, but I don’t enjoy playing ‘hide-and-seek’ with Craig.”

Pete looked earnestly at Eline. “It’s your turn to play.”


‘What can I say.” Eline whispered. “He’s my only son. He’s really struggling with seeing me in a relationship with someone else. It’s too soon after his father’s death. I have no choice.”


“I do understand. But it doesn’t work for me.”


Pete didn’t stay long after the game had finished. He kissed Eline on the cheek, then bent down and gave Snoopy one last pat, before he left. Eline felt as if her world had been torn apart.


As he waved goodbye, Eline gazed at the dying golden embers that still lit up the sky along the craggy peaks above her house.


Eline switched on the TV to listen to the weather forecast for the Western Cape. An alarm about the Helderberg fire nearby had been posted on social media.

“Predicted temperatures for the next few days are in the high 30s. There are multiple fires burning out of control due to high winds and turbulence near the mountains. Strong gale-force winds are expected tonight, with a drop in winds tomorrow morning.”


 A year had gone by since Eline had last heard from Pete. It was the start of another fire season.


“Can’t blame yourself” Magda said. “Think about it. How would you have felt if Pete’s son told you off, and said he wanted nothing to do with you. Why don’t you just give Pete a call?”


Eline hesitated “Maybe he’ll put the phone down on me.”


“Believe in yourself,” Magda said, shaking her head as Eline turned to go back into her house.


Eline picked up her cellular phone and entered Pete’s number.

“Hi Pete, do you feel like coming over for a game of Scrabble?”


There was a moment of silence. “I’ll be happy to let you beat me at a game. Just give me five minutes …” 


The wind had started to drop. The last rays of the setting sun lit up the clouds in hues of pink, purple, and mauve, as they swept across the sky. Eline felt the sensation of a gentle breeze brushing against her skin as she opened the gate. 

March 07, 2024 09:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.