The Silent Hunt

Submitted into Contest #94 in response to: Start your story with someone accepting a dare.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction


“How? …….. how?” “Why did I come here? “ “Is this how my life will end?” 

                          “Too bad Jake, it can be helped” “Stab! Stab! Stab!”


September 20th 20XX: 9 unsolved murders have occurred. All nine members were males. There are 3 children and 4 men. All the cases seem connected. No one knows who the killer is and no one has ever seen the killer in action. The police are starting to call whoever it is, “The Silent Killer”.


“Ugh, they never have any good news in this town,” said Abby. “Jake, come eat, dinner’s ready”. “Mom, what do you think about what's going on,” said Jake. “Well, I think that there is a lot of stuff going on and you should stay inside the house. We don’t know who the killer is or why he/she is targeting males. So please, just stay inside for your own good” said Abby. “Okay, mom”


September 21st 20XX: “Damon, have you heard the news about the “Silent Killer”? said Jake.

 “Oh yeah, I heard about it yesterday. Well, I was planning on going over the information online about the killer to figure out who it is,” said Damon.

“Yeah same but, I can’t go out because my mom is scared that I might be endangered,” said Jake. “Well then, I guess I can’t dare you to find the killer anymore,” said Damon.

Jake’s heart skipped a beat. He never lost a dare before. He was the kind of guy who would go through with a dare even if his life was on the line. 


“Damon,” Jake said whilst panting. “There is absolutely no way, I could and would ever lose to you. I simply cannot!” he said. “We can both do the research and share our findings with each other. Then, we can split up and find out the rest by ourselves.” 

“Yeah, that sounds smart,” said Damon. “I’ll call you in five days so that we both have some time to figure things and go over our research” 

“Okay, bye,” said Jake.


September 26th 20XX: “So far, I know that the killer has killed 3 boys and 4 men. The police suspect that the killer is most likely a male.” said Jake. “But, I don’t get it, if his victims are all males, does that mean he has some kinda beef with males?” he said. 

“Well, I’m not sure. But, the three boys that were killed definitely go to our school. The males on the other hand have no connection whatsoever apart from their last three locations being close to the school” said Damon.

“Ok, thanks. So, I guess this is where we split up then” he said.


September 29 20XX: Jake goes to open the door. He finds a package at his doorstep. He picks up the package and puts it on the kitchen table. He then picks up a kitchen knife to open the box. Inside the box, he finds a picture of Damon. The picture shows that Damon has been stabbed with a knife and, he's missing a finger. Jake looked in the box and found what was left of Damon’s finger. He screams and throws the finger across the room. On the back of the picture, the letters C.D. were written on it. 


After 10 minutes, Jake was finally able to pick up the phone and dialed 9-1-1. It took about five minutes for the police to arrive. His house was then turned into a crime scene. There was yellow tape everywhere. He was asked to leave the house so that they could fully examine the scene. Jake’s mom comes to her home turned into a crime scene and freaks out. She asked the cops if something happened to Jake.


Jake saw his mom talking to the cops and he ran towards to her. He explained what happened to his mom. She started to blame herself. Stating that she should have stayed at home with him or taken him to her location. She hugged her son whilst crying. One of the officers, Officer Burns told Abby (Jake’s mom) that they would have to move or stay in the police station so that they would be safe. Abby was freaking out, a killer sent her son a photo of his friend who was now dead. She would do anything to protect her son.


Jake shouted, “This house has been in our family for a long time. My great-great-grandfather built this house and my father renovated it. It has been passed down for generations, there is no way I would leave this place.” he said.

 “Son, your life is far too important. I can’t let you stay here knowing that a murder knows where we live.” Abby said. "The person definitely knows who you are and has most likely marked you as a target for their next victim," she said.

“I won’t leave, I’ll die here if I have to.” said Jake. After a few minutes of the debate, Officer Burns suggested that the police officers could take turns guarding the house. With no other choice, Abby decided to side with Officer Burns; who was relieved that he didn’t have to listen to the debate anymore, and left.


October 6th 20XX: A piece of paper was slid under the door. Jake found it and read it. Written on the paper was a note telling Jake to come and meet him/her at a farm. It was signed, “The Silent Killer”. Jake started to freak out but he slowly began to feel some sort of excitement. He could finally see who the “Silent Killer” was. The person that killed his friend and 7 others. 


October 6th 20XX - (5:00 pm): Jake got to the farm. He saw the back view of the Silent Killer. The “Silent Killer” wasn’t as tall as he expected and was about the same height as Jake. The back view of the “Silent Killer (SK)” looked identical to that of his friend Damon. Due to Jake's observation, he concluded that the SK was indeed a male. The SK asked if Jake came alone. Jake nodded.


The SK invited Jake into his home. Jake remembered seeing this house before. The house belonged to Damon’s family. Jake started to think, “how did the SK get the house, how come the cops didn’t find out.” The SK took off his mask. Jake gasped.


The person behind the mask was Damon. This left Jake in a puzzled state. He yelled, “Aren’t you supposed to be dead? Are you still alive, or, are you a ghost?” 

Damon laughed, “ If I wasn’t me how do you think I was able to get inside the house.”

Jake asked, “Are you the one who killed all those people?”

Damon said yes, without batting an eye. Jake shouted, “Why did you kill all those people? What did they ever do to you?”

Damon replied, “ The 3 kids stole something that was mine and the men just annoyed me”

Jake shouted, “You killed 7 people just because they pissed you off?”

Damon said, “ Well, that’s not the only reason. Two of the adult victims killed my mom so they had to pay for what they did. The other two men just pissed me off.” “And as I said, the three kids stole something that belonged to me."


Slowly, Jake began to realize something. He was in a room with a serial killer, who was his best friend. Jake decided to flee, but, Damon just laughed. He said, “you thought I was just going to let you go after that?” He chuckled, “I gave you this much info and you thought you could just waltz out of here? You must think I’m an amateur.” Jake heard a scraping sound. He slowly turned around and saw Damon holding a knife.


With all his might, Jake tried to break the door but it didn’t work. He ran to find a window but all the windows were locked. He panicked. He could hear Damon humming. Damon shouted, “I love it when they try to hide even though deep inside, they know that there is no escape.” Hearing that, Jake ran into one of the rooms and hid under the bed. In a matter of seconds, Damon reached the room and dragged him. Damon dragged Jake into the trunk of his car.


He drove for about an hour and came to a stop. When Jake got out of the car, all he saw was land. He could feel that his life was coming to an end. Wanting to waste no more of his time, Damon started to dig Jake’s grave. Stating he owed it to Jake for being a good friend. After he was done digging the grave, he stabbed Jack once. 


Jake thought, “How did it come to this. My best friend is literally stabbing me in the back.” “How? …how?” “Why did I come here? " “Is this how my life will end?” he thought.


Jake thought, “How did it come to this. My best friend is literally stabbing me in the back.” “How? …how?” “Why did I come here? “ “Is this how my life will end?” he thought.


 “Too bad Jake, it can be helped,” said Damon. “Stab! Stab! Stab!”


February 20XX, a couple of months after Jake’s death his body was found. “Will the authorities figure out who killed him? What about his mom?”


May 22, 2021 02:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.