Contest #208 shortlist ⭐️

82 comments

Funny Romance Drama

                                                                              Raise high the roofbeams, carpenters.

                                                                              Like Ares comes the bridegroom,

                                                                             Taller far than a tall man.

                                                                                                                  Sappho

Life in the Danforth household wasn’t perfect, but it was as near to dammit as could be expected by any reasonable definition of the adjective. Harold Danforth was happy to accrue large amounts of money from his investments in real estate, he was well pleased with his daughter, and he was quite fond of his wife. Placidity ruled the roost, with nary a tempest in sight.

Until today.

Patricia Danforth, his better half – according to his better half – had been on a mission in recent months. Her daughter needed a husband. Desdemona disagreed in principle, though her heart was open to the tender ministrations of manly solicitude. No arguments ensued concerning this matter, though there were baleful glares. Yelling and recriminations never followed, nor sulky silence. Miniscule ripples in the pond. Eventually, as do all ripples in all ponds, they disappeared. Life returned to normal.

Until today.

Mother Patricia had invited a young man for dinner, and she made it clear that Desdemona was to be in attendance. Further, she was also to be on her best behavior and wear a dress that accentuated a figure she didn’t have. Desdemona remonstrated. Yelling ensued, causing Harold Danforth to retreat to his office and continue working on this week’s edition of Kooky Crosswords. Ripples accrue.

Desdemona stomped out of the house, laptop in hand, and toward one of her favorite sanctuaries: Kelly’s Java Hut. A drive of three miles accomplished the twin objectives of getting Desdemona to her well-lighted and well-patronized hideaway, and to disperse her anger. To further alleviate the latter symptom, she ordered decaffeinated coffee.

Only one table remained when she got her coffee. Desdemona grabbed it and opened her laptop. She had been staring at a blank screen for five minutes before she noticed a man standing in front of her. She traded staring at a blank screen for staring at the man.

“May I sit here?”

Desdemona frowned. She wanted to be alone. Casting about the room, Desdemona saw that the only free seat in the establishment was the one the man wanted. With a slight gesture, she invited the man to sit.

One of the things that Desdemona despised was small talk. She didn’t care to chat about the weather, politics, inflation, or what a cute dog that man in the corner had. Right now, for example, she wanted to sit and contemplate her next novel.

Desdemona’s Cowgirls in Love series was a modest success, garnering her a high five figures per book. Though she wasn’t in the same league as Danielle Steel or Nora Roberts, she still made a comfortable living. The demographics of her audience showed that she had a durable audience for at least the next two decades. Women approaching middle age adored her writing.

Desdemona found it rather disheartening that most of these women were married; this cast a dim light over the whole romance-for-life thing. Her parents, likewise, weren’t so much in love as they were sparring partners, jabbing at each other with marshmallow words. This was always done behind closed doors, and Desdemona knew of this because she was a shameless eavesdropper.

Desdemona attributed her lack of any permanent relationship to these two factors. Married women shouldn’t need romance novels to stimulate their lives, and her parents shouldn’t need to gently pick at each other to show their devotion.

The man seated across from her hadn’t uttered a word throughout Desdemona’s ruminations. This irritated her. She understood that it was hypocritical to be irritated, given her views on small talk, but now she felt as if she were being shunned in favor of – something else.

“There’s a seat at the bar, if you’re interested,” Desdemona said, unsmiling and a little miffed.

The man looked at her. He was smiling, which made Desdemona not smile even more.

“Why would I want to do that? I’m sitting across from the prettiest girl in the room.”

Desdemona gazed at the man for a moment. A smile tugged at the corners of her lips, but she wasn’t yet willing to release the hounds.

“Hmm. Has that line ever worked?”

The stranger cocked his head slightly.

“Scores of times, when I said it to my mother.”

Desdemona couldn’t help but smile now.

“Touché, good sir. Double points for the mother reference.”

They sat in companionable silence for another five minutes before Desdemona felt the need to speak. The man had become an itch that she needed to scratch. So to speak.

“You are unusually quiet for a table companion. What gives?”

The man again cocked his head before speaking. Desdemona found it cute.

“You seemed deep in thought. Didn’t want to disturb.”

“Indeed. And I was deep in thought.”

“Ah.”

“I was wondering how my parents, lovely people though they are, ever got together long enough to produce me. I can’t see it, myself.”

The man let out a rich, resonant laugh, one that reminded Desdemona of Garrick, her first literary creation. Garrick wooed and married a poor cowgirl, upending the status quo of the era and celebrating the true meaning of love. They went on to live, of course, happily ever after. Desdemona knew it was tripe when she wrote it, and was amazed that a publisher wanted to print it. But the publisher did. So far, she had penned six books in the series, each one selling moderately better than the last.

“Nor can I, thankfully,” the man responded quietly.

Desdemona found the stranger’s laugh pleasant and forthright. An honest laugh, a laugh that reminded one of substantial picnic fare and lazy evenings on the veranda. Desdemona didn’t believe in love at first sight, but she was beginning to believe in attraction at first laugh.

“You have a name, sir? I wish to know the possessor of such a good laugh and witty tongue.”

“I am blessed with three names. The first name is Jarod. I’ll reserve the other two names for future use. A little mystery in a relationship’s good, don’t you think?”

Desdemona noted the smile. A veritable sunrise with teeth, a lighted path with gums, a solar source between stubbled cheeks. Desdemona was heartened by the smile, and even happier that the man was not handsome. Ugly men, she believed, were more honest, worked harder, and appreciated women without an hourglass figure.

Desdemona admitted to herself that she didn’t have an hourglass figure. It could be likened more to an apple sitting atop an eggplant, the whole lot balanced precariously on two carrots. Desdemona searched for a fruit or vegetable that could describe her boobs, but nothing came to mind. Grapes seemed too big and raisins seemed too small and wrinkly. She left off thinking about her boobs, returning her attention to Jarod.

“Oh? So we have a relationship going on now, do we? You move fast.”

Jarod smiled and leaned forward slightly.

“Only as fast as I need to be.”

“I see. So, now that we’re in a relationship, I can be blunt in my addresses to you. First, don’t call me beautiful. Second, my name is Desdemona, which you didn’t even ask about, and third, can you come to dinner with me and my family tonight?”

Jarod’s eyes widened slightly – only slightly, mind you – at the invitation.

“I think you’re beautiful, but I’ll respect your wishes. Desdemona, though, is a beautiful name, and, yes, I’d love to meet the parents that somehow, in the dark of the night and within the sacred confines of the marital bed, created such an entrancing progeny.”

“You talk pretty,” Desdemona said. She, in fact, was a little stunned by the outpouring of Jarod’s tongue.

“I blame public education.”

It was Desdemona’s turn to laugh heartily. Her non-hourglass figure jiggled; Jarod admired the look of it. To him, the sight of Desdemona laughing was one of those pleasures that everyone who was skeptical about human nature should see at least once in their benighted life.

Desdemona gave Jarod her address and the time he should be there. He gazed at the address a moment longer than necessary before looking up. Desdemona had already flitted, hieing off to home, hearth, and sober contemplation.

She was smitten, and it scared her.

                                                            **************

Jarod arrived ten minutes early, being of the school of thought that to be early was to be on time. The Danforth household did not adhere to such a heretical doctrine, opting instead for the motto that to be fashionably late was the height of civility.

Because of the clash of philosophy, Jarod was ushered in by a thin-lipped maid and seated next to the father, the only occupant of the room. Harold Danforth paid the boy scant attention, continuing with his attempt at solving this week’s Kooky Crossword. It was well-known among the Danforth family that the father would consider his life complete were he to solve one of these puzzles. The 1000-dollar cash prize meant little to him. He wanted his picture on the Wall Of Fame.

“Hmm. A former member of the Quisite cult,” Harold Danforth murmured. The Kooky Crossword Challenge was, in many respects, like many other crossword puzzles. The difference, however, was that The Kooky Crossword Challenge had twenty clues for twenty words, but it was interspersed with three “Kooky” clues.

Just as Harold uttered the clue aloud, Desdemona came down the stairs. Jarod’s breath caught, a slight gasp escaping his lips.

“Exquisite,” he said, a little too loudly. This is where it gets interesting.

Desdemona felt her heart flutter at the sight of a man she had just met, just as Harold Danforth clapped in glee. Desdemona had never seen her father clap, with glee or otherwise. He seemed happier than usual.

“Exquisite! Ex-Quisite! I commend you, sir!” Harold grabbed Jarod’s hand and pumped it vigorously.

“Um – “ Jarod stopped there. It seemed like the thing to do.

The doorbell immediately rang. A young man was shown in. Gerald Portnoy. Mama Danforth’s prize for her daughter.

Gerald Portnoy had money; he reeked of it, according to the good mama. It was rather unfortunate that he had the face he had. Desdemona thought that God had given the man all the required facial features, but those features had declined to work together in harmony.

His eyes were too close together for his eyebrows, or, conversely, the eyebrows were too far apart for the eyes. He had the correct number of cheeks, but they were pink and chubby, which did nothing to soften the sharp nose and weak chin. Altogether a repulsive face, in Desdemona’s opinion, though he was considered good looking by the standards of the day. Her mother, for example, found that handsomeness correlated perfectly with wealth.

Gerald stopped short when he spied Jarod sitting between Desdemona and Harold. In short, he was confused.

“A breath refresher for ranch hands,” Mr. Danforth murmured, shaking his head at the enigmatic clue. Two of the three kooky clues still evaded him.

“Well, this is a nice arrangement,” Gerald’s weak chin trembled, his cheeks became redder, and he was considering getting his dander up.

“Arrangement?” Jarod said out loud.

“Arrangement! A-range-mint! Stupendous, young man. Simply stupendous!”

Mr. Danforth eyed Jarod with admiration and approval.

“You’ve grown about three feet taller in my dad’s estimation,” Desdemona said to Jarod, her eyes sparkling.

“Perhaps I’ll stoop upon leaving, so as not to bang my head,” Jarod said. He was eyeing his intended rival with alarm. Dandified pretty boys had lost him more than one possible romance.

Mrs. Danforth chose this moment to descend the stairs. As she glided downwards, resplendent in a chiffon evening gown and Italian heels, one could liken her to a battleship in full regalia. Wide and long and sleek, a sight to behold, yet with plenty of ordinance below to quell any impending insurrection. Already, the shells were being loaded and primed.

Jarod was subject to a steely, hard gaze from the mother of his new acquaintance. She stopped briefly on the last step but two, casting an imperious eye over the interloper. Her journey resumed, and she greeted the impeccably-dressed – and rich – Gerald Portnoy with a warmth that belied her natural inclination towards stoicism and ever-so-subtle grimacing.

“Mother, I’d like you to meet Jarod. We haven’t been blessed with a last name as yet. Saving it for the wedding, I suppose,” Desdemona’s eyes gleamed with mischief. Mischief duly arrived.

“Hmm. A mongrel, to be sure. And he’s wearing jeans. How quaint.” Mrs. Danforth turned her attention to young Portnoy.

“Come, sit by me. Tell us all about your portfolio, my dear. Desdemona is ever so interested in how money works,” Mrs. Danforth shot a glare at her daughter.

“Well. Money. Interesting thing, really – “

“Tar, squared,” Mr. Danforth blurted out. He was in a tizzy, for he had never been so close to solving a Kooky Crossword. The last seven years had seen him struggle against the esoteric clues, never quite getting all three. Undeterred, he vowed to continue the struggle until the day was won.

“Harold!” Mrs. Danforth’s voice reached stentorian proportions, as befitted her bulk.

“Yes, m’dear?” Mr. Danforth muttered, paying not the slightest bit of attention to anyone. He was so close he could smell the victory.

“Shall we go in to dinner?” Mrs. Danforth’s word carried the chill of an ice flow in the Arctic regions.

“Excuse my mom, she a bit of a – “

Desdemona left the sentence unfinished. Jarod finished it for her.

“Tartar?”

“Um, yes. I was plumping for ‘bitch in a dress,’ but you get the general meaning.”

“Tartar! Tar times tar! Tartar! I’ve won! I’ve – I’ve – “ It was at this juncture that Mr. Danforth broke down and cried. Wet, large, manly tears invaded his face, wending their way down his cheeks and splashing on the expensive carpet.

Impulsively, he hugged Jarod, and Jarod would swear, later, that his cheek had been kissed. Mr. Danforth pumped his hand with a vigor that had never been known in the house. He hugged the young man again and slapped him on the shoulder.

“You may marry my daughter, young Jericho.”

“Jarod,” Jarod said.

“That’s what I said. Go to it, Jarroot.”

“Jarod,” Desdemona said.

“Yes yes yes. I know the boy’s name, no need to keep repeating it.”

The trio made their way to the dining table. Gerald and Mrs. Danforth had already ben seated, and one of them was ready to commit heinous acts on the latecomers. The other sat and worked on looking awkwardly at the far wall.

“Who’s that?” Mr. Danforth pointed at Gerald.

“Our invited guest. Gerald Portnoy. Desdemona’s date.” Mrs. Danforth’s words were clipped and tinged with judgement.

“Ah. I say, Jenson Pootnoodle, Des already has a date. Bad luck, old man.”

Mrs. Danforth stared at her husband in amazement. She had long known that he was scatterbrained and a little dithery, but he had reached new heights of not-with-it-ness in a very short time.

“Harold! Mr. Portnoy is her date, not this – this – raggedy specimen before you. He seems a nice enough person, but look at his clothes. His stubble, for God’s sake. The man can’t even be bothered to shave.”

“Ah, well, that’s as may be, but he helped me win Kooky Crosswords. And he’s betrothed to Des.” Mr. Danforth helped himself to a large slice of roast beef and got busy cutting it into bite-sized pieces.

Mrs. Danforth stared at her husband and fingered the butter knife on her plate. The ripples in the pond had reached tsunamic proportions.

“Um, not betrothed. Just getting to know each other, really. I like him, though. Could be worth keeping, mother.”

Mrs. Danforth declined to sob, though her heart felt near to bursting with sorrow. She turned to Gerald. He had not stirred during this exchange, feeling slightly overwhelmed by the situation. CPA’s didn’t normally deal with such an outpouring of emotion.

“I’m so sorry, Gerald – “

“You may leave my house, Jeeper Puddlefoot. My daughter is smitten with another.”

“Gerald Portnoy,” Gerald said.

“That’s what I said. Now, Mr. Prunenoodle, leave!”

He did so, and with some alacrity. Mrs. Danforth stared at her husband, unable to comprehend what had come over her husband. He gave her an imposing look.

“I’m a Kooky Crossword winner, thanks to this young man. Uh – Jabroot.”

“Jarod.”

“That’s what I said. Perfect man for Des. I will hear no more on the matter, Trish.” Mr. Danforth’s eyes blazed with a fervor that both frightened and impressed Mrs. Danforth.

“Fine. She can marry a penniless – “

“Not quite penniless. I’m a successful hedge fund manager, and I live two blocks over.”

Six eyes stared at Jarod. His two eyes scanned the others, holding them for a few seconds before moving on to the next pair of eyes.

Mrs. Danforth went through another transformation. Jarod was suddenly more handsome, and quite taller than she had given him credit for. Yes, she deemed him taller than any man she had ever met.

“Is this wonderful young man worthy of our daughter?”

Desdemona looked at her mom, smiling at her for the first time in months.

“The young man and I will determine that in the fullness of time, mother.”

“Tartar,” Mr. Danforth murmured. “Should have seen that one.”

Mrs. Danforth nodded. She was lost in thought. Her husband had become rather attractive, and she was anxious to see how this would work out in the future.

The younger couple escaped to the cool night air. Desdemona’s heart swooned just a little, and Jarod’s eyes sparkled the perfect amount of sparkling. A date was made for Wednesday.

How this couple fares is a story for another day. The future will write what transpires, in honest letters and the true accounting of events. The pond, for now, is as smooth as glass.

July 28, 2023 11:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

82 comments

Ellen Neuborne
17:33 Aug 01, 2023

I love what you've done with language in this piece – weaving the Downton Abbey with Friday at Starbucks. Very entertaining read.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
19:05 Aug 01, 2023

Thanks so much for the praise, Ellen. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the tale and commented on it. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessie Laverton
09:02 Jul 31, 2023

Well you got a way with words. And names!!! This really made me smile while I was reading.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
10:01 Jul 31, 2023

Thanks so much, Jessie, for the kind words. I really appreciate you reading and commenting on my little tale. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Delbert Griffith
10:01 Jul 31, 2023

Thanks so much, Jessie, for the kind words. I really appreciate you reading and commenting on my little tale. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Ken Cartisano
03:53 Jul 31, 2023

Yes, a very entertaining story, rich characters, lots of fun and clever quips. I like the dialogue. Your vocabulary and choice of words is key to the flow and bounce of the story. The Kooky crossword and its crazy clues is a brilliant literary device that would carry the story if needed, but becomes more of a sail that lifts and heels your little old 'story ship.' Very, very, clever and creative writing. 'A former member of the Quisite club'. A range mint. Funny stuff. (I found two typos, one of them was the word ben. The other was an omi...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
08:55 Jul 31, 2023

Thanks so much, Ken, for the praise, and also for finding some typos. I swear those things sneak in when I go to bed! LOL I'm pleased that you liked the dialogue, for I've been working on dialogue lately. I'm glad to see that the hard work has paid off. Again, thank you, my friend, for your comments and the time you took to read my little tale. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:48 Jul 30, 2023

Hugely entertaining story that seemed timeless. I also thought it was 19th century until the coffee shop and laptop scene. Its an interesting dichotomy, little bit steampunk in a way, I quite like it! Even the names are out of time in the setting. Great story!

Reply

11:32 Aug 02, 2023

It seemed modern yet stuck in the past at te same time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Delbert Griffith
13:50 Jul 30, 2023

Thanks so much, Derrick. I appreciate the kind words and the insights that you shared. I modeled the characters after a P.G Wodehouse family, from his "Blandings Castle" works. There was also a two-season television show named "Blandings." The old-and-new dichotomy is because the ideas came from something old, but I wanted to modernize it a bit while still keeping the integrity of the old-time characters. The steampunk feel was unintentional, but I'm glad you saw some elements of it. Steampunk is kind of fresh and exciting in literature, ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Kevin Logue
10:30 Jul 30, 2023

Mr Danforth became John Cleese to me after completing that crossword, ha. Alot of humour with the name changes. You have a clear mastery of vocabulary to do a story like this. Excellently done. I honestly thought this was set in the 19th century until Desdemona left with her laptop. A unique mix of old and new made for a real interesting read.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
10:43 Jul 30, 2023

Thanks, Kevin, for the kind words and for taking the time to read and comment on my little tale. As you say, a mix of old-world sensibilities and modern life. Although you saw John Cleese in Mr. Danforth (a worthy model, to be sure), I was channeling Lord Emsworth from the P.G. Wodehouse characters at Blandings castle. A definite British vibe, to be sure. I have considered doing a veiled pastiche of "Fawlty Towers" one week, and this might be the week. John Cleese is a genius in his field, and I'd love nothing better than to honor his tal...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
23:48 Aug 29, 2023

Hi Delbert, Oh congratulations!! This was an outstanding shortlist! I love the way that you created these characters and that you chose to write in an I love the way that you created these characters, and that you chose to write in an author’s perspective. Sometimes, I worry that we have a too romantic view of the world simply because we spend so much time creating our own. And I love how you decided to end the peace with the reality of the world. We may never know what happens next, but we can always hope and pray for the best. Nice work!!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
00:07 Aug 30, 2023

Thanks again, Amanda, for reading my little tale and sharing your insights. This was a different kind of writing for me. Very lighthearted and almost effervescent in that there was no real tragedy going on. i need to expand my writing, I think, and humor is something I need to work on to be better at writing the total package. Not that I'll ever be brilliant, but to be competent would be nice. Again, thank you, my friend. You're a class act, Amanda. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
15:04 Aug 18, 2023

Delbert! Amazing wordsmith, you. Too many hilarious turns of phrase to list. Master of the resonant understatement. Such a pleasure to read this, with sharp dialogue, well drawn characters and laugh out loud situations. A masterpiece.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
15:11 Aug 18, 2023

Wow, thanks so much, John. I really appreciate that you found the humor to be, well, humorous. LOL I wanted to create a lighthearted look at dysfunctional family life. It was fun to write, and I'm so pleased that you found it enjoyable. Such a change from my usual dark pieces, yes? LOL Cheers, my friend!

Reply

John K Adams
15:27 Aug 18, 2023

In lesser hands, your formal language would just end sounding stuffy. But your masterful irony kills it every time. This is a gem.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
15:28 Aug 18, 2023

You are a true gentleman, my friend. I can't thank you enough for your praise, and for taking the time to read my little tales. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:28 Aug 16, 2023

A witty fun story Delbert. A modern day comedy of manners with touches of Jane Austen. Enjoyable to read. The father sounds like a very sensible man. He certainly understands his daughter’s needs. Great characters here too.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
09:17 Aug 16, 2023

Thanks so much, Helen, for the praise and the commentary. I appreciate you taking the time to read and reflect on my tale. I like the father the best. He has his quirks, but they're harmless, and he did stand up to his wife for the sake of the daughter. I trust a man who does crossword puzzles. LOL Thanks again, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ela Mikh
16:17 Aug 15, 2023

Really enjoyed the story - Gerald Portnoy? Where did this name come from? It's very curious. There are a few phrases that can be carried over into day-to-day life. The one about a "better half" - I may just steal it from you :)

Reply

Delbert Griffith
18:48 Aug 15, 2023

Thanks so much for the praise, Ela. I'm pleased that you liked my little tale about a dysfunctional family. It was a fun write, for sure. The name "Portnoy" came from an old novel by Phillip Roth, in which Alexander Portnoy is the MC. Gerald Portnoy is a more modern and less lusty version of the same character. Thanks again, my friend. I appreciate your comments. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
19:54 Aug 08, 2023

I love this mash-up of a modern-day wealthy family's domestic drama and the witty 19th-century banter of Austen or James. Very entertaining. Your writing is solid, evocative, and fresh. These were some of my favorite lines: "A drive of three miles accomplished the twin objectives of getting Desdemona to her well-lighted and well-patronized hideaway, and to disperse her anger. To further alleviate the latter symptom, she ordered decaffeinated coffee." --I feel you, Desdemona; I need to cut back myself. "Desdemona admitted to herself that sh...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
22:24 Aug 08, 2023

Thank you very much, Aeris, for the kind words and the congratulations. I'm especially pleased that you find my writing to be 'fresh" and 'evocative." That means a lot coming from an amazing writer like you. Your favorite passages were also mine, my friend. I look at authors that describe things well, descriptions that stick. You are one of those authors, for you seem to have the gift of easy yet vivid description. When I go back and look at some of my earlier tales, I see glaring deficiencies in description. One of the great things about...

Reply

Aeris Walker
22:01 Aug 10, 2023

Trust me, I see those in my early stories too. Not just deficiencies, but straight-up errors. I've learned so much, like you said, from reading other authors here and putting into practice those elements that you find just "work." Not to mention, there are so many great resources out there for studying the writing craft. "Luxuries like food and habitation" ain't that the truth?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Story Time
16:37 Aug 07, 2023

Congrats Delbert! I thought this was such a well thought-out story with everything making sense right up to the lovely ending.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
10:57 Aug 08, 2023

Thanks so much, Kevin for the kind words and the congrats. Truly appreciated, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
08:44 Aug 06, 2023

Congrats. I now know why you appear here every two weeks.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
15:40 Aug 06, 2023

LOL Thanks so much, Philip. You're a kind man! Cheers!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
18:53 Aug 07, 2023

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
23:35 Aug 05, 2023

Great writing! The characterization of Desdemona upsetting the family dynamics to choose her own suitor is a good conflict--and your word choices and descriptions are great! The characters, while we only get a small glimpse, are authentic. You can see Desdemona adopting some of her eccentric parents traits--the father wants his picture on "The Wall of Fame"--and his daughter is likewise driven for success and recognition--having written six books with what she regards as a "tripe" premise--and her mother Patricia is impressed by men with ...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
15:40 Aug 06, 2023

Thanks so much, Jonathan, for the kind words and your especially sharp insights. You really saw what I intended. Nice! Yes, old-world mores clash with modern sensibilities. Des is a hybrid, and whether or not this generational change works out for her is still in the air. The characterization, as you pointed out, was crucial to the tale. Actions and words were driven by personalities. Again, thank you, my friend, for such an excellent commentary. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:01 Aug 05, 2023

I really enjoyed this. Very well structured 👍😎 Congratulations on the shortlist!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
15:36 Aug 06, 2023

Thank you very much, Cecilia, for the kind words and the congrats. I intended to portray the clash between old-world mores and modern sensibilities. I'm pleased that you liked the structure. That's always important, yes? Again, thank you, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sophia Gavasheli
10:50 Aug 05, 2023

Delbert, this was so funny, especially the kooky crossword clues, lol. Mr. Danforth is the GOAT, and the banter between Desdemona and Jarod was very well done. And the prose! This was so Jane Austen-y; I've never seen anyone but her (and now you) use the word 'alacrity.' The style is kind of oxymoronic because the story takes place on the modern day, but it still fits so well, especially as Mrs. Danforth is stuck in the Jane Austen era. I also really liked how the formal/pompous language was interspersed with modern phrases (eg. "not-with-...

Reply

Delbert Griffith
15:34 Aug 06, 2023

Thanks so much for the praise, the insights, and the congrats, Sophia. Always appreciated from an excellent writer like you. It was my intent to have a clash of cultures. The parents, with their old-world outlook and mores, versus the younger generation's outlook on life and relationships. And, I agree with you about the dad; he's a hoot! A dithery but kind-hearted man is always a fun write. LOL Again, thank you for the comments and the congrats. Truly. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:47 Aug 05, 2023

Congrats on your story! Your style is original. I’d like to read more plots you’ve come up with. -H.M.Pierce

Reply

Delbert Griffith
07:36 Aug 05, 2023

Thanks so much, Harmonious. I appreciate the kind words and the congrats. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:38 Aug 04, 2023

Congratulations on the Short List. Didn't you do well. Not sure what era this is set in. Seems old fashioned in a modern sort of way. I thought maybe the man Jarod was actually the man Mum had invited for dinner, but - perversely - two beaus showed up . How awkward. Hilarious read. What a prompt to write this to! Read again to check for the mention of unicorns or rainbows. Not there. But everything else you could think of was present. Such a cool story.

Reply

Delbert Griffith
23:38 Aug 04, 2023

Thanks so much, Kaitlyn, for the kind words. I also appreciate that you took the time to read and comment on my little tale. Yes, the awkwardness made it fun, as did the dithery father. I had a lot of fun writing it. Who doesn't love an awkward dinner? LOL Thanks again, my friend. Truly. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
16:54 Aug 04, 2023

An exquisite arrangement of words- and some tartar to top it off! I loved this - especially with the prompt. Everything is looked at as perfect in the beginning, but then it turns out each person is looking at the wrong thing, and not quite understanding what is important to each other. Congratulations!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
20:18 Aug 04, 2023

Thanks so much, Marty, for the kind words and the congrats - and the insights. Nice! I had fun with this tale because of what you mentioned - perception versus reality. And, I love a dithery dad. LOL Again, thank you, my friend. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
16:05 Aug 04, 2023

Well, well, what have we here? Seems the author of this piece just grew to skyscraper height. I am more thrilled than I can say, Del - this is great, the story, the recognition, all of it. Congratulations, my talented buddy!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
16:09 Aug 04, 2023

Thank you so much, Susan. It received a major assist from you, as per. I'll have a celebratory drink and raise a glass in your honor. This wouldn't have happened without your help, my good friend. So, thanks again, for all your insights and suggestions. Cheers!

Reply

Susan Catucci
17:30 Aug 04, 2023

Always a pleasure, seriously. And every time your wonderful tales are applauded, I have a great week that follows, lots to smile about! I'll be tipping a toast your way this evening as well - celebrate, Del. This is truly wonderful!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:50 Aug 04, 2023

Of course this is brilliant. You use archetypes to immerse us fully into a world with no stereotype in sight. (Jarod's a hedge fund manager. Of course he is.) Best line among some very great ones: "jabbing at each other with marshmallow words" Well done, Del. Another one for the Griffith anthology!

Reply

Delbert Griffith
16:02 Aug 04, 2023

LOL The Griffith anthology. It sounds so impressive; I might start believing it's possible to have one of those things. I'm really pleased that you liked my little tale. It was a fun write, and the intent, as you surmised, was to explode/avoid/sidestep stereotypes. Nicely done, my friend. Again, thank you, Deidra, for your comments. Truly. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.